PDA

View Full Version : Women's Health Help

poeticeclipse
08-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Men: If you don't want to hear about anything "womanly" you may not want to read this. Just to warn you a head of time!

I've been having some odd symptoms lately and I'm just not sure what could be wrong. I'll try not to get into the "female" stuff as I know that this is a family friendly place. I'll just kind of list what has been going on.

-Frequent dreaming (could be anything but... just something I thought of)
-Constipation
-About a week ago I had really weird sharp lower pains for a few hours one evening.
-Sore chest area
-Bloated
-Weaker bladder
-I got a mocha at McDonalds yesturday and it really upset my stomach. I thought it might just a be a coincidence but today I bought one and the same thing happened.
-I also get these tiny little burps.

I should start my monthly cycle any day now. Although, i'm often irregular. So, who knows.
Any help anyone could provide would be wonderful!

GreenBeetle
08-16-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm no doctor, but several of the symptoms you mentioned sound similar to ones I experienced during pregnancy. Without getting too personal, could you be pregnant??

DisneyDudet
08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
I was about to say that!

I would take a home pregnancy test to ease some worries.

If thats not it, did you start some new medications? Some of what you say are often side effects of medicines, especially dreaming.

If all those are exhausted, I would go to a dr just to make sure you don't have a GI problem.

Also, stress could cause these symptoms...

crazypoohbear
08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking either pregnant or ovarian cyst.
I've had both and the lower pain could be a cyst or could be the baby attaching .
it could also be ovulation

Jenemmy
08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Pregnancy was my first thought -- although I know that is really presumptuous of me! All I can tell you is that will all 3 of my pregnancies, symptoms like these set in immediately. That being said, it could be anything along the lines of a hormonal imbalance.

If you said you were due to start your cycle any day now, I wouldn't be in a huge rush to get a home pregnancy kit. Unless things have drastically changed, they aren't terribly accurate at that point in the game. I would put a call in to my OB/gyn if I were you and just tell the nurse what is going on and see what is suggested.

Good luck!

poeticeclipse
08-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Without getting graphic... i'd say that there is a very very slim chance that pregnancy is it. But, I am concerned only because the symptoms DO match up. My hubby and I are not ready for that. And just yesturday my brother and sister in law informed me that they are expecting for the first time. I really really don't want to steal the thunder from them.

I'm worried about a urinary tract infection. Hmm... i'll give it a few more days before I flip out. haha.

Jenemmy
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Without getting graphic... i'd say that there is a very very slim chance that pregnancy is it. But, I am concerned only because the symptoms DO match up. My hubby and I are not ready for that. And just yesturday my brother and sister in law informed me that they are expecting for the first time. I really really don't want to steal the thunder from them.

I'm worried about a urinary tract infection. Hmm... i'll give it a few more days before I flip out. haha.

Well, I have had a couple of UTI's -- I didn't even think about that when I read your original post. The thing about UTI's is it gets to the point where it is so painful to urinate that you will do almost anything to avoid it. I don't recall the other symptoms (in my experience, anyway). If it is a UTI, meds will make you start feeling better right away. OH, and in the meantime, sipping cranberry juice is suppose to help with any pain you might be having. (of course, that just makes you have to pee!!!!!)

disneydeb
08-16-2007, 07:28 PM
If you get nauseous it could be pregnancy or maybe gall stones.

PirateLover
08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
-Constipation
-About a week ago I had really weird sharp lower pains for a few hours one evening.
-Bloated
-Weaker bladder
-I got a mocha at McDonalds yesturday and it really upset my stomach.

Where exactly where the lower pains? Were they on a specific side of your body? Was it just in your lower tummy or did it travel to your back as well?
Some of the symptoms I picked out can point to bowel troubles- often people with issues like Irritable Bowel Syndrome suffer bladder issues as well and vice versa. Caffeine and citrus can really make both issues worse so I would stay away from that in the meantime. If you aren't having pain with urination it most likely isn't a UTI. Keep a diary of your symptoms and how you are feeling... if the pains come back, if you have normal BMs etc. If you are still feeling bad in a few days I would consult a doctor. Honestly sometimes just being constipated can make you feel really lousy all over especially if your period is coming up. I sometimes get a sore chest and weak bladder around that time. I wouldn't get all worked up about a possible pregnancy just yet.

Clotho
08-17-2007, 01:08 AM
My dear Intercot sister, WHY are you not seeing a doctor right now? If you have medical questions, go see a doctor. Especially now that the question of a child is in the mix...please. Go see a doctor. Now!

Keeping you in my prayers. :)

Cinderelley
08-17-2007, 02:30 AM
The symptoms could come from any of a number of causes - PMS, stress, pregnancy, some too vigorous "exercise", etc. From some of your other posts I've read, it sounds like you're going through a very stressful time right now, so I wouldn't jump to the pregnancy conclusion if you're a little late. But, if that is a concern for you, take a pregnancy test, especially if you're on some medications or engage in lifestyle habits that could be dangerous for a baby. Blood tests at your doctor's office are more reliable than over the counter tests, but some over the counter urine tests are pretty sensitive nowadays, if you can't see a doc right now.

poeticeclipse
08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm not 'late' yet. That would be around Monday or Tuesday. IBS is something that i've wondered about before. Laxatives never help. They just give me a really bad stomach ache. I haven't taken those in forever. I'm going to give it a few more days and see how it plays out. I have got my husband all in a tizzy about it now. :( Oh, and no coffee for me today. Just water.

Ian
08-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Yes ... I'm a man and I read the post ... so shoot me ...

Sounds like IBS or something similar. Whatever the case, you definitely need to make a doctor's appointment immediately.

Most likely it's nothing, but those symptoms could point to a range of things from "nothing to worry about" to "uh oh." No sense messing around and taking chances.

DizNee143
08-17-2007, 08:43 AM
if it was a UTI it would of really showed its head already!! believe me..i am unfortunately the Queen of UTI's!! in 2005 alone i had 10!!! about 5 last year and only 1 so far this year!! and i dont get the normal symptoms!! i get a pain in my lower lower stomach area..thats the only symptoms of yours that i see would fit a UTI..but im sure you of been able to tell if you had one already!!
anyway..
i hope its nothing to serious..but seriously if you feel like this and are asking us our opinon i would just go to the doctor!!!! even if nothing is wrong..i rather be safe than sorry!!!!

murphy1
08-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Ian, you are truly a millineum guy!!

Stacey, I have all kinds of weird things right before my cycle, anything from breakouts, indigestion, some of the same things you describe. Talking to friends, it is the same, your body just gets nuts, plus if you are irregular, it's hard to tell being pg. If you aren't preventing pg, it is possible. I planned all three of my kids, knew the minute I got pg with them even and had only one symptom, implanation spotting after the ten days, everyone's symptoms are so different it seems. Now they have these tests where you can tell even faster. If you miss your period, definitely take a test. Another thing, when I ovulate (I still do at 40), I get a sharp pain when the egg is released. Don't worry about stealing any thunder, if you are, we all in my family and dh's have kids the same age and it's a lot of fun, but don't worry about that right now.

I've had UTI's before, and it feels like you are burning when you go pee.

murphy1
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Another thing is if you just got married and more frequent in certain things, you can get a UTI. (Sorry if that's TMI)

bleukarma
08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
if it was a UTI it would of really showed its head already!! believe me..i am unfortunately the Queen of UTI's!! in 2005 alone i had 10!!! about 5 last year and only 1 so far this year!! and i dont get the normal symptoms!! i get a pain in my lower lower stomach area..thats the only symptoms of yours that i see would fit a UTI..but im sure you of been able to tell if you had one already!!
anyway..
i hope its nothing to serious..but seriously if you feel like this and are asking us our opinon i would just go to the doctor!!!! even if nothing is wrong..i rather be safe than sorry!!!!

You poor, poor woman! I've had one UTI in my life and I NEVER want to have one again!!! And of course the 1 I've had was on the day I went to see La Nouba!!! The show was awesome but it was a little painful just sitting there. Yes, Stacey, I think if you have a UTI you would know it by now.

I have IBS and it sounds like that to me. I have every one of those symptoms, right down to the mocha at McDonalds. I would go see a doctor and they can rule out anything else and if you do end up having IBS then they can give you some pills to take. Or, it could be stress. From your other posts it sounds like you have a lot of it now. But you'll never know until you see a doctor.

DisneyDudet
08-17-2007, 10:21 AM
I know I read about you and your house troubles before, so this all may be due to stress.

The first step is to relax... yeah right! Ok.. well... try walking.. some low impact exercise. If its is pretty bad PMS due to ovulation, some exercise could help. If you are constipated, moving about will definitely help that situation.

If it is IBS, there are some OTC drugs that can help settle the GI tract.

I agree with the diary of symptoms. You should log what you eat and amounts, times of things like meals, BM's and what they are like (gross I know!), when you feel pain and where and what you were doing when it started. It can get as detailed as you want it to be. The more detailed, the better the MD can find out what is really wrong.

Gall stones are a possibility, esp if the pain is on the right side and radiates to the shoulder or neck.

If you think you have a UTI, it wouldn't help to drink cranberry juice to try to help that out or take cranberry pills (if you can't stand the taste of the juice like me!).

If things aren't better by Monday morning, make an appt with your MD asap!

PirateLover
08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
It definitely could be IBS with constipation, flaring up before your period so both symptoms might be making it seem like one big problem.

For constipation I wouldn't recommend laxatives in general. As you said they can really hurt! Mineral oil is generally a lot easier on everything so I would take a few spoonfuls of that (it may take 12 hours or so, it's usually recommended you take it at night) and you need to get regulated- take something like citrucel or metamucil every day. The number of women who develop some form of IBS is astronomical.. and stress is DEFINITELY related to the issue. Now of course this is not a diagnosis. You should still check with a doc. But if it is IBS it is something you can't just push aside, you have to learn to manage it. Yes they can give you pills that will help calm your stomach but but overall their #1 concern is putting you on a high fiber diet and asking you to cut out all the fun in life lol (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, tomato sauce, popcorn)
I've been there.
I also have an overactive bladder where I'm on a restrictive low-acid diet as well. Many times women end up having both issues. It's so hard. But if your body is telling you something, you need to listen.

bleukarma
08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Posting a reply in another thread made me remember to mention something in this thread. Earlier I mentioned that I have all those symptoms and I have IBS but at this time last year I was going in for surgery to have my gall bladder removed because of gall stones. It’s a possibility and I make an appointment to see a doctor. Last year when I was going to the doc I went in for high blood pressure and chest pains, thinking something was wrong with my heart. It turns out my bad gallbladder was causing most of the problems (although I still have IBS) so it’s crazy what one thing wrong in your body can cause something completely different to go out of whack. Unfortunately the only way to figure it out is to go into the doctor and have the run the tests they need to. :( Good luck and don't let us freak you out too much, it could be something as simple as too much stress in your life. But the best thing to do is get a check up anyway. :mickey:

poeticeclipse
08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
What about upper abdominal pains after a BM? I finally had one and my stomach feels even more bloated and in pain now.

bleukarma
08-17-2007, 01:27 PM
If it's upper abdomen it sounds like the gall bladder, but really there is no way of knowing without tests. :(

PirateLover
08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Can't a cyst also cause abdominal pain? I think it might be time to go the doctor or at least put in a call to get an opinion. :pixie:

bleukarma
08-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Can't a cyst also cause abdominal pain? I think it might be time to go the doctor or at least put in a call to get an opinion. :pixie:

Yes, my mom had admominal pain and they thought it was her gallbladder but it turned out to be a cyst. I agree, I'd make a call to the doc.

thrillme
08-17-2007, 02:13 PM
First and foremost recommendation would be to get to the doctor with a list like you made here.

IF it turns out to be anything that the previous posters posted regarding pregnancy, cycst or IB syndrome. You really need all that checked out by a doctor.

You mentioned you weren't too concerned that it could be "pregnancy". So I can assume a couple of things 1) that perhaps you are on some form of birth control. Many forms of birth control can "emulate" pregnancy to fool the body into NOT releasing and egg or coating up the uterus to prevent the egg from setting. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff that birth control must do to in order to prevent you from getting preg. But my degree is in Management not Medical. If your body is "emulating" preg then many of the symptoms you would normally feel when Preg... are going to become apparent when your on the preventatives. Some of the new IUD's (Mirena) can do this too. It's on the "possible symptoms list". AND
2) Not knowing if your 20 or 50 you could be entering a "change of life" stage. I had a friend of mine enter hers when she was only 38. So age isn't everything and it can last a long time.

It could be too that perhaps you just plain haven't been eating as much fruit and fiber.

My vote is to make an appointment with your doctor.

ElenitaB
08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Your symptoms match up to a series of maladies, but do promise us that you will go see your ObGyn soon! Do not let him/her dismiss your symptoms. Make sure that you are tested for pregnancy and should that come back negative, INSIST on a pelvic and/or transvaginal sonogram.

Here's some :pixie: that you're soon feeling well.

And really, PROMISE us that you'll make that appointment.

daparish
08-17-2007, 02:40 PM
You should definitely get your gallbladder checked. I had a lot of your same symptoms (not all). I always thought that gall stones caused unberable pain (some do) and I can't say I was in a lot of pain but I was sore. I went to the dr and I was admitted straight into the hospital because my white blood count showed severe infection. I was put on an antibotic drip and had surgery the next morning. I also thought that I was to young for gall stones because I was only 25 but that was not the case.

poeticeclipse
08-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I started my period today. Phew! That was the biggest concern of mine.

Now, i'm going to make an appointment to see the Dr. on Monday if he can get me in. I want to know if IBS is a possibility or if my gastritis is just acting up again.

WonderlandsMostWanted
08-18-2007, 04:44 AM
Honey, see a doctor, see a doctor, see a doctor.

ONLY a doctor is going to be able to tell you what’s wrong. Make sure your doctor listens, tests and follows through with you in trying to find a cause. I’m not trying to scare you, but I think for your own sake it may help you to know the following (albeit this is the abbreviated version):

Late 2001 I was having excruciating abdominal pain. I was sent home from work, and almost passed out in my car. I finally had my mother get me and bring me to the ER. Turns out I had gall stones, lots of them and they caused pancreatitis. I was hospitalized for a week, and had to come back a month later and have my gall bladder removed. I was 23

For the next year, I kept having more and more abdominal pain. The doctors and I all thought it was related to the gall bladder/pancreas issues, yet the tests came out normal. It was a long process and when they didn’t find an answer, they chalked it up to IBS. I didn’t finally see an OB/GYN for my annual exam until nearly 10 months after surgery. The doctor did a pelvic exam and noticed something wrong; they did an ultrasound in the office.

By the time they found the tumors there were already several of them, and they were all over my uterus. When they did an exploratory surgical procedure 2 days later, they found endometriosis covering my whole uterus and starting to work its way up the fallopian tubes. A month and a half after that I was in for more surgery. The tumors had more than doubled in size over the course of the month and a half since we’d first found them and done the exploratory surgery. I had to have a full hysterectomy, ovaries and all. I was 24 years old.

I’m now 28 years old and post menopausal.

I hope you NEVER go through something like that, but please, try to take the following things from my experience:
- Listen to your body. If there’s something wrong, see a doctor.

- Do not try to diagnose yourself and your symptoms.

- Do not seek medical advice from friends, family and/or especially the internet. No matter how much someone cares about you, or may have had something similar happen to them, they are not your doctor and basing decisions about your health on the opinions of someone who is unqualified to give it could be very dangerous for you.

- Only a doctor can give you a thorough examination and ask all of the necessary questions to help you.

- Make sure your doctor is taking you seriously and working to find a cause.

- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS “TOO YOUNG” to worry about medical problems. If your doctor says ANYTHING to that effect, go get another opinion

- If there is a problem, your best chance for getting through it with the best possible outcome, is to find it as soon as possible. Time wasted waiting to see what happens can make a world of difference

Do I think you may have any of the problems I had? No idea. I am not a doctor, I would NEVER presume to guess. The odds are that what you’re going through probably isn’t anywhere near as extreme as what happened to me, but there’s no way to know what’s going on unless you see a doctor and get checked out. If they see you and determine that it’s nothing major, then that’s excellent news and you don’t have to stress about it anymore, yay! But if there is something more to it than that, you owe it to yourself to find out and get the treatment you need.

I would never wish what happened to me on anyone else. Please take care of yourself. See your doctor. :(

crazypoohbear
08-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm not 'late' yet. That would be around Monday or Tuesday. IBS is something that i've wondered about before. Laxatives never help. They just give me a really bad stomach ache. I haven't taken those in forever. I'm going to give it a few more days and see how it plays out. I have got my husband all in a tizzy about it now. :( Oh, and no coffee for me today. Just water.

You should not be taking laxatives with IBS.
It only makes the condition worse!

ElenitaB
08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Have you called your doctor yet???

crazypoohbear
08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
We are all still worried about you. Any word from the Doctor??

poeticeclipse
08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Update...

Sounds like the Doctor just thinks that its my gastritis going crazy because of stress with buying the new house. I have to up my fiber intake. I'm starting to eat cereal in the morning with fiber vs. my granola bars. I'm not really sure what else to eat that is high in fiber. Any tips and tricks? I'm going to start eat fruit after dinner as well. My mom said that nectarines work well. *humph* We'll see!

GreenBeetle
08-23-2007, 01:38 PM
When my sister had tummy troubles, she was told that pears are a great source of fiber. At least that's something yummy that doesn't taste like cardboard! ;)

ChipDale
08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Moderator Note

This topic has pushed the envelope with a little too much information. Please keep the gritty details out of future posts.

DisneyDudet
08-23-2007, 02:34 PM
There is a Benefiber powder out there that completely dissolves in water and you can even use it in cooking. No grit and no taste!! That can be an easy way to get your fiber!

Glad to see you are ok!

bibbidiboo3
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
My dd also had fiber issues. Several servings of fruits (apples, oranges, blueberries, grapes) and veggies (carrots, lettuce, beans) are best, yogurt is good for your stomach in general. We also used Benefiber chewables - I think orange flavor. When all else fails, there's always dried plums and prune juice (mix with apple for taste).

Stress can do wonders on the body. Try to relax as much as you can, get some exercise and drink plenty of water. You'll be feeling better soon.;)