PDA

View Full Version : Disney cruise w/ baby?

maizey05
08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Just looking into the future a little. We haven't done a vacation to any place Disney this year, as DS was born in Feb. I am seriously feeling like I'm going through Disney withdrawls!!! Just wondering if next year (maybe early 08'), it would be silly to consider a cruise? Do you think it would be easier/more enjoyable to take a 1 yr old on a cruise, or to the parks etc.? :roo:

Dedivah
08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I think it would be easier to take a baby on a cruise than to the parks.

Most cruise lines have nurseries and camps for children and teenagers.

Disney has a nursery for kids under 3

TammiMcMan
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I personally think the toddler age is a bit tougher to cruise with. Mainly because of the set dinner schedule and excursions that are really geared towards kids over the age of 3. If you went with an infant, you may want to try one of the shorter cruises (3 nights) and I'd highly recommend getting a cabin with a verandha. That way, when your little one naps, you aren't sitting in an enclosed room. Flounders is available, by reservation and for a fee for babysitting services. You are limited to the number of hours you can book, but that's an option if you wanted to enjoy a dinner alone, excursion or spa time.

We always took our kids to the parks when they were babies and found it to be very easy. For the most part, we were on our own schedule and they slept in the stroller while walking around. We saved the cruises until they got older.

tarzan_rocks
08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I recommend going to WDW at that age. For our kids (4 and 2), we found the 10-15 month old range to be the most magical. It’s an age where they know all the songs and characters but don’t necessarily know when they are supposed to be scared. They enjoyed everything from “it’s a small world” to Haunted Mansion. They loved visiting characters and collecting autographs. They liked eating at the restaurants especially the times we went for their birthdays. There was always something new and extraordinary around every corner. Their reactions at that age are what I picture in my head whenever I think about Walt Disney World.

On the more practical side, we were able to do the parks for the full day because they could travel in the stroller and sleep whenever they need it. You have the baby centers for them to stretch their legs out, get their diaper changed or nurse. If you go before Presidents Day you’ll enjoy both moderate weather and small crowds. Carrying them in queues and on and off rides is a cinch at that age. They can sit or even sleep in your lap at shows. We found that there is little that you can’t do with a one-year-old. You just have to be a little flexible with your day and carry some extra supplies.

We’re going on our first Disney cruise next summer. I can’t yet say how fun it will be for little ones. Though I feel fairly confident it won’t be as much fun as going to the parks.

For what it’s worth…

tr

LoriR
09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Also, FYI, you cannot take any children who are still wearing diapers, including swim diapers, into the pools on the ship. They have to be toilet trained. This is the clincher for a lot of people!

There is a fountain area they can play in, but they cannot be in the pool.

GreenBeetle
09-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Not sure if it's easier, but there sure were a lot of little ones on the Wonder cruise we just took last week. :mickey: