PDA

View Full Version : What were they thinking

cknorr28
08-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I just read the post about the little girl who was left in the sun while her parents were on a ride. We had a similar thing happen last week while we were at MGM. We were sitting waiting for our fast pass time to come around at Rockin Roller Coaster and there was a little girl probably about 6 or 7 that had been left alone with her brother of about 2. He was not in his stroller and she was doing a good job for awhile keeping him under control but that only lasted for so long. He finally took off running as a 2 year old will do and she was chasing him with the stroller. She finally got him caught and strapped in the stroller. A woman across from us was watching the whole thing so I thought she was the parent but it turned out she was not. So the both of us found a CM and they stood with her. What could their parents been thinking leaving them alone at a crowded park? My kids are 11 and 9 and I would never think about doing that.

Deesdisney
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I really do not know how these parents could do that. We have a 4 yr old and I would never leave her alone. I know that adults can not ride all the rides they would like with little ones but when you take them to me that means that this trip is for the little ones. We always by pass the rides my 4 yr old will not do or can not do. We will have time to do this stuff when we get older.

mrsHerbie53
08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Plus there is Kid Swap for those "adult" rides...

I certainly hope the CMs are taught to say something to these irresponsible parents. Or if the CMs "aren't allowed" they could call on security or the "undercover" officers to put some fear into these parents.

Figgyluv03
08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Why would you do something like that? Did they think because its the Happiest Place on Earth that you can just leave you kid and not expect anything to happne. I just don't get how some people are allowed to reproduce. It's just wrong!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-20-2007, 01:21 PM
I think my nephew was 9 before we would allow him to sit out a ride and wait for us. And then he had to wait in the gift shop and not leave it!

MickeyandTink
08-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I can't imagine leaving my six year old DD :princess: alone at WDW (or anywhere, for that matter), much less also putting her in charge of a two year old. I've seen parents put in jail for leaving their young kids alone in the house for only a few minutes. While I think that can sometimes be extreme, you would have to be a brain-dead parent to do it out in public.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
My boys are 10 and 7. There is no way they are going to be left alone in the parks now, or in the very near future.

There is no way I would leave my DD 3 in their care in a situation like that either. Sure, can I have them keep an eye on her while I take a quick shower at home? In the parks...not happening. Even though they are well behaved, responsible kids. As much as a 10 and 7 year old can be. That is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

I hate hearing about these things. :(

Mommy2boys
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
That is very irresponsible.

NewmanFamily6
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
All I can say is wow:( I have a 10 yr old, a 6 yr ols, and 4 yr old twins. I can not even imagine trying to reason this one out in my own mind. I'd be so afraid of someone abducting my children or worse this day in age. I am stunned really:confused:

grumpycajun
08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
What!!!? Leaving children un-attended at that age? I'm still not comfortable thinking of letting our 11 and 13 yr old go off on their own on our next (probable) trip. What they did just might be illegal, but whether it is or not it's ridiculous.

snifflesmcg
08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I remember going to Hershey Park (in PA) with my little sister, then 10. I was 19 at the time. She wasn't tall enough to go on the roller coaster and she told me I could go on without her. Even at 10 my now 19 year sister was mature enough not to wander off but I still didn't let that kid out of my sight. Mind you, again, I was only 19.

RockChalkKimball
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I took my DS last year when he was 13. I had a hard time letting him go to the bathroom alone!! Of course, I did.....

disneymom2000
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Working for Texas CPS I can assure you that if that happened at a theme park in Texas, it would have to be reported to authorities.
And even if WDW is the Happiest place on Earth, I can guarantee you there are some people who are just looking for children like this left by parents, since it is a haven for children.
I can guarantee you, if something had happened, those same parents would be quick to try and sue WDW for some sort of security violation.:mad:

Sunshine1010
08-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Age 6 & 2?

That's Child Endangerment....and probably a host of other charges.

ncscgirl2005
08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Wow! At ages 10 & 6 my DDs are still not allowed in public bathrooms alone at DW or here locally! When we go in bathrooms, they have to stay in their stalls until I am done using the bathroom. No way would I leave my precious babies out there like that! I hope this situation was handled accordingly.

MrPeetrie
08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
We have a 4 yr old and I would never leave her alone. I know that adults can not ride all the rides they would like with little ones but when you take them to me that means that this trip is for the little ones. We always by pass the rides my 4 yr old will not do or can not do. We will have time to do this stuff when we get older.

I couldn't agree more!!!:thumbsup:

On this next trip, our daughter will also be four and this trip is all about her. Sure, we'll miss some of the big attractions, but we'll get to ride them another time. Together.

PAMOUSELOVER
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Unreal, but I believe it!
Only person I leave alone is my husband to get on rides. :D

TheRustyScupper
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
1) We have all seen selfish and self-centered guests at WDW.
2) This is the granddaddy of all selfishness.

mickey&missy
08-21-2007, 01:09 PM
What is wrong with people?! I have a 6 yr old DD, 4 yr old DS and 3 month old DS. I would never in a million years think to leave DD in charge of her brothers. Why have kids if you don't intend on caring for them?

BelleBeauty
08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I can't imagine being able to enjoy ANY ride at all knowing that I had left my 6 and 2 year old alone!! I don't think I would be able to enjoy a drink in a lounge, a trip to the bathroom, anything. I hope that they had security put a little fear in them!

irish1967
08-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I hope that the parents were reported to the proper authorities.

I imagine that we will reach the point where we will feel comfortable letting our boys go off on their own, but I suspect that it is a priviledge that will be earned along the time that they can vote and join the military! Heck, if an adult doesn't want to ride a particular ride, someone normally waits with them so that they don't end up waiting alone!

Wow! At ages 10 & 6 my DDs are still not allowed in public bathrooms alone at DW or here locally! When we go in bathrooms, they have to stay in their stalls until I am done using the bathroom. No way would I leave my precious babies out there like that! I hope this situation was handled accordingly.

I have 2 DS (ages 10 and 7) and it can be quite difficult in certain situations because, quite frankly, it is inappropriate for the 10 year old to go to the ladies room. Most places we frequent have "family bathrooms" that we utilize.

Anyway, your post reminded me of our last visit to WDW - my DS7 and I had split from the rest of our party because he wanted to go to Philharmagic again. As we were leaving the show, he needed to use the restroom so we headed over to the restrooms by Pinnochio's Village Haus. I don't remember if there was a family bathroom there or if it was out of order, but we ended up going into the ladies room. As we walked in he stated very loudly "MOM, I AM NOT A PRINCESS!" Normally, he doesn't mind going into the ladies room for me, but in that location, the bathrooms are labelled PRINCE and PRINCESS. :D

KAJUNKING
08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
me and my dw love to ride some stuff alone, so we are bringing the grandparents with us this time!

WDW1985
08-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Here's what the Orlando Sentinel read:

A Magic Kingdom patron alerted park management about 4:45 p.m. Saturday after spotting the girl in a stroller parked in the sun, according to a report released Monday by the Orange County Sheriff's Office.
The girl was hot, turning red, covered in sweat and appeared to be "lifeless," the report states....

The couple said the girl was asleep inside a double stroller and got lost in the shuffle as their group of two adults and four children approached the ride, they told investigators.

When they entered the attraction, the father said he thought his wife had their daughter, while she thought her husband had her.

At some point you have to ask "who are the kids here?" These are the children that predators eye - unsupervised. I can't believe that any parent would actually leave a 3 year old alone in a huge theme park, but then I read a story like this and I'm left scratching my head again wondering why parents are acting like children. I don't mean to preach here, but really this is crazy. It's not a CM's responsibility to watch my children. These parents obviously never heard of the Ride Swap program!!! :bang:

Ok I'm done venting, but I'm still confused on this one.

:confused:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Here's what the Orlando Sentinel read:

At some point you have to ask "who are the kids here?" These are the children that predators eye - unsupervised. I can't believe that any parent would actually leave a 3 year old alone in a huge theme park, but then I read a story like this and I'm left scratching my head again wondering why parents are acting like children. I don't mean to preach here, but really this is crazy. It's not a CM's responsibility to watch my children. These parents obviously never heard of the Ride Swap program!!! :bang:

Ok I'm done venting, but I'm still confused on this one.

:confused:

This story was actually a story that happened quite a few weeks ago.
This post is about another upsetting event.:(
I'm with you, we are all baffled at how some "parents" could do things like this.

minnie1956
08-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Those parents are no better than that English couple who left their children "sleeping" alone in their hotel room while they went and had a "romantic dinner". My heart breaks for that lovely child that will never have a romantic dinner with anyone. Leaving children alone in a strange hotel is one thing, in another country is even more ridiculous. That said, even at Disney to leave your children alone while you
"indulge" is just begging for trouble. In all fairness, you should know my daughter is 17 and has never had a babysitter other than grandmas', cousin or aunt. Unfortunately, we live in a world that contains as many monsters as angels. I am grateful for places like DisneyWorld where I can leave my cares behind, but I'm still mindful of the real world as well.