PDA

View Full Version : Balfour Beatty Article

jonled1
08-15-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't want to start a rumor, but I came across an article today that sparked my curiosity. It's an article concerning the financial performance on the UK construction company Balfour Beatty and it made a reference that they are planning to do work for Disney. I can't post the link but I have included the portion of the article in question:

"The company (Balfour Beatty) said on Wednesday that its U.S. order book got a $730 million boost from new projects including a Walt Disney theme park extension, a Bank of America office construction and a reconfiguration of a Ritz-Carlton Hotel. Balfour Beatty expects American operations to account for 23% of total sales going forward."

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding the line "Walt Disney theme park extension." The wording implies that Disney plans to extend or expand one of their US theme parks, but this may not be the case.

tadshome
08-15-2007, 05:46 PM
I saw this in the financial news in the UK today

"In the private sector, it has also been awarded major contracts by Disney
Corporation and Bank of America. For Disney, it will build a $160 million
extension of Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Florida, comprising a new 340-unit,
five-storey resort hotel with a full range of amenities, and convert the
existing Animal Kingdom facility into 110 units. "

Hope that this helps :thumbsup:

jonled1
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info, tadshome. I really didn't know how to interpret the word "extension" and the article I saw didn't provide any details.

Mufasa
08-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Balfour Beatty had purchased Centex Construction and it was their Orlando subsidiary Centex-Rooney which served as the general contractors on the original construction of the Animal Kingdom lodge.

They're just one of the various contractors that we'll use in construction projects- at WDW they also worked on Cinderella Castle, the Land pavillion at Epcot and the Grand Floridian I believe.

In this case they're working on the conversion of a portion of the existing hotel rooms and the addition of the DVC properties to the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

tadshome
08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info, tadshome. I really didn't know how to interpret the word "extension" and the article I saw didn't provide any details.

Hi jonled1

Further into the article it mentions the extension to Animal Kingdom vacation homes. Not sure what they are but hopefully someone else may know?

jonled1
08-16-2007, 09:36 AM
tadshome,
This is referring to the DVC units(Disney's version of timeshares) that have already started selling. I think there are other posts thoughout Intercot talking about this expansion.