PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining?

jwallace378
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Once in a while, I see Intercotees menton "free dining". What is it? How do I get it on my next WDW trip? Thanks for any info you can provide.

faline
08-22-2007, 11:58 AM
For the last couple of years, Disney has done a promotion which is a package that includes free dining for folks who are visiting between certain dates - typically mid August through September. It is not currently being offered. If it is offered again, it will be listed in the Accommodations forum when the offer is announced.

Strmchsr
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Just adding to faline's comments - the last 3 years it's been announced in early April for the Aug/Sept travel dates so don't be looking for it any time soon. That said "free" is misleading as it means you pay for it somewhere else. In order to get "free" dining you pay rack rate on the rooms. It's still a very good discount, but you can often get just as good discounts (or close, if not as good) at other times.

disneyfan328
08-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Just adding to faline's comments - the last 3 years it's been announced in early April for the Aug/Sept travel dates so don't be looking for it any time soon. That said "free" is misleading as it means you pay for it somewhere else. In order to get "free" dining you pay rack rate on the rooms. It's still a very good discount, but you can often get just as good discounts (or close, if not as good) at other times.

I am curious about the above statement - I would like to know more about times that we can go with a discount that is similar to the free dining. I have family of 5 staying at POR and having free dining is saving us 141.00 a day. we are paying 145.00 a night for the room. Are there discounts out there for other times of the year that would save us this kind of money? I know that after this trip ( my 2 youngests first trip) that they will want to go back so I am wondering what other times of the year we may be able to go and save some money. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated - geez we leave in 30 days and I am already thinking of the next trip - oh well. That's the Disney addict in me!!!

faline
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's some historical information (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/discounts/historicdiscounts.asp) on discounts that have been offered.

blondeinbrandon
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
I think the "free" dining and the dining plan in general work for some families. But I think the reason the savings is questionable is if you are a FL resident or have APs. Basically it would cost me more money to get "free" dining as you have to pay rack rates for rooms and buy tickets to the parks.
Also it depends on your family's eating habits and how much you like big dinners. Personally I haven't seen any advatnage for my family, we choose other FL/AP discounts instead.

2GOO-FEE
08-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Would this free dining work out for a family of two with no children?

disneyfan328
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Free Dining is Free Dining. Doesn't matter how many people are in the party. Through the end of 2007 the DDP costs 38.99 for aduslts and 11.99 for kids. You get a Counter Service Meal (combo meal and dessert) and a Table service meal ( appetizer, entree, desert and drink(non alcholic) and a snack (pretty much most things under 4$ on most menus) so when its free you pretty much make out on the deal however I guess it all depends since per the above poster you have to pay rack rate for the room.

I have a family of 5 and we saved 140+ a day by getting the "free" dining and they way we have things scheduled we should have to pay very little out of pocket for meals. so for us it works out. You have to do some research into it.

vamaggie
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Would this free dining work out for a family of two with no children?

I think if you like to have at least one sit down meal a day it would. When my DH and I looked at menus, it came out to be a good deal for us (and our 2 kids too). The dining plan can let you eat at some TS restaurants you may never be able to afford if you were paying prices OOP.

jszczur5
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a family of 5 and we saved 140+ a day by getting the "free" dining and they way we have things scheduled we should have to pay very little out of pocket for meals. so for us it works out. You have to do some research into it.

Hey, the research is the best part - perusing all the menues... checking out all the food photos. I'm sure I gained weight just doing the research for all of our ADR's.

Lily
08-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I will tell you one thing, that promotion is sure effective. We went for the first time in August 2005. Went again in September 2006 and brought friends with us. Going again this year with the same friends. We have had the free dining each time. Next years trip will be during December without the free dining. It's going to be tough to pay for it!

magicofdisney
08-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I think the "free" dining and the dining plan in general work for some families. But I think the reason the savings is questionable is if you are a FL resident or have APs. Basically it would cost me more money to get "free" dining as you have to pay rack rates for rooms and buy tickets to the parks.
Also it depends on your family's eating habits and how much you like big dinners. Personally I haven't seen any advatnage for my family, we choose other FL/AP discounts instead.
Well were FL residents and it certainly works to our advantage even though we have seasonal passes. Sure, I have to purchase a one day base ticket for all and I have to pay rack rate (during value season). BUT, we're a family of six and we stay at the Values. NO other time of years offers me this steep of a discount. Even if I chose to use the AP discount, it would never make up for the "free dining" because we continue to stay at Values. Outside of free dining, we don't do the DDP. At that point, we do much less of TS.

All that being said, I do believe if a family chooses moderate or deluxe accommodations, the DDP is, by no means, of any value if you are eligible for a room discount and have APs.

One more point; we use the one day base tickets to upgrade to a seasonal pass.