PDA

View Full Version : How do CMs handle lost kids?

ArtDeco
08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Not that I'm worried. We once lost DD (4yo at the time) on the Disney Magic and while my wife lost her marbles I just went down to find she was already at the Oceaneer's Club. Of course I love her :) I just have a lot of faith in how CMs are trained to handle lost kids.

So that leads to my question. MK is much much larger, and it's escapable (unlike a ship). How are CMs trained to handle lost kids? I would imagine it would be something you'd learn on your first day of training, and I'd think they'd just whisk you and your DLD (dear lost daughter) to Town Hall as quickly as possible. Maybe she'd get to ride a Pargo thru the Utilidors!

Happen to you? Are you a CM? Love to hear from you.

r4kids
08-16-2007, 01:16 PM
We have yet to lose a child but as I understand it: Lost child will be found by CM or adult and taken to a CM, Who will then try to get info such as name, parents names, cell phone perhaps, then keep the child in a location close to where the child was found and then look for the childs lost parents. The CM's are all walkie talkie capable (I believe) so finding your child should be an easy process. We just purchased the rubber arm bands with our kids names, ages, our cell phone #'s in case such an issue should arise. We got them from (wristbands-with- a- message) you know the rest. I can't put the web address in so add the .com at the end of that site. They are only about $2-$3 a band. Good luck, hope this helped!

mickey&missy
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
When we were in AK last trip a little lost girl walked right up to me and said "I can't find my Mommy" I thought that CMs were supposed to do exactly what the previous poster said, including keeping the child in the same place they were found or close to it. I saw a group of CM's walking by, so I stopped them. They proceeded to take the little girl and walk away. I wanted to say something about keeping her there. Luckily her parents walked up before they got far.

We put info in the kids shoes last 2 trips, name, our names, cell phone etc. Next trip I'm thinking of making laminated cards with bascially the same info in their pockets.Their are a little older now (7 and 5 by March) and more capable of knowing its there and giving it to someone. I know I can teach them my cellphone but I'm not sure they would remember it if she gets separated from us. I've also thought about making beaded necklaces with the # on it.

hooberry
08-16-2007, 01:45 PM
:mickey:After exiting Country Bears in Mk one of the kids (my husbands neice)in our group was missing, I had told her as soon as we entered the park that if she got seperated from us to go tell a CM immediately that she was lost. Once I realized that she did not exit the CBJ with us I told the CM at the door and we began to search the area for her.They also notified security that she was lost. Make sure to take a digital photo every morning so you can remember what they were wearing .She had already told a CM that she was lost and they bring them to town hall, you just need to walk up there and claim them. Oh, we also lost an adult on that same trip:blush: Don't worry , Disney workers are pros at lost kids:D Just make sure that your children understand to tell a cast member they are lost. If they are too young or shy, you may want to stick your cell phone number in their pocket or something.:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
1) Scenario: Kid shows up without a parent
. . . kids is asked by a CM where the parents are
. . . if parent not in immediate area, kid taken to Guest Services
. . . if kid has contact info, parents will be phoned
. . . there is no PA system or other public announcements
. . . they will play or talk with kid until parents arrive
. . . the kid WILL NOT be left lone
. . . the kid WILL NOT be given food/drink/icecream (allergies, etc)

2) Scenario: Parent comes up and reports missing child
. . . a call/notice goes out to CM's to look for the child
. . . some by radio/blackberry/person-to-person
. . . some CM's can wander, others stay at their stations
. . . in some areas, there are designated seekers
. . . in other areas whoever is free can search

NOTE: WDW takes missing kids VERY seriously. I have seen MANY scrambles to find a missing child. Always remember what the child is wearing that day!

WDWdriver
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
As a CM at AK my first response when I encounter a lost child is to reassure the child and remain in the area with the child for at least 10 minutes. Usually the parents return by then. If not, then we notify a manager and security. We then take the child to the Baby Care/Lost Children facility next to First Aid. The child will be taken care of there until he/she can be reunited with the parents.

mdearmas
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
They need to keep It's a Small World full of kids somehow! LOL
:goofy:

ArtDeco
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
They need to keep It's a Small World full of kids somehow! LOL
:goofy:

Now that's funny.:mickey: Remember Disney Dream Jobs? Small World Doll was her recommendation.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Not to be the bubble buster here but best case senerio is IF a CM is the first to find a lost child wandering. I probably would have been like your wife, losing it. I would not have remained calm in any fashion. It is possible that a person up to no good can find a child that looks lost. I know Disney is a magical place but I still trust no one, even if they are traveling with children themselves. Unfortunately this is a very scary world we live in. Also, something to think about for parents who do take the steps to keep identification on their children. Never place your childs name anywhere visible for someone else to see. If your child is called by name by someone up to no good they may assume they know them and leave with that person. I learned quite a few things after attending a "fair" put on by our local police. I know I sound paranoid and crazy but a few simple steps can keep our kids right where they belong, right next to us. The safest place for your childs ID is sewn inside a shirt or pants or those ID bracelets like someone else mentioned.

kim1st
08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
When we first got to MK with my DDs, I showed them the CMs name tags and told them to find someone with a name tag like that if they got lost.

Then the CM informed me that they had to make sure it was the right COLOR name tag - apparently there are some for sale in the gift shops, but they are a different color than the OFFICIAL name tags.

I heard another mother telling her kids to "find another mommy and tell her you're lost" if they got separated.

It's so hard to have a fool proof plan!

pennymom
08-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm very paranoid about my boys (5 and 3) getting lost, too. For our trip in Sept. I just ordered kids' ID for their shoes that velcro onto the tops of both shoes. They are bright blue and say ID, but all of the information is written inside the band in permanent marker. I think they we $9 for each set of two, and I like them better than ID cards that may fall out of pockets, or bracelets they can take on and off. I think I'll have a lot more peace of mind with them on both boys. :thumbsup:

I also plan on showing them the CMs' name tags, as well as the 'find another mommy and she'll help you'.

LoriMistress
08-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, I remember that I got lost at DLR when I was around eight or so. I came up to a CM and informed them that I was lost. Form there, they got a manager to take me to their holding pen. When my parents arrived, I was there waiting for them. It didn't really take that long. Maybe about a half hour to an hour.

Just make sure before you head to the parks to take a picture of your kids with your digital camera, so in case if you're lost you can show the picture of your kid and what they're wearing. That makes things a lot easier to find a missing child.

Minniemouse27
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm very paranoid about my boys (5 and 3) getting lost, too. For our trip in Sept. I just ordered kids' ID for their shoes that velcro onto the tops of both shoes. They are bright blue and say ID, but all of the information is written inside the band in permanent marker. I think they we $9 for each set of two, and I like them better than ID cards that may fall out of pockets, or bracelets they can take on and off. I think I'll have a lot more peace of mind with them on both boys. :thumbsup:

I also plan on showing them the CMs' name tags, as well as the 'find another mommy and she'll help you'.

Only problem with these is that they won't work w/ crocs or sandals... which is why we opted for the bracelets. Dd is 6yo so she won't mess w/ it..and even though ds will be 2yo, I'm going to put it on his ankle!

r4kids
08-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Only problem with these is that they won't work w/ crocs or sandals... which is why we opted for the bracelets. Dd is 6yo so she won't mess w/ it..and even though ds will be 2yo, I'm going to put it on his ankle!

That is exactly what we are doing with the little ones under 5. We can put it right on their ankle and it hopefully stays. The bracelets are great because you can't read the writting unless you hold it right up to your face.

irish1967
08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
When they were younger - but old enough to want to walk at times, we made the hard and fast rule that if they weren't in the stroller, they were holding onto an adult's hand (Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Uncle, or Aunt) If they let go for any reason, they went back in the stroller immediately! Since we rented strollers until our youngest was 6 - this worked really well until our last visit.

Now that they children are older they know to go to a CM (we show them what the "official" name tags look like) if they get separated from us - they both get baseball hats on our first day and the first thing we do is write the cell phone # on the inside.

ArtDeco
08-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Lots of good advice, guys... thanks! Mine is a clever little thing and this will be her first time without a stroller (she's 7, but we let her have a stroller all the way up to 6 for OUR convenience mostly) So you've given me many great ideas and advice.

We've always gone with the 'find a mom' rule. I'm thinking I'll add the 'identify a CM' idea and get some ID on her, probably the bracelet.

The photo in the morning is a good idea too. Zero additional effort (although on 'kamikazee' days we don't even take a camera).

Thanks again!

PS she's broken-hearted about not being chauffered around the parks :) Prima donna!

Jenemmy
08-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Wow, I am actually really glad to read positive responses on this thread because I had a HORRIBLE experience with CM's when my son ran off in the MK! We went through probably 4 or 5 CM's before we actually found one willing to help and then she really could not have cared less or been more rude. It was so disheartening to a Disney freak like me!

She basically shrugged and told me to go to wherever we saw our son last and he would probably come back. I pointed out to her then that my son had autism and was nonverbal and could not seek help on his own. Again, she shrugged. I finally said (and I was outwardly calm, but inwardly jelly) "Wal Mart has a plan for lost children.....doesn't DISNEY WORLD have a plan for lost children?? This must be a daily occurence here!" she said she guessed we could put his description in the computer and have other CM's be on the look out for him. On our way to do just that, I caught a glimspe of him waaaaayyyyy down main street. Two teenage girls were trying to catch him as their mom had seen the little guy run by alone and figured out what had happened. My son was laughing and having the time of his life. At the moment when I had him in my arms again is when I outwardly lost it. I was really too engrossed to get the CM's name or Disney surely would have known about her.

I knew this just had to be an unusual event there, so I am so glad to read what others have posted.

jkj1224
08-17-2007, 11:09 PM
As scary and stressful as it is to lose a child in the parks, keep in mind that as the parent you need to remain calm...CM and security can usually find the child quite quickly but frequently parents get so upset that they cannot give a description of the child and CM don't know what to look for.

TheRustyScupper
08-18-2007, 01:19 AM
. . . parents get so upset . . .

I have had parents
. . . yell at me that their child would be molested
. . . yell at me that their child would be harmed
. . . yell at me that their child would be permanently lost
. . . yell at me that their child would be traumatized
. . . yell at me that their child deserved a PA System announcement
. . . yell at me that their child & parent would sue WDW
. . . yell at me that their child & parent would sue me personally

EDIT: Some parents forget that it is THEY who lost a child, not me.

LudwigVonDrake
08-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Last month at the Magic Kingdom I saw this happen. A CM was talking to a boy that was around 10 years old or so and the kid was a mess because he had gotten separated from his parents. The CM was asking the kid information and such. About an hour later, I saw the same CM with the same kid walking toward the first aid center so the problem was still ongoing. I'm sure it turned out okay but I was surprised that it hadn't been solved yet!

crazypoohbear
08-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I have had parents
. . . yell at me that their child would be molested
. . . yell at me that their child would be harmed
. . . yell at me that their child would be permanently lost
. . . yell at me that their child would be traumatized
. . . yell at me that their child deserved a PA System announcement
. . . yell at me that their child & parent would sue WDW
. . . yell at me that their child & parent would sue me personally

EDIT: Some parents forget that it is THEY who lost a child, not me.

SO.... how many times have you been sued???? ;)

I can understand the parent being stressed and worried but as long as the CM is calm and helpful what more do they want????
Maybe for 007 or agent 86 clones to pop out of the sidewalks and look exclusively for their child.

I for one am going in9 days with THREE teenage boys a 4 year old boy and a 9 WEEK old boy. I bet by the end of the week I'll be hopping at least one of them gets lost :blush::D

dumbo ears
08-18-2007, 01:06 PM
ive heard they take lost kids to city hall but im not for sure.

lucymouse4
08-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, personnally, I've not has an encounter with any actually lost kids. Although CMs are told what to do in such a situation.

To clear up something that was said earlier, not all CMs are walkie-talkie capable. Managers always are, and CMs at a register usually have a phone with them, but otherwise, they won't have a walkie.
So, if a kid comes up to me, I ask him if his parents are lost! Because the kid isn't lost, he knows exactly where he is! :) Then I'd probably give the kid some stickers or something just to calm him down. Then I'd go take the kid to City Hall (I worked at MK right by City Hall, so it's the closest place to go). Those CMs would take it from there.

Like I said, I've never actually had this situation, but I'd just try to keep the kid happy! And there's lots of stuff City Hall people can do to make the kid feel special even though his parents got lost in the park somewhere! :)

Victor Kelly
08-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally I was going to say:

Where do you think all the Small World kids came from?

The solution is not an easy one. Even adults become separated at times, but we have cell phones. Perhaps one of those phone that has a preset number that the child always carries if over the age of 5 or 7. Other than that, I cannot fathom how one would lose a child any younger. I never got lost, but that is because my parents were eagle eyed and always kept hold of me. The simple method of always holding hands not only creates a bond, but also it is practical.

Mickey Loves Golf
08-19-2007, 11:24 PM
First and foremost as cast members we are taught that we have lost parents...we never have lost children. In buses we have a signal code we radio to our coordinators. We say we have a child waiting for his/her lost parents. We ask the appropriate questions and then give the coordinators that information. We reassure the child using various methods and stay with the child until the lost parents are found. :mickey:

kmo84
08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Very interesting topic. I have been fortunate that in all our visits to Disney, only on the last trip did we become separated from one of our kids.
Fortunately it was my oldest. He is 13. He went to City Hall and they let him use a phone to call me on my cell.

I know that smaller kids might not be able to do the same. What a scary experience for the kids and the adults.

And I loved the small world joke. ;)