PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation of Dulce de Leche?

DisneyMelissa
08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
So I always see this flavor at starbucks, and I looked it up online. It looks like it would taste very good...so I'd like to order it! One problem though, I have no clue how to pronounce it! :confused: Could someone help me please? Also, does it taste as good as it looks?

tink'72
08-11-2007, 02:30 PM
It's pronounced

Dulche de Leche
ch as in church

I've never had it before. You'll have to let us know how it tastes!

threeh
08-11-2007, 03:55 PM
It tastes very good! Dul chay day letchay. Enjoy!!!:mickey:

DisneyMelissa
08-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank you both! I'm on my way to starbucks right now :)

CaptainDisney
08-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Actually, as a former Starbucks barista (just left last week) and a Spanish student, I can tell you that it is pronounced "doolsay day lechay". If it were Italian, it would have the hard "ch", but in Spanish, this is an "s" sound ;)

Also, it is very tasty (think milky caramel, as opposed to Starbucks' other caramel drinks which are more buttery). Enjoy!

DisneyMelissa
08-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks CaptainDisney! I just got back from Starbucks...and just my luck, they were all out of that flavor! So I got the good ol' reliable caffe vanilla frappaccino instead.

Also, a side question. I have started liking frapaccinos since my last visit to the World, so do they sell any drinks like this down there?

Dracula766
08-12-2007, 05:40 AM
actually if you want to sound legit

dool- se (as in set without the T)

de (Like dead without the second D)

leche (as if you were in a french restaraunt wanting to say "i need le check" but without the ck)

It's made by boiling milk with sugar til it carmelizes and most of the moisture is cooked out.

I'd highly recommend you try cajeta as well. It's pretty much the same thing but made with goats milk.:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
actually if you want to sound legit

dool- se (as in set without the T)

de (Like dead without the second D)

leche (as if you were in a french restaraunt wanting to say "i need le check" but without the ck)

It's made by boiling milk with sugar til it carmelizes and most of the moisture is cooked out.

I'd highly recommend you try cajeta as well. It's pretty much the same thing but made with goats milk.:thumbsup:

You are right-o, both on the pronunciation (there is no hard 'a' sound at all...it's all soft vowel 'e' sounds like "eh") and the origin. :thumbsup:

On a side note, you can "make your own" by taking a can of CONDENSED milk and cooking it in the oven for about an hour. ;)

It's delicious on ice cream!