PDA

View Full Version : I wish DH would have decided this earlier!

kakn7294
08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
This is now the second time DH will be causing us to spend money we didn't need to spend! He has decided that we're going back to WDW next year (I'm certainly not complaining about that!) but he waited until we were home to come up with dates (which still could change depending on vacation availablity at work) but right now it's Aug 2 - 10 which means we would have been better off to have purchased annual passes instead of 2 separate 8 day tickets - one for this past trip and one for the upcoming trip. The same thing happened with our Dec '06 to Aug '07 trips - he booked too late to convert our tickets to annual passes and save a bit of money. I'm hoping Disney comes up with a deal to make me feel a bit better. Or perhaps I should just talk him into annual passes now and plan the 2009 trip based on that since we want to make this an annual vacation.

DDuck66
08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Go ahead and get the AP's!!!! That way you can go whenever you get the urge!!!! Luckily we live close by, so we usually go about once a month.

January-2007
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Or perhaps I should just talk him into annual passes now and plan the 2009 trip based on that since we want to make this an annual vacation.

:exactly: It's too late to make this last set of tickets stretch into annual passes but I would definately agree with you about getting them next year and making two trip plans with them since you seem to be on the steady road of annual trips. Don't you just hate it when you just miss out? Oh well, at least now maybe you have an excuse to plan two trips instead of one. :mickey:

kakn7294
08-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Go ahead and get the AP's!!!! That way you can go whenever you get the urge!!!! Luckily we live close by, so we usually go about once a month.
That's just it, we won't be going whenever we get the urge since we live 16 hrs away and don't have the financial means to just jump on the next flight and head to the World. It will more than likely be limited to two 9 day trips (8 days in the parks most likely) within a year to make the AP's worthwhile but I haven't completely convinced myself that AP's are the best route. I'll be tempted to take a spur-of-the-moment trip and I'll also be tempted to spend extra money on a resort if I don't have to pay for tickets for that second trip. Although it saves on the ticket costs, the AP could end up costing me more in the long run, especially if no room discounts are available.

pogo
08-23-2007, 07:39 AM
My thoughts about this are.... why aren't you joining DVC ? :confused:

With as many times you've gone and the plans in the work, you should join DVC and reap the benefits. :thumbsup:

This is exactly what we are going to do this winter. :yes:

Just an idea. Good luck with your decision. :D

kakn7294
08-23-2007, 11:45 AM
My thoughts about this are.... why aren't you joining DVC ? :confused:

With as many times you've gone and the plans in the work, you should join DVC and reap the benefits. :thumbsup:

This is exactly what we are going to do this winter. :yes:

Just an idea. Good luck with your decision. :D
First of all, we can't afford it - or let me clarify and say we shouldn't try to afford it. From my cost breakdown, it would cost more to purchase into DVC than to stay at a Moderate. It seems like a great deal to those who stay at the Deluxe level, but not for those of us who stay at a Moderate or Value. Second, I don't like the idea of taking on another payment - I can't pay cash outright so we would have to take on monthly payments in the way of a loan. Third, I don't want to be locked in - especially if the kids decide that yearly trips to Disney with Mom and Dad are no longer for them. My girls will be growing up quickly and moving on with their lives and I don't want to be locked into a certain number of points that I purchased now because I needed them but don't need in 10 or 15 years. It's a great idea and something we seriously considered several times but each time we come up with a list of reasons why it's not for us. It works out well for some but we don't think we're among those. I'm having a hard enough time deciding if AP's are right for us!

tyandskyesmom
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
That's just it, we won't be going whenever we get the urge since we live 16 hrs away and don't have the financial means to just jump on the next flight and head to the World. It will more than likely be limited to two 9 day trips (8 days in the parks most likely) within a year to make the AP's worthwhile but I haven't completely convinced myself that AP's are the best route. I'll be tempted to take a spur-of-the-moment trip and I'll also be tempted to spend extra money on a resort if I don't have to pay for tickets for that second trip. Although it saves on the ticket costs, the AP could end up costing me more in the long run, especially if no room discounts are available.

But see Kathy, that is exactly what the Mouse planned!!!! You know my track record and let me tell you, we are no better off financially but we make it happen because of those darned APs (or SWA credits or whatever!)...I guess comes back to will power and I don't have any of that!

Oh, and we also don't think DVC is for us...not that I am not going to love the World after my kids don't want to go with me (although I really hope that never happens!) anymore!

131 more days!

kakn7294
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
But see Kathy, that is exactly what the Mouse planned!!!! You know my track record and let me tell you, we are no better off financially but we make it happen because of those darned APs (or SWA credits or whatever!)...I guess comes back to will power and I don't have any of that!

Oh, and we also don't think DVC is for us...not that I am not going to love the World after my kids don't want to go with me (although I really hope that never happens!) anymore!

131 more days!
No offense Sherry, but your track record is a shining example for me. With an AP in hand, I would be tempted to make multiple trips when I know it doesn't make any sense for us financially when there are other places the money should go - new carpet, finishing the landscaping, etc. That's why I should limit it to our 2 9 day trips but I'm already tempted and talking about a 3rd shorter trip in Feb '09 just to make sure I get good use of those passes. And that's the way I feel too - I'll always love WDW and I'm betting my girls do too but when they grow up, they won't always want to go or be able to go with me and honestly, I won't always want to go with them either.

tyandskyesmom
08-23-2007, 04:14 PM
No offense Sherry, but your track record is a shining example for me. With an AP in hand, I would be tempted to make multiple trips when I know it doesn't make any sense for us financially when there are other places the money should go - new carpet, finishing the landscaping, etc.

No offense taken...actually that is exactly what I meant!!!! :mickey: