PDA

View Full Version : Driving to the park vs. bus

Mary Chase
08-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Ok- I have never driven to any of the parks except MK. And I know what a pain that can be due to having to park and then take the monorail/ferry over to the gate. What is parking like at the other parks - AK, Epcot and MGM? It seemed like I saw the parking lots right at the entrance - although I'm sure I'd have to park pretty far away. I am considering switching my reservations to a resort with a not so great bus system, and I wanted to know if it's really horrible to have to park in the lot at the other parks - it didn't look like it would be too bad. Any thoughts? We'll have a rental car no matter what - so that's not an issue.

jonah'smom
08-14-2007, 08:19 AM
We always have our own car, and even if we stay on property, we usually choose to drive our own car anyway unless we are going to MK, and that's only because the Disney buses let you out already at the gate. All the other parks have close lots, and sufficient tram service. The only time we choose to drive to MK is for EMH nights. That way, we don't have to wait with all the other resort guests at the end of the night, cause our car is in the lot. We are much more comfortable in our own car than standing on a Disney bus holding a sleeping 7 year old! Good luck with your transportation, and have a great time at the World!

DisneyTwinsMommy
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
We also drive to all of the parks (except MK, however we have done it)... The parking is quite convienent, and the trams run back to back... In my life, the bus means my husband loading on the double stroller and the diaper bag while standing and not letting anything fall while I hold two sleeping infants and hope someone will let me sit down so we dont all go flying... yikes! I will drive...

Goofeygal
08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
We always take the bus to MK because they let you off at the gate enterence. If you drive you have to park at the Ticket and transportation center and take the monorail or boat to MK.

mttafire
08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
We always drive our own vehicle to ALL the parks. It's just IMHO, EASIER. PLUS,We all enjoy riding the monorail to the M.K. It just seems right!:mickey:

MsMin
08-14-2007, 09:39 AM
I only take the car to DTD, most times we go to Character Premiere @ the outlet mall when out there. (this year @ Saratoga will be different).
I choose to take the bus esp. to EPCOT b/c I enjoy indulging in a little attitude adjustment. Those typically it's one :marg: I prefer to let someone drive. We typically stay until park closing and shop til the end so waiting at a bus is not a problem b/c we don't rush out.

King Triton
08-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Epcot is probably the easiest lot. Its pretty close, and although I think they do run trams, its almost always an easy walk unless the lot is really full.

Animal Kingdom is also pretty straightforward, although the park entrance isn't straight in front of you like it is at Epcot. I usually take the tram in, but walk it when I leave.

I find the MGM lot a little confusing, partially because the walkway out of the park goes around the tram and bus area, which can lengthen the walking distance. Again, I usually take the tram in, and observe where I am so that I can walk going out.

pdrlkr
08-14-2007, 09:49 AM
We always take the bus everywhere at WDW. It's too easy and the kids love it. And best of all it's free! Save your money to spend at WDW not getting there.

Olga
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Silly question, but do they have special tram multistops around the parking lot?

Jared
08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
We always take the bus everywhere at WDW. It's too easy and the kids love it. And best of all it's free! Save your money to spend at WDW not getting there.
Remember that parking is free for Walt Disney World hotel guests.

Since my family began staying on-site, we choose to take the buses everywhere. Part of the magic for us is not having to drive for a few days. Cars dominate our busy suburb outside of New York, so having a free chauffeur for a while is a much needed respite.

Olga, I forgot to multi-quote your post so I hope you notice my response. There are trams that stop at multiple places in the parking lot before driving to the gate. The trams also will take guests from the park to various stops along the way.

Olga
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Remember that parking is free for Walt Disney World hotel guests.

Since my family began staying on-site, we choose to take the buses everywhere. Part of the magic for us is not having to drive for a few days. Cars dominate our busy suburb outside of New York, so having a free chauffeur for a while is a much needed respite.

Olga, I forgot to multi-quote your post so I hope you notice my response. There are trams that stop at multiple places in the parking lot before driving to the gate. The trams also will take guests from the park to various stops along the way.

Noticed ;) Thank you.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
We fly, take Magical Express and never consider a rental car. ;)

Part of our vacation is not having to drive. :mickey:

Even when we drove down for a few years we took the buses to the parks. We only drove it to Sea World one day.

I guess Disney has spoiled us. :blush:

briguy
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
When you walk up to MGM from the parking lot make sure you stay or cross over to the left side of the street. This brings you to a security checkpoint where no one is in line, and does not wrap around the bus stops - much shorter. When you leave take a hard right as soon as you are past the turnstiles and pass ticket booth and same checkpoint- don't go left around bus stops- again it is much shorter.

I almost always walk from lots at all parks.

Cathy S
08-14-2007, 04:07 PM
We always have a car since we like to drive down from OH. We love the convenience of having a vehicle. We drive to the parks since we usually stay at a value resort and sometimes the walk to the bus stop after a long day at the parks is just not worth it when a relaxing tram ride can get you to your vehicle quickly. At MK there is just something special about taking the monorail or ferry into the park. I'm not saying that the buses are a problem, it is just a preference of two little old senior ladies who love WDW.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
We drive to WDW. Not crazy about flying, and with the lousy service from the airlines and all the stories on the internet ... glad to drive! Heck, with all of those multi-hour delays on top of driving to the airport and paying for parking and getting there early for "security" ... yeah, we'll drive and get there happier and faster. Of course, we always drove when I was a child so I am set in my ways. But I always loved the monorail, one of my favorite rides. My father-in-law has to take the ferry at least once. Why deprive ourselves in order to take a method of transport that we'd avoid at home? It may be WDW, but a bus is still a bus. And we have used the bus once or twice and so I don't say this w/o personal experience.

One time the monorail had a super long line at MK closing ... mostly b/c it was broke down or something ... the ferry had the other half of the MK crowd in its line. So by the time we treked to the bus stops, we were within a [jiminy] cricket's leap of the Contemporary. To me, the whole "take the bus to the MK gate" thing is exaggerated. The resort loop was running and we took it to the TTC. Luckily a few people were getting off there to make room for us - it was crowded as you can imagine. :D

disneynarula
08-15-2007, 07:34 AM
In the past I have never rented a car and always relied on WDW transport. It has always worked for me no matter what resort I am staying at. I have never had bad bus service at any of the resorts and I have stayed at all the values and moderates at some point.

That being said...

I have also stayed off site and have experience with driving to the parks as well

We are driving to the parks while staying on WDW property for the first time this year. I just don't want to deal with our stroller plus two small children on the bus.

It may take a little longer to drive to MK but I think the walking distance is not an issue. Plus if I recall correctly when the monorail drops you off you are much closer to the gate entrance then were the resort buses drop you off.

You can also push a stroller right on the monorail and the ferry.

The place where you board the trams to the parking lot is often a lot closer than the bus stop depending on what resort you are staying at. It can be quite a hike to the value resort bus stop from the exit.