PDA

View Full Version : Truth or Urban Legend? Handmade Disney clothes cause trouble

LaDracul
08-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Last night at work, I was telling a customer how I was making a Young Kairi dress from "Kingdom Hearts" for my niece for our WDW trip and I was making a Namine dress for myself.

http://www.khinsider.com/khmanga/chap2/000.jpg
(http://www.khinsider.com/khmanga/chap2/000.jpg)

Unfortunately, a customer said that there was a person who had gotten pulled by security because the embroidery she had on her shirt looked too much like the real thing and they couldn't enter the park with it on. But here's the thing...my store sells an embroidery machine licensed by Disney. So I'm not sure if I should chalk this up to Urban Legend...

But would security get uptight about dresses based off two Disney characters? She will be four next year, and that's not really bad since I've seen young girls in Disney Princess outfits wander the park already. And mine doesn't quite look like it'd be out of the question. What do you all think?

John
08-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Urban myth. Only way security would stop someone would be if they had something "offensive" on.

Goofster
08-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I heard something similar years ago. A woman was approached for wearing a knock-off Mickey T-shirt she had made. She was asked to either change her shirt or purchase one in the gift shop. :secret:

WDWFanatic
08-18-2007, 10:54 AM
We've made our own Disney shirts for a group of 16 for a few different days and the only remakers we got we positive ones from cast members.

With costumes for MNSSHP the only problem you would have is if you were trying to pass yourself off as an offical character. Like the guy dressed like Santa that they wouldn't let in.

emmingo
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Nahhhh...urban myth. The only way you can get busted for copyright infringement or something similar is to sell what you make (i.e. making your own Mickey tees or specific princess dresses off the Disney pattern) and then selling them through a website or something. THEN you'll definitely get a Cease and Desist order, but I HIGHLY unlikely that you wouldn't be allowed to enter a park (especially since those dresses are expensive!).

Plus, if you're using a shirt thats been embroidered by a machine licensed by Disney, then you've got the ability to at LEAST make stuff for yourself (plus...exactly how would they know it WASN'T theirs if the embroidery was very good? Its not like everyone at WDW has a handbook that shows every piece of Disney apparel ever made!..is there?)!

Wolf
08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Man I hope not! I'm wanting to get some pictures around the castle and on the beach near MK in my Nanamie outfit when we go in Jan! Yay for fellow KH costumers!

Minniemouse27
08-18-2007, 01:12 PM
I've heard many different reports that if your costume is TOO good...ie people start coming up to you for autographs...they will ask you to change or leave the park.

Which I can totally understand, they don't want non-employees acting like they are hired by disney ...for so many reasons!

DisneyKim22
08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I agree with the others. If this was going to be a problem, Disney wouldn't sell so many craft items that allow you to make your own costumes.....or cards, or decorations, etc.

Pipalotta
08-18-2007, 03:02 PM
With costumes for MNSSHP the only problem you would have is if you were trying to pass yourself off as an offical character. Like the guy dressed like Santa that they wouldn't let in.

That man wasnt even dressed like Santa, he just looked like him and when children were coming up to him, he was not denying that he was Santa.

LudwigVonDrake
08-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I wore my "Por Favor..." t-shirt last month at WDW that I purchased at Cafepress.com and no one objected. I had a lot of people ask me where I got it from. Urban Legend, indeed! :mickey:

illini
08-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I've made all of my kids a variety of shirts with appliqued Mickeys and Minnies, and we've never had a problem. Tons of compliments from CMs, but no one said anything bad.

We also made my oldest DD a Cinderella dress for her 5th bday to wear at CRT. Again, no problems even though it was obviously not from a Disney store or discount store. I'm making my youngest DD another one for our upcoming trip and am not worried in the least.

frakers
08-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I would have to seriously doubt that the cast members are aware of every Disney design shirt out there. And I've yet to see anyone checking shirt tags, "just to be safe".

lucymouse4
08-18-2007, 10:19 PM
That is definitely a myth. No way would anybody at Disney would care about homemade merchandise while that guest is spending their money going to Disney World.

LoriMistress
08-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Last night at work, I was telling a customer how I was making a Young Kairi dress from "Kingdom Hearts" for my niece for our WDW trip and I was making a Namine dress for myself.

http://www.khinsider.com/khmanga/chap2/000.jpg
(http://www.khinsider.com/khmanga/chap2/000.jpg)

Unfortunately, a customer said that there was a person who had gotten pulled by security because the embroidery she had on her shirt looked too much like the real thing and they couldn't enter the park with it on. But here's the thing...my store sells an embroidery machine licensed by Disney. So I'm not sure if I should chalk this up to Urban Legend...

But would security get uptight about dresses based off two Disney characters? She will be four next year, and that's not really bad since I've seen young girls in Disney Princess outfits wander the park already. And mine doesn't quite look like it'd be out of the question. What do you all think?

If you're planning on selling the items, it's one thing. But you should be okay with your costumes.

TheRustyScupper
08-19-2007, 12:15 AM
1) You CAN be forbidden entry for costumes.
2) It is a tricky issue.
3) If you imitate a character, you could be ousted.
4) WDW does not want confusion between guests and characters.
5) Other than that, no problems with "designed" t-shirts.

Clotho
08-19-2007, 01:03 AM
1) You CAN be forbidden entry for costumes.
2) It is a tricky issue.
3) If you imitate a character, you could be ousted.
4) WDW does not want confusion between guests and characters.
5) Other than that, no problems with "designed" t-shirts.

Rusty:
1) Why is it you always answer in numbered bullet points?
2) When your answer would just as easily be shared without them.
3) You give knowledgeable advice, don't get me wrong!
4) I just don't understand the numbered list thing.
5) *wink*

To the OP: they are mainly concerned with people trying to pass themselves off as characters, or offensive shirts. Even on the latter I have seen some shirts that surprised me the management allowed. I can only guess that nobody noticed. :confused:

pennymom
08-19-2007, 03:42 AM
1) Why is it you always answer in numbered bullet points?
2) When your answer would just as easily be shared without them.
3) You give knowledgeable advice, don't get me wrong!
4) I just don't understand the numbered list thing.
5) *wink*

:funny: LOL!!!! Remind anyone else of poetry for HS English class? (No insult intended, at all!)

Joy2theworld
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
I didn't think adults were allowed to wear any costumes into the parks except during special events like the Not So Scary Halloween Party and the Pirates and Princesses party.

tink03
08-19-2007, 08:53 PM
If Disney can turn you down for looking like a character on the MNSSHP then why do they sell the look-a-like costumes for it at their store?We were planning on being Tink, Jack S., Elizabeth, and Davey Jones should we reconsider this or take the costumes and try to get in anyway---Its pretty obvious that we def dot look like the real things but it is a halloween party isnt it?:D

Clotho
08-20-2007, 12:01 AM
If Disney can turn you down for looking like a character on the MNSSHP then why do they sell the look-a-like costumes for it at their store?We were planning on being Tink, Jack S., Elizabeth, and Davey Jones should we reconsider this or take the costumes and try to get in anyway---Its pretty obvious that we def dot look like the real things but it is a halloween party isnt it?:D

As the poster before you pointed out, it is different for specifically costumed events. And no matter whether or not it is costumed, anyone directly impersonating to the children--misleading them that they ARE those characters--would have an issue. Otherwise, no problem!:thumbsup:

CaptSmee
08-20-2007, 12:28 AM
I've heard many different reports that if your costume is TOO good...ie people start coming up to you for autographs...they will ask you to change or leave the park.

Which I can totally understand, they don't want non-employees acting like they are hired by disney ...for so many reasons!

Not true. We dressed as Alice, Tweedle Dee & Dum one year for MNSSHP. People were asking for pictures with us, and CM's thought we worked for Disney and no one ever asked us to change, just told us how much they loved our costumes!

DDuck66
08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
The only issue that I have heard about is costumes that completely cover the head and face. I do not think that they will allow guests in with those types of head gear.

disneycouple2004
08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Nahhhh...urba

myth. The only way you can get busted for copyright infringement or something similar is to sell what you make (i.e. making your own Mickey tees or specific princess dresses off the Disney pattern) and then selling them through a website or something. THEN you'll definitely get a Cease and Desist order, but I HIGHLY unlikely that you wouldn't be allowed to enter a park (especially since those dresses are expensive!).

Plus, if you're using a shirt thats been embroidered by a machine licensed by Disney, then you've got the ability to at LEAST make stuff for yourself (plus...exactly how would they know it WASN'T theirs if the embroidery was very good? Its not like everyone at WDW has a handbook that shows every piece of Disney apparel ever made!..is there?)!

DITTO !!..:thumbsup:

magicman
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
That man wasnt even dressed like Santa, he just looked like him and when children were coming up to him, he was not denying that he was Santa.

How do we/they know that he wasn't really Santa?:santa2:

thrillme
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
There are occasionally "over zealous" cast members who don't truly understand the rules. Quite possibly the rule of adults aren't supposed to come in "looking like a character" EXCEPT FOR SPECIAL EVENTS (they probably fell asleep in the "except for special events" part).

Licensed characters. If you home make the costume for YOU. No problem. Too if you "home make" something with a licensed character and sell it at perhaps a crafts show or something...still not a problem. IF you put this costume in MASS production and sell it off "as" a LICENSED product perhaps by putting in a pirated or artificially developed label...THEN you have a problem.

The Santa issue...well I think there was more to the story than the press revealed. It's quite possible that he was pretending to be to little kids. Without knowing the gentleman's background...that could result in some disturbing consequences since all kids "trust" Santa. Just because he looked the part...I don't think would be a problem but there must have been something else going on.

BrerSchultzy
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
This is definitely an urban legend.

It's another case of non-Disneyphiles claiming that Disney is the big, bad corporation trying to keep complete control over their characters. And sure, there was a time when Disney was VERY protective of their brand, but those days are long gone.

But that rumor still persists. Just like the people who think that Disney Security will kick you out of you talk about "the truth" of Walt's whereabouts (buried in the basement of the castle). When we planned a spring break trip in college, everyone who heard we were going "warned" us of this policy. Of course, it's complete malarkey.

And no, Walt is not buried in the castle....everyone knows he's an immortal, who, along with Santa and the Tooth Fairy, are headed to Mars to bring joy to Martian children everywhere.

CaptainSad
08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
This is not clothe's per say. I bought a Cast Members name tag on ebay (100 Years of Magic) that had my name on it on the back of my hat. A management type guy came up to me while I was watching a parade. He just came over and kindly asked me to take it off and put it in my pocket. He didn't make a big deal out of it. He told me to go to casting and join them and he would gladly let me wear it any time I wanted. I guess it's a big no-no to wear tags and such.

Rich

jennsky
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
My family went as part of a Grand Gathering and we all had matching T-shirts with iron-on decals. We each picked a Disney character (mine was the Alien from Toy Story) and had that on the front and then on the back, we had a logo we made of the castle and the title of our trip called "Grandma's Grand Gathering". We only received compliments on our tshirt....no one said anything about having to change them. Iron-on decals are the way to go! :D

mickey&missy
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
This is not clothe's per say. I bought a Cast Members name tag on ebay (100 Years of Magic) that had my name on it on the back of my hat. A management type guy came up to me while I was watching a parade. He just came over and kindly asked me to take it off and put it in my pocket. He didn't make a big deal out of it. He told me to go to casting and join them and he would gladly let me wear it any time I wanted. I guess it's a big no-no to wear tags and such.

Umm, they sell the names tags and engrave them! How could they ask you to take it off?! DS and DD both have one, but never wore them. I thought the better of advertising their names.

I agree with everyone who said its a myth. As long as its not offensive and there is no mask I think your ok. We all dressed up for MNSSHP last year. I was Minnie (no mask of course) and DH was Prince Charming. We had no problem. I also embellished t-shirts for the kids for DS's birthday. His had Mickey and said "It's My Birthday!" and DD's had Minnie and said "I'm with the Birthday Boy!" We didn't have any problem with that either.

bethnowllin
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
The name tags that they sell and engrave are not the same as the Official Cast Member name tags. Even we aren't allowed to wear them unless we are in costume, so it doesn't surprise me that security had a bit to say about it. After all, we teach our children to find someone with the Disney nametag if they're lost, and I certainly wouldn't want mine to approach someone who had bought theirs on ebay. You get my drift. :mickey:

As far as the costumes go, I have had occasions where people come in with full costume and makeup and try to pass themselves off as official Disney characters. I even had an ALaddin and Jasmine come in with their own videographer. Management did have a discussion with them. It really is all a safety issue. You don't want 'bad guys' dressed as good guys to get the children's attention. It has way more to do with that than copyright infringement.

I personally love the handmade Disney shirts...lots of families come in with them and I have never heard a peep from anyone about them being a problem.