PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing & banking

princessjojo
08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
:help:Initially, we had planned our big, big vacation for June of 2008. We banked this years points since we wouldn't be going with the intentions of using them when our vacation time rolled around. Due to an unplanned changed, we had to change our vacation from June to Easter, costing us more points than the initial vacation. That was fine, we would just borrow from the next year to cover it. NOW those unplanned changes have again, unexpectedly changed back to their original state, and Easter is no longer going to work for us.

Now to my question. We are AGAIN going to change the vacation back to June which will use the lesser of the points. But I borrowed from the next year and those can't be returned to that use year. This is where it gets tricky. My use year is December so I won't get 2008 points until Dec 2008 if I understand this correctly. Can I use the 2008 points that I borrow and bank any of the 2007 use year's points to use the next year. I've tried to extend the vacation, but it's already at 10 nights and the cost of the tickets and food is surpassing my alloted amount. We are thinking of planning another short trip later next year, but don't know yet if it will work. I hate to lose the points and it would make it easier to go ahead and purchase airline tickets on SW knowing that if a cheaper flight were to come along, I could pick that up, ask for the credit "voucher" and use them later for the next trip.

Does this make any sense at all. I hate to even change the dates again. I know they'll wonder what is she doing? Has anyone ever had to do this before at all. :confused:I am so confused. :scratch:

Horizon93
08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I guess the question would be can you bank some 2007 points to 2008. I would think that you can. Looking in the member handbook, it says that borrowing is final, and that you can't bank borrowed points. I am sure someone else will chime in, but I would recommend talking with member services.

Maleficent's Dad
08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
We are AGAIN going to change the vacation back to June which will use the lesser of the points. But I borrowed from the next year and those can't be returned to that use year. This is where it gets tricky. My use year is December so I won't get 2008 points until Dec 2008 if I understand this correctly. Can I use the 2008 points that I borrow and bank any of the 2007 use year's points to use the next year. I've tried to extend the vacation, but it's already at 10 nights and the cost of the tickets and food is surpassing my alloted amount. We are thinking of planning another short trip later next year, but don't know yet if it will work. I hate to lose the points and it would make it easier to go ahead and purchase airline tickets on SW knowing that if a cheaper flight were to come along, I could pick that up, ask for the credit "voucher" and use them later for the next trip.
Okay, I think I can answer your question - but don't promise it! ;)

You'll be fine! :thumbsup:

You can continue with your trip for June 2008 using the "borrowed points." You can then bank the 2007 points (the sooner the better) assuming your banking "deadline" hasn't already passed.

If your Use Year is indeed December, you may be in trouble... :( Sorry to tell you this, but your banking deadline (for at least 100%) has passed. You can still bank half, if my calculations are correct.

I agree with Ed above: Call MS - explain that you want to go back to June and BANK this year's points. They'll give you the specifics.

Good luck! :mickey:

CarolMN
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
:help:Initially, we had planned our big, big vacation for June of 2008. We banked this years points since we wouldn't be going with the intentions of using them when our vacation time rolled around. Due to an unplanned changed, we had to change our vacation from June to Easter, costing us more points than the initial vacation. That was fine, we would just borrow from the next year to cover it. NOW those unplanned changes have again, unexpectedly changed back to their original state, and Easter is no longer going to work for us.

Now to my question. We are AGAIN going to change the vacation back to June which will use the lesser of the points. But I borrowed from the next year and those can't be returned to that use year. This is where it gets tricky. My use year is December so I won't get 2008 points until Dec 2008 if I understand this correctly. Can I use the 2008 points that I borrow and bank any of the 2007 use year's points to use the next year. I've tried to extend the vacation, but it's already at 10 nights and the cost of the tickets and food is surpassing my alloted amount. We are thinking of planning another short trip later next year, but don't know yet if it will work. I hate to lose the points and it would make it easier to go ahead and purchase airline tickets on SW knowing that if a cheaper flight were to come along, I could pick that up, ask for the credit "voucher" and use them later for the next trip.

Does this make any sense at all. I hate to even change the dates again. I know they'll wonder what is she doing? Has anyone ever had to do this before at all. :confused:I am so confused. :scratch:

If my assumptions are correct, then the answer is yes, you can bank the 2007 points.

Your use year is December. Your planned vacation was June 2008. A june 2008 vacation falls within your 2007 use year (12/1/2007 - 11/30/2008).

When you say you banked "this year's points", I assume you meant your 2006 use year points which originally were valid for trips between 12/1/2006 and 11/30/2007. So for the June 2008 trip, you used the banked points (from 2006) plus points from your 2007 use year.

Then you cancelled that vacation and booked an Easter 2008 trip instead. That required you to borrow some points from your 2008 use year (12/1/2008 -11/30/2009). You could do that because your Easter 2008 vacation also fell within your 2007 use year and you can borrow one use year ahead.

Then you cancelled the Easter 2008 vacation. That means you had banked, borrowed and current use year points returned to your account. The banked (from your 2006 use year) and borrowed points (from your 2008 use year) expire at the end of your 2007 use year (11/30/2008) if you do not use them before then.

Now you plan to re book the June 2008 trip. Make sure MS uses the banked and borrowed points for that reservation before dipping into your 2007 use year points. Ask for a status of your points right agfter the reservation is made. Fix anything that doesn't match your expectations before you hang up.

The 100% banking deadline for the December 2007 use year points is May 31, 2008. As long as you call to bank those points on or before 5/31/2008, you can bank all of your 2007 use year points if that is what you want to do. Note that MS will not allow to bank any 2007 use year points until your 2007 use year begins - 12/1/2007.

SO! If all of my assumptions are correct, you can bank any or all of the "extra" 2007 points. HTH.

princessjojo
08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
CarolMN, Thank you. You totally got it with all of it's confusions. It gets really crazy when your use year falls at the end of the year. But you were able to answer my questions completely.

Now, the hard part is just making sure I can nail down a firm date for June that does not involve a weekend I am committed to(without knowing the date yet) and hoping the boys don't have summer school.

I guess I should just be thankful I have the opportunity to go and worry less about the the time frame. If all else fails, we'll just bear the heat and go in July instead (ugh!!)