PDA

View Full Version : Oddest Thing You've Eaten That You Liked

drummerboy
08-12-2007, 04:21 PM
As a companion the the Nastiest Thing You've Eaten thread, I thought it would be fun to go the opposite direction. What odd thing have you eaten that you didn't think you'd like but did?

One thing I can think of is turtle soup (one of the things Ian mentioned in the other thread) made with snapping turtle meat. My now deceased step-father's family would have it about once a year, and as a kid, I actually liked it once I tried it.

Marilyn Michetti
08-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Deep fried alligator paw. We had it once in Florida, (way before Disney), and it really tasted like lobster.:D

tigger24601
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
while i was in culinary school we had a chef who was building a house in africa. on his last trip he had picked up some elephant jerky and smuggled it back here to the states. he wouldn't tell us what it was before we tried it but even if he had i probly would have at least tasted it. to this day it is the oddest thing i have eaten and it was pretty good.

ftwildernesskid
08-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I loved alligator tail when I had it earlier this summer. And surprisingly I really love sushi even though I don't like a lot of fish.

TINKERBELL_82
08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Mine would have to be rattlesnake. It really does taste like chicken!:D

disneydeb
08-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Is pickled okra count as something odd? If so I like pickled okra, of if it's not counted as odd, I still like it.:D
I DO NOT AND NEVER WILL like Mountain Oysters!
Yuck! had to wipe my tongue with my napkin, then voluteerily washed my mouth out with soap!:sick:

conorsmom2000
08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
For me, it's escargot (sorry Kay! :D ) - I had it and loved it. If you knew what a picky eater I am, you would know how odd that is - just to give you a clue, I don't like tomatoes, onions, mayo, peppers, salad dressings....just to name a few! :blush: But snails....them I'll eat! :D

DVC2004
08-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I like escargot, too. Never thought I'd try it, let alone like it. But with all that butter and garlic! :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Deep fried dill pickle slices.....Awesome! :thumbsup:

Frog legs...tried them at V&A, and really liked them. Really did kind of taste like chicken.

Gator tail...had this when I was 15, and was surprised that I liked it that much.

Momof2boys
08-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Crawfish - once you get past ripping their heads off & sucking the juice they are quite tasty.

ldn324
08-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Not too odd, but mine probably be finocchio (pronounced like fanook) or fennel. Cut up raw into strips eaten as part of a crudite. I used to hate licorice, but I actually like the taste as I get older. Also don't mind fennel seeds too much either.

Something about getting older - you end up liking things you hated as a kid :confused:

SBETigg
08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Kim chee. It's a Korean dish, pickled cabbage, really fermented cabbage, spicy and odd tasting, but I like it. I eat and enjoy a lot of things others might consider odd, though. Like escargot and frogs legs, which hardly seem odd enough to mention, to me.

jennbunn
08-17-2007, 02:10 AM
deep fried pickles they look sooo gross but are sooo good!!!

TheDuckRocks
08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
This has been a very hard question for me to answer because I think what I eat is kind of run of the mill. I have had people go "Yuck" when I say I like Hawaiian pork lau lau, kim chee, dried mango with li hi moi, boiled peanuts, asparagus, artichokes, spam, avacados and Japanese mochi.

TikiGoddess
08-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm afraid the oddest thing I've eaten (knowingly) is escargot. Had them in Spain and France and just loved the taste.

Does Beverly count? :D

TikiG

ElenitaB
08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I like escargot, too. Never thought I'd try it, let alone like it. But with all that butter and garlic! :thumbsup:
We had escargots on the Wonder this past November and they were quite good... all that garlic and butter! :thumbsup: Never thought I would like something I've did by best to destroy before it destroyed my San Diego garden. Even DS liked them!

Not too odd, but mine probably be finocchio (pronounced like fanook) or fennel. Cut up raw into strips eaten as part of a crudite. I used to hate licorice, but I actually like the taste as I get older. Also don't mind fennel seeds too much either.
Growing up in an Italian neighborhood, fennel was absolutely normal! I didn't have it cooked until recently though, and it's yummy that way too.

I've had all kinds of unusual seafood, including crawdaddies (not unusual if you live near New Orleans) and percebes in Spain (goose barnacles). And being of Romanian descent, we would have sweetbreads maybe twice or three times a year. Yum! Oh, and I've had alligator prepared a few different ways and like that too!

Growing up, my dad would often challenge me to try different (and sometimes unusual) things. He and I were well matched in that arena.

snifflesmcg
08-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I too, am going to have to go with escargo. I had it on a Caribbean cruise in 2005. Although they were very good, I still have a hard time getting past what they really are.

Mousefever
08-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't know if this counts as odd, but Sugar on Snow.

People from New England probably all know about this. You boil maple syrup then drop it on a pan of very clean snow. The syrup turns into a taffy. The odd thing is that you're supposed to eat it along with dill pickles and plain donuts, at least in my neck of Vermont. The maple taffy is so sweet that the sour pickle counteracts the sweet taste. The plain donut just evens it out I suppose.

:dory: