PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate Encounter with a CM

Dare To Dream
08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
We just returned from a quick trip to WDW before our DD leaves for college. We went to Saturday's Pirate and Princess Party. That was wonderful! We had a wonderful time with one exception.

CM's are human and they, like the rest of us, can have rough days where being cheerful and upbeat is not in the realm of possible. When we have encountered a CM having a bad day we have always strived to really thank them and try and improve their day at least a little. Or, at the very least, not add to their bad day.

Saturday night my DD and I were in line for her to see Cinderella's wicked stepmother, Anastasia, and Drisella. A CM came and closed the line after a mom and DD behind us. The five us enjoyed talking waiting for our turn. As we got closer to the front of the line another CM kept yelling (screeching?) at the CM by us telling him to close the line. He smiled and always told her it was. When we finally got up to the characters I handed our photo pass to the photographer and my DD posed with the characters. I did not get to take a photo as the female CM pulled my DD by the arm away from the characters. As I stood waiting for the photographer to give me the photo pass back the female CM pushed me in the upper back and told me to get out of the way. I was shocked. So was the photographer. No, I was not over reacting. I had enough people witness it. The push was strong enough to make me take a couple of steps forward. As we were walking away I saw one of the managers walking towards the three characters. I approached him and explained that I did not appreciate the CM (by name) and felt it was most inappropriate that she pushed me. He did not say anthing. Approximately 30 minutes later we passed the same female CM chewing on the ear of the other CM complaining about a explicative, explicative who dared to complain about her. I felt sorry for the male CM but really feel that the female CM was way beyond a "bad day". I am still in shock by her behavior. :confused:

SBETigg
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I think you should write a letter to mention the complaint specifically. I know that everyone has bad days, but pushing you is just inexcusable and I don't want that CM in the parks or around my kids. So sorry for your bad experience.

jennsky
08-15-2007, 08:35 PM
I am on this kick lately to write letters when things that aren't right occur. I really think you need to write a letter to Disney and explain what happened and that it was totally un-Disneylike and extremely disapointing. I was brought up with the philosophy that "when you're right, you're right" and you are totally in the right in knowing that you shouldn't have been treated that way. How awful!

chrisb26
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
:ditto:

Its one thing to be grouchy and not in a very plesent mood. That is understandable everybody has a bad day. But to physically do something to somebody that is not right at all. That CM really shouldn't be there. I agree I would write and tell them what happened. Nobody has a right to put their hands on you and especially not your daughter like that.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-15-2007, 08:45 PM
You should absolutely write a letter! If they don't know there is a problem, how can they fix it? I'd be willing to bet that you aren't the only ones to have a problem with this CM. But nothing will be done unless enough people complain about her.

Dare To Dream
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Can someone point me towards the correct address?

LoriMistress
08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
We just returned from a quick trip to WDW before our DD leaves for college. We went to Saturday's Pirate and Princess Party. That was wonderful! We had a wonderful time with one exception.

CM's are human and they, like the rest of us, can have rough days where being cheerful and upbeat is not in the realm of possible. When we have encountered a CM having a bad day we have always strived to really thank them and try and improve their day at least a little. Or, at the very least, not add to their bad day.

Saturday night my DD and I were in line for her to see Cinderella's wicked stepmother, Anastasia, and Drisella. A CM came and closed the line after a mom and DD behind us. The five us enjoyed talking waiting for our turn. As we got closer to the front of the line another CM kept yelling (screeching?) at the CM by us telling him to close the line. He smiled and always told her it was. When we finally got up to the characters I handed our photo pass to the photographer and my DD posed with the characters. I did not get to take a photo as the female CM pulled my DD by the arm away from the characters. As I stood waiting for the photographer to give me the photo pass back the female CM pushed me in the upper back and told me to get out of the way. I was shocked. So was the photographer. No, I was not over reacting. I had enough people witness it. The push was strong enough to make me take a couple of steps forward. As we were walking away I saw one of the managers walking towards the three characters. I approached him and explained that I did not appreciate the CM (by name) and felt it was most inappropriate that she pushed me. He did not say anthing. Approximately 30 minutes later we passed the same female CM chewing on the ear of the other CM complaining about a explicative, explicative who dared to complain about her. I felt sorry for the male CM but really feel that the female CM was way beyond a "bad day". I am still in shock by her behavior. :confused:

Sorry about your encounter. I would suggest either writing a complain to WDW by mail or email. They DO respond to complaints. I don't know how I or my DH would have responded if that happened to me. My DH is the type if someone pushed me how you described.

goofyfan4466
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
i can tell you that it would have been bad if somebody would have touched my wife or twin girls the wrong way. i would have made a scene right then and there. i would not want to make it bad for anybody else but i'm not going to let anybody take advantage of my family.

madenny
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
The CM's can definitely make or break your day. In all my trips, I have only had one negative experience with a CM, but it was just a grumpy monorail member. No where near as bad as your experience! Just rest assured that is definitely not the norm from CM's. Even before the year of a million dreams, I have had cast members really help make our trip exceptional (no tip required). Good luck whatever you decide.:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
:eek: Wow, I would not have been too pleased. I can't imagine how I would have reacted.

I would absolutely write a letter and explain what happened.

I am sorry that happened to you guys.

Jen C.
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I am so sorry that happened to you and your family. How nice that you are still able to look at the party in a postive way overall;)

Under NO circumstances is it O.K. for anyone to put their hands on you in an aggresive manner (or really in any manner). Period. Please, please, speak up about this. This individual does not deserve to work with the public.:(

DisneyKim22
08-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow! I absolutely would write that letter (or call)! Unless your daughter was in danger or (possibly causing harm to someone else), there is NO reason for anyone to grab her. And, the same goes for you. Unless you were in danger or causing harm, there is absolutely no reason for a CM to touch you.

I do commend you on being a calm adult. Had someone grabbed my daughter and pushed me, I probably would have been angry enough to make a scene. Especially if a manager I reported it to said nothing. That would have made me even more upset. :mad:

I'm sorry you had to experience this.

disneynarula
08-15-2007, 09:33 PM
There is no excuse for this. I would write a letter and call WDW.

There are two issues here.

1. Poor customer service. No matter what kind of day a CM is having their job is to provide magic for guests. If they are having a hard time they need to pretend they are having the best day ever. I worked for WDW and I can remember times when people would be awful to me. No matter what I put a big smile on my face and spread my pixie dust.

2. Physical Abuse. Not acceptable under any circumstances. That CM should be fired.

glenpreece
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah that is pretty crazy. That breaks the Disney keys of service and that person should be disciplined. They should never touch the Guests I would have flipped out on the CM myself.

Dare To Dream
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
I have written a letter and will call WDW tomorrow to get an address to send it to. Thanks to all for letting me vent.

Catwillow
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
My question is....why didn't you make a stop at guest relations on your way out and say something or go there right after the incident?

I can guarantee you IF an employee had pushed me and been rude to my family WITH witnesses I would have taken care of it right away. I would have also asked for the CM's names that were all involved wether walking by or not.

mttafire
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
My question is....why didn't you make a stop at guest relations on your way out and say something or go there right after the incident?

I can guarantee you IF an employee had pushed me and been rude to my family WITH witnesses I would have taken care of it right away. I would have also asked for the CM's names that were all involved wether walking by or not.
Have to agree with this one. Situations like this IMHO, Require immediate attention. :thumbsup:

MickeysEars
08-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I think that bad days aside, physical contact is completly unacceptable. If you ask me, I would have gone up to her while she was complaining about ME and ask her if SHE would have put up with anyone laying their hand on HER...:-o

Dare To Dream
08-15-2007, 11:29 PM
1. Why didn't I go straight to customer relations?

I did not want to let this one CM ruin my family's vacation. If I had gone back to Main Street I would have missed the fireworks with my family. And for what? To have a CM say they were sorry that the whole thing had happened? I had already spoken with a member of the management team specifically associated with this area of service who had obviously spoken with the CM. I absolutely did not want that CM to become the focus of our time at the party. Rest assure that I did make mental notes of the names of all involved and included them in my detailed letter to WDW. The letter is written from the position of a guest as well as a Disney stock holder.

2. Why didn't I confront the CM?

I have a reputation at work for not backing down from any fight and for not loosing. The key is to know when and where to engage. The middle of the park with my family present was not the time nor the place. Enlightening this CM on her inappropriate behavior was far less important than salvaging a fun night with my family before my DD leaves for college.

mttafire
08-15-2007, 11:52 PM

I did not want to let this one CM ruin my family's vacation. If I had gone back to Main Street I would have missed the fireworks with my family. And for what? To have a CM say they were sorry that the whole thing had happened? I had already spoken with a member of the management team specifically associated with this area of service who had obviously spoken with the CM. I absolutely did not want that CM to become the focus of our time at the party. Rest assure that I did make mental notes of the names of all involved and included them in my detailed letter to WDW. The letter is written from the position of a guest as well as a Disney stock holder.

I have a reputation at work for not backing down from any fight and for not loosing. The key is to know when and where to engage. The middle of the park with my family present was not the time nor the place. Enlightening this CM on her inappropriate behavior was far less important than salvaging a fun night with my family before my DD leaves for college.

Cant argue with that.:mickey:

Tinkerfreak
08-16-2007, 06:54 AM
I have to say I am impressed with the way you handled the situation. Not only did you report the incident to a manager but you kept your cool. Most importantly I feel you set a good example for your daughter. You stood up for her and yourself by reporting the cm but you did not resort to causing a big scene and causing more tension in an allready tense situation. I think writing a letter now is the way to go since you do have the names of witnesses needed. Good luck with this and please let us know if you get a response.

beksy
08-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I just wanted to commend you on the way you responded. I think that it was absolutely appropriate (not that I could have probably done the same thing if it happened to me or my family :mad:!). Further confrontation beyond speaking to the manager would have just made things worse and could have hurt other people's experiences that night. It was more important to enjoy the time with your family and then write a letter letting Disney know about the problem when you got home. You probably will get more attention that way anyway! Glad you had a good trip! :mickey:

Ian
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I can tell you definitively that this woman's day would have gotten quite a bit worse had she tried that with either my DW or either of my kids.

There is absolutely no excuse for anyone (let alone an employee) to put their hands on another guest. Would I have made a scene right then and there? You better bet I would have.

I would have demanded a manager come on the spot and would have kept going until the CM was fired. I don't care if I had to call Bob Iger himself. A person who works all day with small children (not to mention one who works lines for character meet n greets!) simply cannot be someone who finds it acceptable to push people around.

Quite honestly, she'd have been lucky to avoid my punching her square in the mouth. :mad:

The Bookseller
08-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I have written a letter and will call WDW tomorrow to get an address to send it to. Thanks to all for letting me vent.

Dare to Dream, Thank you for making a step in a better Guest experience for all of us. By writing to the Guest Relations, you are sure that you will be heard. Maybe they are just waiting for such a letter to send the offending CM packing.

Once again, thank you for doing the right thing.

TheRustyScupper
08-16-2007, 10:38 AM
1) Even I have my good days and bad days.
2) However, it is INEXCUSABLE to push or swear at a guest.
3) This CM needed to be reported.
4) Who knows how many other occurrences?

NOTE: I excuse grumpy or inconsiderate CM's because I know the way some guests can treat them. However, this way WAY out of line.

MickeyMousse
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow, I would definitely write a letter :write: and send it certified mail, so you know someone received it.:thumbsup:

I am a HUGE letter writer when I am not satisfied with services.

Years ago my DH and I had a problem with a bellman at YC and I constructed enroute on Delta Airlines back to NY:plane: (using my WDW pen). Next day, sent it certified mail to the post office and within 3 weeks I received a letter back from the manager of YC apologizing. It was a few years later that we bacame friend with a few CM's at YC (Captain Bob anyone?:captain:) and reiterated the story...ends up they remembered the bellman and he was "let go" :thumbsup: due to numerous complaints a few yrs earlier...

Plus, how DARE a CM touch your DD :nono:...I could understand if she were in danger or something....but :noway:....write the letter.

wedway76
08-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I know that everyone has bad days, but pushing you is just inexcusable and I don't want that CM in the parks or around my kids.

Exactly SBETigg!

First of all you don't want the kids to even see such behavior.

Seconly, anyone who would act like that may be mentally unstable, and who knows what they may be capable of.

Ian
08-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Secondly, anyone who would act like that may be mentally unstable, and who knows what they may be capable of.I totally agree ... that's why I would push this as far as you can (possibly even to the police). Who's to say she won't choke the next kid or hit him/her over the head with a chair?

I'm sorry ... I know Disney has issues recruiting enough CM's, but they need to do a better job. Having violent people working around kids is inexcuseable.

Goofster
08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow! I think you handled it appropriately at the Park, but the letter must be sent. A written letter with names, dates and a description of the incident will do far more than a verbal complaint.

We shouldn't tolerate bad customer service at all. I personally don't care if someone is having a 'bad day' and feels like treating me like garbage. If an individual, working in the customer service field, cannot set aside his/her attiude and treat guests/customers with respect and a smile, then he or she is in the wrong line of work.

Pushing, screaming, and using explicitives is completely out of line and that CM should be fired.

SallyfromDE
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Can someone point me towards the correct address?

Meg Gilbert Crofton
WDW Resort Executive Offices
Box 10,000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Ian
08-16-2007, 02:40 PM
We shouldn't tolerate bad customer service at all. I personally don't care if someone is having a 'bad day' and feels like treating me like garbage. If an individual, working in the customer service field, cannot set aside his/her attiude and treat guests/customers with respect and a smile, then he or she is in the wrong line of work.A-MEN, Goofster.

I am constantly amazed at how many people are willing to accept behavior from CM's (who should, arguably, be held to the highest customer service standards of anyone) that they would never accept from the guy at McDonald's or Wal-Mart.

Dicecatt262
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I am impressed with how you handled the situation. I think that sometimes when we have a not so nice experience with a CM, it comes as such as a surprise that our reactions might not be what they should be...for me to sit here now and say that I would have confronted the woman...well, that is what I would like to think I would have done. However, recently we had an unpleasant experience with a CM at the Boardwalk, and I was so surprised I didn't really say anything at all. Later my DH spoke with a manager, but it put a damper on our day, unfortunately, and it was nowhere near as bad as what happened to you.

I hold CMs to a higher standard than most workers, and I treat then well always. I am actually envious of most of them, I would love to feel magic during my work day! So when a CM is not just having a bad day but downright rude, it surprises me so much that I don't react in my usual behavior. I think I would have done exactly what the OP did and not let it ruin my night.

I think you are doing the right thing by sending a letter!

bleukarma
08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
I am so happy to hear that you didn’t let the CM ruin your night! I think you took care of the situation appropriately by mentioning the incident to the manager and following up with a letter. Not only am I in shock that she actually pushed you but to talk about you to another CM is just downright wrong!!! Personal business (and being reported about is personal business, whether it’s a positive report or a negative report) belongs backstage and not in the middle of the park. Also foul language is not tolerated by a guest (I know we hear it sometimes but it’s against the rules and Disney has a right to throw you out of the park if they hear you swearing) let alone a CM. The language alone should’ve had her fired on the spot, not to mention the pushing and grabbing. Keep us posted if you get a response from Disney. :mickey:

xipetotec
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM

We had a slightly similar incident at the character caravan at EPCOT. In line to see donald and finally get there only to have the handler really rush us out of the way. Maybe not quite as rude as yours, but here's the kicker, my wife wanted to get her name ( to go complain ) and she HID HER ID BADGE.

WDWFREAK101
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
They are worried about some Tigger "Punch"? Why are they not worrying about this? This is a lot more serious than Tigger. You need to write a letter! The Tigger thing still baffles me. It was that kids fault. This time it was the CM's fault. That person needs to be fired. That person was having much more of a bad day. It is almost impossible to have a bad day in Disney world. Cast members are the ones that make guests happy. If a CM is not happy, guests are not happy. Being a CM is the only job that i actually WANT to got to work. Sorry for your expierience. You need to write that letter!

Dare To Dream
08-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I sent an e-mail this morning to Guest Communications and received an automated response acknowledging receipt. In it I provided details of the incident to include CM names, etc. If I do not hear back in a week I will send a hard copy letter revised to the address provided earlier on this thread. I titled it " Unfortunate Incident With A Cast Member" with the hope that this will garner immediate attention.

Hopefully this too will have a happy ever after ending.

teamblackwell
08-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Hi all,
This incident has nothing to do with a bad day. A bad day can result in a rude comment or ignoring customers. Putting your hands on another person the culmination of life-long anger problems. Hopfully Disney Execs will realize this and take appropriate actions.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-17-2007, 10:28 AM
First of all, let me say kuddos to you for the way you handled this situation. I wish I could say I would have responded the same way. I agree with Ian's 1st response to this thread. It is one thing if you want to mess with me, but don't even think of messing with my husband or my children or you'll see a whole new side of me.:mad:

Secondly, you were assaulted. You could report her, not only to Disney, but also to the authorities. I understand you didn't want to make a scene at the World. However, I would be concerned about her twisting off and really hurting someone, especially a little child. She sure does not deserve to work at The Happiest Place On Earth.

Just my :twocents:

SBETigg
08-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I sent an e-mail this morning to Guest Communications and received an automated response acknowledging receipt. In it I provided details of the incident to include CM names, etc. If I do not hear back in a week I will send a hard copy letter revised to the address provided earlier on this thread. I titled it " Unfortunate Incident With A Cast Member" with the hope that this will garner immediate attention.

Hopefully this too will have a happy ever after ending.

Good for you! And I think you handled it well in the first place, too. You moved on, did say something but kept your cool, and didn't lose any more Disney time over it. And now you're taking that next step. I applaud you.

Just know that it usually takes about two weeks to hear back. I would probably send a hard copy too. I think they take regular mail more seriously than email because it is in their hands, not easy to delete and forget, and not many people take the effort to actually write and post these days. But again, good for you and thank you from all of us who worry about encountering that kind of treatment.

FutureCorpsFan
08-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I have to say that you are a Saint!

Once you lay hands on, all the rules go out the window for me. I don't care who you are. I can be calm and collected and have an adult conversation, but there are a few things I've learned from managing customers over ther years:

1) You don't invade personal space.
2) Conversations should address the situation or circumstance, not the person(s) involved.
3) Some people you just can't talk rationally to.....and then??

I understand having a bad day, but there are some jobs that are more than a job. Disney employees are called cast members for a reason - because they are part of the performance that make Disney special or magical. The ones that forget this seem to take being misserable to a whole new level. I've experienced this twice at WDW and am happy say that it's not happened any more frequently given the number of CMs. In our experience, the CMs have been nothing short of amazing. However, once you break rule number 1, you deserve to have the lightning and thunder called down on you.

McGoofy
08-17-2007, 03:05 PM
We had a slightly similar incident at the character caravan at EPCOT. In line to see donald and finally get there only to have the handler really rush us out of the way. Maybe not quite as rude as yours, but here's the kicker, my wife wanted to get her name ( to go complain ) and she HID HER ID BADGE.

Unfortunately with the badges, we've noticed on a few different occasions that the CM's aren't wearing their correct name badge. For example, we'll see their badge and say, "Oh, you are from...[name the place]..." and they will say, "Oh no, I'm not from there. This isn't my name badge." One time we went to guest relations at MGM to fill out an applause form on a particular CM. When we saw him the next time we called him by what we thought was his name, and he said "oh, that wasn't my name badge." So some CM got a good report filled out on him because the other guy was wearing his badge. I hope for the OP's sake, that everybody involved in the incident was wearing the correct name badge. Please let us know if anything comes of the situation. I'm glad you reported it. Kudos to how you have handled it all!

Donald A
08-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately with the badges, we've noticed on a few different occasions that the CM's aren't wearing their correct name badge. For example, we'll see their badge and say, "Oh, you are from...[name the place]..." and they will say, "Oh no, I'm not from there. This isn't my name badge." One time we went to guest relations at MGM to fill out an applause form on a particular CM. When we saw him the next time we called him by what we thought was his name, and he said "oh, that wasn't my name badge." So some CM got a good report filled out on him because the other guy was wearing his badge. I hope for the OP's sake, that everybody involved in the incident was wearing the correct name badge. Please let us know if anything comes of the situation. I'm glad you reported it. Kudos to how you have handled it all!

I have seen that too. I remember a CM saying, "oh you have on a Cavs shirt, I'm from Cleveland." The CM actually had someone elses name tag that said Texas or something like that. The CM said no one ever wears the correct name tag.

Bottom line for me, if something like this would happen to the point where a Disney employee pushed me in the way you described, I would march to guest relations and make a report. If I was not satisfied the report would be dealt with my next call would have been to the sheriff's office. Covering up a name tag or not giving me a name would be a non-issue as I bet Disney would find that employee rather quickly as they are responsible for their employees actions.

Disneytravels
08-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I understand not wanting you mess up your vacation.
We had a problem with a CM in Blissard Beach last September at the food counter being beyond rude to me by snatching my card out of my hand and saying beyond rude things and I snapped back and proceeded to get my food. Well the fruitcake(CM) started complaing to the person behind me and saying a story that was untrue and making it seem like I was impossible...and that he wrote down my name and they were going to go to my resort and ask me to leave Disney world andescore me off ground and blah blah blah.. well the person behind me was my best friend and was in our party... After he was done BS her she just said well I heard the whole thing and I would have to say I think your full of it and I side with her and its not just because its my best friend I swear...lol His mouth got big..lol then another family piped up and said the same thing and told the guy to shut it and do his job.
Anyways I get back to the table and I was hot and wanted to complain but I got the look from my husband and brother to let it go- we are on vacation look. SO I let it go for then.. but I did write a letter and let them know everything- I got a sorry letter and that they addressed the issue. As a Travel Agent - they need to know where things go wrong so they can correct it. There is a time and place and I think you handled things great and still enjoyed your vacation. In my book Good Job! :thumbsup:

PeterPan
08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
The bottom line is this ... no one, anywhere, anytime has the right to PUT THEIR HANDS ON YOU for any reason WHATSOEVER. You have every reason to report this - WDW Managment needs to know that that CM must be reassigned to a place where they will not encounter the public.

Period.

SallyfromDE
08-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Well the fruitcake(CM) started complaing to the person behind me and saying a story that was untrue and making it seem like I was impossible...and that he wrote down my name and they were going to go to my resort and ask me to leave Disney world andescore me off ground and blah blah blah..

I'm sure it was said in your hearing, to "scare" you into saying nothing. I had an issue at Disney a few years ago, and waited to complain so I wouldn't "ruin" our trip with a scene. I got a call from Rachel in Corporate and was basically told I should have had it handled while I was there. They couldn't do much after the fact.

On our last trip, I had a problem with the "hostess" at Liberty Tree. I tried to let it go, but on our way out, I stopped at guest services to complain about her. I was told I should have asked for the manager at the resturant. That never occured to me. I know better IF it were to ever happen again.

Daisy'sMom
08-19-2007, 08:22 PM
When I had a problem, I wrote once to customer relations, when that failed, I wrote to the CEO of Disney. I got a response and was very satisfied with the outcome. :mickey:

Dare To Dream
08-27-2007, 09:45 AM
On Saturday, 11 Aug 07 during the Pirate and Princess Party my DD and I had an unfortunate encounter with a CM (see posting Unfortunate Encounter with a CM) that included me being pushed in the back by a CM. I sent an e-mail to WDW Guest Communications who in turn sent me an underwhelming response. I have never been more disappointed by WDW than this. Obviously pushing a guest is now worthy of nothing more than inaccurate, auto-generated response.:shake:
(Please note that it begins with an automated response for an MVP Club Card - I have no idea what that is)

WDW's response to being pushed in the back by a CM:

"We apologize for the delay in receiving you MVP Club Card.

Please confirm with us that you still have not received your card and we will send you a new card immediately.

Thank You!
ESPN Zone

Dear <my name> ,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World&#174; Resort.

I am truly sorry for your disappointment with a member of our Cast.
When we receive comments from Guests, such as yours, they are shared with various areas of our organization. This allows us to identify what we are doing right, and what we can do better. You may be assured that your observations have been shared and taken seriously.

If you should wish to discuss your comments further, or provide us with additional details, you may call me at <snip>. If I am not immediately available when you call, please leave your telephone number and an indication of the best time to reach you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your honest and constructive feedback. We hope to have future opportunities to entertain you at our Resort.

Sincerely,

<snip>
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World&#174; Resort

DisneyNut2005
08-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. It really is upsetting to know that "rotten apple" CMs are out there...and that person who pushed you definetely sounds like one of them. :(

Maybe you should try calling the phone number that was listed.

Or you could write a written letter, since actual letters are usually taken more seriously than e-mails.

Just some advice...

magicman
08-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I read your original post last week and was appalled.

I think that the response that you're getting right now is just the standard initial response, and I'm betting that you get a much more in-depth follow-up message.

By the way, I think you've handled everything, from the point of the incident to filing a complaint, 100% correct. (You didn't ruin your family's vacation by making a scene [which showed great restraint on your part], but you followed up with a written complaint [instead of letting it slide.])

Thanks for the follow-up.

GreenBeetle
08-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Since a contact person and phone number were given in the response letter, I would not hesitate to call. Tell them how disappointed you are in the way this was handled. There is NO excuse for the way the CM treated you, and an automatic response to the problem is not acceptable. If you had pushed the CM that way, you most likely would have been removed from the park.

The Flying Dutchman
08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I agree with greenbeetle. Call and make sure you are heard. WDW is supposed to be the happiest place on earth, not the happiest place on earth where you are manhandled and mistreated!:mad:

disneyfan328
08-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree, I would be on the phone already. Standard initial response or not. They definetly need to address this further.

mttafire
08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I read your original post last week and was appalled.

I think that the response that you're getting right now is just the standard initial response, and I'm betting that you get a much more in-depth follow-up message.

By the way, I think you've handled everything, from the point of the incident to filing a complaint, 100% correct. (You didn't ruin your family's vacation by making a scene [which showed great restraint on your part], but you followed up with a written complaint [instead of letting it slide.])

Thanks for the follow-up.
agreed.

Figment!
08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
While I do agree that a more personalized response is in general more warranted for the severity of your issue, due to the volume of mail Guest Communications gets on a daily basis and potential legal ramifications, I understand why your first response was somewhat formulaic.

The fact that you were given a contact name and number is quite good, and I would strongly suggest you follow up and explain your situation again in person.

Keep in mind that your issue will likely be handled with-out any acknowledgment of wrong doing on the Company's part, doing so would potentially hold themselves liable.

MMouse6937
08-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I also agree this was a pretty standard response given the amount of correspondence they must receive. I would then follow up with the phone # and make sure your voice is heard. Good luck!

Dare To Dream
08-27-2007, 11:44 AM
I agree that the second portion of the response is standard ops for large companies who employ an automated correspondence system. What I am most disappointed with is the mix of someone else's response with the response sent to me. Volume is no excuse for a company that is supposed to be the world's leader in customer service. According to Disney's own keys to success - efficiency does not take precedence over customer service.

dolphinmickey9170
08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I was at this same party and several CM acted like they didn't want to be there. While approaching one of the treasure spots, I spoke to a CM saying "Hi, how are ya?" and his response as he rolled his eyes was, "I'm here" like he would rather be elsewhere. I just said, "Alrighty then" and kept walking. Several others were quite "Grumpy" too. Must have been a bad night for a lot of folks. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. There is NO excuse for this type of behavior. When you make your call, let us know how Disney handled this. Thanks and good luck.

#1donaldfan
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I just hope I never have to post about a negative contact with a CM......that would just about ruin my idea of Disney.......it's the best place on earth and to think in any negative content, just don't add up......I understand CM are human, and everyone has bad days, but they are supposed to be bigger than human.....why, they are all our imaginations and characters......combined into one happy place.....

robyn221
08-27-2007, 02:56 PM
You're right, that email response was a little weird, in that it combined what appeared to be two very different "canned" responses. However, large companies like Disney send out these types of responses for two reasons:

To acknowledge receipt of your complaint, and
To see how strongly you feel about the incident.

A lot of people will stop at the automated response. Those who feel strongly will make the call and continue to push to make sure that the situation is corrected.

I agree with other posters that recommend you contact the person who's name is on the email. It probably wouldn't hurt to very politely let that person know that you are a regular poster on this site and that you intend to post about your experience, good or bad, regarding how this issue is resolved .

Good luck!

Robyn:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
I've had the same thing happen. In 96 my sister and I took a trip and had the plan with Pleasure Island. She was 18 and I was 20 at the time. The lady checking IDs didn't think we were that old and pushed her back through the turnstyle. She had a bruise on the entire side of her thigh. When we complained all they said was that we looked like we were 12 and there was nothing they could do. I hope you get a better response than we did. Unless you are doing something that is illegal or could harm someone else no one should lay a hand on you.

Dare To Dream
08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I just called the number provided and it did go to a confidential voice mail box. I left a detailed message to include my disappointment in receiving a combined automated response. I also referenced the advice I have received from Intercot. We will see if I receive a phone call back.

robyn221
08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Give them no more than one week to return your call, then call back. Continue to do so every other day until they respond.

You know what they say: "Squeaky wheel gets the oil." Sometimes you have to be the loudest squeaker.

Robyn:mickey:

vamaggie
08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I am amazed at how calm you remained in this situation!! I do not know if I could "let it go" as you did. I think it would have ruined my night more to know this CM was still out there with this attitude and actions. I hope I would ask for a manager and if they did not address the issue I would ask for another supervisor. I am (admittedly) a very squeaky wheel when it comes to customer service and I believe that addressing the issue when it occurs can be more effective than writing a letter later (although I do that too). I hope you get some good response from WDW--this was totally unacceptable (and possibly even criminal) and this CM should definately not be working with the public!!

GreenBeetle
08-28-2007, 09:16 AM
I just called the number provided and it did go to a confidential voice mail box. I left a detailed message to include my disappointment in receiving a combined automated response. I also referenced the advice I have received from Intercot. We will see if I receive a phone call back.

Good for you! Keep us posted.

Momof2boys
08-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Wow, I don't think I would have been able to contain myself. That is absolutely atrocious behavior from anyone, much less a CM doing a character meet.

Keep us posted on your voicemail - I can't wait to hear if they return your call.

MinnieMommie
08-28-2007, 09:05 PM
This is the first time I am reading your post. What happened to you is totally uncool and totally unacceptable. No one has the right to put their hands on another person. Isn't that what we teach our children?

You are doing a wonderful job of following up with Disney administration. They need to hear what you have to say and to follow up with the CM and then get back to you and make sure you understand how it was resolved. Please remain patient and polite when you talk with them about this. You must feel frustrated and bewildered not only that the incident happened but also that you have not been able to satisfactorally seek resolution.

You are doing a great job. Please keep us posted. :mickey:

cal5755
08-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I just can not believe that happened!! I have never had a negative experience with a cast member and have been impressed by the extras done for us! 2 years ago my dd dropped her full fountain soda on the ground and the cast member sweeping the street went in to Caseys Diner and got her a new one!! We were in awe!!

I am sorry for that happening to you and your dd!! Especially when you were spending quality time before she leaves home for college!! That is just wrong as everyone has stated!! I can tell you though if it were my husband he would probably been thrown out of the park because there is no way he would have kept calm....not if some cast member grabbed my dd arm..nevermind the pushing. I commend you for you patience and self control!! I do hope you hear more back from them!!

dixielandings
08-30-2007, 10:07 AM

Well spoken. I saw a guy last weekend in Guest Services at Epcot making the HUGEST scene, wasting a bunch of energy, complaining about some parking attendant he was displeased with. I don't know what happened, but unless the attendant keyed his car or harmed his family in some way (which he didn't) there was no call for the extreme rudeness. IMO, the worst thing a person could do (and I see it often) is to make an additional scene. What is that teaching kids? Whoever shouts the loudest wins? I respect you for putting your family's enjoyment ahead of your temper - and we all agree, we would all have been mad. I hope this situation is resolved and that this CM is "no longer with the Company".

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Disney World or not God help the person who would lay a hand on my Wife or Daughter that way. I would have drug that gal over to the manager by her ear! If he didn't react I would have found someone who would, this is absolutely uncalled for and she should be terminated for this behavior. Now that its over write your letter and protect other unsuspecting vacationers from a repeat offense. Best of luck on your endeavor.