PDA

View Full Version : Pirates aren't the only ones pillaging...

OogieBoogieMan
08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I am heading down this week and noticed that the Magic Kingdom has a Pirate and Princess Party on Saturday. I know some kids are already heading back to school but many don't go back to September and August 18 is still relatively early in the season. It doesn't really seem fair to me to close the park on a Saturday evening at 7 in the summer. Of course I could pony up another $40+ bucks per person for the privilege and then I could stay until midnight. I checked last year's schedule and it was open until 10 on Saturdays through the end of the month. The parties are fun and we enjoy MNSSHP but this feels like Disney is reaching a bit too far into my pocket. Something tells me President's Day and Easter parties can't be far off....

disneymom15
08-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I think I would have to agree with you. I just got done purchasing 3 tickets for MNSSHP. The charge came to almost $150 . I think that's a bit steep for 5 hours in the park. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy MNSSHP (love to look at all the little kids costumes) but I'm starting to question myself if it's worth the money.

Clotho
08-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I agree completely. They are extending these special events so far now, it seems you can never go when there ISN'T one, unless you want to go in the miserable heat and crowds of summer. :(

BigRedDad
08-13-2007, 07:07 AM
This justifies what the Marketeers are doing They are finding more inventive ways of getting more money out of your pocket. They will continue to do it as long as people are willing to put out another $50 per person. Most people going on vacation will find it worth the extra money or justify paying it because they are not there that often. Those that don't can go to Epcot, AK, or MGM. I guess that is their take on the whole situation. This may also be something to curb the locals flooding the parks as well.

As a consumer, I agree with you.

DNS
08-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I am one who tends to defend Disney on most things, including pricing because I think for what you get, park ticket prices and most hotel prices are fair, but I have to agree with this post that these special events are getting to be too much. The Halloween party is now extended into September. That really seems a bit much to me. I think it looks very greedy. They would say they do it so more people can enjoy it, but I think the obvious reason is money. And it really doesn't seem fair to those who do not want to attend those parties, or cannot afford them, but still have to leave the parks early after paying full park price.

Clotho
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Most people going on vacation will find it worth the extra money or justify paying it because they are not there that often. Those that don't can go to Epcot, AK, or MGM.

Ah, but those options aren't available at DLR, where they are just as greedy. You can go to DCA if you want, but that's about it. Even DTD is small and has little of interest when compared to the options at WDW with Raglan Road, Comedy Warehouse, Adventurer's Club, and other nightclubs...

Figgyluv03
08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
it's just another reason to park hop. I'm the idiot willing to spend the extra $40.00 a person just to see the headless horseman run down MainStreet. Then again, Halloween is my favorite holiday and I think the parade and shows will be worth the $40.00 to me.

BigRedDad
08-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Ah, but those options aren't available at DLR, where they are just as greedy. You can go to DCA if you want, but that's about it. Even DTD is small and has little of interest when compared to the options at WDW with Raglan Road, Comedy Warehouse, Adventurer's Club, and other nightclubs...

First off, I do agree that it is greedy. However, if I was reaping the rewards, I would do it as well.

The park closes at the hour stated. They are not taking anything away from anyone. What they are doing is offering an opportunity for those that are interested.

Its like I said, the Marketeers are geniuses. They found a way to get another 10k-20k people to give them $40-$50 more for 5 hours of park. At the high end, that is an additional $1M per night. If you had a business, would you pass up that opportunity? I would start to plan on "special" parties like this for every season:

Easter: Mickey's Magical Easter Egg Hunt
Forth of July: Mickey's Patriots Party
Mardi Gras: Mickey's Magical Ash Wednesday Party

As long as tens of thousands of people are willing to fork out $40-$50 for each of these, it is not going to end. For most people, this is a minor nuisance or time for additional fun. If you want to go, spend the extra money. If not, enjoy the other opportunities WDW has to offer.

TINKERBELL_82
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
This may also be something to curb the locals flooding the parks as well.

I completely agree with the post, but why would Disney want to discourage locals from coming to the parks?? I would think that money would be money in thier eyes, and that they would welcome locals!

Ian
08-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm mostly ambivalent to these, because this is just an added revenue stream Disney is tapping into. If they didn't generate revenue here, it would be somewhere else. It's not like they'd just leave the park open later for free, at the same ticket price as today.

Many people fail to realize that it's rarely an either or scenario in these cases. If they didn't do the after hours parties, a one day ticket would most likely be over $100 now ... or they wouldn't have added as many new attractions ... or they'd raise hotel rates ... or something to replace the lost revenue from the hard ticket events.

Truth is, at least in this way they can give folks back some value for their money. I'd rather it be this way than just flat across the board price hikes for everything. Honestly, I think it's pretty fair of Disney to do it this way. People have the choice now to either pay or not pay.

pixiesmimi
08-14-2007, 12:34 AM
We are going to be there during the P&P Party August 26 - 31. I didn't even think about getting tickets for this since it will just be DH and me this time. I figured that it would be just for kids. But after I have read all the posts about it, I'm about to change my mind and feel bad that we didn't get tickets for it. I don't like the idea that they close the park early that day for this either but I had already made plans to be at another park that day anyway. Now I'm thinking that I will be thinking about it that day at the other park and wishing that I were there and wondering what I am missing. :) I guess next time, I might think of shelling out the extra money but I'm pretty sure that DH wouldn't care anything about it if we didn't have the DGKs with us. I too didn't think it fair for them to close the park because of this but I guess everyone likes the special things like this because plenty of people are paying the extra to go to them.