PDA

View Full Version : Vow Renewal/Wedding Question

meldan98
08-22-2007, 01:46 PM
My mom and dad are celebrating their 40th anniversary with a vow renewal on the Disney Cruise in Dec. I'm so excited for them. The only issue is, all of my mom and dad's friends and family have all decided for whatever reason, that they are not going to attend. My mom is heart broken. The only people that will be there are, me, my DH and my DD. My mom says that she is so embarassed that there will be no one there at the vow renewal. Has anyone had a wedding or vow renewal on the cruise, where the only people there are the ones participating? I keep telling her, that it really isn't a big deal.

Dedivah
08-22-2007, 02:15 PM
OH Wow!!! How sad!

Maybe they just can't afford it.

If you are an only child then I think that is will be just fine for just you guys to be there.

disneymom15
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree, the truly important people will be there. Tell her not to worry, it will be wonderful.

TammiMcMan
08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Maybe I'm not in the norm, but I honestly like more intimate gatherings myself, especially for a vow renewal. My neighbors did that on a recent cruise and it was just the two of them. Her husband set it all up and she said it was wildly romantic. I'm sorry that other friends and family can't be there, but it sounds like the two most important people are already present and it's wonderful that you and your family can be in attendance as well.

If the other members of the group live locally, perhaps you could throw a little gathering when you get back from the cruise.

Trust me, most weddings and renewals done on cruises have very few people in attendance. She shouldn't feel embarrassed at all.

RobWreck
08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
With a minimal amount of guests in attendance, the couple can really focus on what's important... each other, which is the whole reason for the ceremony in the first place. Tell 'em to just make sure to have a good photographer around for the people who couldn't make it...
Rob

thrillme
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Heavens...that sounds like a really expensive trip for a lot of the people AND it would require quite a bit of time off unless all her friends are independently wealthy and don't have to work. Using that much "vacation" time and money to attend a "vow renewal" wouldn't exactly be at the top of my list unless they paid for it. I just think it's a bit much to expect. Also those with kids have to take them out of school etc. I'm not going to go on a Disney Cruise without my child.

Just like the wedding the only two people who are the most important to one another will be there and involved. I recommend if she wants to have more people there then she holds off on the renewal till she gets back home and then holds one in a local "chapel", hotel or gazebo.

I think it's a rather nice idea to get married on a cruise especially if you want to keep things LOW key. That way you can invite people that would otherwise be insulted if they don't get an invitation but...you wouldn't have to shell out for an expensive reception and you'd be able to spend more time just the two of you.

TammiMcMan
08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Heavens...that sounds like a really expensive trip for a lot of the people AND it would require quite a bit of time off unless all her friends are independently wealthy and don't have to work. Using that much "vacation" time and money to attend a "vow renewal" wouldn't exactly be at the top of my list unless they paid for it. I just think it's a bit much to expect. Also those with kids have to take them out of school etc. I'm not going to go on a Disney Cruise without my child.The OP really didn't go into an explanation of how the vow renewal plans came about. It may have come secondary to this group of people planning a vacation together. Now the mom & dad have committed money to an event, while everyone else has backed out of the original vacation plans. It's difficult to comment on that aspect when we really don't know that part of the story.

I agree, that if it's more important to the mom that she renews her vows in front of friends & family, then hold off and do something local.

meldan98
08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
My mom has had this trip planned out for years. We initially had all of these people planning on attending and our travel agent set up pricing packages for lower cost rooms for land and sea and cruise only packages.

My mom had invited her best friend and her husband, who have the money, but she has become a pain in the neck and doesn't even really talk to my mom anymore. They have been friends for 20+ years and all of a sudden they have hardly had any communication at all. So my mom is heartbroken about the lost friendship and her not attending the vow renewal.

Another friend who was invited, just lost her mother, so that one I completely understand. Additional family was also invited, but my uncle is anti-disney and won't allow my aunt to come. My grandparents were invited, but my grandfather refuses to go because they went to Epcot right after opened, so he doesn't think they need to go again. We have a really small family so there aren't too many family to invtie. Another family that have been friends with my parents for a number of years were going to join us on the cruise changed their minds and are now going to Hawaii instead. I'm still holding out hope that our travel agent and her husband will be going on the cruise. She's been our agent for years and has never been on the cruise, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My mom is just disappointed that all of these people said they would come, and have now backed out. Cost and time aren't issues and no one has any kids in school, so that isn't an issue either.

I know that it will be really nice and intimate, and a lot of fun. We've bought the dresses and the plans are made, and it's going to be a beautiful moment for our family.

ElenitaB
08-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Melissa, I do hope that your mother realizes that the most important thing is what SHE and your father want to do. It's a shame that the others will not be there to share in their joy, but they are almost secondary.

Many blessings on their day as they renew their vows to each other and celebrate their love! I'm glad that you will be there to share the day.

Please let us know how it goes... I think a wedding/vow renewal at sea or at Castaway Cay would be :cloud9: