PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame New York Yankees Shortstop and Broadcaster Phil Rizzuto Dead at 89

GothMickey
08-14-2007, 11:34 AM
From Foxnews.com:

Hall of Fame New York Yankees Shortstop and Broadcaster Phil Rizzuto Dead at 89

Tuesday , August 14, 2007

DEVELOPING STORY: Hall of Fame New York Yankee shortstop and broadcaster Phil Rizzuto has died. He was 89 and had been ill for more than a year.
Rizzuto was one of the most influential and well-known figures in Yankees history.
He played shortstop for the Bombers for 11 full seasons in a career interrupted by service in World War II. In 1950, he was named Most Valuable Player in the American League. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1994 and was the oldest living member of the Hall. Later he became a broadcaster for the team, holding that position for four decades.

Hammer
08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Rizzuto, Yankee Hall of Famer, dies at age 89

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Phil Rizzuto, the Hall of Fame shortstop who went on to fame for his unique broadcasting style, died late Monday night. He was 89.

His death was confirmed by the Yankees. Rizzuto had been in declining health for several years and was living at a nursing home in West Orange, N.J.

Rizzuto, nicknamed "The Scooter," was the oldest living member of the Baseball Hall of Fame prior to his death. He was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1994 by the Veterans Committee.

Rizzuto, noted as one of the best defensive shortstops in the history of the game, was the American League Most Valuable Player in 1950 and played in five All-Star games. In his MVP season, Rizzuto hit .324 and scored 125 runs.

He played for the New York Yankees from 1941 to 1956 (missing three years because of World War II, when he was in the U.S. Navy). The Yankees won seven World Series titles during Rizzuto's career.

Rizzuto's lifetime batting average was .273. He was second to Boston's Ted Williams in the 1949 MVP balloting.

He went on to be a Yankees broadcaster for more than 40 seasons. His unique style was accented with his famous phrase, "Holy Cow!" when a great play was made.

Rizzuto was on the call when Roger Maris hit his 61st career home run to eclipse the single-season home run record previously held by Babe Ruth.

Rizzuto was a flashy, diminutive player who could always be counted on for a perfect bunt, a nice slide or a diving catch in a lineup better known for its cornerstone sluggers. He played alongside the likes of Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.

He stood just 5-foot-6 but was equipped with a productive bat, sure hands and quick feet that earned him his nickname. A leadoff man, Rizzuto was a superb bunter, used to good advantage by the Yankee teams that won 11 pennants and nine World Series between 1941 and 1956.

Rizzuto tried out with the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants when he was 16, but because of his size was dismissed by Dodgers manager Casey Stengel, who told him to "Go get a shoeshine box." He went on to become one of Stengel's most dependable players.

A Rizzuto bunt, a steal and a DiMaggio hit made up the scoring trademark of the Yankees' golden era, and he played errorless ball in 21 consecutive World Series games. DiMaggio said the shortstop "held the team together."

Rizzuto came to the Yankees in 1941 and batted .307 as a rookie. After his stint in the Navy, he returned in 1946 and four years later became the American League MVP. He batted .324 that season with a slugging percentage of .439 and 200 hits, second most in the league. He also went 58 games without an error, making 288 straight plays.

He led all AL shortstops in double plays three times and had a career batting average of .273 with at least a .930 fielding percentage.

After the Yankees released him in 1956, Rizzuto began a second career as a broadcaster, one for which he became at least equally well known.

In his decades on the radio and TV, Rizzuto's favorite phrase was "Holy cow!" It became so common, the team presented him with a cow wearing a halo when they held a day in his honor in 1985. The cow knocked Rizzuto over and, of course, he shouted, "Holy cow!"

"That thing really hurt," he said. "That big thing stepped right on my shoe and pushed me backwards, like a karate move."

Yankee fans also loved his unusual commentary. In an age of broadcasters who spout statistics and repeat the obvious, Rizzuto delighted in talking about things like his fear of lightning, the style of an umpire's shoes or even the prospect of outfielder Dave Winfield as a candidate for president.

He liked to acknowledge birthdays and anniversaries, read notes from fans, praised the baked delicacies at his favorite restaurant and send messages to old cronies. And if he missed a play, he would scribble "ww" in his scorecard box score. That, he said, meant "wasn't watching."

Despite his qualifications, Rizzuto was passed over for the Hall of Fame 15 times by the writers and 11 times by the old-timers committee. Finally, a persuasive speech by Ted Williams pushed Rizzuto into Cooperstown in 1994.

Williams, a member of the committee, argued that Rizzuto was the man who made the difference between the Yankees and his Red Sox. He was fond of saying, "If we'd had Rizzuto in Boston, we'd have won all those pennants instead of New York."

As in his playing days, Rizzuto was overshadowed by the headliners, teammates like DiMaggio, Mantle, Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra. All of them reached the Hall of Fame before he did.

"I never thought I deserved to be in the Hall of Fame," Rizzuto would say. "The Hall of Fame is for the big guys, pitchers with 100 mph fastballs and hitters who sock homers and drive in a lot of runs. That's the way it always has been and the way it should be."

Old-timers still talk about his suicide squeeze in the ninth inning during the 1951 pennant race to score DiMaggio, beating Cleveland 2-1 and putting the Yankees in first place for the rest of the season.

Rizzuto remembers Aug. 25, 1956, as a day he thought was the "end of the world," the day Stengel released him to make room for clutch-hitting Enos Slaughter in the pennant drive.

"It was Old-Timers Day, and I was out taking pictures, as I did every year," Rizzuto remembered. "The bat boy came over and told me that Casey Stengel and George Weiss wanted to see me in Stengel's office. It was the last day to add a player to the roster and have him eligible for the World Series. We were trading for Enos Slaughter because Stengel said we needed another outfielder, so we had to send someone down to make room on the roster.

"They asked me to read through the list of players and to check each player's eligibility, to see who we could let go," he said. "I sat there thinking that I was a veteran and they wanted my opinion. As we read through the list I pointed out a few players who I thought could be sent down, a pitcher we had hardly used and a catcher who had been in only nine games. But each time they said, 'No, we might need him.' We started to go through the list a second time, and then half way through it dawned on me."

"The Scooter" was done.

Rizzuto is survived by his wife, the former Cora Anne Esselborn, whom he married in 1943; daughters Cindy Rizzuto, Patricia Rizzuto and Penny Rizzuto Yetto; son Phil Rizzuto Jr.; and two granddaughters.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

JPL
08-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Truly a very sad day for Baseball :cry:

I had the privelage of meeting him a few years back and he was a great guy. He really enjoyed talking to the fans which is a rarity these days. he was one of a kind.

Goodbye Scooter you will be missed :cry:

Red Randal
08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Good-bye Scooter. You were one of the all time greats and one of my all time favorites. You will be missed.

:(

DizneyFreak2002
08-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I met him when I was a child... He did an autograph signing here in Bayonne, at a store called Foxes.... He was signing autographs along with Ron Guidry and Don Mattingly.... I had the three of them autograph a baseball my grandfather caught at a Baltimore Orioles game... I still have the ball to this day.... Phil, you will be missed... HOLY COW will live forever in the hearts of all Yankee fans....

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM

I watched the interviews and memorial before the start of the game tonight. I like the tribute of his number 10, on the uniforms.

mdearmas
08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
:bball:Phil as a non yankee fan even I have to admit that you were a class act! I took my first trip to the hall of fame and enjoyed seeing your plaque and everything that you did to make the history of baseball a rich one! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and may you find comfort in the great shortstop in the sky!

#10 forever
:goofy:

DisneyGiant
08-14-2007, 11:02 PM

I watched the interviews and memorial before the start of the game tonight. I like the tribute of his number 10, on the uniforms.

Me too - it was a really nice tribute.

I particularly enjoyed Yogi sharing his memories about Scooter. They were very close.