PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!!! Decision Time

jenny1976
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey all,
I'm new to this particular thread so bear with me...
My DH & I are having our DVC appointment on Sept 25th and may be buying into the DVC.
We are in our early 30's, are both prefessionals who are starting out, no kids yet. We would only have to finance around $5,000 of the total cost, including closing costs, for 160 points @ SSR with the money back offer. We spend around 10-16 days a year in WDW. That said, I have a couple of questions:
1) Can you purchase MYW packages without using points or are you always tied down to DVC when you visit?
2) How much are the PH, is there a discount for DVC members?
3) Can you use the deed as collateral to buy another property (non DVC)?
4) How does the dinnig work and how much does it cost?
5) What transportation is available?
6) Do you get member discouts at special events (MNSSHP, MVMCP...and so on)?
7) How do the points work? (English explanation not the sales pitch mumbo jumbo)
8) How does renting or selling the points work and how successful is it?
Hope you can all help us make the best decission.
Thanx!

LovinWDW
08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Hey all,
I'm new to this particular thread so bear with me...
My DH & I are having our DVC appointment on Sept 25th and may be buying into the DVC.
We are in our early 30's, are both prefessionals who are starting out, no kids yet. We would only have to finance around $5,000 of the total cost, including closing costs, for 160 points @ SSR with the money back offer. We spend around 10-16 days a year in WDW. That said, I have a couple of questions:
1) Can you purchase MYW packages without using points or are you always tied down to DVC when you visit?
7) How do the points work? (English explanation not the sales pitch mumbo jumbo)
Hope you can all help us make the best decission.
Thanx!

1. You can still do My Way packages. Disney will never stop you from visiting!
3. Sure, It's also considered a vacation home for tas purposes
4. If you want you can purchase the dining plan but your not expected to. You can still pay as you go if you prefer.
5. Depends on the resort. We own at SSR, they have buses to all the parks and DTD as well as a boat to DTD. BW,BC both have boats to MGM and buses.
6.You get member discounts on certain evenings for MNSSHP etc. Not every night. Also $100 off of AP's
7. Your points renew each year on the date of your use year. you can bank points not used from the previous year or borrow points for a vacation from the up coming year.
8. I have no experience renting my points. My family would kill me if I tried to.:thumbsup:

We are also in our mid 30's, professional, with 2 kids. We spend 14-21 days per year at the World. We first bought 250 points and since have added 50 more. I can see us adding another 100 or so in the future. Our only regret is that we waited too long to join!

Maleficent's Dad
08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
You can (obviously) visit any time you like and pay cash. You can't purchase packages when using your points, however. Not entirely sure I understand this first question...:scratch:

The only current discount for DVC members is $100 off of the cost of an AP. Park hoppers are not discounted.

The deed is an asset in your portfolio. However, the mortgage will be a liability like any other debt as well.

You can purchase the DDP just like any other guest. DVC members also get some discounts at restaurants (usually in the range of 10% off of lunch at select restaurants). You'll have kitchen accomodations and this allows you to make your own food - although most probably use it for b'fast and not too much else. Also - if you do purchase the AP (with the discount), you can also purchase the DDE which gives you 20% off of sit-down meals and drinks at most locations (and even a few CS locations).

Same as all other Disney resorts - buses, boats, etc...
To & from MCO, you do get DME complimentary as well.

Yes - but only on certain "select" nights. Discounts are given to DVC members.

Points represent a value. This value is based on when you want to go and the size of your accomodations. Essentially, the point values never really change (they can, but only to adjust for seasons - too complicated to get into, and not really a purchasing factor). Each resort has a calendar with point values.
For example, if you were at SSR this week in a studio, points would be 12 points per night (Sunday to Thursday) and 26 per night on the weekend. A 2 BR would be 31 and 65 points per night.
It varies slightly by resort. You get the "best bang for your points" at OKW. Studios give you the best usage, but the smallest accomodations.
You CAN bank this years' points and/or borrow next years' points. Thus if you skip a year or two, you can have a lot more points for a single year.

Can't help you here. I've never rented nor sold my points.

Good luck - as everyone says, wish I had bought sooner!!! :mickey:

Horizon93
08-20-2007, 08:45 PM
The previous posts have given excellent answers. All I can say is that DVC was a great choice for us. We too wish we had done it sooner. Go for it!

lockedoutlogic
08-20-2007, 09:30 PM
jenny 1976....

I don't mean to be rude...but it sounds like you have alot of irons in the fire to be going timeshare at this point.....

remember it's a minimum of about 750 dollars per year in maintenance fees....plus your payments if you finance....
and all that is before you factor in spending money, airline of driving fees, tickets, and dining....

If you are going to be buying a house or some other real estate purchase...I would venture to say that that is far more important than timeshare right now....and the costs associated with purchasing even a brand new home become exhorbinant when you start moving in and sprucing the place up....

Take no offense...I just want to be clear that actual cost of DVC would be about 75000 dollars for you....even if it is spread over 40+ years.

I would also recommend purchasing AKV...it is simply a much better home resort....and in the future it may be difficult to book on a 7 month window there...far less likely on Saratoga

jenny1976
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey,
Thank you all for all the wonderful feedback! We will be meeting with our broker to run some numbers and scenarios before we make our final decission, I'll keep you posted!

25 days away from the most magical place on earth! :cloud9: