PDA

View Full Version : Back fom our York, ME trip!

darthmacho
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
We just got back from our trip last night, and just wanted to report that after some early rain and fog, the weather cleared up for a fantastic finish to our week at York Beach! :sun:

We went to York's Wild Kingdom, visited the Nubble Lighthouse, browsed and shopped, went on a trolley tour of the four distinct sections of town, got an old fashioned family photo, and of course, went to the beach!

I averaged a lobster roll a day for the five day trip, and ate more candy than I care to remember! :crab:

We had a great time, and can't wait to go back again someday. I just hope there's enough money left for the WDW trip next year!

SBETigg
08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Oh, cool! I'm glad you had a great time. I was just thinking about Maine the other day and I was wondering if you would do a trip report. Lobster-yum! I have been craving Maine lobster and fried clams. We're doing Disney instead of Maine this year, so I can't complain but I do miss it.

Did you let the kids climb down the rocks at Nubble? That always makes me a little nervous. I love the beaches! Such rugged beauty. Did you see seals? Our last trip, we had harbor seals right outside our window one morning. Fun to watch! So glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the report.

chick20679
08-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Glad you had fun up here in my home state!! We really are lucky to live here. Well, maybe not so much in the dead of winter...
Hope you have many more memorable trips to come!!

Bethanymouse
08-12-2007, 11:28 PM
We traveled to ME a few years ago and enjoyed all of the sights! It is a great trip and I hope to do it again some day! I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself.:D

darthmacho
08-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone, it was a wonderful trip. We didn't see any seals, but we saw a few different kinds of sea birds and even the state bird, a Black Capped Chickadee. DD1 was thrilled about that, as she read about them in the book she borrowed from the library about Maine before we left on our trip.

I hope to make it back to Maine again sometime soon. Luckily it is close enough that we could even do an overnighter or even a day trip to York! I do want to explore a little more of the state as well.

WDW (hopefully) in 2008!

Beckybalz
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Where did you stay? I'd like to take a short trip up to York sometime soon.

darthmacho
08-15-2007, 11:24 AM
We stayed at the Sea Latch, which is across from Long Sands Beach. It served our needs for the most part, but I would not recommend it. I would suggest the Anchorage Inn two doors down. We tried to book it, but it was full for our week. I'll book earlier next time.

If you have any more questions beckybals, please ask, I'll answer best I can! :crab:

DisneyWhirled
09-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Glad you enjoyed your stay in our "little" state!

York certainly is beautiful & busy!!

We were just down there for a ride yesterday, and it was packed! It was a gorgeous day, so everyone was out.

cal5755
09-07-2007, 11:23 PM
OMG I am sooooooo Jealous!!! I went to York every year since I was an infant and after moving to MD 2 years ago we have not been :(!

Please tell me... did you get Browns icecream??? MMMMM I can just taste it... and smell the salty air....ooooh and walking down the rocks at nubble light looking for starfish!! MAN OH MAN.... I am glad you had fun!!

We made several trips a year to York Beach and Old Orchard.... man do I miss Maine!!!

Dsnygirl
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I was so excited to see your post!! I've spent a few weeks in Maine each summer since I was a baby, most specifically in York Beach as a child & teen, and more recently on Orrs Island, off the coast of Brunswick... but we ALWAYS stay overnight in York Beach (at the Katahdin Inn) on our way there each year, and find a day or two to come down during the week and just soak in being in York again. My girls LOVE it there!! I'm taking my mom there in Nov. for a few nights, and I can't wait to go back, even in the cooler weather. There's just nothing like it. I'm so glad to hear you had a great time, and I'm jealous you live so close... my DH and I used to (we lived outside of Nashua, NH for 6 years) and I miss those day trips....

mjaclyn
09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I LOVE York Beach!!! My family and I rent a beach house on Short Sands almost every year. This year we went the second week of August and it was so much fun! We spent almost every day at Short Sands beach, went to the Goldenrod, the Fun-O-Rama, Wild Kingdom, shopped and ate lots of candy as well! The lobster rolls are delicious and the clam chowder is so creamy!! I can't wait to go back! It was DD 10mos first trip to the beach adn she loved the sand. It was so cute to watch her play in it!

IamBelle
09-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I live in MA, and I went to York on day trips throughout the whole summer. We always go to the General Store for breakfast and then walk Long Sands. We then go over to the Center and buy salt water taffy at Goldenrod's and get some fudge at the Whispering Sands store. I love York ME! I haven't spent a week there in a long time. I'm glad you had fun!