PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't beleive it...

Caroleh
08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
I had a customer into my store today(a fabric store) that was going with family members to WDW in September. They were planning on going to MNSSHP and celebrating one of the little girl's 8th birthday This lady(the grandmother) was telling us how they're getting free dining and how much money they saved on their plane tickets.

What really got me was the girl who was having her birthday wanted a costume to wear to MNSSHP. They took their time to find a costume pattern and was really a simple little princess costume. The costume took about 3 3/4 yards of fabric(or up here about 3.5 meters) and the pattern was on sale for $2.49. They looked around the store for fabric and found fabric on the clearence table for about $3 a meter. This lady turned and looked at the poor kid and told her that she wasn't making the costume because it would cost her over $70 to make.:confused:

The poor little girl looked so heartbroken. I can't understand why she went though all this if she didn't want to make it. :confused: I see lots of stupid things in a day, but this was the worse. My whole staff was left standing there with our mouths wide open.

Sorry but I just had to vent..I guess this is what makes families so disfunctional.

ariel03
08-18-2007, 08:38 PM
That lady needs to get on ebay and find a costume for her girl. So sad :(

mainemajor
08-18-2007, 09:16 PM
You would think that she could have looked at how much she had saved both on the airfare and the FREE dining that $70 would be well worth it to make her daughter happy. I guess that some people want everything for free and don't see the bigger picture.
On the bright side at least they are celebrating her BD at WDW and MNSSHP, so that is good

cheshirecollector
08-18-2007, 09:20 PM
That lady needs to get on ebay and find a costume for her girl.

It was too expensive for them to make (it was probably sticker shock that made her say that), but who knows, she may still get the costume for her another way.

Caroleh
08-18-2007, 10:44 PM
It was less then $20 to make 3.5 X $3=$10.5 + $2.49=$12.99 before taxes, approx. $15 with taxes. That's not including thread that's on sale for 66% off and trims that are on sale for 75% off. I'd say at the most it would of cost $25 and thats being generous. Not the $70 that she told her DGD it was. That's why we were so shocked.

This woman is a regular customer and she buys everything that's not on sale for herself, that's why we were so shocked when she said it was too expensive. I've seen her buy $20 a meter fabric if its for her, but she wouldn't spend $3 a meter for her granddaughter.

anewvision
08-19-2007, 10:03 AM
What makes families disfuctional ???

Don't exactly know. But the chief evil spirit
loves it.

DisneyorBust
08-19-2007, 10:38 AM
What a shame! The worst part is her lying to her granddaughter.

brownie
08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
That's sad. Maybe the grandmother was figuring in the cost of shoes and other accessories, too. I hope the young lady is able to get her princess costumer somehow.

Mom2princesses
08-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh how heartbreaking. I can not believe she would not make the costume for her DGD. Now me? If my girls really really have their heart set on something special like this, mommy just can't say no (of course for every day things I do say no because they can't have everything but something special is different). Even if I have to save up I will find a way. I would rather go without then to let my girls go without.

Less then 20 bucks... sheesh!

mttafire
08-19-2007, 11:13 PM
You would think that she could have looked at how much she had saved both on the airfare and the FREE dining that $70 would be well worth it to make her daughter happy. I guess that some people want everything for free and don't see the bigger picture.
On the bright side at least they are celebrating her BD at WDW and MNSSHP, so that is good

100% agreed.:thumbsup:

Dznygrl79
08-20-2007, 07:26 AM
People like that so frustrate me! I worked for 5 years as a preschool teacher and left because of the families, not the kids I loved the kids, but stupid family issues.
And now I work for Starbucks and see similar issues everyday....people will come in and buy themselves a $5 drink and when their child asks for something they freak out on them! Yes I realize they have probably been whining about something else for the past half hour but they are the parent deal, buy the kid a $1 milk.
ok sorry venting done.
You said this lady comes in all the time so she should have had some concept of the price before hand...that makes me so sad. I really do hope the little girl gets her costume.

bleukarma
08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Why bring the poor little girl into the store and get her hopes up! Poor thing!!! Especially since she found everything on the clearance tables. I just don’t understand people, and makes me sad when a child is involved. It really irks me that she was bragging about how much money she saved and then told her DGD that the costume is too expensive!

I work part time at JC Penney’s and right now we are doing a campaign for JC Penney’s after school program, where if you round up your purchase to the next dollar then the change will go to the kids after school program. Friday night I had a couple come in buy some clothes and they had two coupons. The coupons saved them TONS of money on their purchase, at least $20. When I asked them if they wanted to round up their purchase to the next dollar and donate 51 cents to the after school program they started complaining about how everybody wants money, etc. I can understand if you don’t want to donate but complaining to me about it does no good and only irks me because I just saved you so much money with the coupons. If you don’t want to donate say no and move on. Sometimes I just don’t understand people!!!

Mickey'sGirl
08-20-2007, 08:39 AM
It was less then $20 to make 3.5 X $3=$10.5 + $2.49=$12.99 before taxes, approx. $15 with taxes. That's not including thread that's on sale for 66% off and trims that are on sale for 75% off. I'd say at the most it would of cost $25 and thats being generous. Not the $70 that she told her DGD it was. That's why we were so shocked.She probably can't rationalize it because she feels it is for a one time event....and it is a costume. It is still no reason to lie to the child..... We bought a pattern and velveteen for DS3's Sorcerer Mickey's costume last week -- It wound up costing $115 for material/lining, pattern and notions. There is absolutely nothing else he wants to wear for hallowe'en (He wears his Sorcerer Mickey hat EVERYWHERE). Yes, I raised my eyebrows, but I couldn't set him all up for it to tell him -- No -- It's too expensive. I'm going to make it big, and turn up the hems so that he can get more than one year out of it --- Now I just have to learn how to sew! ;)

Caroleh
08-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Now I just have to learn how to sew! ;)

Somedays, I wish I didn't know how to sew!!! I realize fabric and costumes can be expensive, but it was just a shame what happened. My high school student said it the best...she just didn't want to sew it.

I know this girl could of worn it at least twice...they were going to MNSSHP in Sept. and she could of worn it again in Oct. Instead the grandmother told her she could find something in her (the DGD's) closet.

murphy1
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Okay, Carol I'll make your day, I have finished me and the two kids costumes, they are getting E . Swann and Wendy, both look like the characters from the movies. I finished my costume and also am making them custom outifits for each day in the parks (one is appliqued). Now my time is very limited, but not to make one stinking costume when this lady can probably sew it in her sleep??? Come on!!

tinkerbelle75
08-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Ok maybe I am completely wrong here, but having parents who always wanted to surprise me with things( and being that kind of parent myself now),what if the woman wanted to bring the girl in, let her pick out fabric, and then surprise her later with it? I tell my kids " I'm not paying that much for that" or " we couldn't find that, so you'll have to pick another gift" all the time, just so they will be surprised with things. Maybe the lady didn't want the little girl to be asking every day if her dress was done yet.Just a thought!:blush:
I spent over $300 having my 2 DDs dresses so 70 would have been awesome!

DestinationWDW
08-20-2007, 08:30 PM
What makes families disfuctional ???

Don't exactly know. But the chief evil spirit
loves it.

AMEN!

kakn7294
08-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm hoping the reason she chose to not purchase the pattern and materials is that she will purchase a costume instead of sewing one. How terrible for that little girl if she doesn't! I - like most of you here - will sacrifice most anything for myself to give to my DD's first. I can't imagine not!

Catwillow
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Ok maybe I am completely wrong here, but having parents who always wanted to surprise me with things( and being that kind of parent myself now),what if the woman wanted to bring the girl in, let her pick out fabric, and then surprise her later with it? I tell my kids " I'm not paying that much for that" or " we couldn't find that, so you'll have to pick another gift" all the time, just so they will be surprised with things. Maybe the lady didn't want the little girl to be asking every day if her dress was done yet.Just a thought!:blush:
I spent over $300 having my 2 DDs dresses so 70 would have been awesome!

yep....I have to say been there, done that, and had it done to me.... now...granted it's "not right" and certainly the child is hurt / heart broken / etc. BUT.... I am no worse off nor are my children because of it. And we can only hope that this will be the case for this child. But then I have known many parents out there that have done what that woman did and didn't end up getting the child a costume....sad.

pixiesmimi
08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
I was going to say the same thing, maybe she was going to surprise the little girl. If she didn't want to sew it, she could just buy one in one of the shops for her to wear but it would be cheaper to make it. As for getting one on eBay, she would pay a lot more than that on eBay for a costume. I see them every day for over $100 on there. But I think she could have been more compassionate for the little girl in the way she told her. Lying to her isn't the way to do it. I think I would have walked up to her and said "but that would only be $20 (or whatever) to make it" just to see what she said in justification.:confused: