PDA

View Full Version : Disney Compared To Universal

WDWFREAK101
08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Now i am a HUGE Disney world maniac!!!!! I absolutely love Disney World! So here pretend that i have never been to Disney World before and i want to go to Universal Studios because i think Disney World is for kids. Convince me that i am making a big mistake. Make it origonal.

I can't wait to see how this turns out! :thumbsup:

(I did this because i was bored) :thumbsup:

Catwillow
08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
this sounds interesting......can't wait to see if there are any responses......(I have never been to Universal):thumbsup:

chicade88
08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
We've actually thought of going before but haven't because we've been too afraid we'd be disappointed and not feel it would be worth our money. I'm curious to how this pans out too!

WDWFREAK101
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I can't stand Universal. That is why i am curious to see how this turns out. It is definitly not worth your money. There are only 6 or 7 rides there. The only fun that i had there is when they had Back To The Future the ride. But now that they took it out and replaced it with some stupid Harry Potter thing, there is no reason for me to go there.

scoot241
08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Actually, Universal replaced Back to the Future with a Simpsons ride. Harry Potter is going to be a new land in the Islands of Adventure.

Otherwise, the whole experience at WDW is so much better than Universal. Universal isn't geared towards families nearly as much as Disney. They don't have nearly the number of options that Disney World does. No water parks, no golf, no mini-golf, no Cirque, and the list keeps going.

Speedy1998
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't recommend Universal to anyone. I went once 15 years ago, and felt so ripped off I will never go back.

Jakk
08-16-2007, 09:15 PM
So here pretend that i have never been to Disney World before and i want to go to Universal Studios because i think Disney World is for kids.

To be simple Disney World isn't JUST for kids but for families and the inner kid in you. In Disney World you feel that you enter a world of magic and fantasy while in Universal Studios you feel that your in a highley themed theme park. If you want to be a kid again go to Disney, if you want to be amused for the day then go to Universal...that's how I would say it...

MrPeetrie
08-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Every trip, I use to try and leave a day open so we could give Universal a try and every trip my wife would veto it. This year, we're not even renting a car and "pretending" we may make a trek to Universal Studios. We always feel, why take a day away from our Disney trip and feel we'd "wished we had just gone to the Magic Kingdom!"

This year: no Universal Studios Again!

texasteacher
08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I felt ripped off at Universal. The only ride I appreciated was Spider Man, but I am not going to the park to ride one ride.
I hope their new Harry Potter World will improve the park.

Here we go again...
08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
I can't say anything nice about Universal either... good thing you are not really looking for someone to convince you. ;)

We have been to Universal one time, And it was one time too many. There was no Magic... it was dirty and I did not like most of the rides.
Going to Universal is what made us buy into DVC! :thumbsup:

Sinewiz
08-16-2007, 11:32 PM
While I used to enjoy Universal it simply doesn't do it for me anymore. If you took a poll of people of all ages I would venture to say that the only ages that might prefer Universal would be the 15 to 18 year old age group. It simply isn't very family friendly. While some of the rides might be every bit as state of the art as Disneys it pales in comparison when it comes to atmosphere.

mttafire
08-16-2007, 11:43 PM
To me Universal is fine BUT, It's hardly any different than say..Kings Island or any other Cedar fair park. Just a bit bigger and cleaner. IMHO, NO comparison, Disney is on top by a mile!:mickey:

snifflesmcg
08-17-2007, 12:52 AM
There is no way I can convince you that you shouldn't go to Universal. I've been to Universal Islands of Adventure and I LOVED IT!!!!! If it wasn't for the fact that I don't feel like renting a car to get there, I'd be going on the trip next month.

Universal is awsome! The Spiderman ride is one of the best rides, no wait, I take that back, it IS THE best ride I've ever been on. Universal has more to offer adults. Faster, more thrill seeking rides. However, the parks are a bit smaller so you can probably do them in a day each. They offer packages as well and the price of a ticket costs less than Disney. I highly recommend going :thumbsup:.

gueli
08-17-2007, 01:03 AM
1) WDW just does it right. They talk about the magic of disney- and it extends from every employee (CM) through management. They try to make everyones stay special. Even those that have something go wrong- disney just trys to make it right.
2) With 4 major parks, 2 Water park area's & Downtown disney- it is more than just about kids its about everyone. Just about everything in WDW is Themed- but not only towards kids. There are adult entertainment venues (Cirque du soliel, Pleasure island for instance). Where else can you try to 'drink around the world' (Epcot), hang out for a test drive, launch on multiple roller coasters (Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom & Disney (Hollywood ?) studios.
3) the pleasure of it all- Picture a tropical setting, long white beaches, pools, boat rides, nightly fireworks- possibly all at the comfort of your resort (depending on where you stay)
4) Golf (minature or otherwise)
5) If it is only for kids- how come so many people get married there ?
6) Resort & Spa treatments.
7) Race car driving (richard petty experience)
8) Scuba diving in a huge tank
9) although universal has plenty to offer, their prices & disney's are comprable.
10) Oh yeah, some of the disney dining experiences are spectacular.

boy I think i just convinced myself to go...
maybe in 27 more days
Enjoy
:mickey:
Gueli

Tinkerfreak
08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
We have wondered if we are missing out on anything by not going to Universal while in Orlando but it always comes down to a couple of things.
1) None of our family likes big thrill rides we just prefer the smaller family oriented rides.
2) We just can't bring ourselves to take a day away from Disney.

Are we wrong in thinking that there won't be much at Universal for nonthrillriders?

Gottaluvgoof
08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Well, there is no doubt, Disney is the best. There is just something about Disney's Magic that makes the whole experience more enjoyable. I do enjoy Universal and like someone else mentioned, Spiderman is the most awesome ride I have ever been on. The Mummy is pretty impressive also. Actually, there are many enjoyable rides and my DS16, won't go to Disney but loves Universal. That being said, Universal has a lot to learn in respect to customer service and their "Express Pass" system is quite a ripoff. I took my daughter there in June and it was VERY crowded. You had to purchase the express pass and it wasn't cheap. Like $30 per person. It was good for one day and you could only use it on each ride once, although they don't bother to tell you that when you purchase it. If you don't buy the Express pass, then the waits were very long. The cost of tickets in general is very reasonable $85 for 5 days, but you'll need all five days to get on things if you don't purchase the Express Pass. Universal is a fun place and I would recommend going, just be prepared to wait or pay! The rides are very enjoyable though. Six Flags is enjoyable too, but it sure isn't Disney.

21 Days and Counting to my DISNEY trip!!!!

yasmina
08-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I've never been to Universal, but with our kids soon to be teens, I'm sure at one point we'll try it b/c I understand it has more and more-intense thrill rides.

That said, as far as I am concerned, the genius of Disney is that there is something there for people of all ages. You can go at all stages of life and always have a good time. The only age I would never take (and this is MY opinion only, I am NOT trying to start another debate. I realize many people disagree and that is OK!) is a child under 4. Again, please don't argue this here, as it is only my opinion and I've seen many threads debating it.

Even with my back problems, I had a terrific time on our recent trip, and dh & I traded off on rides that he couldn't take, and those I couldn't ride b/c of my back. I'm trying to convince my mom & her fiance to go there on their honeymoon (mom would go in a heart beat, but Jim is less-than-enthusiastic). They are in their late 60's and I'm sure they would have a blast.

The only way I can imagine someone not having a good time in DW is if they went with no idea what they were doing.

Now, I am not a commando-style person. I do minimal planning - make ADRs, plan which parks on which days based on EMH (we avoid them!) and hit our must-do rides right after rope-drop or FP them. I refuse to wait in any standby line longer than 30 min.

Disney "ropes" you in by providing attractions that will appeal to all ages. That which may not appeal to you at age 7, you will like when you are 13, and so on and so on.

Disney is not a one-time deal, it is a lifetime adventure!

WDWFREAK101
08-17-2007, 09:50 AM
This is going pretty well. You guys nalied everything! I am not trying to boycott Universal Studios, i am just saying that if somebody here has not been to Universal and has not been to Disney World that they would like Disney World way better!
--------------------------------------------------------
Next Trips this year

September 8 Night Of Joy!

October 19 All-star movies!

December 15 Pop Century!

rwdavis2
08-17-2007, 10:49 AM
We really like Universal and Disney. It depends on what you are looking for. First off, I would discount the opinions of people that haven't been to Universal in over 5 years. I'm sure it's changed.

Otherwise you can't match the Disney experience. They go to great lengths as to theming, detail, etc. The feeling is different than at US. Some parts of US are empty studio backlot streets, nothing special. On the other hand some of the rides at either Universal park match or exceed anything Disney has to offer.

On the US side, Jimmy Neutron and the Mummy are, IMHO, better than most any ride anywhere at WDW. I like Men in Black better than Buzz (same ride, different characters). Also recommended are Jaws and the Terminator. ET is pretty lame and I thought Back to the Future was pretty good too.

Over in IoA Spiderman is again, just as good as any ride over at Disney. Though Dr. Doom is a waste of time. But I'm not particularly crazy about ToT either.

IMHO, it's worth the $86 2 park-a-day for 7days ticket to visit Universal. It's a nice break from Disney and usually less crowded. It's possible to do both parks in a day.
Bob

RAIDER
08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Ive been to most of the theme parks in Florida

This would how i would put in order my favourite the parks and why

1. Epcot ..... So much variety and the entertainment is second to none

2. MK .... For pure nostalgia and the whole reason why i go to Florida but i prefer Epcot

3. Universals Islands of Adventure .... The rides are brilliant esp the spiderman and doctor doom

4. Kennedy Space Centre ..not sure if this can be counted ..but never a dull day and the IMAX theatre is awesome ive never ever got bored there and there still improving the park

5. AK ... Was way down the list until EE came on board

6. MGM Studios ... The weakest of all the Disney Parks but its a good day out

7. Bush Gardens .... Fun rides and relaxing day out

8. Seaworld ...Used to be far better a few years ago but its a good day out to relax before you hit the main disney parks

9. Silver Springs ...A relaxing day out and one of the best chill out parks going for scenery and if you love animals close up

10.Cypress Gardens ..same as silver springs but has more carnival rides and has a better landscape

11. Universal Studios .... This park only has a few decent rides and attractions and for me has no atmosphere
something needs to be done big time as its a shame i even thought Shrek 4d was awful but however it was better than Honey i Shrunk the Audience

12. Holyland Experience .... Went once and it was a place you only ever go once to say youve been there

Disney_Barbie
08-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I haven't been to Universal in about 10+ yrs, so please if I mis-understand the policy someone correct me. But I think they're "answer" to Disney's Fast Pass is a horrible system.

If I understand correctly, instead of Disney's free fast pass system, I think at Universal you pay additoinally for your ticket at Universal and then have the ability to "cut" the line.

Now, I understand we live in a country with different classes, and I understand that someone else is always going to be able to buy something that I can't aford, and I'm ok with that. But in this particular circomstance I feel that Disney instituded Fast Pass as a logical solution to benefit all guests equally & allow them to make the most of their park time. Universal, I feel, took the same problem and turned it into a money making scheme. I feel like if that's the way we want to approach theme-park business, why not start charging for character meetings :
$5 to meet Mickey
$10 to have your photo taken with Mickey
$15 for a hug from Mickey
$20 for an autograph
I just don't feel comfortable with a company that is (I feel, at least) trying to squeeze every penny out of me that they can. And Yes, I know that Disney too is quite costly & they too do try to get the most money out of you as possible, BUT at least they in exchange for my hard-earned money they are giving my some serious quality.
Such as, Yes, disney charges a lot for theme park tickets but I can utilize the fast pass system & see and do many things while I 'wait' for my turn on the E-ticket rides, I feel that's some good quality for the price of my ticket. Where as at Universal, You pay almost as much for a ticket, only to stand in line for who-knows-how-long because every person that paid more than you is allowed to go in front of you in line. I prefer to do my business with companies I trust, and even though disney is a comany (thus trying to make money) I trust the 'product' they supply me with in return, I'm afraid I just can't say the same about Universal.
PS - not to mention the TOTAL lack of magic as many others have already mentioned. As a child, I saw the "bride of frankenstein" (we had just watched her in some Beetlejuice show like 1/2 hour before) walking thru the park, she still had costume makeup on the side of her face! I was only about 8 but I remember pointing her out to my mom and thinking how unmagical it was to see her just walking down the street, (I mean, I didn't think she was the 'real' bride of frankenstein or anything, but it just took away magic!) It wasn't until years later when I learned about the tunnels & disney's extreme effort to make sure things like that never happened. The moment I learned about that, I thought back to the 'bride of frankenstin' and realized the effort behind disney that other entertainment companies seriously lack.

jszczur5
08-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Well, I will disagree with a number of posters. We like Universal. It has lots of high intensity thrill rides. Our family (hubby, me, and sons 11 & 12) are going for 2 days this month, before heading to Disney for 10 days. This should tell you how the 2 "parks" compare. I cannot imagine spending any more than 2 days at US/IOE, even though our passes are good for 7 days.
There are some pretty cool rides though: Revenge of the Mummy, Spiderman, Hulk Coaster, Dueling Dragons, and Ripsaw Falls. The Universal rides are just that, rides - not attractions, not the Disney "experience".

jszczur5
08-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I haven't been to Universal in about 10+ yrs, so please if I mis-understand the policy someone correct me. But I think they're "answer" to Disney's Fast Pass is a horrible system.

If I understand correctly, instead of Disney's free fast pass system, I think at Universal you pay additoinally for your ticket at Universal and then have the ability to "cut" the line.

No, the regular Express pass system works the same as Fastpass. If you wish to purchase an Express Pass for all rides, (ie - you just automatically get into the Express line for each attraction, one ride after the other) you can either pay for it, or stay at a Universal hotel.

rwdavis2
08-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Express Pass (form their site):

It's an extra charge to any ticket.
RESTRICTIONS:

* Universal Express Plus pass is not valid for admission to either theme park.
* These passes are only valid for use on your selected date.
* Pass is valid for one (1) entry per accessible attraction.
* There are only a limited number of passes available for sale for each date.
* The 1-Day/1-Park Passes are only valid for express access in either the Universal Studios Florida theme park OR the Islands of Adventure theme park. You must select the appropriate pass for the park of your choice.
* Blackout dates may apply.

snifflesmcg
08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
This is going pretty well. You guys nalied everything! I am not trying to boycott Universal Studios, i am just saying that if somebody here has not been to Universal and has not been to Disney World that they would like Disney World way better!

I don't think that is entirely true. I know alot of people compare Universal to Disney but it's like comparing apples to oranges as they are not the same experience.

Disney has been around forever and has four large parks. Universal is much younger and has only two parks that are a bit smaller. I happen to like the fact that there are several rollercoasters and thrill rides, Disney is NOT up to par on this aspect. Granted, Disney is more family friendly but as a 28 yr old with no children, Universal hits it right on the head. I love Disney (I'll be there in 23 days) but I also love Universal. I can't say I like one more than the other.

Stan
08-17-2007, 06:55 PM
About 5 yr ago we took advantage of a special deal to get several (3? 6?) months unlimited admission to IOA for maybe $60 each- a pretty good deal. Plus it gave us something to do during the summer blackout time of our Disney FL resident seasonal passports (other years we've done SeaWorld the same way).

I prefer IOA over the main Universal park- more things I want to do over and over. All the coasters are fun- esp Hulk tho it's definitely not RRC. And I grew to love the very wet combo of Ripsaw Falls and (especially) Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges. BBRB puts AK's Kali to shame- about 10 times as long and interesting though (of course) the theming is pretty lame by comparison. (Disney just didn't allocate enough land for Kali so it ended up reminding me of the flume ride at Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster PA... wait in line an hr for one 30 sec up, down, SPLASH.) I would bring a towel and change of clothes, ride the 2 rides, change in a restroom, then maybe catch Hulk or Spidey on my way out.

So what's my verdict???... read my wallet. We keep buying Disney passes but haven't been back to Universal in years. (Maybe I'm ready to go back for another visit- anyone want to book me for family photos there? It's not nearly as pretty as WDW but I'm sure I can find some good portrait spots. I hear Portofino Bay is lovely.)

ILoveLegos
08-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I don't think that is entirely true. I know alot of people compare Universal to Disney but it's like comparing apples to oranges as they are not the same experience.

Disney has been around forever and has four large parks. Universal is much younger and has only two parks that are a bit smaller. I happen to like the fact that there are several rollercoasters and thrill rides, Disney is NOT up to par on this aspect. Granted, Disney is more family friendly but as a 28 yr old with no children, Universal hits it right on the head. I love Disney (I'll be there in 23 days) but I also love Universal. I can't say I like one more than the other.

Ditto - in many ways Universal Studios blew MGM Studios away by actually letting you "ride the movies", Twister, Kong -->Mummy, Jaws, Men in Black, Back to the Future, Terminator, Hitchhock, Set props from Jurasaic park, Lucy (okay that's T.V.). It is more of what I'd expect to experience at a Movie themed theme park, compared to MGM's offerings of movie related attactions, The Great Movie Ride, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, (Can't really tell you what RnR has to do with movie unless you stretched and called it a music video, but it's cool so I'll include it) The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Star Tours and what ever animation feature Disney was working on came up a little short in comparison to Universal in my opinion. That's why I'm glad there is variety and I'd reccomend taking the opportunity to go to each park - decide for yourselves. It keeps the "new" attractions comming to have parks compete for business, a win-win situation for us the consumers. P.S. - I think that thrill rides are great too, I can recommend both parks - for the different experiences they offer, a trip to every park is worth it to me.

gueli
08-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey Now-
There is no reason to 'bash' universal studios- I know in my 1st post here, I did not, I just followed the original posters thought- convince me...
That being said-
Universal studios has a very fine attraction base, especially in Islands of Adventure. It has a lot of thrill rides, but I do not feel that they can compare to the theming of WDW.
Yes, some parks (Disney MGM) are weaker than others- I mean how would you compare AK to Sea World? I like both.
I do not believe that the original post is ment to attack universal for any short cummings - or to attack disney for any of its faults - I like the idea of 'Why would you like to go there'.
Again- both companies have their points, and some people (especially thrill riders) might like US better-
For my money (this time around) I will spend it at disney- where I feel the magic, where my DW says 'they just do it right', where my DD will get to meet her favorite princcesses. Someday- when my DD is older- I see US,sea world, and maybe even busch gardens- I might make a different choice.
I still feel that WDW is well themed for adults- both young & old. For young kids also. For teens - US & IoA might be better.
Just my 2 cents
Thanks for reading-
Have fun on your trips.
Gueli

DisneyKim22
08-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I've found this thread quite interesting. I haven't been to Universal since the mid to late 80's. Several of my family members decided that we're going to spend one day at US when we go this November. I can't tell if I'm happy about it or not. Since it's been a while since my last week-long Disney trip, I'm a little bit leary of wasting a day of my week off site. I guess I'll keep an open mind. The thing I can't decide is which of the two US parks I want to visit. There seems to be an even split in the family. I love thrill rides, but I also want to see Twister, and those type of rides. Sigh.....too much decision making! :confused:

mermaidmarian
08-18-2007, 07:15 AM
What's Universal?

jusandnew
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
I just left disney and now i am at universal. I see pros and cons of both. Universal there are long lines to wait , but they have misters and fans to keep you cool. The rides are for more thrill seekers at universal. the prices are cheaper for the shirts and etc.
the cons are :
you stay off the grounds unless you pay $$$. You have to pat extra for the line express.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Universal Con's:
1)Extremely expensive nasty food
2)No... I mean absolutley no... magic
3)20 mile hike to get into the parks as your forced to pass by their version of "Downtown Disney" -marketing strategy I'm sure.

Universal Pro's:
Parking garage

Hmmm! Looks loke my vote is for Disney. Always will be.:mickey:

eeyorerocks
08-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks everyone for everyone's input, this is helping me a lot. We are actually in the planning stages of our next trip (Oct 08) and 2 DS are asking about going to Universal while we're down there. It will be our first time to Universal (I've always been able to convince them otherwise), and I'm glad to hear we can do both parks in a day becuase I really don't want to take any "Disney" time away (maybe I can send DH and DS to Universal and I can spend the day at MK :D ) Fortunately, we all love thrill rides, so in that respect I'm sure we'll enjoy the park - but from what you're all saying a day will be plenty.

Anyone have an opinion about Sea World - this is another request of theirs, but I have heard that other than seeing Shamu, it's not really worth the time. Is this true?

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Oops...thought of one more con.
The Beetlejuice show. We felt like we took our kids to see a rated R movie. The female staff were half dressed. There was alot of adult connotation and even some language. So, families with young children beware. We know because we were there in March 2006.

HOLITRIN
08-18-2007, 09:50 AM
We've been to Universal a couple of times. Most recently in 2005 and we had 3 teenage boys with us. The rest of the vacation we were at Disney (6 more days).

As one of the posters indicated - food was bad. Walking from the parking garage is insane - very long walk - no shuttle). And there really is no "atmosphere" to the place. They have made an attempt to copy Disney, but as we all know Disney is one of a kind!!:thumbsup:

We went to IOA and studios and at each park the rides kept breaking down. They were either not working when we walked up to them or on at least 3 occasions when the boys were literally within a couple of people from getting on the ride - they broke down. The most aggrevating part of this was that they waited more than 1 hour in each of these lines and the staff didn't even give them a "fast pass" to come back later and be able to get on first.

Unfortunately Universal reminds me more a 6 flags than a Disney. I do not plan to go back again. Been there, done that (and that's enough) ;)

kdsjjb
08-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I know alot of people compare Universal to Disney but it's like comparing apples to oranges as they are not the same experience.

I thinkt that sniffles is the one who nailed it.
It's apples to oranges.

If you go to US expecting WDW, you will be disappointed. It just doesn't have the same magical fell that WDW does.

That being said, we (Me, DW, DS16, DD13, and DS10) spent 7days in WDW and followed that up with 3 days at US this past Feb, and WE LOVED IT. (Our first trip there, and fifth to WDW)

Some of the rides (as previously mentioned) were fantastic. Some better than WDW, some paled in comparrison. There was no "pre ride magic" like when you're in line at WDW. but the rides were pretty good overall.

We stayed on site, so we got the "fast pass" and I really liked the idea of it. It was great, and I guess that if you stay on site the use is unlimited, because we went on the Mummy over and over and just had to show our room keys.

We really liked being able to walk directly from our hotel to both parks, five minutes - no wait, or take a leisurely boat ride.

You can see where each park "borrowed" ideas from the other, and each has it's plus and minus points if you compare.

Bottom line for us was that we didn't go in expecting it to be the same as Disney. (We know that there will never be anything the same as the feeling you get walking down Main Street for the first time each trip.) But, if you go there with the correct mind set and attitude, US can be a great time. Case in point - we will make time to go again on our next trip to Disney.

dumbo ears
08-18-2007, 01:11 PM
walt disneyworld is better than any other theme park in the world in many ways. one reason is that it is a classic and a true american theme park. another is that its 4 theme parks are in the top 5 theme park attendance in the world and those are all types and ages of people so disneyworld is not for kids. universal has some great rides but its just not that great. the whole atmosphere of universal studios is nothing compared to wdw

jsw123
08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
:mickey:I've been to both and it's hard to compare. As a total vacation, Disney is hard to beat. We had a great time a few weeks ago. AK and Epcot have some truly spectacular experiences! Kids love it. I got teary-eyed many times with my 3-year-old experiencing many things. Characters at this park rival no other! Atmosphere and movie tie-in (ie. familiarity) are amazing. You do feel like you're in the magic --- just like everyone suggests!:mickey:

On the other hand, should you be an adult or a family with teens, Universal seems obvious. Rides like Spiderman, the Hulk, Dueling Dragons, and the Mummy (My personal favorite in Orlando) are far more thrilling than anything you'll find at Disney. Universal is also very friendly and feels newer than most things at WDW. With their extra options with Busch Gardens and Sea World, seems a comparable deal. FYI --- Sea World is every bit the park as any of these. Two days a must!

Me-- I have kids, I do DIsney. I have teens, I do a Universal-Sea World combo.

I have fun either way!:mickey::):cloud9:

Victor Kelly
08-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Wherever you go there you are.

As several other posters have indicated, US and IOA are NOT Disney nor were they ever designed to be.

Hershey park in PA has been around a lot longer than Disney has, and it is a charming place to go and have fun. So it is not themed, so it is not "magical", but it is still fun and enjoyable. I do not go there with expectations of it being Disney.

Sea World. Again, not Disney. Bu it has improved vastly over what it was say, 20 or even 10 years ago. I don't go there wanting it to be Disney.

Cypress Gardens, the place is beautiful, the Southern Belles are an attraction in their own right. But again, not Disney, and it is still enjoyable.

Universal and IOA, well duh, not Disney. They have improved from what the original park was since the late 80's. Their food is better, the place is cleaner, and the customer service has begun to exceed that of Disney. I wish some people would get their facts straight about Express Pass, and Express Pass PLUS. It is the Express Pass PLUS that you have to pay for. Regular Express Pass is the same as FASTPASS. Get the facts straight please! And for those that have not visited the place since it opened, oh well, your loss. US and IOA are not family parks per se, they offer what they offer and cater to a different demographic.

Sorry if I am stepping on some people's toes, but not everyone lives and breathes Disney. I know I used to, but I opened my mind and recognized that I do not have to have Disney to have fun. Yes Disney is great, yes a lot of what Disney has to offer is innovative. And most certainly the theming is top notch to anything I have ever seen in my travels.

Truth be told, I had a better time at Universal and Seaworld the last few vacations. And I had a great time at Hershey park 3 weeks ago with my girlfriend. Oh the horror, oh the humanity. I guess me and the other dissenters on this post will be tar and feathered for sticking up for other parks. But oh well, there is life outside of Disney:mickey:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Victor... Regarding the fastpass for US & IOA. I believe the only way you can get the "free" fastpass is if you stay on Universal property. So, if you don't stay there you must purchase the Express pass. This is what we experienced when we went last March. Isn't this true? Or have the rules changed since then?

Victor Kelly
08-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I believe the misconception is that the Express Pass is FASTPASS. The kiosks are just like Disney's. This costs nothing.

But, When you stay on US IOA property you get the Express Pass PLUS for nothing. Those that do not stay on property and want the PLUS option have to pay, but it is limited.

disneymaster
08-19-2007, 04:01 PM
So, I am a huge disney lover. However, Universal is an amazing place as well. For people that went 5, 10, or even 15 years ago, you need to give it another try. They have changed SO much and the rides at this park CAN NOT be beat.

1) Spiderman is the best ride in the world. Hands down. Nothing, NOTHING, can ever come close to what Spiderman is. The themeing and details are amazing. Picture Star tours. Now, make the star tour show on a track so it moves though a building. Now, add the motion of Dinosaur and the 3D effects of Bugs Life and you got spiderman.

2) Mummy (which opening just a few years ago) is another amazing ride. Its a indoor rollercoaster much like Rockin without the loops and loud music. However, this ride has a story. Heck, the first half of the ride is "flat" and it sets the story up. This is going to be another very hard ride to top.

3) I read about people saying they don't have enough rides or "extras" like the circus show Disney has. Well, theres at least 15 rides and shows at Islands of Adventure and another 10 rides and shows at Universal. Now, thats not as many as disney, but all the rides at Universal are done to the highest level. They make even the small rides (like the Cat in the Hat) good...a lot better than rides like Snow White or Peter Pan. Also, they have City Walk which is much like Downtown Disney with all the shops and movies. Also, they just opening a Blue Man Group show there also.

4) Hotels are amazing at Universal. I have been to all 3 and loved them all. The level of details and service is the same as if not better than Disney. Also, EVERY hotel guest can show their room key at ALL rides and shows and get front of the line passes. Thats right, same front of the line as fastpass WITHOUT having to wait for your time to show up and without having to race to the big rides in the morning to pick up your ticket. Just show your key and get on the ride. Most people think this would make the line long...but it doesn't! Almost every ride as two different cars to load at the station. 1 car gets "Standby" riders and the other car is nothing but hotel guest. This feature alone is enough to make me stay at the hotel.

Now, like I said, I am a huge disney fan. However, I am 17 years old and really enjoy all the cool effects and high thrill rides Universal has to offer. I do agree that there is just something about Disney that makes it the best. Its just...has magic thoughout the whole place. Still though, Universal is an amazing place too. I would say once your kids reach age 11 or 12, you need to visit universal for a few nights (stay at one of the hotels to get the front of the line!) and you may find your kids like it a lot better.

Right now they are running a sale $85 per person for 7 full days at the parks which includes "park hopping". So, ifs it been a few years since you have gone, give it another try but DON'T go to the park comparing it to Disney. If you don't compare the whole place to disney, your stay there will be great!

julian
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I love Disney a lot. But (and don't lynch me here) i've felt that the past few times the service and quality had been better at Universal.
It has great theming..with all the old buildings and "set" shop windows that you can look in. There are characters walking around, and I think it has become more "Disney-ish", in my oppinion. I would suggest checking it out if you have time in your next trip.
Very good if you are a movie-buff or enjoy a roller coaster. It's kept very clean and even if you've done all the rides, its like walking on a backlot of a movie studio. You can always find a new store or detail to look at (VERY DETAILED SETS)

Thats my 2 cents.

jules

dyin tago
08-20-2007, 09:36 AM
we,as well as many others consider disney to be one of the best happy places on earth and this september will be our fourth trip.
this time dw and myself are going alone:D
but we always have a car rental,get a flex pass and make a few side trips to universal.
universal is not as immersive and magical as disney by any means but still a must for us!

Gottaluvgoof
08-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I wish some people would get their facts straight about Express Pass, and Express Pass PLUS. It is the Express Pass PLUS that you have to pay for. Regular Express Pass is the same as FASTPASS. Get the facts straight please! :

I'm sorry but you should get your facts straight! I was at US/IOA for 5 days with my 12 year old DD in June. The express pass kiosk are no longer available. You have to purchase them either at the parks or when you purchase tickets on line. They are only free with resort stays. Purchasing them is quite expensive. I can attest to it, because the parks were soooooo crowded, that we did purchase them a couple of days and they were $30 per person and only good for each ride ONE time. They had people initialing them as you approached the express pass line. In the past, they were free, but that is no longer true. They DO NOT work the same as fast pass. You might be surprised on your next visit if you did not know this. FYI

johnO
08-20-2007, 10:59 AM
WDW vs. Universal

The feeling I get while at Universal is not the same as WDW. In fact Universal has a "Sleezy" feeling to it. WDW always has that feeling of "Magic".

It's like comparing an authentic outlet store where they have all the best and quality products to one of the many scuzzy ripoff souvenier shops on international drive where the merchandise are all phoney and cheap.

kmo84
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Last summer we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and got tickets to Universal. We had a very good time.

Because of the Express Pass, we rode all the rides we wanted to, some more than once, and were done with the parks before dinnertime.

Then it was back to the hotel to swim.

It was a lot of fun, but this summer we just went back to Disney. We have more fun there.

I think Universal has a lot to offer, and as others have mentioned, some of their rides top Disney.

But it is apples and oranges. You can spend a full week at Disney and still not get everything in. I thought three days at Universal was plenty.

I didn't think the food was that bad at Universal. The wait at their counter service places was horrendous, though. The kids working at those places could have been at McDonalds for all they cared. Not great service.

I think different people will feel differently about both places. I think it is a very good time, and will likely go again.
But only if I can stay at one of the hotels! You can't beat that Express Pass thing. :thumbsup:

thrillme
08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I love both parks dearly...but like the previous poster said...apples to oranges.

Universal and Islands of Adventure are only two small parks compared to an entire WORLD that got it's start in 1955.

They're just "different".

Disney is wonderful but I'm a little frusterated with the one fastpass every 2 hours or when your last fastpass expires thing. We really end up putting a full 8 days in and still don't do everything...in addition we're getting up early and staying very late to get the fast passes waiting forever to get in to eat somewhere etc. BUT...I deal with it because I do enjoy the themeing. I'd really love it if Disney would extend their Late Nights for hotel guests LATER or go back to the PAY for it system.

IF you stay in a Universal Hotel...this is a sweet deal. We didn't NEED 8 days like we did at Disney...half the time was fine. Even though the hotel was expensive it 4 days was less than 8 days and we were able to do a lot.

IN the park it's mostly all "counter service" style but outside at CityWalk they have some WONDERFUL stuff.

Which do I like better and would recommend. It's just not fair to ask that question. If you have really young kids...they might enjoy Disney better...If you have older "thrill seeking" kids...they might enjoy Universal better. But in all fairness...it revolves around staying in a on-site hotel. If you don't stay in a Universal Hotel it's a completely different experience. For Disney...if you don't stay in a Disney Hotel you miss the late night experience.

Figgyluv03
08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I love Disney to death and I'd rather be there than Universal. However, Universal does have some fun rides, Jaws, KingKong, Earthquake, and I love the Dr. Suess (sp?) Land is IoA, but it doesn't even come close to what Disney has to offer. I loved Back to the Future and wouldn't mind going to Universal to see the Simpson's ride, but that's about it.

Sinewiz
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I love Disney to death and I'd rather be there than Universal. However, Universal does have some fun rides, Jaws, KingKong, Earthquake, and I love the Dr. Suess (sp?) Land is IoA, but it doesn't even come close to what Disney has to offer. I loved Back to the Future and wouldn't mind going to Universal to see the Simpson's ride, but that's about it.

I believe King Kong has been gone for about 10 years now. :D But I do agree that Universal has some very nice attractions as well.

grumpycajun
08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
What's a Universal?

Victor Kelly
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry but you should get your facts straight! I was at US/IOA for 5 days with my 12 year old DD in June. The express pass kiosk are no longer available. You have to purchase them either at the parks or when you purchase tickets on line. They are only free with resort stays. Purchasing them is quite expensive. I can attest to it, because the parks were soooooo crowded, that we did purchase them a couple of days and they were $30 per person and only good for each ride ONE time. They had people initialing them as you approached the express pass line. In the past, they were free, but that is no longer true. They DO NOT work the same as fast pass. You might be surprised on your next visit if you did not know this. FYI

Really? I guess my friends that just got back and since they are avid theme park visitors they must be wrong and have been lying when they got home. FYI :party:

robhink
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I believe the misconception is that the Express Pass is FASTPASS. The kiosks are just like Disney's. This costs nothing.

The kiosks have been gone for atleast a year or two, the last time I remember seeing them was during my trip in 2003. I don't remember if they were still up when I was there in 2005, but I know for a fact they were gone when I went back last year. So there are only two ways to get into the Express lines, 1) pay for a pass in advance or at the gate (a minimum $25 charge for both parks) or 2) stay on-site. For the normal park visitor who doesn't want to spend that extra money they have to wait in the normal lines.

So for my trip there next week, I'll be purchasing the express pass to skip any lines that might be there. I figure that made sense since I'm only giving one day to Universal and leaving the rest for Disney.

jusandnew
08-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Someone said before they are two different places.
Islands has the thrill rides and universal has more shows .
My son likes universal and my 12 likes disney and universal .
disney is more for the family atmosphere. Universal is for thrill seekers.

I love both. We had annual passes to both and live 5 hours away.

ohiokel
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I can't convince you NOT to go to US and IOA. They are both great parks and if you haven't been there in 10-15 years then you just can't understand this. They will never replace WDW as being far superior in "magic" and theming but they are loads of fun. I do think you would be better off waiting until your kids are about 5 to go just so they can experience lots of attractions.

We met friends at Universal over this past weekend with 5 kids aged 7-16 and had a great time. If you are a roller coaster/thrill ride nut then it is a great park for you. Spiderman is probably one of the best rides out of any park I have ever visited.

No, it is not WDW but the park is very clean and the staff, especially at the resorts, is top notch. There is nothing better than staying at one of the Universal resorts and getting to go to the front of the line on all the rides.

bleukarma
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
It’s going to be hard for me to convince you to not go to Universal because I like Universal. In fact I used to have a pass to IOA but I’ve never owned a Disney pass (not yet…I will next month though). But I am a 27 year old woman with no kids. It really depends on your situation and what you like to do. If I had young kids then I wouldn’t spend my money at Universal, it wouldn’t be worth it because of the lack of things for kids to do. But for people that like thrill rides, Universal has some of the best.

But I think Disney is an experience and Universal is a trip to a theme park. Yes, the rides at Universal are top-notch but it lacks the magic Disney has. And I’m sorry…the food at Universal doesn’t even begin to compare to the food at Disney. At CityWalk every restaurant is basically the same menu (I’ve ate at 90% of the restaurants there and really…it’s the same food) and at Downtown Disney you have variation. Even inside the parks, the restaurants are an experience in itself. At Universal the restaurants are just a place to eat.

When it comes to extras it depends too. For something to do at Halloween I really wouldn’t want to spend the extra money for MNSSHP (or whatever) because I would feel out of place without kids. But Universal has the scariest Halloween event that I’ve ever seen or heard of. I would NEVER take kids there, but for a group of friends to get together and have fun, it’s the best around. I would even make the hour trip to Universal for a Halloween event over the 20 minute trip to Busch Gardens. But that’s my situation and not every person is in the same situation I am.

Now, for Christmas I want to be at Disney rather then Universal because Universal’s decorations and events don’t even come close to Disney’s. I would take the Osborne Lights over the Grinch any day! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Grinch but the Osborne Lights are SO magical!

So, I wouldn’t discredit Universal because it isn’t Disney (just like someone said, comparing apples to oranges) but if you like thrill rides then give it a try. However if you have young kids then I wouldn’t spend the money until they are older.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-21-2007, 02:16 PM
The kiosks have been gone for atleast a year or two, the last time I remember seeing them was during my trip in 2003. I don't remember if they were still up when I was there in 2005, but I know for a fact they were gone when I went back last year. So there are only two ways to get into the Express lines, 1) pay for a pass in advance or at the gate (a minimum $25 charge for both parks) or 2) stay on-site. For the normal park visitor who doesn't want to spend that extra money they have to wait in the normal lines.

So for my trip there next week, I'll be purchasing the express pass to skip any lines that might be there. I figure that made sense since I'm only giving one day to Universal and leaving the rest for Disney.

Gottaluvgoof this is how we experienced Universal and the Express Pass in March 2006. We bought the pass for my DS & DH. The lines were too long without it.

We had been once before this trip in January 2004. The lines were so short we didn't need a "fastpass." We really felt US & IOA were worth it then. It was the March 2006 trip in which we paid the extra $$ for the "E-pass" and felt ripped off. Perhaps, like many of you have said, if my children were older, then we would have a different view of UA & IOA. I'll be open to another try when they're older. But, it will definitely be during the "value season."

Victor when did you last go to US &IOA? Maybe it has changed since you went.

KAJUNKING
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
What's a Universal?

:ditto:

WDWFREAK101
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Universal is kind of fun. Disney is amazingly fun! The thing i have a problem with for Universal, is that everybody that works there doesn't look as happy, and act as happy as Disney CM. Also, Universal keeps getting rid of some of my absolute FAVORITE rides. Back To The Future The Ride, was the only reason that i went to Universal, now they are replacing it with a stupid Simpsons ride. Back To The Future, was one of Universal's greatest motion pictures of all time. Way better than all of the movie rides there. Also, when Michael J. Fox dies of Parkinsons, they will regret getting rid of that classic ride. I know that this happens all of the time, but one of Universal's absolute greatests is now gone, and it will never come back. That is something i don't have to worry about Disney World. I don't expect Disney to get rid of Disney's greatest attractions. I don't have to worry about getting rid of Space Mountain. If one mountain goes, they all have to go. Anyway, i just think that Universal beats Disney at somethings and Disney beats Universal at some things.

Mickey 101
08-22-2007, 12:04 AM
There's a reason you can get 'unbelievable deals' on Universal passes. IMHO, you get what you pay for.

We went there for a day three years ago with a 12- and 15-year-old. Even though we enjoyed the Spiderman ride (didn't live up to the hype) and Hulk, we were so ready to leave. The park is completely lacking in atmosphere. My husband who claims he gets 'dragged' to WDW every year summed it up best. As we crossed back onto Disney property, he said, "It's good to be home." Then we spent an even-more-than-normal magical evening at Epcot. :cloud9:

Although our kids love thrill rides and would be their target demographic, they would never have a desire to go back. They're Disney fans through and through.

WEDTOPIA
08-22-2007, 09:05 PM
It's pretty easy to compare. They both have multiple theme parks , hotels , and nightlife. They both are run by movie companies. They both incorporate a massive amount of technology . They both have detailed theming. They both are run as vacation destinations. They both use cartoon characters and well known movies as the basis for several attractions. If there were no Disney , Universal would be THE place to go.

But ,there is a Disney. And it is huge. It is also unique in all the world because of the total immersion in the Disney Magic. A Disney experience involves total suspension from the real world , for as long as you choose to stay there. It is almost indescribable , and couldn't possibly be totally understood by anyone who has not been there.

Universal is miles ahead of other theme parks , but a very , very distant second place to WDW.