PDA

View Full Version : What type of sunscreen do you use?

Disneyatic
08-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I have been having sunscreen issues lately! I am fair skinned and burn very easily so I have to slather myself down before I am out in the sun. I am also SO paranoid about DD getting burnt so she gets the full treatment too :secret:
We normally use Bull Frog sunscreen and it works awesome but this year we haven't been able to find it very often.

Does anyone have suggestions on sunscreen that they use and absolutely love?

Tink1
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Pre-Sun.

Used this since it was only by perscription way back when. When my sister was small we had to cut the clothes off her when her sunburn came out after the sun went down. Used this and it never happened again.

Comes in lotion or gel. I like the gel.

brownie
08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Coppertone Sport SPF 50. I tend to burn easily, but I can put this on in the morning and go all day without any burning.

sillyolbear
08-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Just went to the dermatologist this morning!

I've had good luck with Neutrogena SPF 45 and 55--I really hate to get sunburned and haven't since using this.

Lynn J Mc
08-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I am extremely pale. Always accused of having a "moon tan" when I was in high school. I use Baby faces SPF 50 and never burn. Even in FL. I'm the only person I know that can go to the beach and no one know I've been by looking at my skin. i also like Neutrogena. The trick is to re-apply often. When I go to DW if it is not really hot I can get by with applying only twice a day. I have stayed out in our pool here in GA for 5 hours and not burned. I re-apply every hour.

LauraF
08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I use Coppertone (or it's generic equivilent) at and SPF of 30 or above. I've never noticed much of a difference above 30 anyway.

I'm a big fan of those spray-on sunscreens, since I don't end up with yucky hands. Plus it dries after about 5 minutes so I don't leave "leg prints" on the seats.

princessjojo
08-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I am a big fan of BullFrog as well. It is actually what our burn doctors recommended after the many skin grafts the boys had. I was cautious though and found Hawaiian Tropic SPF 70 and used this for them for a while this summer. It is THICK and can be difficult to spread, but it worked for them. Funny, one of their camp counselors at their burn camp joked that they could play on the sun with that stuff.

Good luck finding what ever you're looking for. Sunburn prevention is nothing to fool around with.

CleveRocks
08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Coppertone 30 SPF spray-on, recommended by Dr. Mom (an actual pediatrician).

We live at the beach, and the kids are in day camp. We've never had a burn.

mttafire
08-16-2007, 05:29 PM
We just buy any spf 30 or more that is water resistant or water proof. Honestly, Im not even sure of the brand...But it seems to work.

Disneyatic
08-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Thank you to everyone for the responses so far!

I have had BAD luck with offbrands this summer. I accidentally bought an off brand that was in a bottle that looked JUST like Banana Boat and (was right next to it!) and didn't realize it until we all came home from the water park burned. We weren't crispy, but still burned even with multiple appications!So no more off brand sunscreen for us!
DD hates the spray on sunscreen, she thinks it smells like alchohol and gets all dramatic sputtering and spattering if we use it! I think it's great though because it is SO easy to apply!

kim1st
08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
We have had good luck with Blue Lizard.

It's a little thicker, so you really have to rub it in, but it's great protection, it lasts, and it comes in sensitive skin formulas.

The bottle also turns pink when it's exposed to UV rays which is kind of fun.

My girls lucked out and got Dad's skin, so even with 30+ they tan. I'm a red-haired freckled person, so I tend to burst into flames.

Personally - I'm waiting for a pill!!!

RockChalkKimball
08-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Another vote for Nuetrogena. I burn easily and it works great for me. I really hate the greasy feel of sunscreen, but this one doesn't feel greasy or sticky, especially when you start sweating. It also comes in a smaller tube, so you don't have to haul around a huge bottle.

Jen C.
08-16-2007, 08:43 PM
We have GREAT luck this year with Aveeno baby. It is very gentle and no burns:thumbsup:!

PirateLover
08-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I like Neutrogena Dry Touch 45 for body, and Aveeno 30 specifically for face. The dry touch is nice because as the name implies it dries quickly- none of that greasy nonsense. I also find that Neutrogena tends to smell less sunblocky if you know what I mean.

snifflesmcg
08-17-2007, 12:41 AM
I was um...."blessed" with irish skin while my brother got the dark Italian skin. SO.......I burst into flames on the beach. I use SPF 30 and I've made out ok with Banana Boat (or even a generic). Recently, I just bought OFF sunscreen/bug repellant. I haven't tried it yet but I like that it takes care of two WDW issues.

mrsgaribaldi
08-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I bought a little stick of Hawaiian tropic baby faces & tender places in Disney World and I love it!! It's so easy to put on my face and it's SPF 50. Before that I used Neutrogena also. I never burn now, I don't even get red. DH said that my skin has lost all its pigmentation from working nights and never going out in the day time unless we are at Disney. ;)

disneydrmr
08-17-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm another fair skinned, red haired freckled person.. and I too can burn in just minutes when out in the sun. I discovered Hawaian Tropics LifeGuard Formula and WOW! I can now sit ON the water in the heat of the day and not be burned. You can only find this formula in Florida or via their website... It's only an SPF 8 - but works better than ANY higher SPF I've ever used (and I have burned using a 30 before)... good luck!

bucky at disney
08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Coppertone Sport spray. Dries fast - and very easy to apply. Can find it in either SPF 30 or 50. Plus we can usually go all day - and not have to worry.

The kids and I all have very fair skin and burn very easily. Both my kids have red hair too.

SurferStitch
08-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I recently bought NO-AD Continuous Spray Lotion, Tinker Bell, SPF 30 sunscreen. It's awesome, and it has Tinkerbell on the can.

I was out in the sun for a good 7 hours, only reapplied once, and just got some sun-kissed color. It goes on lightly, and smells like raspberries! I love it.

I don't burn too easily, but I do burn, and this stuff worked perfectly.

DisneyCouture
08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Hawaiian Tropic Ozone Sunblock SPF 70 I have really sensitive skin and it really works on not getting burnt! It also has a light smell so you don't irritate your skin.

conorsmom2000
08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Conor, Mike and I all have that extremely fair, Irish skin (M & C both started out as redheads too! I had bright blonde hair....) We all burn within minutes of going out in the sun! What's amazed me is the explosion of freckles on Conor this summer - he's always had a sprinkling on his nose, but now they are multiplying!

I've had good luck with Neutrogena SPF 45 and 55--I really hate to get sunburned and haven't since using this.

We also use the Neutrogena - we actually researched it a lot this year and this one kept coming up as highly recommended and it's been great. Does not feel greasy at all. For Conor we use Banana Boat Tear Free 50.

jkj1224
08-17-2007, 11:21 PM
I have a bullfrog stick (the kind that looks like a giant tube of chapstick) I never burn, it goes on without having to rub or spray so you can get around the eyes and everything, and it fits almost anywhere. I picked it up at Walmart. :)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
No-Ad. :number1:

My DS and DD are allergic to Coppertone and Banana Boat products. My Ped recommended No-Ad and we have not used anything else on the kids since. My other son uses Blue Lizard clear zinc on his face at the beach because he burns really badly on his face and the Lizard is much more water resistant.
We used to have a very hard time finding No-Ad. Now, we can find it in Walmart and Kmart. They make it in spray(We have POTC and Tinkerbell berry scented), pump spray, bottles in all strengths, we use the Baby, and a stick for faces. Can you tell we are fans?!;)

I use Neutrogena Dry Touch on my body and a 45 one (Can't think of the specific name, it is Neutrogena too) for my face. :cool:

We live on Long Island so the ocean is a part of daily life in the summer. We are sunscreen pros.

pixiesmimi
08-17-2007, 11:38 PM
I use Aveeno 45 or higher in the spray. I don't even get pink with it. I take it in my bag and reapply about midafternoon just to make sure. This is what my Dermatologist recommended. She says Aveeno is one of the best moisturizers and sunscreens on the market. It smells good too. Not like alcohol or sunscreen usually smells. I have very pale skin and my DH has dark skin but does still get pink along with darker sometimes so I make him use it also when out like this even though he doesn't think he needs it. We have one DD that is pale like me and the other is dark like her father and it is hard to convince her that dark skinned people burn also and can get skin cancer. I toyed with the idea of getting the packaged wipes to make it easier to carry but decided I like the spray better and it dries quickly. It isn't that hard to carry in my bag.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-17-2007, 11:53 PM
My dermatologist recommends Neutrogena, but I really like Austalian Gold. It smells kind of citrusy which I like too!

crazypoohbear
08-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Pediatric dermotologist recommended a 30 or above that was oil free for DS. ( ON accutane)

I use Australian Gold either a 30 or 45.
Gotta love skin cancer!
It Does NOT smell coconuty ( I hate coconuts):ack:
IT smells good.

The first time I used it was in Disney when my youngest son was 3. The following year at the beach in NH I was slathering him up and he says

"Momma, I smell like disney world!"

He associated the smell of the sunscreen with his first trip to disney!
So now we call it the disney sunscreen. :D

5fromabove
08-18-2007, 10:38 AM
My DS-11 is very fair (blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin). Banana boat and other brands just don't cut it for him anymore...we've found that the Coppertone for Kids Spray on (mist) in SPF 50 seems to be one of the only things that works for him.