PDA

View Full Version : How is Kona Cafe?

Disneyfirsttimer
08-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I had a reservation for 10/15 at Kona and called yesterday to see if I could switch to 10/19. I figured the answer would be no since we are less than 60 days away from our trip. They had almost all dinner times available after 5:00pm. I was surprised.

I was looking forward to trying Kona. Is the dining not that good or is it a hidden treasure?

Karyn

faline
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Very pleasant and yummy dining spot! O'Hana, however, is just a short distance away and seems to be the more popular spot.

SBETigg
08-16-2007, 11:41 AM
'Ohana is more popular due to location and the party atmosphere, perhaps, but many would argue that Kona, a more intimate atmosphere in a tucked away location, has the better food. I think you'll really enjoy it.

ThanxForNoticin
08-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Do not mistake the quick availability to mean that Kona is not very good. It is an excellent and fun place to eat. Save room for dessert, and enjoy...

TBY2225
08-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Kona Cafe was our favorite last year! I love the mahi-mahi and IMO it was the best thing I had to eat all vacation! Everyone in my group enjoyed it. So much so that we are going back twice next month!

Disneyfirsttimer
08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your replies! We ate at Ohana our last trip. The kids had fun, but the food was OK to us. The atmosphere I agree is fun as well. We are not doing Ohana this trip and have opted for Kona.

After your replies, we are really looking forward to ending our trip with this dining experience.

Karyn

sillyolbear
08-16-2007, 02:55 PM
We've found Kona to be a consistently good restaurant. It doesn't have the compelling atmosphere of some but don't let that fool you. You can't eat atmosphere!

Hope you enjoy your meal!

Mom2princesses
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Kona is definitely a hidden treasure! Not many people know how great the food is there. I have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner there and have never been disappointed. The food is great and the desserts are even better! Yum!

ILoveDisney818
08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Last August, we booked Kona with no prior knowledge of the food. It was my favorite all week! I really enjoyed the beef teriyaki, and the smoothies are excellent!

Jared
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Kona Cafe is arguably my favorite restaurant in Walt Disney World, including the more popular 'Ohana. The appetizers and desserts are all fabulous, and the entrees aren't too shabby, either.

Try the crab cakes!

threeh
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Kona is my families favorite. The food is very very good and the atmosphere seems more low key to me. I think most people book Ohana so it seems Kona is always available. We try to eat at least once each trip. in februaury we are finally going to eat breakfast there as well. Yum!!!:thumbsup:

Followthatmouse
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Kona Cafe has become a traditional part of our trips to WDW. The atmosphere is relaxed. There are heavenly aromas floating from the flowers of the lobby grotto and from the beans at the coffee bar. The menu has something for everyone. The desserts are fun and the coffee is good. Oh, and when they say the chicken wings are sticky, believe them!

jenperich
08-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I absolutely LOVE the Kona Cafe!!! It's the best. The coffee is delicious and the atmosphere is just beautiful.

sokrcoach
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
:mickey: Kona is an oustanding place to eat. Ohana is better known and may even have some lines but Kona has great food and drinks and even better desserts

:mickey::marg:

Polynesian Dweller
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Kona has become an annual for us. The food is consistently good and we like the less hectic atmosphere compared to O'hana. Definitely a hidden gem and well worth the ressie.

SurferStitch
08-23-2007, 12:52 PM
We had dinner at Kona last December (1st time), and it was pretty good. I loved the crab cakes, but the shrimp/scallops entree was just good, not WOW. Dessert was great, coffee was terribly weak and odd tasting. DH said while his meal was good, it wasn't memorable.

We are having breakfast there again this December, but we'll skip dinner. There are a lot of must-do's for us, and Kona just hasn't made that list. I'm sure we'll do dinner there again some day, just not this time around. It is a great value on the DDP for only one TS credit, though. It would have been a pretty expensive meal for what we got if we had to pay OOP.

We preferred the food and service at 'Ohana, which has become a must-do for us.