PDA

View Full Version : Killer heat

Marilyn Michetti
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Another tragic story out of Phoenix. The head of the Canine Unit took his dog home with him for the night. According to the news that was unusual, but he had to be somewhere early. Apparently, after he put his dog in the car the next morning, he got a call that his son had been in an accident, and forgot that his dog was in the car. The dog died, the officer is devestated - no charges filed.

This heat that's all over the country is sooooo bad this year. The elderly, children, and pets are dying. It just breaks my heart when these things happen.

If it were any cooler anywhere, I'd consider moving. I'm just praying the power doesn't go while we're at 114.:sun:

Our kids are back in school, and a majority of them walk or bike, so I should be grateful I don't have to go out much.

crazypoohbear
08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
The poor officer, I hope his son is okay.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that no one loses power in the heat.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-14-2007, 12:04 AM
:( That is so sad.

MsMin
08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Marilyn, I've been thinking about you with this heat. We got up to 105 and it lasted for several days. Today is supposed to be cooler possibly only the high 90's. AS of yesterday we had 2 neighboring communities out of power for the past 2 days :flame: Fortunately we are on the same grid as the State Police so I'm hoping we will be spared.
If we had snow I'd send you something to cool you down....

DisneyDudet
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
That is very sad.

We thought we'd be spared the heat this summer due to our high amounts of rain and cool weather the first months, but it has just hit full force.

We are to get up to 103 today, but on Sat, its supposed to be 96... time to break out the sweaters... its a cool wave!!

It was so hot here after the rain that a playground at a local school spontaneously combusted!! Apparently, the rain saturated some of the wood and caused to to decompose in the heat, and it got so dry that it just burst into flames all by itself! The school district is replacing all the other playgrounds made of the same material.

How crazy!

shan-ash
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
How Sad:(

bleukarma
08-14-2007, 02:43 PM
That's a really sad story. I bet the officer feels horrible. :(

Tinkerfreak
08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
What a sad story. We had a heat wave here in Maine a couple of weeks ago ( yes 90 degrees is considered a heat wave here) and 2 women left their dogs in the car with the car running and the AC on thinking they would be fine. Well the car stopped running and within the 45 minutes they were in the Home Depot the dogs had died. My Mom has done this a couple of times and I kept telling her to just leave the dog home and after seeing this on the news she says she will never leave her in the car with the ac on again.
By the way we are up to a high of 72 today and the pool was so cold the girls and I could not swim in it we had to just float on our floats. I will send you some of this cool air your way. I hope everyone gets some relief soon and stay safe.

MMouse6937
08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
That poor puppy, how he must have suffered. We have been in the mid to upper 90s here. I have to be real careful where I take my girls. :dog: I don't leave them in the car for a minute by themselve and I take them to the park either early in the morning or later in the evening. I feel bad because they really want to come with me wherever I go and they don't understand that it's way cooler for them to stay in the house with the air conditioning! :paw:

princessjojo
08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
How sad for the officer as their dogs often become as close to them as member of their family.

We just got a new puppy this past June and it has been so hot here since then, that we bought one of those small 12" deep plastic pools and fill it with fresh water each day for him to play in and keep cool in. We have to change the water each day at least once if not twice because it gets really dirty, but he has plenty of water to keep cool in and plenty to drink as well.

Scar
09-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Cop Charged for Leaving Police Dog in Hot Car

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Associated Press

PHOENIX — Authorities arrested a Chandler police officer Wednesday in the death of a police dog that was left in a hot patrol car for more than 12 hours.

Chandler police Sgt. Tom Lovejoy was booked into Maricopa County jail in Phoenix on a misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty after a two-week investigation into the death of 5-year-old Belgian Malinois "Bandit."

Lovejoy was released later Wednesday, said Capt. Paul Chagolla, a spokesman for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office.

"I am certain Sgt. Lovejoy has suffered greatly from leaving his police dog in a sweltering car," Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in a news release. "I do not relish the idea of compounding his sadness. However, Lovejoy must be treated like anyone else in similar circumstances."

Lovejoy said over the phone Wednesday night that he is scheduled to appear in court on the charge on Sept. 25. He said his lawyer advised him not to comment further.

"With the sheriff railing on me right now, it's kind of hard to say anything," Lovejoy said.

The sheriff's investigation showed Bandit was in Lovejoy's patrol car from about 9 a.m. to a little after 10 p.m. on Aug. 11. During that time, the investigation found that Lovejoy ran errands for his wife, napped for a short time and later ate out with his wife. Lovejoy later found the dead dog in the car.

In a statement, Chandler police Chief Sherry Kiyler said the department respects and supports the criminal justice system and its processes.

"We remain saddened by the loss of K9 Bandit," she wrote. "At this time our internal investigation is continuing and further comment by our department would be inappropriate until the completion of this process."

murphy1
09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I had to take Murphy, my beloved 7 yo Border Collie, to the vet this morning for shots, but also another issue, her itching. I knew it wasn't fleas b/c we haven't had any on her. The vet had to put her on Prednisone in addition to her Frontline. The poor girl has hot spots from our 100 plus temps last month, I'm glad August is over!!