PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Dining plan/Gratuity

Lily
08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Hello! Since gratuity is not included in the new 2008 Dining plan, I started thinking. Many of the restaurants we normally visit are buffet style. How much is expected for a tip at this style of restaurant?

Thanks for any input!

magicofdisney
08-18-2007, 02:37 PM
I think the standard at Disney is still 15%-20% based on service. I know ppl who don't tip at all at buffets. But all my dining experiences at Disney, with buffet style meals, required a lot of work on the part of the server. They still have to keep your drinks refilled. Mine are always checking to make sure we have everything we need. I usually have great service even at buffets. And family style meals require even more work on the part of the server.

Mandykay
08-19-2007, 12:22 AM
As long as the servers at buffetts keep my drink glass full, and take away my dirty plates I tip 15%. I've had some really great servers who I tipped 20%, and only 1 who only got 10%. Never checked on us once, and barely had time to give us the bill. I'm one of those people who just can't leave no tip at all:blush:

kathymk616
08-19-2007, 06:47 PM
For a sit-down meal, I always tip 15-20% (unless service is bad), but for a buffet, I only tip 10%. I'm simply not requiring as much work or attention from them. I believe that servers at buffet restaurants cover more tables in their stations.

Maleficent's Dad
08-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Over the years here on Intercot, this topic has come up before. Mostly everyone agrees that a tip for the server is in order.

Some say the usual 20%
Some say "buffet = 10%"

It's a personal decision; we've debated this in my household. My mother-in-law feels that 10% for a buffet is acceptable (she often travels with us). DW is the one to "keep the peace," so we'll normally tip in the range of 15%. I usually argue for closer to 20% (or more for exceptional service).

Of course, you'll get many varying opinions on the topic. I do not feel it's fair - in any manner - to leave no tip. Those tips are how the servers make their living.

MickeyandTink
08-20-2007, 07:29 PM
For a sit-down meal, I always tip 15-20% (unless service is bad), but for a buffet, I only tip 10%. I'm simply not requiring as much work or attention from them. I believe that servers at buffet restaurants cover more tables in their stations.

:ditto:

Jen C.
08-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I still tip 20%, buffet or not.