PDA

View Full Version : Just got back

MartyS
08-14-2007, 08:51 AM
But didn't ride a single ride. My DD22, a senior at Hardin Simmons Univ. in Abilene, Texas, ready for a little break, was accepted in the Disney College Program. So, I helped her drive out there (I'm an over protective Dad,maybe, but I couldn't see her driving 18 + hours solo). We left Friday night from just west of Dallas to avoid major traffic, driving straight through to near Clearwater, Fla., to SIL's place to crash (Really grueling drive) arrived late in day Sat. Rested up Sunday, went to Clearwater beach for a little while, Tampa Bay area is real nice. Early Monday am, got up and drove to Lake Buena Vista to check in / orientation at Vista Way apts, located across I-4 from Downtown Disney. Took her down to WalMart to get some stuff and were still among the first to arrive to register. They had a day care center - tent set up for us parents with a movie(Pirates 1) and snacks - even gave us a tour of the place, while our kids were going from station to station through the process. I offered to go on to the next station for a FP, my DD didn't think it was all that funny, suggested I might go on to the Parent's tent. Had to remind her part of my job included embarrassing her whenever possible. We got her moved in to Chatham Square apts. where she has 5 room mates. Real nice apts. with security guards at gate- LOVE THAT. today, she becomes official CP er uh, CM or whatever, she finds out where she will be working. Meanwhile good old Dad spent most of Monday, from noon on, trying to get a flight back to DFW. NEVER will attempt standby non rev travel from MCO ever again. Spent several hours getting bumped off of AA flights, got a Delta flt to ATL, thinking it would be easier to get home from there - wrong-o. finally got LAST flt out on Air Tran. Long weekend, not much rest, DD totally worth it, SO glad to be back in Sweet Mother Texas!

January-2007
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
How exciting for your daughter! That's so funny about the day care for the parents... Sounds like a fun weekend! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Beast_fanatic
08-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Congrats to your daughter!

And, you sound like a very good dad. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
With her working for WDW you now have a handy excuse to go anytime! Good luck to her.