PDA

View Full Version : Wishes outside the park

starflyer59
08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
My wife and I are heading to Orlando for a weekend get away to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We are not go to any parks this time but will be at Downtown Disney on Friday night and then doing the free admission to Sea World on Saturday for military. Every year Sea World give all military personnel one free day at Sea World and Busch gardens in tampa. Why doesn't Disney do something like that?

Anyway, Is there a good place to watch Wishes outside of magic kingdom on Friday evening?

I thought about one of the beaches at the poly or the Grand Floridian.

KAJUNKING
08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
My wife and I are heading to Orlando for a weekend get away to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We are not go to any parks this time but will be at Downtown Disney on Friday night and then doing the free admission to Sea World on Saturday for military. Every year Sea World give all military personnel one free day at Sea World and Busch gardens in tampa. Why doesn't Disney do something like that?

Anyway, Is there a good place to watch Wishes outside of magic kingdom on Friday evening?

I thought about one of the beaches at the poly or the Grand Floridian.

from what i understand its nice to watch wishes from either beach, and disney has shades of green where you can get a deluxe size room for like $80 a night, and offers discounted tickets for military, if disney offered one day of the year free for military, i would imagine the crowd trying to go would get out of hand

TheRustyScupper
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
. . . if disney offered one day of the year free for military, i would imagine the crowd trying to go would get out of hand . . .

1) It doesn't bother me.
2) I'd rather see one "mobbed" day as a reward to military.
3) We could always schedule around it.
4) I think the military folks deserve much more than they get.
5) I applaud Sea World for their efforts.

NOTE: I do not want to go off sounding all patriotic and gushy and mushy, but the military service men/women do a lot, and we should support them. They are not politicians, just folks doing a job for us.

KAJUNKING
08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
1) It doesn't bother me.

NOTE: I do not want to go off sounding all patriotic and gushy and mushy, but the military service men/women do a lot, and we should support them. They are not politicians, just folks doing a job for us.

first of all one of my best friends is a marine and is currently in Iraq for the second time, i didnt say anything about what i thought military people deserved, all i said is that logisticly it is not hard for sea world, or a six flags to do this, it would be near impossible for disney to do this and a lot of people would be left out

jrpersinger
08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
1) It doesn't bother me.

HOOAH!
Once upon a time, Disney did offer a military discount. The service member was free and each member of their family was $99. This was for, I think, a 5 day Magic Your Way (stars and stripes for us SOGers). It may have been 7 days. And I can't remember if it was only for soldiers who had been deployed or not. This was in 2003 and I think it ran for about a year. We didn't get a chance to use it tho, because DH was deployed and it was over by time he got back.

But back to the OQ, Poly has a GREAT view of Wishes!

jsdt
08-21-2007, 03:27 PM
The view from the beach at the Polynesian is great. You can sit on one of the swings with a beverage and enjoy the show. If you decide to try the Grand Floridian - don't do the beach there - go by where the boat launch is for the boats that take you to the MK.

princessM0m
08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Both the Poly beach and GF dock are great places, and the music is piped in so you get the background music as well. One time some of my family went to the GF dock and were offered the fireworks cruise FREE because the party that booked it never showed up!

bleukarma
08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
from what i understand its nice to watch wishes from either beach, and disney has shades of green where you can get a deluxe size room for like $80 a night, and offers discounted tickets for military, if disney offered one day of the year free for military, i would imagine the crowd trying to go would get out of hand

The offer from SeaWorld and Busch Gardens isn't for one particuliar day, military get one free day a year...any day they chose.

Yes, I don't know where the OP is staying but it would be worth looking into Shades of Green. It's a deluxe resort for about $80 a night...depending on your rank. And it's a close ride to GF or the Poly which would be the prefect place to watch wishes!!!

Have fun!!! :mickey:

starflyer59
08-21-2007, 06:40 PM
bleukarma is correct. The seaworld offer is good through out the year and you just show up with your military id and a form that you print off the internet and they give you the tickets. it is good for 1 military member and up to 3 famlily members.

Thanks for all the suggestions on the fireworks. I hope to suprise my wife with a visit to the beach or the docks and watch the fireworks.

We will be back to Disney in Dec. We have booked out Christmas vacation at pop century for the 21st-26th of Dec.

Shades of Green is a very good bargain. It's hard to get rooms sometimes. they stay booked all the time. We tried to get rooms for Dec but we could not get the dates we wanted.

FormerCastMember
08-21-2007, 11:03 PM
the best spot of all time outside of the Magic Kingdom itself in on top of the Contemporary...the soundtrack is played and the view into the entire park is breathtaking

Jared
08-21-2007, 11:09 PM
If you have extra cash to spend, perhaps book dinner at California Grill. You'll have a delicious meal with an absolutely perfect view of Wishes.

'Ohana at the Polynesian offers a cheaper alternative.

Natazu
08-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Actually, last year we were at guest services asking about VIP seating for a parade and were told that for the next few days, most of that seating was taken because of Disney's Armed Forces Salute. I'm not sure what it entailed but I know for sure they did one in '03 that included free tickets.

Outside the park, my favorite Wishes viewing spot is the Poly Beach.

Nekochan
08-22-2007, 07:32 AM
If you're looking for a romantic dinner and a view of wishes, I'd consider the California Grill at the Contemporary - the restaurant has a great view. OR, dinner at Narcosees and then walk over to the beach or dock to watch the fireworks.

jwallace378
08-22-2007, 08:07 AM
If you want to have a great dinner and a great spot for Wishes, try Narcooses at the GF or Ohana's at Poly. If you don't want dinner, I think the beach at the Poly is the best spot.

Mickey Loves Golf
08-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Park at the MK parking lot and take the tram to TTC. Walk over towards the ferry boat dock and watch from there. The view is fantastic with the train station, castle and even SM in view. It won't cost you (I don't think you will be charged to park at that time of night but if you think you will be or if someone knows for sure you will, pm me with an alternative plan muwahhahahahah) :cool: