PDA

View Full Version : Do you give your kids a Disney Allowance?

Mom2princesses
08-19-2007, 10:29 PM
If you do how much do you give them. I think this is a great idea but want to know how much? I want to do this with my 10 year old.

tinksmom02
08-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't give DD an allowance, she only just turned 5, but a while back I bought a bunch of Disney Dollars, and every once in a while, if she was especially good, I'd give her one. LOL It didn't really help to improve her behavior so much, so I gave her some for her dance recital, pre-school graduations (she went to nursery school, and pre-k with me), her birthday, and she got some after a particularly trying doctor's visit.

BUT, if she did get an allowance, I might give half in regular cash, and half in Disney Dollars, so she wasn't deprived of her usual money, but also had some specifically earmarked for Disney.

HTH!

mook3y
08-20-2007, 12:16 AM
We bought some Disney Dollars recently and use them as rewards to our children for special things. They don't get them for basic things they should be doing. But with our kids DD3 and DS5, they get them for DS reading a book. DD waking up dry (almost 100% there!!!!! :party::cloud9:) being very nice to each other or doing something very nice for someone else.

We don't reward 100% of the time but it is a consistent reward for when they do something a little harder/extra that we like them to work on.

So no not for an allowance, but for incentive to work on other things we like to see them doing. :)

vizsla
08-20-2007, 05:49 AM
We give DD (9) an allowance. The amount depends on the chore that she does. We keep a chore chart on the refrigerator and when she does a chore she checks the box. The amounts range from $.25 to $1.00 and when we give the allowance to her, she puts it in her Disney bank.

Minniemouse27
08-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Dd (6yo) has been earning Disney dollars since mid-May.

She is especially S - L - O - W in the mornings and makes everyone else run late so if she gets ready w/o too much prodding..she earns a dollar. It has been working...not all the time but we are much better off now than we were before we started!

Tinkerkel
08-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Our DD9 gets an allowance. DH & I have discussed matching what she can save by our trip in November. I like the idea of Disney Dollars so we might consider giving her the matched portion in Disney Dollars.

Tinkerfreak
08-20-2007, 08:40 AM
We give DD (9) an allowance. The amount depends on the chore that she does. We keep a chore chart on the refrigerator and when she does a chore she checks the box. The amounts range from $.25 to $1.00 and when we give the allowance to her, she puts it in her Disney bank.

We do this also and it works great. It teaches them that the harder they work the more it pays off. Last year my youngest DD did not have as much money as my oldest DD and it did not take her long to figure out that it was because her sister had done more chores. This year she has been doing more and has earned more and she is so proud of herself.

pdrlkr
08-20-2007, 10:04 AM
We don't give an allowance, but when we decide to make plans for a WDW vacation we tell the kids so they can start (or try) saving their money. They usually have about four months to save any money they get for birthdays, from grandparents, grade cards, or little jobs they might do. When it’s time for the trip we will double :eyes: their money. My daughter (age 10) does pretty well. She usually has around $150 to $200 to double. We actually have to encourage her to spend some of her money. :blush: My son (age 14) doesn't do as well. He normally has less than $75 to double. Pretty good savings plan I think.

Maleficent's Dad
08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Dd (6yo) has been earning Disney dollars since mid-May.

She is especially S - L - O - W in the mornings and makes everyone else run late
Is there something about this?!?!? ;)

My DD - also 6 - is NOT a morning person and the rest of us definitely ARE morning people!!!

merlinmagic4
08-20-2007, 10:45 AM
We don't give an allowance, but when we decide to make plans for a WDW vacation we tell the kids so they can start (or try) saving their money. They usually have about four months to save any money they get for birthdays, from grandparents, grade cards, or little jobs they might do. When it’s time for the trip we will double :eyes: their money. My daughter (age 10) does pretty well. She usually has around $150 to $200 to double. We actually have to encourage her to spend some of her money. :blush: My son (age 14) doesn't do as well. He normally has less than $75 to double. Pretty good savings plan I think.

:ditto: We don't do a weekly allowance but the kids saved all of their own money for our last Disney trip. It was the greatest thing ever!! They passed over lots of stuff they would have wanted if WE were footing the bill :thumbsup:It was great to see them make decisions and choices! My daughter saved over 100.00 and my son was under 100.00. We didn't double it but I think that is GREAT incentive so I might just do that for this next trip.

mook3y
08-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Is there something about this?!?!? ;)

My DD - also 6 - is NOT a morning person and the rest of us definitely ARE morning people!!!

LOL I think it is a luck of the draw thing....

My DS 5 is up by 6:30am every morning, regardless of what time he goes to bed.

The rest of our family is most definitely NOT morning people!!! :D

mickey&missy
08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
DD6 is an especially helpful child. Truthfully, I don't know how I lucked with this child. She WANTS to help me clean, she even gets mad when I don't let her wash the floor! She makes her bed every single morning, without me asking!! So, she gets an allowance. Usually $5 ever two weeks. If she does something extra, like go through her toys to put some away in the attic for a little while, she gets extra. Grandma and Grandpa live next door, she loves to help grandma with things too, so grandma gives her money also. Usually too much :wink:

For our last trip she saved every single dollar she got, allowance, tooth fairy, birthday, etc. For a year and half. Buy the time the trip came she had between $250 and $300!! She was 5! She bought herself a boat load of stuff, all princess of course.

She's been working on saving for next trip too. But, now its burning more of a hole in her pocket then last time. Especially with this whole webkinz craze!

The idea of giving Disney Dollars for allowance is GREAT!! Thanks! I'm hoping she'll do as good with her savings this time or better!

Ariel_Fan
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM

I would really like to know which chores/how much for each you all do. We are trying to teach my DD6 the value of $ and want her to help around the house more instead of just expecting mom and dad to get it all. Of course we figure we'll still buy her the essentials, but make her use her $ for new toys, etc.

Tink#64
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
For previous trips we've combined both allowance & Disney Dollars. We start with any special events maybe 6 months prior to the trip, giving Disney Dollars for things like report card rewards, Easter, Valentines Day, etc. That way they don't have just more money to spend on stuff they don't need, but it gets saved for the trip. My DS's 10 & 11 have some regular chores, not much, helping clean house, dishes, helping with the pets ,etc. They get a weekly allowance of of $10.00 each that is theirs to spend how they see fit. But they have to buy all the little things they want with that money. They learn to make choices and when the money is spent then they have to wait for anything else they want until next week. I hold their allowance for them for the month before vacation so I can make sure that they do have money for the souvenears that I know they are going to want. DH & I also buy them a few things, always a t-shirt or hat, etc. We also do allow them some extra money, but usually not more than $10.00 a day. They think more about their purchases when it's their money. The first trip we didn't do this, and we spent a fortune on souvenears!I usually carry their money, each in a seperately marked envelope. I think they both appreciate what everythng costs and the items they decide to buy more becasue it's their money!:)

pink
08-21-2007, 11:58 PM
My parents don't give my brother- 10 a Disney allowance but I wish that they did! When my parents buy him his solvenuirs his quick to pick out everything he wants but I'm sure if it was his own money he would be much more particular on what he purchased.

:mickey: