PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not like ADR's?

Cozfamilyof6
08-23-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't know....I just don't like making reservations so far in advance for retaurants in certain parks or resorts..... Even if the restaurant is good, who know if I'll feel like eating there the day I of the reservation. Another thing is the timing - if reservations are made too late you have to take whatever time is available and basically plan your whole day around mealtime.

We did ADR's last year and were okay with most of the days/times, except for twice when the time interrupted our activities.

For our upcoming trip I made all my ADR's months ago and am now trying to schedule our park visits/activities around our meals - that's kinda silly isn't it? But that's the way it is....:unsure:

Madame Leona
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I have to agree with you. We usually make 1 or 2 adrs for a favorite restaurant and character dining but the rest of the time we wing it or have counter service. I don't use the dining plan for the same reason. I don't want food to have that much control over my vacation.

Polynesian Dweller
08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
ADRs have become a necessary evil for us. They really do take away from the spontaneity of the trip and I agree with the comments about it being hard to do that far in advance. But with the crowds, what are the alternatives. Going back to the old days of the scramble for a table isn't a great solution either.

disneymom15
08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
We've never done ADR's. If we decide we want a nice TS meal, we make it at the park. If we can't get a reservation, we'll just eat at a CS with more options. I don't like to have to plan our day around meal times.

SurferStitch
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
We've always planned our days around our meals. It's really easy since we get park hoppers, and we aren't park commandos anyway. I mean, we don't plan out our days before we head to WDW, but we get up in the morning, decide where we want to go, and just make sure we get to dinner in time. We can spend a day at MK, then hop over to Epcot for dinner at Le Cellier. Dinners are a huge part of our trip, and we love planning for them. We also love dressing up for dinner, so we like to have all dinners planned in advance so we know what to pack.

We've found that having a plan for meals makes planning our days so much easier. There's no going back and forth trying to decide where to eat. No time is wasted if we can't get into a restaurant trying to find another place to eat. ADR's really make our trips go so smoothly. :thumbsup:

lightyearfan
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
me and dw love to make adr's and we also love the ddp. heres why, after we make our reservations, we then go home and try to map out on which day that we want to do what? since now it's just me and dw( our dd is married and has just had a baby girl btw), we now have more fredom as far as dining is concerned because we all know that kids can be pretty picky when it comes to eating and we endoured that on so many past wdw trips, we also love the ddp because we do all of our evening meals at TS resturaunts and even for just the 2 of us it could cost between 80-100 bucks, ya i know but we do counter serivce for most of our breakfests except for when we eat breakfest at Boatwrights(POFQ), and for all of our lunch meals, so when it comes time for dinner we want to eat a little better. we also know what parks that we'll be at as well , this just makes it a little easier as far as the ADR's go, we do get the park hopper so if were at MK but have a 6:30 adr over in Canada at Epcot, we just hop the monorail and go have a wonderful meal catch illiminations, back on the monorail for wishes and spectromagic. what a night huh! enough of me ranting, at the end it's safe to say that ADR's and the DDP are not for everybody and that everybody will havesome sort of opionion abou these 2 hot topics

Victor

SLS-550
08-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree, a couple of adrs for our favorite places and wing the rest. I don't like to have the (Clark Griswald) itinerary. I like to be somewhat spontaneous.

We made 2 adrs for the same night by mistake, both reservation times were within 15 mins of each other, using the same phone#, once we realized our mistake we called to cancel 1, sure enough we had 2 reservations with no questions asked. My point being, I feel as if some people make multiple adrs for the same night to keep their options open, not canceling until the last minute or doing a no-show,:mad: because as of now there is no penalty for it, except for a select few which require a c/c#., and a 48 hr. cancelation.

Maybe if more restaurants had a penalty for last minute adr cancelations it would open more adrs for other people, or walk-ins.

Or maybe some people just see it as alls fair in love & Walt Disney War:thedolls:

wire0monkey
08-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't plan my day around the meal. I plan where we're going to be for the day and then plan the meals, based on that. When I call for ADRs, I know basically which parks I'm going to be in on which days and I have 2 or 3 TS options picked that are convenient to the park. I also try to plan some of my TS as breakfasts (Boma, Kona Cafe, character breakfast, etc.) so that we can go wherever we like after the TS breakfast.

thrillme
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I totally DESPISE ADR's. I like to walk up to a resturant and get in within the hour at most. Unless I'm planning a PARTY with OTHER families then I won't make an ADR. I eat when I'm hungry and where I'm hungry. I don't want to be making a mad dash to the other side of the world just because my tummy's growling.

At home my whole life seems to be on a schedule. Gotta wake up at a certian time, be ready at a certian time, get the kids off to school, be at work, go to lunch, etc...

When I'm on vacation I might want to take in an extra show or a nap or a swim...whatever...

DessertDivaFL
08-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I like to made ADR's for certain popular restaurants to guarantee a seat. My son is autistic so he doesn't wait well at all so ADR's save us. We only make one per day though.

Clotho
08-23-2007, 02:59 PM
We've always planned our days around our meals. It's really easy since we get park hoppers, and we aren't park commandos anyway. I mean, we don't plan out our days before we head to WDW, but we get up in the morning, decide where we want to go, and just make sure we get to dinner in time. We can spend a day at MK, then hop over to Epcot for dinner at Le Cellier. Dinners are a huge part of our trip, and we love planning for them. We also love dressing up for dinner, so we like to have all dinners planned in advance so we know what to pack.

We've found that having a plan for meals makes planning our days so much easier. There's no going back and forth trying to decide where to eat. No time is wasted if we can't get into a restaurant trying to find another place to eat. ADR's really make our trips go so smoothly. :thumbsup:

This is EXACTLY us, SurferStitch. Meals are a big part of it for us, and we do enjoy dressing up a little and really making it a special time of day, a little different focus than the rest of our day. A chance to freshen up, "grow up" a little (since we have been giggling kids all day on rides, now we get to "play adults" Haha), sit back and relax in a little more quiet atmosphere (or maybe whoop it up, if we choose a character or dinner show). We shift gears, so we enjoy planning things out for it.

And this is why I think ADR's are a must. I would HATE all the extra hoofing it one would have to do in order to try and find a restaurant you could eat at. Can you imagine if all the people now making ADR's couldn't, and instead we were all walking around, standing in lines, hoping we could find someplace we wanted to eat every night? YUCK!

One thing I DO agree with is that 180 days out is RIDICULOUS! I think a 2-3 month reservation limit would be ideal. Of course Disney likes it this way. THEY can budget and plan for their expected occupancy based on these estimated attendance figures. So they want us to book out everything as far in advance as possible. But it is miserable for us park goers who don't want to have to plan every detail of our trip 6 months away...and then sit on our thumbs. I think most of us would prefer to make overarching plans 6 months out, and get into the details of the ressies and park plans closer to the date. At least that is the consensus I get around most discussion boards I belong to--we love to plan plan plan, but we prefer to get closer to the date before we start putting our final stamp of approval on our set schedules.

And considering a lot of Disney's own scheduling doesn't come out that far in advance, it is really unfair. Park times, parades, fireworks, dinner shows...we can look at historical data and extrapolate, but sometimes we don't have all that info when Disney is expecting us to know where and when we will be for dinner every night. That is kinda lame...

Cozfamilyof6
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
One thing I DO agree with is that 180 days out is RIDICULOUS! I think a 2-3 month reservation limit would be ideal. Of course Disney likes it this way. THEY can budget and plan for their expected occupancy based on these estimated attendance figures. So they want us to book out everything as far in advance as possible. But it is miserable for us park goers who don't want to have to plan every detail of our trip 6 months away...and then sit on our thumbs.

And considering a lot of Disney's own scheduling doesn't come out that far in advance, it is really unfair. Park times, parades, fireworks, dinner shows...we can look at historical data and extrapolate, but sometimes we don't have all that info when Disney is expecting us to know where and when we will be for dinner every night. That is kinda lame...

VERY WELL SAID!!!!

MNMS
08-23-2007, 04:21 PM
ADR's aren't bad -- only if you are a slave to them.

We use ADR's solely for character meals (and maybe the Fantasmic dinner package) -- it's nice to be able to plan with young kids (4 and 6) and know you're going to get in to see the characters. Other than that we avoid most ADR's becuase (i) we like flexibility and (ii) at this point rides/attractions take center stage.

If there is a particular restaraunt that we like we may book an ADR there, but cancel if it does not fit our schedule once we're at WDW.

SurferStitch
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm right there with ya, Clotho....

I think 180 is ridiculous, too. A necessary evil, but absolutely crazy.

And, DH and I are also giggling little kids at the parks. We also like to "grow up" at most dinners, just like you.

We don't, however, grow up for character breakfasts...and several of those are a must for every trip! :D

LoriMistress
08-23-2007, 06:02 PM
On our last trip, I didn't make ADRs because I thought it was too late to make last minute ADRs. Plus, my DH stressed to me he didn't want to be tied down to anything. Planning on which park to go on which day, arriving early and hitting the must do's first...that's was alright to him. We were able to get some restaurants okay with little waits (in fact, we got to walk into MK twice to eat dinner at CP with no ADRs before the parks opened), but there were several times, even though we arrived at the restaurants early before the big crowds, we still had to wait around twenty minutes because we never had ADRs. This time around, I had to call Disney Dining at 4am to get ADRs that I wanted at my 180 day mark. It was a huge pain and I was very tired and was freaking out a bit that I might not get the restaurants I want; but I got the restaurants for the times that I wanted. When I told DH how we needed to make ADRs for this upcoming trip since we're going around December, he was actually okay with it. In fact, there were several restaurants that he wanted to try that we never had the chance (or the cash) last time.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I must say that I do not like the 180 day mark either. This trip is totally a new experience for us. We have always been the type that flew by the seat of their pants most days. We would schedule at least 2 character meals on previous visits. This year totally stressed me out. We were fortunate enough to get in on the free dining but boy did we work for it! Scrambling for ADR's was ridiculous. We did get everything we needed and exact times we wanted for our 10 days but boy, I don't think I want to do that again. It's way too scheduled but it was necessary to properly use the dining plan. We did get into some restaurants we normally would not have eaten in because it is free! I don't think I could do this every trip. I need a vacation just from scheduling our ADR's!

vamaggie
08-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't really mind the ADRs or the 180 day window for that matter, but I would LOATHE the alternative. Imagine if there were no ADRs and everything was walk up first come first served. Ever been to a restaurant that doesn't take ressies? on a Sturday at 6pm? in the summer? Now imagine you've been in the parks all day, walking with 3 kids and looking for someplace to eat before the kids (and DH) completely lose it.:mad: Some of the CS places even have long waits to place your order and then get your food. I don't know what else WDW could do except ADRs with as many folks as visit there. We make ours for the places we want to eat and if our plans change that day, we call and cancel and re group. To be able to eat at some of the great WDW restaurants, it's soemthing I am willing to do.

AllDisney
08-23-2007, 08:23 PM
We always have looked forward to the end of the day & enjoying a nice TS meal. It's always been a part of our vacation & that will never change.

I don't mind the 180 day window if that is what you have to do to ensure you're eating at the restaurant of your choice. We plan our dinners around what parks we are at on a particular day. We try to take advantage of extra hours and go from there.

I do hope that if people can't make their reservation they are considerate enough to cancel ASAP.

I DO remember going to a park, walking up to a restaurant and making reservations right then and there for THAT VERY night:mickey:

Looking forward to our first FREE dining vacation:party:

sheepishlambert
08-23-2007, 08:58 PM
We like to have ADRs for special meals or
meals that are tied to special events we want to
see. We rarely make more than one per day because one big meal at Disney in one day is enough for us. What I don't like are the braggers who are proud of making 10-12 adrs
per day that fill up all the space for others. Disney should put a limit on number of ADRS
allowed per day.

mouseketeer mom
08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
I make them, think about them, change them, make new ones, cancel old ones, think of other ones, all from the time the 180 day window starts to the time we get there. Then I think about them while I'm there, and we have changed them on the day of them too, while on our trips.
Its really nuts. Impossible really. We do like a sit down table service each night. We look forward to our dinners, disney's dining experiences can be so much fun! Unlike anywhere else! Why the choices! The theming! The fun! The terrific food! Some of the highlights of our trips have centered around the dining choices we have made. The laughs at Whispering Canyon., the joy on my kiddo's faces at Crystal Palace, my husband attempting to speak French at Le Chefs while the rest of us almost peed in our pants!, Aunt whoever making my husband set the table and teasing him thruout the meal at 50's prime time, My daughter almost gagging from the sauerkraut smell at Biergarten and begging to leave!, My son singing in a microphone at WCC, The warm and fuzzy feeling we get at Ohanas..Mickey surprising us with a BD cake for my son at the garden grill without us even asking!...just to name a very few.
So I toil about making those ADR's. Lots of those dinners have been truely magical for us. I try so hard to make sure I'm making terrific choices each trip. Repeating the highlights, and carefully choosing new ones! Not just for the food all of the time, but for the experience.
I think it is near impossible to know where the day will take you and how it will unfold. Disney is spontaneous and light, and ADR's, well, their just NOT. So I do my best each trip, but its not without a TON of thought and effort. Oh. And headaches!

piratelilostitch
08-24-2007, 10:21 AM
I went last year during the free dining and didn't make any ADR's because it was a surprise trip for the kids and I wanted them to be able to choose where they were going to eat and when. I was soooooooooo worried that we wouldn't get into any of the character meals but figured they would be happy just to be in the parks!
Each day we would figure out what park we were going to be in the next day and where the kids wanted to eat. I would then go to the front desk or pick up the phone and ask for ADR's at those table-service restaurants. (character meals only, we walked in to Sci-fi and were seated 15min later) We got into every restaurant we wanted. Saw the Princesses in Norway, Pooh and Piglet in CP, Lilo and Stitch Breakfast, and the Fantasmic preferred seating meal. :cloud9:

We are going again this September and I have put off doing ADR's cause again I can't figure out what I'm having for dinner till about 2 min before I have it!! Worried because people were having a hard time getting ADR's I phoned and set up a few. Got the times I wanted on the days I wanted no problem (princesses, lilo/stitch) so again I will put off the rest of them till we arrive!!

I think if you have to eat at specific times and can plan your days so well that they work for you go for ADR's but I think there should be a limit so that people can't overbook and then there could be more flexibility for those of us who aren't as well organized. :thumbsup:

RALPH
08-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I am a big fan of WDW dining, insisting on a nice meal every night at a table service restaurant. Unfortunately, ADR's and planning are a necessary evil if you want to eat at a TS restaurant. Since my wife and I are not seat of the pants types, we plan our meals, then out park plans. I find planning a WDW vacation fun, so it is no big deal.

Example, If, we have an ADR at the Yachtsman Steakhouse, it is not very restricting to our plans. Touring MGM, and Epcot make sense with this ADR, but it does not prevent us from going to another park. We are back at the hotel by 2 or so, to get out of the hot afternoon sun and have plenty of time to take a quick dip in the pool before dinner.

It all depends on what floats your boat.

brianlw71
08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Never made an ADR, never refused for service.

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
In the past I've only made one ADR and have always been able to get into the restaurants. Since they had the free ddp this time we got that and tried to make a few reservations about 5 weeks ago and almost everything is booked. I'm hoping we can get something better once we arrive. We aren't going because of the free ddp. We got for our anniversary and love the fact that there are very few people in the park compared to the rest of the year (less waiting and less germs).

I have one problem with the ADR. I think it should be set up just like every other restaurant in America. About only 25-30% of the dining room can be reserved. That way people have the opportunity to walk up and wait if they'd like and people who like to have everything planned can have their ADR. I don't like that they say you can be turned away especially if you come during the slow time of the year.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think they are great for some people but Disney should allow for people who don't like to plan exactly when they are going to eat.

mermaidmarian
08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I loathe ADRs and I make them only for 1 or 2 special meals that we "simply must" include in our trip - these are usually character meals, as we travel with kids. We don't participate in the dining plan in part because I just don't want to get involved in this major hassle.

I have been really blasted before (no biggie - it's just my opinion) that Disney should allow up to 20% of its tables set aside for walk up guests. I think that there is a really significant (probably well over 20%) percentage of guests who don't want to have to plan when and where they are going to be while on a WDW vacation. Since they opened up the booking window to 180 days, things have spun completely out of control, IMO, when there is virtually no table service dining available 3 months in advance of a trip.

I do NOT think that guests coming to WDW "last minute" or "first timers" should be shut out of the opportunity to partake of dining opportunities. The ADR is a great way to allow for people who really want to plan to make sure that they can eat where they want, when they want, to do so - but it is now the Goliath that is dictating so much of many people's trips to WDW (and I am not talking about the people who like to plan). I see no reason why a % of table tops set aside can not similarly accomodate other guests needs.

This week I was in the concierge line at PORiverside to pick up some tickets I had requested and the 2 separate guests ahead of me and the 1 guest behind (these were all members of different groups) were quite disgruntled that, although they received a special dining promotion - it's value was sorely diminished by the fact that the availablity of dining was extremely limited and booking windows quite narrow. Each complained, eg. that they didn't want and simply couldn't know whether on Monday they would be at Epcot or at Blizzard Beach enough in advance to schedule their meals, as their plans would be weather contingent.

I recognize that the dining plan has been a very successful means of increasing attendance and lengthening stays at the resorts, particularly during the historically slow times. But it does seem that it has taken on a life of its own, which greatly detracts from the ability of all guests to enjoy their WDW vacation to the same degree.

The "best" of DIsney should not be reserved for those who planned their trip 6 months in advance - particularly since it has no relation to what or how much you are paying.

disneynarula
08-31-2007, 09:14 PM
I am not crazy about ADRs either. It makes it especially hard to make a last minute trip and want to eat anywhere decent.

I also hate planning my days around my meals.

I wish they would change it to a smaller time frame beforehand.

EmmMOM2
09-01-2007, 08:02 AM
We do ADR's mostly because we have to. Though we will eat in the food court quite a bit too. Generally we will plan at least 1 maybe 2 character breakfasts, the rest of the time do quick breakfasts. Then we will make a dinner reservation for maybe 5 out of the 7 nights. Lunch we ALWAYS just eat snacks or something quick at a place where ADR's are not necessary.
ADR's are needed if it was first come first serve you'd be waiting all day to eat. ;)

BelleLovesTheBeast
09-01-2007, 01:46 PM
My husband and I traveling a week later to celebrate our anniversary because we wanted to enjoy the F&WF and booked our trip in April. We were disappointed to find out that the events we wanted to attend took ADR and were already sold out (found it on another website). I don't think for special events Disney should take ADR (and not have it on their website or tell people who call about their reservations). I called the day that they started taking ADR and no one bothered to tell me.

Other than the fact that we love Disney we go for a stress free vacation. One were we can do what we want on our own time and not have to worry about anything. This trip it isn't that way. We are having to worry about where to eat and what park to be in. It's not the same. We normally go in Sept and this time because of the FDP we having to worry about getting ADR and not being able to get them. It is very disappointing.

I think they should do reservations 30 days out, not 180! The FDP having already booked up and having difficulty getting ADR and hearing that I might not be able to get into TS doesn't make me want to purchase the DDP in the future.

merlinmagic4
09-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I have to agree with you. We usually make 1 or 2 adrs for a favorite restaurant and character dining but the rest of the time we wing it or have counter service. I don't use the dining plan for the same reason. I don't want food to have that much control over my vacation.

I agree 100%! We make a few ADRs each trip but certainly not everyday. I find that when I do have ADRs I'm not hungry when it is time to eat. I'd much rather be spontaneous but that's just not the way it is!

pixiesmimi
09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Always before we have planned out where we want to eat before getting there and let everyone in the family choose a place one day. Eating is very important to my DH and one year we spent most of the days arguing about where we were going to eat because everyone didn't want to eat there. Last year we did the DDP and planned it out very well with most TS being for character breakfasts. The only problem I had with this is that they were so early in order to not waste park time. My DH likes to eat a big breakfast and snack the rest of the day or eat a big dinner at a nice place. We were able to wait until we got to the parks sometimes and make reservations then. But this trip with the free DDP I saw people being turned away at all of our TS because they were booked solid and weren't taking walk ins. Some people didn't understand that you had to make ADRs to get in and were going from place to place only to be turned away. I don't like that so we make the reservations. I don't like having to plan my day around it and not being able to use fast passes or ride a ride because it is too close to our ressies but with that many people eating in the parks, that is just the way it is. We did learn this time though to only make ressies in the middle of the afternoon or later except for breakfast because we had some noon meals reserved and we really weren't hungry after having breakfast and felt like it was a waste. Unfortunately, we had to have some noon meals because everything else was booked up even though we made our reservations 3 months out. We like to try somewhere different every trip but do still have our favorites that we try to hit. We think the DDP is the way to go now because we don't want to eat CS every meal and after seeing the prices of some of our TS meals this time ($91 for 2 at The Coral Reef at noon?!) And this meal was smaller than Le Chefs and a lot more expensive. I think more people would go to the TS restaurants without DDP if they lowered the prices a little. Some are really just out of hand.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-03-2007, 08:55 AM
I totally DESPISE ADR's. I like to walk up to a resturant and get in within the hour at most. Unless I'm planning a PARTY with OTHER families then I won't make an ADR. I eat when I'm hungry and where I'm hungry. I don't want to be making a mad dash to the other side of the world just because my tummy's growling.

At home my whole life seems to be on a schedule. Gotta wake up at a certian time, be ready at a certian time, get the kids off to school, be at work, go to lunch, etc...

When I'm on vacation I might want to take in an extra show or a nap or a swim...whatever...

:thumbsup: I agree with you.

We only have on ADR at Akershus for our vacation starting next week. We only made that one because my little girl loves to eat dinner with the Princesses and we did not want to risk not getting a table, especially with FD going on.

I know that they are necessary because it would be nuts without them, I just don't like the entire process.

#1donaldfan
09-03-2007, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE= ....I just don't like making reservations so far in advance ..... Even if the restaurant is good, - and basically plan your whole day around mealtime.

:[/QUOTE]

I agree!!! We like "flying by night" and waking up, guessing which park we'll go to....if you have all your breakfast, lunch and dinners set in advance how can you enjoy your day....you'll be too regimented, stuck to a schedule....kinda like work, huh?? Unfortunatley we have to make them too, just to be able to eat...if not, you'll be waiting in a stand by line for hours.....

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I have to agree that the alternative to ADRs would be a total nightmare. I think it's the best way to do it.

Disney dining is one of our favorite parts of our WDW visits. It gives us a chance to visit different resorts and enjoy dining experiences we may not have. We hate to wait too long for tables at any restaurant, so there's nothing like knowing you have that ADR. I've seen the stunned look on people's faces when they wander up to the podium and ask for a table and they're told there's nothing available at all that evening. No fun!!!

mousetrapper
09-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh, and another thing: we generally don't plan each of our three meals each day. There are only a few times we plan breakfast or lunch (we must have breakfast -- Tonga Toast! -- at Kona Cafe one morning and we always plan a farewell lunch the day we leave). We used to do Cinderella's Royal Table ADR for breakfast but that just got too crazy, and our DDs are a little older now so it's not the "must do" it used to be.

So it's really only the dinners we put a lot of thought into and plan ahead of time with ADRs.

We also use the dining plan so we just "wing" our snacks and CS meals each day....

Nevergrowup
09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't mind ADR's. I make a few before the trip and we often change them after we arrive at WDW. Never really sure where we will be at any given time.

When free dining is offered it is a must because the resturants are so full. We used free dining once and we won't do it again. It is just way too much food and I'd rather use our AP discount for the guest room.

Jared
09-03-2007, 10:48 AM
My family could not handle waiting an hour for dinner, so I always make Advance Dining Reservations. Having to call five months prior to the trip is absurd, especially because we often don't plan our vacations so far in advance.

But the idea of trying to eat at our favorite restaurants--'Ohana, Boma, Kona Cafe--without an Advance Dining Reservation is a nightmare. Like other posters, we plan our day around meals.

We like to eat at resorts, so we simply spend a few hours at the closest park. If we're having dinner at Cape May Cafe, we tour the World Showcase that afternoon. For our annual meal at 'Ohana, we spend time at Magic Kingdom and take the monorail to the Polynesian.

It's not a perfect situation, but it always seems to work.

ElenitaB
09-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Our approach to ADR planning is based on our approach to our WDW vacation planning. If we're going X number of days, we figure out which park we would like to visit each day (including some repeats, of course). Once that plan is in place, we decide where and when we would like to eat. This system has always worked for us, even when Mother Nature interrupted our plans by sending Hurricane Frances our way in 2004.

For me, honestly, planning is way of entering into "vacation mode" way before we even set foot in a park. I may be crazy (no comments from the peanut gallery ;) ) but the planning and anticipation are all part of the fun.

DizneyFreak2002
09-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I do not mind making ADRs.... I just hate having to make them so far in advance.... I mean, 180 days out???? Sometimes I don't know I am even going to go to Disney World 100 days out, never mind 180.... And then, forget it... Trying to get an ADR at that time is not that easy..... A friend of mine just made vacation plans for November... He tried to book a few places and was told forget it.... We just turned the calendar to September, and already November ADRs are full for some places???

Clotho
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Just a quick relevant report from a gal who just got back from 10 days in the world during the DDP promotion.

Walk ups were impossible. The staff at the desks seemed harried, though kept their cool. We politely asked if there were any walk-in availability, and every time were told no. We asked if they knew of a time when it might be less busy, and they were not allowed to advise that (which I understood perfectly). Some people were quite angry adn rude with them, and I felt sorry for everyone--for the desk staff who have to take it, and for the walk-ins who clearly didn't understand the system in place demanded they make plans 6 months ago.

We had made ADR's for our really "must do" restaurants, and ended up canceling one of them because we wanted to do other plans. It was a bummer since it was 'Ohana, which we had never done, but it was evening EMH at MK and we weren't hungry yet, so we head there instead and called to cancel our ADR's. I hope someone who couldn't get in before got our spot!

We easily got walk-ins at Downtown Disney, at Planet Hollywood and twice at Fulton's. So there are options if you really want to do table service one night where you don't already have plans. We were turned away every time at 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi Dine In. We happened to be there on days when storms were dumping on everyone, and they ran for the nearest places to get out of the rain for a while. So if there had been walk-ins available that day, the rain secured them with soggy guests before we could get there. ;)

Princess'Mom
09-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I agree, a couple of adrs for our favorite places and wing the rest. I don't like to have the (Clark Griswald) itinerary. I like to be somewhat spontaneous.

haha::haha:
I totally agree! I make a couple of ADR's and wing it for the rest of the meals!! I'm on vacation! I don't want to have fixed schedule - that's too much like work!

Mommy2boys
09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I would like not having to make ADR just because of timing but I do llike planning ahead of time.