PDA

View Full Version : Soarin I just don't get it.

Speedy1998
08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Can anyone one explain to me why Soarin is such a popular attraction? I Fastpassed it one time when it first opened. I found it a enjoyable ride, but not worth the 90 + minute waits that the standby line requires.

WDWfanatic742
08-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I think that it might not be enjoyable for some, but it is something different from your average ride that you can't find at every theme park in the world like most general rides.

AtoZgirl
08-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Can anyone one explain to me why Soarin is such a popular attraction? I Fastpassed it one time when it first opened. I found it a enjoyable ride, but not worth the 90 + minute waits that the standby line requires.

I think it's still in the hype phase for a lot of people... but IMHO, it's an awesome ride and we love it everytime. If I could describe it in one word , it would be - refreshing!

chrisb26
08-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I really enjoy Sorin' however not so much I would wait 90+ minutes for it. I always get the fast pass for the ride I don't think I would wait for it. Although that is true for any ride. I just can't bring myself to wait more then an hour for a ride that will be done in less then 3 minutes.

Jared
08-14-2007, 01:03 AM
No attraction is worth waiting 90 minutes. Soarin' is a unique and special attraction, but we will not ride without FASTPASS or a regular queue of shorter than 30 minutes.

We always run to Soarin' when Epcot opens at 9 a.m.

Lizzie
08-14-2007, 02:50 AM
I find that people who like Disney but not rollercoasters tend to really enjoy this ride.

Me I enjoy it but once a trip is plenty.

Doug The Disney Man`
08-14-2007, 02:52 AM
I don't like to wait for 90 minutes for any ride, even one as cool as Soarin'. But, I do like that Disney has made it that the longest waits pretty much never go over that 90 minute mark. I'm not sure how they do it, but I went to Universal not so long ago and there was a 4 hour wait for Spiderman, a 3 hour wait for Hulk and they had run out of their "FastPass clones" around 1 pm!

Unless I get to ride with Spiderman himself, and I don't mean the costume character that runs around at I of A, I mean the actual webslinger, Peter Parker in full regalia, I am not waiting for 4 hours for that ride! So, I guess I'm just saying that it could be worse, and to use FastPass wisely, which is what I do.

I also like the idea of running to these super popular rides early. We walked right on to Peter Pan this year at 9:09 am. By 11, the wait was already over 40 mins. I often wonder, as you did with Soarin', when and how this ride became such a big deal that people are willing to wait over an hour for it. I mean Soarin' is still a new ride for lots of people, but Peter Pan? Oh, well to each his own, I suppose.

Fantasmic
08-14-2007, 05:02 AM
I don't like to wait for 90 minutes for any ride, even one as cool as Soarin'. But, I do like that Disney has made it that the longest waits pretty much never go over that 90 minute mark. I'm not sure how they do it, but I went to Universal not so long ago and there was a 4 hour wait for Spiderman, a 3 hour wait for Hulk and they had run out of their "FastPass clones" around 1 pm!

4 Hours... Jeepers.

I also like the idea of running to these super popular rides early. We walked right on to Peter Pan this year at 9:09 am. By 11, the wait was already over 40 mins. I often wonder, as you did with Soarin', when and how this ride became such a big deal that people are willing to wait over an hour for it. I mean Soarin' is still a new ride for lots of people, but Peter Pan? Oh, well to each his own, I suppose.

Peter Pan ALWAYS has long lines though, it's a very popular ride in Fantasyland, I don't think it's helped by the fact it's right opposite IASW

CAS
08-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Definitely a valid point. Soarin isn't a spectacular ride but it is unique. I agree with the previous posts that half of its appeal is still hype. Otherwise it's really just a motion simulator with an Imax screen. For me I'd say 30 min tops and if I had to skip it, no big deal.

murphy1
08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
No attraction is worth waiting 90 minutes. Soarin' is a unique and special attraction, but we will not ride without FASTPASS or a regular queue of shorter than 30 minutes.

We always run to Soarin' when Epcot opens at 9 a.m.

Ditto!!

Maleficent's Dad
08-14-2007, 07:51 AM
If you read this post (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=109642), you'll get some further insight as to why Soarin' is incredibly popular.

One good point made was that Soarin' is a thrilling ride that the entire family can go on together! :mickey:

Wells
08-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Soarin' reminds me of "Back to the future", soon to be "The Simpsons", at Universal....(Great Scott !!!)

IloveJack
08-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Soarin' reminds me of "Back to the future", soon to be "The Simpsons", at Universal....(Great Scott !!!)

Really?!? How's that going to work?

And so that I'm on topic... :blush:
Dh and I loved Soarin'. We waited in line our last night until after the park was closed to ride the last ride of the night. However, even then, we didn't wait more than 40 mins. We'd FP'ed it earlier in the day, and wanted to do it again on the front row (no dangling feet in the view), so we rode during EMH.
I'd say that even more than hype, it's a ride that you can't get anywhere else. It's more than just a glorified simulator; there are smells, and wind tricks, etc. to blow your mind while you're riding. I like sim rides too, but there's something different about dangling in the air over the screen.

MsMin
08-14-2007, 09:53 AM
To me it's like a movie only you watch it on a swing and don't have a friend to push:(
I've already seen the movie too. I won't wait, I do it b/c it's cool and refreshing but nothing to write home about...

Sinewiz
08-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I think Soarin is a terrific ride but no ride is worth waiting 90 minutes for. Any time posted over 40 minutes (which will end up approx. 30-32 minutes) Disney always posts a time frame higher than what you will generally experience. (Generally around 75% of the time you will actually wait.) One of Disneys secrets which almost guarantees that you will end up "happy" when you get on in less time than you expected. Do yourself a favor and fastpass anything over a listed time of 40 minutes. :thumbsup:

burnt orange
08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I think many of us enjoy Soarin' so much because it kind of reminds us of the lost rides like "World of Motion" and "Horizons". Wonderfully themed, relaxing, and refreshing. I enjoy ToT and The Yeti too, but this is something you cannot find in any other theme park, and one of the things I like best about WDW. Bring us another like Soarin'!:party:

Speedy1998
08-14-2007, 09:03 PM

I think this is where I was going with this post, I road "Back to the Future" 13 years ago when it first opened. The only thing that I really find somewhat unique about soarin is the smells. However, there are at least 3 other Disney attractions (and the Very Merry Christmas Parade) that are using that same technology.

LoriMistress
08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I think because it's a relaxing (non-kiddie) attraction that the entire family can enjoy. That's the only thing I can think of on why Soarin' is so popular.

Gator
08-15-2007, 01:59 AM
It's a good ride, agreed? But the crowds there are crazy.It's like NY Mets fans...they go nuts for something that normal people can live without.

Darin M
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
When I hear people say Soarin is there favorite, I just dont get it. I feel the same way here, definitely not worth the 90 minute wait time or the almost as long FastPass line now.
The concept is cool but there are alot better Disney attractions out there.

NJRRK
08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
It's a good ride, agreed? But the crowds there are crazy.It's like NY Mets fans...they go nuts for something that normal people can live without.

Hey, I resemble that remark.:blush: