PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice on PEI?

mjaclyn
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi all! My family and I were thinking of visiting Prince Edward Island in Canada next summer. We've never been there, but have heard great things about it. We're also huge fans of 'Anne of Green Gables' and the 'Road to Avonlea' series. Does anyone have any advice or could anyone recommend websites where I can find information? I know absolutely nothing about getting there, where to stay, what to do, etc. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Mickey'sGirl
08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
We LOVE PEI! We stayed in Cavendish and within walking distance to both "Green Gables" and L.M. Montgomery's family home. The beaches are phenomenal (and you can see jellyfish!) and the seafood is fresh and wonderful.

There is a terrific PEI visitor's (http://www.peionline.com/)bureau as soon as you get onto the Island, and you can get free maps etc .. there are terrific websites (http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3?number=1017146) too! After dinner each night we would use the map (that had lighthouses marked on it) and travel around "lighthouse hunting". Some were huge and some were no taller than me.... it was terrific fun.

Word of advice, do not follow the "Historic Routes" which sometimes became nothing more than muddy rutts in an old dirt road. They were AWFUL!

PM me if you want more! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
PEI was definitely one of our favorite vacations ever. The seal boat tour was great, the lighthouses were beautiful, and Green Gables was a dream for DW who is also a life-long Anne fan. Go the the official PEI website and order an island guide vacation brochure, which is full of great ideas and coupons. To find it, google Prince Edward Island and the province website will be the first link. The click "vacation with us" and you can get everything you need. We stayed at the Anne's Windy Poplars cabins and found them to be perfect, both in terms of location and accomodation. As Jennifer said, PM me if you want all of our links, but I honestly think that vacation brochure is the absolute best place to start.

mjaclyn
08-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks so much! I ordered the vacation brochure. I think I'd like to find out what the difference is between all of the different places to stay on PEI and decide where we'd like to go before looking into a house to rent or hotels. What would be the best place for us to stay if we'd like to be in close proximity to the beaches/shopping/restaurants?

Strmchsr
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Honestly, nothing is far away. The place I mentioned was only 10 minutes from almost everything. however, if you want to be as close as possible look to stay in Charlottetown. The rest of PEI is fairly rural.

murphy1
08-24-2007, 07:19 PM
I have that on my list of places to vacation. A friend of mine lives in Ontario and loves to go there, i even made her dd a dress and pinafore just like Anne and she bought the wig, Here

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v178/shariw1/sewing%20projects/?action=view&current=anneofgreendress.jpg

mjaclyn
08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
How cute!!! I love the photo!

I think we may end up staying near Cavendish because that seems to be where all of the 'Anne' attractions are. Also, next year is the 100th anniversary of Anne of Green Gables so there are going to be a lot of events that have to do with LMM and the books. Can't wait to go!!