PDA

View Full Version : 2 bedroom villa (okw) VS GF

doff6356
08-16-2007, 04:30 AM
We are a party of 6 coming to the World in early Feb 2008. Can't decide between booking a 2bdr Key West Villa for the lot of us, or just getting our own rooms in the GF. We like the idea of the Villa but are afraid we will miss out on some of the Disney experience. Any thoughts?

ThanxForNoticin
08-16-2007, 06:58 AM
There are definitely advantages to both. I think a 2BR Villa at OKW could be perfect for a group of 6 - lots of space, a kitchen, and washer/dryer (if those amenities interest you). OKW is also probably a bit quieter.

The location of GF is better if you plan to spend a lot of time at MK. If you are spending more time at the other parks or the water parks, then the location is less important - you'll probably have to take bus transportation anyway. If you spend a lot of time at DTD, you can walk or take a boat from OKW.

If you have your own car, parking at OKW is much easier. GF has a bigger pool area and a pretty nice spa! Good luck with your decision. You can't make a 'bad' choice.

Maleficent's Dad
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM
:welcome:To Intercot!

I wouldn't say you'd "miss out on some of the Disney Experience" by staying at OKW, but there are some major differences in the two resorts. I've stayed at both, and I very much enjoy both resorts.

Both have pools, tennis, are close to golf, have water taxis (although to different locations), Disney CM's, solid theming, beautiful grounds, and all that Disney can offer.

Some differences:

GF: Extensive choice of restaurants, on the monorail, gorgeous lobby, Victorian theme, white sand beach, very close to the MK, more extensive marina, hotel rooms that are themed (but otherwise would be standard size outside of WDW), some rooms with views of the MK, character meals in resort.

OKW: Extremely spread out resort (large!), enormous accomodations (2BR you talk about is fabulous!), full kitchen and laundry room will be in your villa, removed from parks (this can be a good thing), laid back atmosphere and theme (no hustle/bustle), small marina, you could be a long ways away from main pool and check in area, several quiet pools, all rooms with views of water or golf, if you drive, you'll park your car right in front of your room.

I have to tell you, both places are really great. For luxury, you may want to go with the GF; and the proximity to the MK make it a huge plus with kids.

For space and getting away from the manic Disney pace, OKW can prove heavenly. The kitchen is a huge perk, and your own laundry room can be a godsent...

Good luck with your choice. Look over the two resorts as they are quite different - in terms of room size, theme, and location! :mickey:

Madame Leona
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I have never stayed at GF but I did just stay in a two bedroom villa in OKW in May. It was wonderful. The room was clean and there was so much room to move around. We had four adults and one child and we really never felt like we were on top of each other. Also, there were a lot of closets to tuck away the luggage, purchases, and our stroller. I would recommend it to anyone.

MickeyMousse
08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Our stay at OKW was great: the room was large (we had a studio), the balcony faced the golf course (lovely) and we really enjoyed the quiet after being in the parks all day. It is definitely a laid back atmosphere, which we appreciated.

I have never stayed at GF, but have visited to meet friends during a vacation. I will say, I loved the idea of the monorail and being so close to MK...and the resort is gorgeous.

Guess it's what ammenities mean the most to you. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy!:)

goofy68
08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
We are also a party of six traveling to Disney
World in January 2008. We decided to stay at Saratoga Springs Resort instead of GF. We are also renting a 2 bedroom villa. The huge space, full kitchen, laundry room (means less packing), and my wife enjoys the jacuzzi tub after a long day in the parks. All this at a much lower price than two rooms at GF.

TammiMcMan
08-16-2007, 12:01 PM
If you're concerned about Disney "magic", perhaps you'd want to consider a 2 bedroom unit at the BC or BW. They're slightly more expensive than OKW, but much cheaper than 2 rooms at the GF. The BC units are about a 3 minute walk into Epcot and the pool is a huge hit. The BW units are closer to 10-15 minute walk to either Epcot or MGM. It's a great area, full of things to do and I think you'll feel like you're in the middle of everything.

goofy68
08-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I tried to get a villa in the WL (to be close to the MK), but they said the only available villas in Jan. and Feb. were SSR and OKW. Any reason? In the past we were able to book at any of the villas on short notice.

mermaidmarian
08-18-2007, 07:08 AM
We've stayed in the Grand Villa at OKW and the accomodation was amazing. It is a very large and wonderfully appointed unit. There will be ample room for your group. While I loved the unit, I found the grounds and the resort itself lacking - I was certainly expecting something more in keeping with what I had previously experienced at Disney resorts - there is very little of what could be equated with the typical resort flavor here. It is designed more like a small town with cul-de-sacs around a golf course, and a small resort hub. You cannot easily walk from Point A to PointB, as there are not walkways built into the theme. As this was one of the original DVC Home Away From Home Resorts, I believe there was a presumption built into the plan of the resort that the guests are not "traditional" on property people looking for "typical" on property amenities. The manner of the development of the later DVC Home Away From Home Resorts suggests that they have since learned otherwise - I think OKW really lacks what people who are looking for an "on property experience" are seeking. JMO.

Since that trip, whenever we travel as a family (6+), we request (and have received) adjoining and/or connecting rooms at a Moderate resort. This has suited our needs much better. If the cost between the two options you have suggested is relatively comparable - if it were me, I would go for the separate rooms at the GF.

doff6356
08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks to all that replied. Booked a BW Villa today (BC all booked up).Looking forward to my 1st visit in 20 years.