PDA

View Full Version : First time questions re. kid care/activities

thejens
08-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I am contemplating an April western carribean cruise. I've never done a DCL, but cruised NCL once. Can anyone explain more about the meal/show/kid club scheduling. On the NCL the advertising made it sound like it would be easy to do dinner and a show with kids in the kid care, but I found it to be challenging. I understand the earlier shows are more kid friendly than the later shows. I have a 4 and 9 year old boys. I am thinking early dinner and then check them in to kids club while we go to show??? Or early show and late dinner? Or if show does not appeal to them they could eat at Topsiders early and go to kids club? How flexible is the kids club. They make it sound like you can drop them off any time but they have special events? I like spending time with my kids most of the time, but in the evening would love a little grown up time? Would love any experienced input!

Chipfan
08-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I work in the kids club and you really can drop them off whenever you want. The only thing you have to do is check in you daily navigator to see where the groups are and then just bring them to that location and drop them off with the counselors there. As far as dinner and the show many parents pick up their kids for both dinner and the show. There are times when the kids don't want to leave which is fine we always provide dinner if the children are signed in with us. I personally recommend taking your children to the nightly shows in the Walt Disney Theater atleast the big productions like The Golden Mickeys, Disney Dreams and Twice Charmed. They are truly amazing productions that I attempt to see whenever I get the time off to go. However if they don't want to see the shows they are more than welcomed to play with us during that time. There are always activities going on throughout the day and night. Pretty much you can drop off and pick up your children whenever you would like. Hope this helps and let me know if ou need any more information about the club/lab.

ElenitaB
08-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for your answer, Chipfan! :thumbsup:

The shows that are shown on the DCL ships are the same, no matter what time they're shown, maintaining the family friendliness of the ship.

You might want to chose your dinner time based on what time you normally dine at home. If your DSs are still awake enough to eat at the late sitting (8:30), the early show and then dinner might be an option. I know that the busy days on the ship (and maybe the fresh salt air :confused: ) had us both pretty wiped by the time the later seating rolled around. (I've seen many a picture of kids sleeping at dinner.) Luckily, we had the earlier seating which was much earlier than when we normally eat dinner, but worked out just fine. By the time you have dinner and see the show, your 4 year old just might be ready for bed. (My 11 yr old —the night owl— did go back to the Lab after the show at least once, while dear ol' Ma roamed the ship and then went back to our cabin to enjoy the view from our verandah. :cloud9: )

TammiMcMan
08-13-2007, 06:46 PM
There are a few transition periods where they don't allow sign-in or sign-out, but that doesn't happen very often. I seem to remember that they advised us we couldn't drop our daughter off while they were in transit between activities, or if they were at the movies and possibly dinner because there was no way for them to check the kids in or out at those areas. That differs a bit from what Chipfan posted, so perhaps they've updated their remote technology since then.

We usually took our cues from the kids and the navigators make it so easy. Our kids could choose what they wanted to do that day and even if they'd prefer to have a meal with the club. If they change their minds, they can simply page you. I think DCL does an amazing job with their kids club and activities.

Chipfan
08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
You do have to watch out for the transition times (15 minute blocks of time where we move the kids from one location to another) where no sign-in/out can happen but that said we will try as hard as we can to accomodate you during that time. If you have reservations at Palos or are trying to get to something on the ship we will try as hard as we can to either have you meet the group where they will be leaving from before they leave or just sign them in at the new location if we can do that for you.

TexasPrincessAurora
08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Elenita B is right...the shows are the same either time and both audiences are equally family friendly. We had an early seating for dinner and went to the later show. There were many small children there, so we certainly didn't feel out of place with our 3 year old at that time. DCL does a great job of making everything family friendly and easy!

thejens
08-17-2007, 08:08 PM
It sounds really great! I should have known Disney would have the kidclub done well! If you go on a 7 night cruise is there a different show every night? Are they all kid-oriented?

TexasPrincessAurora
08-17-2007, 11:38 PM
We did the 7 night western Caribbean cruise and we had a different show each night (one night we had a movie instead of a show...we skipped that) Some held our son's attention better than others...and some were better to us than others. I think they are in the process of adding and updating some. They were all worth seeing, I'd say. Disney Dreams is amazing...don't miss it. Twice Charmed was cute as well.

TammiMcMan
08-18-2007, 04:46 PM
If you go on a 7 night cruise is there a different show every night?Yes. And sometimes on the longer cruises, they offer a matinee showing, so that might be an option for you. Just check the daily Navigator.
Are they all kid-oriented?I would say they are "family" oriented. What I mean by that, is that the shows are suitable for families, but older kids may prefer the variety acts, while younger kids enjoy the character song & dance shows.

ElenitaB
08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
If you have an iPod, you might want to check out the Disney Cruise Line podcasts offered on iTunes. You can find these same podcasts on the Disney Cruise Line site (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/podcasting/landing?name=PodcastingLandingPage), and if you go to the second page (click on the right arrow) there's even one titled "What to See at Sea" about the onboard shows offered on the Wonder and the Magic.