PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain - Drier in the Winter?

IloveDisney71
08-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I was wondering if you don't get as wet on SM in the cooler months? It seems like when I rode it in Feb. I didn't get near as wet as when I rode it in the hotter months. Has anyone else had this experience or was I just lucky? :scratch:I want to ride it in Dec. when I go because it's one of my favorite rides, but I don't want to freeze! :freeze:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-11-2007, 10:33 PM
As far as I've read on here before, the water cannons get turned down in the cooler months and days, and when its hot and humid, they're cranked right up.

Chris :hatter:

DisneyGRL7
08-12-2007, 12:10 AM
As far as I've read on here before, the water cannons get turned down in the cooler months and days

Yes I believe this is true. When I ride in January, I barely get wet, even from the front row.

Melanie
08-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Yes I believe this is true. When I ride in January, I barely get wet, even from the front row.

:ditto:

The cannons are definitely turned down in cooler months.

KAJUNKING
08-12-2007, 02:19 AM
its great the experiences they can control! they make it great no matter what time of year it is :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
08-12-2007, 08:09 AM
We rode in January and February last year. From the ground, the splash looked and sounded as loud! But riding..we didn't get wet like we do in September or May, the warmer months we have visited. We sat next to CM's at the parade in Frontierland and we overheard them talking about how the splash was turned down, and how they always turn the splash down on very cool days.

TheRustyScupper
08-12-2007, 09:48 AM
1) The Florida Tourism Board has strict rules here.
2) In the Winter, the water must not be as wet as in Summer.
3) It is something we do for your comfort.

Jared
08-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Since my family usually visits Walt Disney World during the winter, I never knew the water cannons could create more wetness. When I vacationed last May, my sister and I were quite surprised.

Elyssa was scared enough of the final drop but was comforted when I assured she would stay mostly dry. Imagine how she felt when we went around the first turn and was zapped by a cascade of water that spilled from a prior splash.

:blush:

TikiGoddess
08-12-2007, 10:05 AM

:rotfl::rotfl:

TikiG

showmethemouse
08-12-2007, 11:57 AM
every time we rode it we didn't get wet at all and we when in oct. this year we are going in aug.:mickey:

IloveDisney71
08-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely be on SM in Dec! :thumbsup:

mickey-mouse35
08-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Good info!!! If you want to definitely avoid getting wet, wear a poncho and don't sit in front row. :D

We've always gone in winter--will be interesting to see how it changes when we go in October! :coaster:

angel2931
08-12-2007, 05:14 PM
When my Dbf and I went in December/January, we road SM on a very warm 12/30 and got SOAKED!! We rode it again on 1/2 (the last day before they closed it for refurbishment) and it was a little cooler that day, and there was like no splash. But it was still just as fun as always!! Only 11 more days till our journey begins!! Hooray!!:mickey:

chrisb26
08-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Hmm intresting I never knew that but it does make sense. I rode Splash Mtn. in May when I was there and I was telling my friend who had never been to WDW that you don't get that wet on splash mtn. last time I was there I wasn't even wet. Which was actually true. But in may we where soaked a big giant fall of water landed right on us. Needless to say she wasn't exactly happy with me :blush: after that. But at least I know why since the last time I was on splash mtn. before that I didn't get wet but that was in the winter.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
When my Dbf and I went in December/January, we road SM on a very warm 12/30 and got SOAKED!! We rode it again on 1/2 (the last day before they closed it for refurbishment) and it was a little cooler that day, and there was like no splash. But it was still just as fun as always!! Only 11 more days till our journey begins!! Hooray!!:mickey:

Well, we weren't there during a warm day on Dec 19... it was one of the coldest days I've experienced at WDW.

We got wetter than we usually do in the summer! Wet jeans are no fun! We saw people walking off dry.

I guess its just luck, but I don't remember being that wet in the summer. We rode early in the MVMCP, and we were still wet when we got back after the party was over.

Good thing the hot chocolate was paid for!

Marilyn Michetti
08-12-2007, 07:33 PM

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

TINKERBELL_82
08-12-2007, 08:09 PM
They may turn it down, but you can still expect to get wet! I rode in February, (the temp that night was in the 40's) and I got pretty darn soaked!!:freeze:

DestinationWDW
08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I just got home from Disney 2 hrs and 40 min ago! Barely got splashed twice when I rode this trip (and it was VERY HOT).....in Dec 2006 got SOAKED and FROZE....had to buy shirt and hoodie! Honestly think it depends on your luck - if the boat coming down the hill "splashes" you when you are comin' round that turn you get pretty wet....my DS also asked about the different water jets :confused: being off or on (I admit I never noticed.....) CM noted that through different points during day they turn them off and on.:cool:

battle beast
08-12-2007, 09:53 PM
They had better not turn it down when I am there! I want to get as wet as I can! and if the Temperature stays around 20-25, I think that it pretty darn hot not to have the jets on! Full blast, please!!! :thumbsup:

mttafire
08-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Wet or dry all i know is i LOVE S.M.!!:mickey:

jetsdc
08-13-2007, 11:43 AM
In the Winter, the water must not be as wet as in Summer.

This is a great line -- right out of a Yogi Berra script!! I thought that in the summer, nobody goes on Splash Mtn. anymore because it's too crowded...