PDA

View Full Version : Kali River Rapids/Grizzly River Run

DonaldDuck1117
08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm looking to my fellow Cedar Point visitors to help me answer this question. During this last Rose Bowl I visited Pasadena to watch my Wolverines play, and I made a visit to Disneyland but we decided not to ride Grizzly River Run because it looked like Cedar Point's Thunder Canyon. However, after watching videos of both Grizzly Run and Kali in Disney World it looks like you get no where near as wet on these two rides as you do on Thunder Canyon. Me and some friends are visiting Disney World this May and we we want to ride Kali, so my Cedar Point friends, how do these rides compare? It looks like you don't float under waterfalls or get soaked to the bone like at our favorite Sandusky Park.

SpecJoe Magic
08-17-2007, 11:49 PM
How wet one gets on Kali River is hit and miss. I remember riding with a full boat of family several years ago. I, along with a few others, barely got wet at all whereas my grandparents got soaked. I seem to recall that some of the others in the boat got somewhat wet. I haven't ridden in a few years because I don't enjoy it much, but I don't recall going through any waterfalls. I do remember a few geysers and a fairly high drop. That's probably not much help, but it's a question that is difficult to answer due to the unpredictable nature of the ride.

WDWfanatic742
08-18-2007, 12:46 AM
1 huge drop and not that long of a ride about sums it up. It's about hit or miss of being soaked or not.

Melanie
08-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I've been soaked to the bone on both Kali and GRR.

On Kali, if I recall correctly, two seats in particular (the ones that line up just right as you are going down the drop) get soaked.

Bobby T
08-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Yes...my bro-in-law tackled the rapids when the weather was...shall we say...not so warm. Our first ride was pretty non-eventful. So we decided to ride again...and shockingly :mickey: we were able to stay on board. Our next ride...we were in those seats...my 'seat' was wet for the remainder of the day. (aka 8 hours).

Clotho
08-18-2007, 02:40 AM
I've been soaked to the bone on both Kali and GRR.

On Kali, if I recall correctly, two seats in particular (the ones that line up just right as you are going down the drop) get soaked.

EXACTLY!

I had never been on a water ride before (I mean, a non-water slide ride), and just KNEW I would get a "christening". And sure enough, turns out the seats which go down the ride backwards on Kali are the ones that get soaked. And that was us! LOL! Since then I have read this fact to be universally true.

mermaidmarian
08-18-2007, 07:14 AM
EXACTLY!

I had never been on a water ride before (I mean, a non-water slide ride), and just KNEW I would get a "christening". And sure enough, turns out the seats which go down the ride backwards on Kali are the ones that get soaked. And that was us! LOL! Since then I have read this fact to be universally true.

Yep.

And of course, since the boat is not fixed in place, you don't know which seat that is.....until of course, you find yourself in the backward facing position rolling down that drop. There's no doubt you are getting doused!

Been there, done that, bought the dry t-shirt. :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I have only been on Kali but, there have only been a very few times that we have NOT gotten soaked on it. September is really hot so it is actually quite welcome.

If you sit by my son you WILL get soaked. I don't know what it is about him but, since he went on it for the first time at 3 he and the person sitting next to him have gotten drenched. :D

dumbo ears
08-18-2007, 12:01 PM
well ive never ridden grizzly river or been to cedar point(but i really want to one day) but its seems that on kai river rapids either u get soaked or u just get a little wet. it all depends on where u are sitting on the drop.

DonaldDuck1117
08-18-2007, 03:30 PM
1 huge drop and not that long of a ride about sums it up. It's about hit or miss of being soaked or not.

Haha, that sums up every one of these raft type rides, but I have never been on it so I figure one ride on it is in order.

tundramom
08-18-2007, 04:04 PM
"You WILL get wet, You may get SOAKED" pretty much sums it up. I never walk away from either with a dry spot. BTW we were just at CP Monday love those :coaster::coaster: 54 days til WDW:cloud9:

WDWfanatic742
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Also, I remember when I was 8 or 9 years old when we went onto Kali for the first time and got soaked to the bone on the drop. We headed to Dinosaur and for some reason they had the AC on full blast. That was a really cold half hour or so in the building and I remember that I was shivering.

LoriMistress
08-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I've riden Kali River Rapids, though when DH and I went to DLC back in 2005 we didn't ride Grizzly River Rapids, just because I didn't feel like getting soaked throughout the rest of my stay. But when we rode KRR, we were wearing ponchos (I know--it feels like what's the point), and if we didn't wear them we would have been soaked.

Sinewiz
08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Ridden it many times and it all comes down to whether you are backwards when it goes down the biggest drop. If you are, your soaked, which is either 2 or 3 seats. And if your not, you get through just a little bit wet. It's always the same but as mentioned it's not a fixed ride so you never know who's going to get it. :mickey:

disneynarula
08-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Only been on Kali but I can tell you that I walked off soaked to the bone even wearing a poncho.

I would advise either carrying a change or making this the last ride of the day. I skip this one most of the time.

Goes4FastPass
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm looking to my fellow Cedar Point visitors to help me answer this question...

KaliRR: Better theming. You may get soaked and if you do, you better be dressed to walk around soaked. We always stash our shoes in the center console after leaving the loading station. You'll be surprised how short this ride is.

Thunder Canyon: Longer, wetter, better.

Maverick: A disspointment.

Top Thrill Dragster: UnbeeLEEvable:eek: