PDA

View Full Version : High School Musical 2 [Merged Threads]

fig's disney
08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
So....with less than a week until the premire...who's excited?

tadshome
08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
My son can't wait :cool:

shan-ash
08-13-2007, 06:33 PM
My 12 year old daughter is counting down along with the Disney Channel:party:

Melanie
08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I'll admit, I can't wait! And my sons are excited too. ;)

But who knows when we will get it here. The DVD will probably be out first. :rolleyes:

princessimagineer
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I Am Sooooo Psyched!!!

godawgs
08-15-2007, 03:23 PM
We're late to the party... my daughter was only 2 when the movie first aired. We just bought the soundtrack to the first movie for her last night.

She's been invited to a party and she's so excited (but so am I - is that so wrong?) :blush:

2Epcot
08-15-2007, 06:03 PM
I'll be watching. The first one was very good, so I'm interested to see if they were able to create the same magic with the second film.

DisneyDudet
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Hm... I'm 23 and I bought the soundtrack to the new one the day it came out. I had it programmed to record (I work that night) once my guide let me program it!!!

I'll watch it as soon as I get home from work at 730 am!!!

The music is great, I don't like Vanesa or whatever her name is. I just want Zac to sing the whole time! Now that he actually gets to sing all his vocals in this movie, he sounds amazing! Loved him in Hairspray too! I'm not obsessed, I promise! I was finished with obsessing with NSYNC. All I have are the movies and music. I'm a Disney music freak anyway!

Music sounds better than the first!!!

Yeah, I have the soundtrack to the first, second, and concert, plus I have the first and concert on DVD!!

I am one sad 23 year old with NO kids who IS the kid (I live with my parents)!

kim1st
08-15-2007, 07:46 PM
My DDs (3 & 5) are both very excited.

We downloaded (the legal, paid-for way) the soundtrack this week, and my DH even bought them the Gabriella & Sharpay dolls...

It'll be a nice family night for us - we'll let the kids stay up late & eat popcorn.

Of course - I'm just as excited as they are...:blush:

murphy1
08-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I have three very excited girls here at my house, too! My 8 yo has some mini posters, my mom bought her Troy and Gab and I bought my 6 yo Sharpay, but the Sharpay doll is getting on my nerves with all her sayings!!! We have been watching all the movies that are leading up to it, too. She wanted to be Sharpay or Gab. at MNSSHP but I convinced her on Wendy from PP.

princessjojo
08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Hello, my name is Amy, and I am an addict. I love High School Musical and can't wait until the 2nd comes out Friday. I am so sad. To be 30something and looking forward to this...my 10yo neice is coming over to watch with me. My boys are closet watchers, because they think their friends won't think they're cool if they watch or that it's a girl thing. Oh well, I know what they're watching on television and I know where they are. It's good, clean, family entertainment that we can watch together.

I am sooooo excited...

RedSoxFan
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
My DD Kourtney is very excited. She has a countdown thing in her room. I bought her the CD on Tuesday so she's been singing to the songs. She is going to a HSM sleepover party on Friday. I'll tivo it and watch with her over the weekend -- and I'm looking forward to it too.

Ariel_Fan
08-16-2007, 02:25 PM
We've been counting down. I just bought my daughter some HSM2 stuff @ Wal-Mart for her to wear (necklace, etc with Troy on it). Every time she hears a song sung by a man, she thinks its Troy. She thinks he is hunky.

SLEEPY1027
08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Both my husband and I can't wait! They are all such talented actors and singers.

By the way, I think the Disney Channel is broadcasting HSM 1 tonight.

Also, the soundtrack was released this week and Walmart released a special edition 2 disk set. 1 disk is the music cd and the other is a DVD of previews and interviews.

:mickey: Diane (Sleepy1027):mickey:

yasmina
08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Anyone else's kids so excited about HSM2 that they can barely eat, dream about it, and absolutely can't wait until tonight???

DD11 has an HSM2 sleepover tonight. DD9 has a back-to-school sleepover tonight, but wants to wait to go AFTER HSM2. The family she's going to does not have Disney channel :secret: - and she refuses to miss the premiere. All the other kids going are happy to miss it, then watch it some other time this weekend.

jsdt
08-17-2007, 11:57 AM
My daughter keeps on giving me a hard time that I'm going to miss it. She has big plans to watch it tonight, but I have to go to a wedding for one of my cousins - they she would understand if I missed it because of the premier?

WDWFREAK101
08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
My daughter keeps on giving me a hard time that I'm going to miss it. She has big plans to watch it tonight, but I have to go to a wedding for one of my cousins - they she would understand if I missed it because of the premier?

I think you should go to it. HSM2 will be on all weekend at 8:00 P.M. A wedding is a once in a lifetime opprotunity. HSM2 is a movie that you can see over and over again. Record the movie if you need to. Tivo it, watch it tomorrow, watch it sunday, or wait untill it comes out on DVD. I think you should go to the wedding.

fig's disney
08-17-2007, 11:04 PM
just finished watching it.......their voices have matured as well as the entire movie......i enjoyed it.....alot!:number1:

citizensnoopy
08-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Really want to see this!!

2Epcot
08-18-2007, 01:44 AM
My wife and I just finished watching High School Musical 2 tonight. My wife thought it was pretty good. I really wanted to like this as much as the first one but I didn't. I love the first High School Musical and thought it was exceptionally well done, from the music, songs and production.

Watching High School Musical 2 I just felt they were trying to hard. The production was top notch. The choreography, staging and directing was fantastic, Kenny Ortega is great, but the story was very weak, and not even believable. At least in the first movie they try to have some kind of realistic storyline to bridge the songs. I didn't find that at all in Musical 2.

I think Ashely Tisdale will love the 2nd film, she had a much bigger part then the first one. For me, too much Ashley, not enough Vanessa. There were a couple of songs I liked, but overall didn't find the songs nearly as good as the first film. It will be interesting to see how well the CD does ... it has to do well, to match the sells of the first CD. I'm sure the ratings were great tonight, but also wonder if the repeat viewing will equal the first one.... I'm guessing it will, the movie is geared to much younger then me and my wife, and I still can't figure out why some of the Disney shows are as popular as they are anyway. I guess there are already talks about High School Musical 3, so as long as Disney is making money, I'm sure there will be more to come.

The first film I would have given an "A+" ... High School Musical 2 only gets "C" from me.

Blue Genie
08-18-2007, 05:16 AM
I agree I think the first one was alot better then the second. I hope they do not make a third one. 2 is enongh. The only song I Really like was the one were Vanessa was singing when she was leaving the club. It was so beautful.

Jared
08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I watched "High School Musical 2" last night and was pretty disappointed.

After watching the movie, I realized that none of the songs made an impression. "High School Musical" thrived on its large, catchy ensemble numbers like "Bop to the Top" and "We're All In This Together." The sequel relied on so many solos and duets performed by mediocre singers.

I know everybody loves Zac Efron, but there is a reason why the director chose Andrew Seeley to bolster his voice in the first film. He simply could not handle the role alone. Troy's big number on the golf course was absolutely ridiculous, not fitting the established "High School Musical" mold.

I like Ashley Tisdale and liked seeing Sharpay in a larger role. She's more entertaining than Gabriella.

"High School Musical 2" departed from the formula that turned a silly television movie into a phenomenon. The children who loved the original loved the infectuous tunes and huge dance numbers. "High School Musical 2" has neither, except for "What Time is It?," a song played on Disney Channel commercials for months.

Disney is already in talks with the entire cast for a "High School Musical 3" for theaters. I'd like to see the East High gang one more time before deciding if "High School Musical" is a quick firework or a franchise worth remembering.

ASweetLov
08-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I watched it last night and I liked it. The music style was different than the first one but it was good. I absolutely loved that song "I Don't Dance" (I think that was the name of it)

Baloo Da Man!
08-18-2007, 02:13 PM
As I type, it is the Saturday after the grand premier of HSM2. DW is upstairs watching HSM1 while working out and folding laundry. DD8 and DS6 are downstairs listening to the soundtrack for HSM2 and choreographing their own dances, the words having been memorized long ago. (DS10 is chasing the cat, HSM is not his thing.) HSM2 was a big hit in our house, we are being saturated right now.

DW likes HSM1 better. She liked the songs better in 1 and liked that the actors were "cuter" & younger in 1. Troy does look like some of the college grads at my office. DD8 loved it. DS6 was too tired to opine either way.

I thought the production, song writing and dancing were better in 2. As for the story line, well, I don't know if I have seen a musical that isn't somewhat weak there (Les Mis doesn't count, it was literature first). But who cares, we had a great time with the hype and anticipation and watching while munching on a fresh cookie cake.

We'll probably watch it again tonight, and the next night, ad nauseum, ad infinitim ...

PS, loved the count down ticker in Disney Channel, nice touch, very Disney.

murphy1
08-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I felt like I was watching the teenage version of It's a Small World at the end when the whole group was singing and they were wearing white.

My dd's have the HSM barbies my fight scene with the dolls was much better than the one they did (the one between S and G) DH thought it was funny anyway.

fig's disney
08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
WOW:blush:

by:Nellie Andreeva
Disney Channel's highly anticipated "High School Musical 2" sang and danced its way to history Friday night when 17.24 million viewers tuned in, making the original movie's debut the most-watched basic cable telecast of all time.

"Musical 2," a sequel to the successful 2006 telefilm, surpassed the previous record holder, ESPN's "Monday Night Football" game on Sept. 23, 2006, which averaged 16 million viewers.

It also shattered the previous basic cable record for an entertainment program, surpassing the 12.5 million viewers who saw the 2001 premiere of the TNT Western "Crossfire Trail."

"For months we've been asking kids 'What time is it?' and it's exciting to finally get the answer ... it's time for record-breaking ratings," said Anne Sweeney, co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of Disney-ABC Television Group. "The entire team at Disney Channel, including Rich Ross, Gary Marsh and Michael Healy, deserve all the credit for helping to make television history."

Overall, "Musical 2" was the most watched program on television since the season finale of Fox's hit drama "House" on May 29 logged 17.26 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Additionally, "Musical 2" ranked as the most-watched TV telecast ever in kids 6-11 (6.1 million) as well as the most-watched entertainment telecast ever (and the second-highest-rated overall, behind only the 2004 Super Bowl) among tweens 9-14 (5.9 million).

The numbers, which include an eye-popping 9.4 million cable homes, would be even higher if the fact that many kids and parents nationwide gathered to watch at viewing parties was taken into account.

"Breaking the viewership record is terrific, but records come and go, and what's really important is the impact the 'High School Musical' movies have had on kids all over America and all over the world," said Marsh, Disney Channel Worldwide entertainment president. "These movies have empowered kids to express themselves in whole new ways and have changed their lives forever."

"Musical 2" also dwarfed the broadcast competition to become the most-watched Friday telecast in more than five years. It drew as many viewers as the Big Four broadcast networks combined and led Disney Channel to its second Friday win in the entire Nielsen universe after the cable channel's victory from 8-9:30 p.m. on July 19.

"Musical 2" had emerged as the TV event of the summer for preteen girls, who for weeks were planning parties tied to the premiere. As a precursor to the records to come, an encore telecast of the original "High School Musical" on Thursday drew 6 million viewers, an astounding 78% of the 7.7 million who watched the premiere of the film in 2006 and good enough for third place overall on the night behind only Fox and CBS.

In a sign of the franchise's meteoric rise from cable telefilm to cultural phenomenon, the second installment's marketing campaign included a giant billboard ad on Sunset Boulevard, a spot normally reserved for blockbuster features like "Pirates of the Caribbean."

The huge viewer turnout for "Musical 2" provided solid sampling for the special 15-minute preview of the upcoming Disney Channel animated series "Phineas and Ferb," which drew 10.8 million total viewers and 4.2 million kids 6-11, Disney Channel's second-largest audiences in both categories behind "Musical 2."

It was followed by a new episode of the hit series "Hannah Montana," which posted the largest numbers ever for a series telecast on basic cable in total viewers (10.7 million), kids 6-11 (4.2 million) and tweens 9-14 (4.1 million).

Since the first "Musical" movie premiered, it has become a global phenomenon and a lucrative franchise for the Walt Disney Co., spawning successful DVDs, CDs, games, live performances and lines of clothing and merchandise. "Musical"-related consumer products alone are expected to bring in $650 million in sales in fiscal-year 2008. A "Musical 3" feature is in the works at Walt Disney Pictures for release next year.

Although Disney Channel is handing over the "Musical" franchise to the company's feature division for the third movie, "there will be a lot of ways to keep it alive in the hearts and the minds of our young viewers for years to come," Marsh said.

In addition to reruns of the two movies and replays of the music videos spawned from them, Disney Channel soon will premiere "High School Musical: The Music In You," a musical-documentary from Oscar-winning filmmaker Barbara Kopple that chronicles the efforts of students in Fort Worth, Texas, to produce a "Musical" stage adaptation.

after watching it for a second time i've come to a few conclusions:
1)Disney is going to beg and plead with the actors to sign on for a big screen version (because they know if the try to pull it off with a new cast it would fall on its face ie Grease 2)
2)This movie wasn't perfect by far, i didn't feel some parts were rushed, but some character developement was lost in the expedited filming. But still considering it is a made for tv gives it a little excuse.
3)This movie tried a different type of song style (more radio friendly), that doesn't truly fit with most musicals; but for the projected audience it was fine (listen to them again, they grow on you)
4)I would love to see this wrapped up in a big senior year finale on the big screen, it could be sucessfully done with more time, money (seeing how this cost a mere $7million compared to POTC), longer run time (allowing for a better script), and most importantly music that has the same staying power as the first one and movies like Grease (think Summer Nights, We Go Together)....but time shall tell....(hopefully they'll do it before Monique is 30 though)...

Thanks for listening (sorry for the length and feel free to disagree)

offwego
08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
I liked it. I agree the number of solo's duets were perhaps overdone but I did like the plot line and the overall message was still age appropriate.

I really love the fact my DS can watch something like this and get some positive messages without it being too preachy!

DisneyDudet
08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I liked it.

I'm a musical buff. I found somethings that didn't work too well. Troy (Zac) looked into the camera too much when he was dancing. Its hard to picture them in their own 'musical world' when he does that.

I LOVE Sharpay! I loved her since the first one. Her character is great. I've always thought Ryan (Lucas Grabeel) had the best sining voice, and I still do believe it.

Zac's voice for the first one was mostly used with Drew Seeley, but I heard it was because the tone and pitch didn't fit. I think it did this time, he sounds much older, and I do love his voice. He sang wonderfully in Hairspray. I don't like Gabriella. I don't like her voice, and I'm not so sure Vanessa is a good actor. She has her moments, like when she was leaving Troy.

I think it was good. It grew with the audience. I can't wait for a third!

Christine
08-20-2007, 06:12 PM
I personally didn't care for it at all. The musical parts seemed more like music videos...especially when they looked straight into the camera numerous times. And instead of "songs" it seemed like they were just talking to music unlike the first one.

The audio dubbing (speaking and song) was noticeably "off" on ocassion, which even my seven year old caught and wondered how they did that!

The overacting was unbelievable! Sharpay was WAY overdone (it actually made me long for London from Suite Life of Zach and Cody :ack:) There were parts where I actually took myself out of the movie and had to think, "I can't believe they didn't reshoot this or edit that?"

If Gabriella giggled just ONE more time I thought I'd scream! She giggled in the pool, she giggled riding in a golf cart, she giggled walking down the sidewalk...UGH! Too cutesy!

and Jared, I completely agree...Troy's little golf course number was bizarre and uncomfortable to watch. :confused: I kept waiting for him to sing "Beat it" by Michael Jackson!

All in all, I found this to be just like Grease 2. Not nearly as good as the first and a bit disappointed by the hype.

And while it sounds like I'm being WAY too harsh, let me also add this...I can't imagine how hard of a task it would be to try to reproduce the same success of HSM 1. So to even throw this thing together was something.

Melanie
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
All in all, I found this to be just like Grease 2. Not nearly as good as the first and a bit disappointed by the hype.

Hey now. I like 'Grease 2'. :D

Christine
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey now. I like 'Grease 2'. :D

Oh Mel! The number in the bomb shelter? The way they can't recognize Michael as the mystery rider b/c he has goggles on? P.U.!

But that's okay...everyone gets one! Mine is Xanadu! :secret: :D

LauraleeH
08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
My mom actually liked Grease 2 better than the original, and I guess it runs in the family, because I actually like High School Musical 2! I'm sorry, I couldn't stand the original. But I really would like to see the third in theaters (Rumors are, it will be called Haunted High School Musical and it will come out in the fall...now that sounds good to me!!) so I guess we will just see ;)

ASweetLov
08-21-2007, 10:20 PM
I liked the movie. I thought it had a pretty good plot. My favorite song is I Don't Dance:thumbsup:

godawgs
08-22-2007, 08:36 AM
cantgetenuff,

Mind if I join the Xanadu train along with you?

Gosh, I loved the movie!

Melanie
08-22-2007, 08:53 AM
The number in the bomb shelter?

Let's Do It For Our Country! :flag: Classic cinema. hahahahaha! Seriously cooooooorny stuff. I normally took a bathroom break during that scene.

That said, I so wanted a cool rider that looked just like Michael Carrington. And every time we go bowling, I can't help but belt out a line from Score Tonight. So let's all Rock-A-Hula Luau (luau, luau, luau). :lei: :funny:

Not sure why, but I'm guessing I've seen G2 over 50 times, and the original less than 10. Like you said, we've all got our one. :D

Man, one of these years we'll get to see HSM2 here. :wait:

WDWFREAK101
08-22-2007, 05:42 PM
I diddn't like HSM2 that much. The first was good, the second movie was only ok. It was too predictable, there were too many songs and the story was weak. There were only 3 out of the billion songs in the movie that i actually liked.

What Time Is It?

Work This Out

and I Gotta Go My Way

I felt that since the first movie was so good that they were now focusing on songs, choreography and charcter development. (Also, the character development was not too good eiether.) I'm just saying that i diddn't like the second movie as much as the first. The second movie caught my attention for the first half hour, then after that i thought that it was really boring. The funny thing is though that after i finished watching the movie, i wanted to see it again for some reason! :) It is on again tomorrow 8/23 so i will see it again for some reason.

The ending reminded me of Dirty Dancing. Lol! i don't know why. hahah. But some other person said that the song that Troy sings on the golf course, i had to agree with. That song was really ridiculous. I liked the fact that Sharpay is a lot more mean in this movie. In the first movie she was just a prep that wanted something and diddn't get it. This time she had a plan and....... SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! IF YOU HAVE NOT YET SEEN THE MOVIE, DO NOT CONTINUE READING!!!!!!!
it almost worked. I liked the fact that Sharpay will do anything to get Troy. I think that the plot with deceiving everybody worked out, but over all i just thought that the movie needed a little more work. The first movie took a while to make, this movie took one year after the first came out. The thing that worries me is that the THIRD MOVIE is in post production right now. It will be released in a year. That is a lot of pressure on those young actors. 3 movies, the stage concert, photo shoots, and many, many. many other things. So, Kenny Ortega, SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can wait for another movie, especially after this movie.

Christine
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
cantgetenuff,

Mind if I join the Xanadu train along with you?

Gosh, I loved the movie!

Absolutely! Jump on!

That said, I so wanted a cool rider that looked just like Michael Carrington. And every time we go bowling, I can't help but belt out a line from Score Tonight. So let's all Rock-A-Hula Luau (luau, luau, luau). :lei: :funny:

That's funny! :funny:

We have two birthday parties this weekend and BOTH are bowling parties! I'll be thinking of ya and I'll keep an eye out for a mysterious biker who jumps cop cars in the parking lot!! :D

murphy1
08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
We're gonna score tonight LOL!!!! Grease 2. oy!

Hey, I LOVED Xanadu, I still laugh about that episode of Friends where Phoebe had to watch the movie ( I was around 11 or 12 when I saw that movie, so what did I know!)

I agree with whoever said the thing about Troy singing on the golf course, that reminded me of a bad impression of Kevin Bacon in Footloose, but on a golf course instead of a cornfield. Lucas Grabeel is probably the most talented, if you have seen him in the HSM stage show, he is one of the best dancers around.

Christine
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I agree with whoever said the thing about Troy singing on the golf course, that reminded me of a bad impression of Kevin Bacon in Footloose, but on a golf course instead of a cornfield.

Let's hope it goes better when he actually DOES play Kevin Bacon's part in the remake of Footloose. (I'm not kidding...it's really going to happen!)

Maybe he was giving us a free sneak preview!

murphy1
08-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Christing, are you kidding???? I was totally joking!!!

Christine
08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Christing, are you kidding???? I was totally joking!!!

Nope! Check this out:

Musicals are definitely making their comeback!!

Since Zac Efron’s jump from High School Musical to Hairspray, Paramount has scooped him up for the musical remake of the 1984 film Footloose .

Per Variety, Zac, 19, will bring his musical-leading-man act as Ren McCormack, the rebellious newcomer (originally played by Kevin Bacon) in a town where dancing has been banned.

Director Kenny Ortega (High School Musical) is in negotiations to helm and choreograph.

princessimagineer
08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
as much as i liked the movie, im just not sure.

troy's solo on the golf course- COMPLETELY unnecissary! it just didnt fit for some reason

gabriella's voice annoyed me in the first one. too much helium or something i dont know. i have to agree with someone else: if i would here her giggle one more time, i think i woulda snapped!

i liked seeing more sharpay too! i was totaly not forseeing the whole troy/gabriella breakup to be a possibility so at the begining of the movie when they were being all cutesey all i can think of was "god, im going to go through this ENTIRE movie with the lovebirds!" i was soo glad the way the plot altered that idea.

my one problem with sharpay was she was kinda different from the first movie. like in the first one yeah we knew she was the drama queen and the school big shot, but i felt like she was even more, for lack of better words: "DADDY!" and overdone with the pink and small lapdogs. yea she was a brat in the first one, but in this one she seemed to be a different kind of brat.

is it just me or are both of the movies exactly the same though? think about it: in both movies there was a nice soft loving song that troy and gabriella sing, and then sharpay takes it and ups the tempo and makes it her own. then in the end, gabriella and troy sing a different song about flying away together forever and all there friends are out there pushing them together because everybody knows that troy and gabriella are perfect for eachother. both movies had a dance number somewhere in the middle that the basic moral was: try something nobody expects from you (stick to the status quo and i dont dance). and in both troy's dad pushes him into something else the whole movie, and then at the last second (right before they sing the fly away together forever song) he gives him the moral of the story wich in both cases is "be yourself. whoever that may be."

i liked "were all in this together" better than "all for one"

fig's disney
08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Since Zac Efron’s jump from High School Musical to Hairspray, Paramount has scooped him up for the musical remake of the 1984 film Footloose

not only that but Zac is slated to be in a movie called Seventeen (kinda like Big except in reverse), and he also has be rumoured to be in a movie called Orsen Wells and Me (take place in the 1930s)......and Disney is probably strongly negotiating with all the stars to cash in on HSM3 for theaters.....sounds like he's one busy guy, but still quite level headed from what i can tell (no Lohan, Spears, or Hilton epidemic)