PDA

View Full Version : RNRC change name ?

MartyS
08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
My DD22, who just started the Disney College Program about a week ago, called me tonight ( she had just got off work, in the CM parking lot looking for her car). She said the rumor she heard today was that Rockin Roller Coaster might lose the Aerosmith connection and be themed to another group. It's going down for referb Sept 4 through Oct 4, probably what sparked the rumor. I don't think it's likely to change, though.

GrumpyFan
08-21-2007, 11:07 PM
:stop: :nope: :down: :jaw:

I find this very hard to believe. I have to mark this one as "Wild Rumour" (hopefully).
Not that it couldn't and not that it won't SOMEDAY just not now! Please!?!?

I mean, who could they possibly replace them with? I just couldn't imagine any other group being as good as Aerosmith.

wizardmickey
08-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I mean, who could they possibly replace them with?
Not that I'd ever care to see this happen, but I can think of 1 definite replacement & another just for a lark;
What other band would be perfectly suited to a theme-park but the band that fought a phantom in a theme park oh so many years ago... the timeless, ageless, shamelessly self-promoting hottest band in the world...KISS! I can just see instead of cutting a loop through those overhead signs going down Gene's throat or something equally bizzare.

And if not them, I know this awesome little band in Louisiana going by the name of RELIX who would gladly take up the challenge!:here::rocker::drummer:

Anborn
08-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Off Kilter. :)

cheshirecollector
08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Off Kilter.

Or "MoRockin' Roller Coaster"? :D

DisneyTeen
08-22-2007, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they just took away the "staring aerosmith", left it as Rock'n Rollercoaster and just add music from Artists on the disney music lable. These artists are all over the disney channel and their songs are very well known by the target age group which is attracted to disneyworld. Though I love Aerosmith, and I don't think they are going to change it, I see how this thought could cross someone's mind as the songs that play aren't well known by many middle school or even high school aged students.

snifflesmcg
08-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Or "MoRockin' Roller Coaster"? :D

That's actually a cool name!

GrumpyFan
08-22-2007, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they just took away the "staring aerosmith", left it as Rock'n Rollercoaster and just add music from Artists on the disney music lable. These artists are all over the disney channel and their songs are very well known by the target age group which is attracted to disneyworld. Though I love Aerosmith, and I don't think they are going to change it, I see how this thought could cross someone's mind as the songs that play aren't well known by many middle school or even high school aged students.

I had similar thoughts. Although I shudder to think about it, I think it's a very real possibility.

DisneyTeen
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I had similar thoughts. Although I shudder to think about it, I think it's a very real possibility.

I agree, I would never want to see a Hanna Montana Pop'in rollercoast, but its something that could happen, and would somewhat make sense. (well not the whole Montana thing, just the Disney artists in general)

fig's disney
08-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Let's see.....

Rockin' Montana Coaster
Rockin' "Jo Bros" Coaster
Rockin' Cheetah Coater

and of course.....

Rockin' HSM Coaster

While i think all these ideas are unlikely.....it is amazing how many musical stars Disney has produced recently.....(plus other Mouseketters that went of the deep end, and other Disney stars that tried hard to get rid of the Disney image and go "tough")

Epc0tphr34k
08-22-2007, 09:19 AM

I think you may be underestimating the audience and and range that disney is going for
i have a family friend in his first year of highschool and cousins in middle school and they and all their friends know and listen to aerosmith. i think it more is based on the type of music someone listens to than the relavence of the band...i could almost agree with you if aerosmith wasn't selling out yearly tours still.

BrerSchultzy
08-22-2007, 09:39 AM
This rumor comes up every time RNRC goes down for rehab. And it usually comes from cast members. And so far, they've been wrong each time. I don't doubt that your DD heard the rumor from a "reliable source", but the truth is...as with every job situation...people try to impress the newcomers with their "inside information". It seems especially prevalent with Disney.

Heck, I remember when I started at the Disney Store (during the last months of the Pink sweaters), and I was told by the "old-timers" that the new park opening up in Orlando was going to be Villains themed. Our SM even put all the villains merch up front for the announcement they heard was coming soon. That's when Disney unveiled the plans for Animal Kingdom.

DisneyTeen
08-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I think you may be underestimating the audience and and range that disney is going for
i have a family friend in his first year of highschool and cousins in middle school and they and all their friends know and listen to aerosmith. i think it more is based on the type of music someone listens to than the relavence of the band...i could almost agree with you if aerosmith wasn't selling out yearly tours still.

Yes, I totally agree with you. Aerosmith music is pretty universal age braket wise, yet; people who may remember Aerosmith are older now and might not be going to disney as much or at all due to growing out of it. I am sure that your friend's children know Aerosmith because your friend listens to them. I agree that they are still selling out shows, but what is the average age of the people going to see the shows? Are these people going to see aerosmith also going down to disneyworld or are they going to see aerosmith and then going to vegas because their children in college. I don't think they are going to change this ride but i think that if they were going to change it,(using Artists from their own label, i mean look at how the high school musical CD sells, and when that was on tour, it was sold out ever night also, with people who are more likely to go to WDW) it would raise its already popularity.

KylesMom
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Aerosmith music is pretty universal age braket wise, yet; people who may remember Aerosmith are older now and might not be going to disney as much or at all due to growing out of it.

I had to laugh when I read this, since we had a post quite some time ago that showed that a large base of our Intercot members are over 40. If anything, our attendance is growing - but we're not growing out of it (Disney)! We just might have more money now to support our habit! :cool:

History repeats itself - Beatles, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who - and yes, even Aerosmith - come back every generation and a half or so, enthralling a new audience. Just think, Aerosmith was DEAD until a rap version of 'Walk This Way' brought them back to life 20 years ago. By comparison, RnRC opened 8 years ago (July 1999), when the band was actually formed in 1970.

I found this little blurb, "Aerosmith worked with Disney Imagineers to produce a special soundtrack for the roller coaster. The music was synchronized with the ride by using computerized 3D mockups before construction on the actual attraction was completed. Each coaster train features different Aerosmith songs." Not something you could just throw together using HSM, Cheetah Girls, Aly and AJ & Hannah Montana music. Besides, except for Aly and AJ, who plays an electric guitar with a wangy bar?

I could be WAY wrong, but my gut tells me that the refurb is to fix something that continues to have the ride go down for hours and even days at a time. It was very frustrating in June when the ride simply kept breaking down. Ya gotta love the rumours, though - it's what keeps us all guessing what Disney is going to do next! :D

GrumpyFan
08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
I found this little blurb, "Aerosmith worked with Disney Imagineers to produce a special soundtrack for the roller coaster. The music was synchronized with the ride by using computerized 3D mockups before construction on the actual attraction was completed.

Not that I want to burst your bubble or anything, because I DON'T WANT THIS to be true. But, If they computer modeled it before, then the model should still be around, and they could easily (in theory) replace the music using the same method as before. For all we know, they could've been working on modeling the new music for months, and are at a place now where they're ready to "Go Live" with it.

I could be WAY wrong, but my gut tells me that the refurb is to fix something that continues to have the ride go down for hours and even days at a time. It was very frustrating in June when the ride simply kept breaking down. Ya gotta love the rumours, though - it's what keeps us all guessing what Disney is going to do next! :D

From what I've been able to gather on other sites and podcasts, this refurb is primarily to replace the operator console for the ride and sensors on the track, as well as perhaps some maintenance on the trains.

Marker
08-22-2007, 08:21 PM
My opinion is this is probably a rumor..... for now.

To me, the reality is Aerosmith will not go on forever and the ride will need to be re-themed.

I think Aerosmith is currently probably the best choice. Their audience spams generations, and A LOT of kids I know still consider them one of the best bands ever.

However, Steven Tyler will be 60 next year. I know they're popular now, but their longevity is undoubtedly limited.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter who they use, it'll be a great ride. I could definitely see some potential cross marketing potential.

I only hope they don't make it COUNTRY!!!!! Please Lord, no Country!!!

lockedoutlogic
08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Members of the College Program would be about the last people on Earth to spread a credible rumor about Disney....

Their "zeal" tends to cloud their judgement...but who knows....it could have merit.

I doubt it...if they did anything...they would drop Aerosmith and just call it Rock n Roller Coaster...that's all....no new name or theme

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-23-2007, 01:28 AM
However, Steven Tyler will be 60 next year. I know they're popular now, but their longevity is undoubtedly limited.

Pfft, obviously, you haven't seen the previews for Across the Universe or the fact that Cirque du Soliei has created a entire show based on the Beatles. For those who haven't seen it, Across the Universe is a movie whose entire story is wrapped in Beatles music. And hey look, they were popular back in the 50's and two of the original members are dead! Wait...did Paul die....I can't remember.

Either way, I am 22 and I spent hours lining up to get my box seats to see Lenny Kravitz and Aerosmith on their last tour in Ft. Lauderdale...and I slept straight through Lenny's show. Trust me, I was only there for one reason - Aerosmith. And I can tell you, when I have them, my kids will be listening to them too. And probably still the Beatles....who I listen to almost on a daily.

So to say that a band that has been popular for 30+ years won't have longevity...look at the Beatles. Look at Lilo and Stitch, which introduced a whole new age group to Elvis' music. Look at Frank Sinatra - any Italian child can tell you who he is (I know I've got all his CD's). Look at KISS, who are always doing a Farewell Tour and then the next year, another Reunion Tour. Look at the Spice Girls, 10 years later and doing a reunion!! :D

alpro2
08-23-2007, 07:51 AM
If you think about it, it is hard to update to a current band. There is no longevity anymore. The problem is that the music industry is so different today than it was 20 years ago. Back then, record companies signed you on for 5 albums - the first few to establish yourself, and the last 2-3 records was where the record company would make their money. Today, their marching orders are, "I need to make the money now", so there are no long term record deals. It is mostly about the image and less about the craft.

If they drop Aerosmith, they probably would just use a mix of artists.

DisneyTeen
08-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Disclaimer: I, in no way, wanted to hurt anyone by saying that people are getting old...as its a sad reality that I am also. Just look at my screen name, I started to post on Intercot when I was 17, now i am 25. haha, so i hope that no one to offense to an age comment.

With that said, I don't think that this is going to change, i am sure they signed some 20 year deal or something with the band keeping them around for awhile.

ghost999
08-26-2007, 04:03 PM
KISS could be ok, but who would be awesome, MEATLOAF. ok, maybe that wouldn't be the best for all the kids on here, but come on get a little "love by the dashboard light" or "all revved up" and the favorite " Bat out of ____" who agrees with that, if disney could get him. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
The High School Musical Roller Coaster Starring Ashley Tisdale.... Now that is more frightening that Tower of Terror.....

PirateLover
08-26-2007, 08:06 PM
And hey look, they were popular back in the 50's and two of the original members are dead!

Probably just a typo on your part, but the Beatles were popular in the 60s, not 50s. But you're right. John has been dead for almost 27 years now and George 6. Paul is now 65 and I think Ringo is 67... But the Beatles are still quite popular with younger generations.

I'm not a HUGE Aerosmith fan... I don't own any albums except their greatest hits, but man do they have some great hits! We were just jamming to them on the way home from the beach the other day... they are just a perfect fit for this ride. Certainly more timeless than any bubble gum artists that are popular on the Disney channel right now.

LudwigVonDrake
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
A bus driver told me that they were going to theme the music to Hayley Mills :rolleyes:

"Let's get together..." :D

tinksmom02
08-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Not that I'd ever care to see this happen, but I can think of 1 definite replacement & another just for a lark;
What other band would be perfectly suited to a theme-park but the band that fought a phantom in a theme park oh so many years ago... the timeless, ageless, shamelessly self-promoting hottest band in the world...KISS! I can just see instead of cutting a loop through those overhead signs going down Gene's throat or something equally bizzare.

I don't think Disney would be able to afford what Gene et al would charge for that!!! :mickey:

sportsguy2315
08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't imagine Disney taking out Aerosmith now, despite the HSM craze. I've been an Aerosmith fan since I was like 8 years old, know people who are Aerosmith fans of all ages, and Steven Tyler doing the countdown in anticipation of the limo taking off is probably the best thrill in the world (Disney and Real). Not only that, as suggested other posters, most of Kiss's songs I can't put in a family friendly forum. Besides, I don't think ANYONE wants the experience of going in Gene Simmons' body. ;)

TOT Girl
08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Let's see.....

Rockin' Montana Coaster
Rockin' "Jo Bros" Coaster
Rockin' Cheetah Coater

and of course.....

Rockin' HSM Coaster

While i think all these ideas are unlikely.....it is amazing how many musical stars Disney has produced recently.....(plus other Mouseketters that went of the deep end, and other Disney stars that tried hard to get rid of the Disney image and go "tough")

I would LOVE a Jonas Brothers coaster! Aerosmith is cool, but the Jonas Brothers are AMAZING! I got to go to 2 concerts and met them! They are the sweetest guys ever!:cloud9:

TheRustyScupper
08-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Some of the new names to consider?
. . . Rock and Rolling Stones Coaster (cars like big lips)
. . . Rockabilly and Rollout Coaster (Country Rock?)
. . . Rock-Around-The-Clock Coaster (a time warp ride)
. . . Rock Hudson Coaster (ups and downs with Doris Day)

disneyboy98
09-02-2007, 03:00 AM
I can't even imagine RRC without Aerosmith:coaster:. My jaw would honestly hit the ground if they did change it :jaw: and then five seconds later I would be in tears :cry:. Then it would be :fit:. You may even need to take me to the hospital in a :ambal:.

It would not be good times here people!

Long live Aerosmith!!!

#1donaldfan
09-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I grew up on aerosmith and would not like seeing them change....my kids, rather young even like them....my DS insists that the songs on the ride are on his MP3 player....if they are to change why not still have the "gotta race to the other side of town, stretch limo theme", but have other artists in the recording booth...on a random, "you don't know who" until you get into the studio kinda thing.???

dopeydude
09-02-2007, 10:52 AM
they should use acdc if they have to change it, but i hope that they do keep aerosmith, this is a great ride :number1: that should only be changed so it doesn't break down as much

mousetrapper
09-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Our DDs (ages 16 & 13) love Aerosmith! I know they'd be disappointed if Aerosmith was transitioned out...

Stan
09-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I think it would be hard for Disney to ruin this ride for me, though I guess that's possible (see the other thread about "worst possible RRC replacement bands").

However, when I first heard about RRC under construction, and I think before Disney said anything about Aerosmith, I pictured something themed around 50's early rock'n'roll. Little Richard was still singing in Food Rocks at the time, there's always nostalgia for Buddy Holly and Johnny B Goode, etc. Heck, they even actually used '59 Cadillacs for the ride vehicles- what's that got to do with Aerosmith? The main problem with that theme is the same problem anyone trying to compile a "top hits" collection from then has, the "elephant in the room" you can't ignore is Elvis. I suspect licensing costs and restrictions don't give you as much flexibility as you have with, say, Fats Domino. I'd bet this was all hashed through in meetings years ago, and that Disney does not have nearly the flexibility and choices everyone thinks they have. It must be mighty tempting to just use their own talent/acts and avoid the hassles.

Pagan
09-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Hopefully Aerosmith stays, but if not...KISS would be a great replacement just for the imagery.

Imagine the launch going right into Gene Simmons' mouth. :scared:

RBrooksC
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
If they ever consider putting disposable pop of the Cheetah Girls, Hannah Montanna or The Wiggles onto RNRC, it will mark the time when I stop going on that ride.

Pagan
09-06-2007, 03:09 PM
You just made me involuntarily shudder.

mdricks
09-27-2007, 03:31 PM
AC/DC!

For those about to ride! FIRE!

:thedolls:

Surfer_Clock
09-27-2007, 11:19 PM
All current nomenclature for the closing still reads "Rock'N'Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith" in regards to the downtime. It is very unlikely that the name will change during this refurbishment. Thank you for your patience as work is done to ensure many more safe and thrilling trips aboard the attraction!

RobWreck
09-28-2007, 01:23 AM
With that said, I don't think that this is going to change, i am sure they signed some 20 year deal or something with the band keeping them around for awhile.

Close to it... the contract Aerosmith signed was phrased in such a way that as long as Disney wants to use "Rock'N'Rollercoaster" they have to use "Rock'N'Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith". If Disney wants to change artists (which IMNSHO would be crazy), they're going to have to give up on the name "Rock'N'Rollercoaster"... or at least buy themselves out of the contract. Why they would want to go through the effort and loopholes to change a great thrill ride that constantly draws crowds is beyond me...
Rob
(Disclaimer: I'm a HUGE Aerosmith fan, so I was really happy to hear about this arrangement)