PDA

View Full Version : The Flip Hat debate...

LittleDragonErin
08-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Le sigh.

I seriously have never seen such a reaction in VMK before. At one point there were almost 30 guest rooms open about this. On a board I moderate, we must have closed, merged or moved close to 50 threads or posts regarding this issue. And 90% of them were pointless posts just letting off steam.

Personally, I see this as a display of how sad some people have gotten to be in VMK. All this over a hat. I guess VMK is finally living up to its original tagline..."Be the envy of the kingdom."

But aside from the little "push" VMK gives, this situation today also shows the values kids have these days. It almost makes me cry that these kids are so materialistic. How much time and energy was wasted today by so many of them just to contribute their disatisfaction over a hat that wasn't all that rare to begin with?

All the new players are happy. When these complainers were once new, they were happy to see the rerelease of retired items. Yet now that they have "wealth", suddenly they feel the new players don't deserve a break anymore? How the tables turn.

I logged on today, finally excited about something for the first time in months. A Lilo dress to go with my Stitch hat! I spent all of 10 minutes excited before the room I was in filled with players I didn't know ranting and raving about the green flip hat. I moved to a friends room where my excitement over my Lilo dress again lasted but 5 minutes before the flip hat was the topic of discussion. I left and went to another friends room. It didn't take too long. About a "Aloha" and "I'm doing good" and then the "have to heard how many people are complaining about the hat?" question was put to me.

Thanks guys. Thank you very much for ruining my return to VMK.

I'm upset and saddened at the same time. Upset because I'd rather spend time talking to friends about what's been going on lately than hear people complain about a hat losing its value. I'm saddened because that seems to be the most important thing on these kids' minds. Hanging out with friends or buying and selling...which is more fun and more important? Apparently the latter.

I'll be glad when school starts again, so these kids can waste their energies on something more logical.

WDWfanatic742
08-11-2007, 01:13 AM
It's always going to be like that unfortnately. It's a little kids game and most are going to complain if something doesn't go their way. I see it this way. Ever since they had that poll over a year ago asking players if they wanted to keep stuff rare or bring those things back once in awhile, most voted for the latter. The only item I truely see never being released again out to the public are green flips. The market is (somewhat) saturated in inferno's at this time by the freeness of staff a few month's ago when they were just handing them out. They haven't done that in awhile, but I can't see that lasting long on the most wanted thing in VMK.

If you honestly want to get the most out of your items when trading, trade on a Wednesday or Thursday and sooner or later, that item will come back on the game. If your wanting something retired, either wait or get it for as cheap as possible. If you get burned on the deal, so what? That's what happens sometimes and it happens in real life all the time.

chrisb26
08-11-2007, 01:15 AM
I know what you mean Little. It does seem that way alot. I think it is terrible how when anything that has been released before seems to come out again you will automatically see people complain about it. They can't just be happy because VMK has finally started to release things just complain. I also find that the people that complain about stuff coming back out are the exact same people that complain when VMK doesn't release anything for a long time. You just can't seem to make some people happy no matter what you do. I said I was a bit disappointed that the hat came out but that was only cause I traded for mine I would much rather have been able to buy one ;) but that is really the only reason I think its great that VMK is releasing items again this is the thing they need to do to stop all the scamming that is happening. I would have liked VMK to maybe to have made the hat a new color but hey they brought something out again why is that such a bad thing? I would be happy to seem almost anything come out again. I really think it should also what better way to stop scamming then make everything available to everybody. The only thing I would have to say I wouldn't want to be made available to everybody would be the Stitch hat the only reason for that would be because you had to actually put so much money and book a trip to DLR to get it. That really would be the only reason but everything else I think they should let everybody have. Why do things need to be rare? Does it really serve any good purpose? Yes if everything was released then trading wouldn't be needed but would they need to release everything forever? No. Do things like once a year. Like the Halloween things they only come out once a year and you know what by the time halloween comes or even this time the Halloween things are worth some things right now. Not anything big but I dont think it should be that way either.

cheshirecollector
08-11-2007, 01:28 AM
For so many players, the fun of the game is based around trading and acquiring items. It's VMK's fault really, for making certain items rare and desirable to begin with. Would anyone care about inferno if it was mass distributed from the beginning, or the staff clothes if they were never taken out? But like someone said before, VMK ran that poll, and more players wanted re-releases.

The anger will die down soon, just like it did for the mass re-release of the Halloween costumes last year.

I'm so over the "acquiring things" phase that I don't care if the last two of my rare hats are re-released (princess hat and red baseball cap). I wasn't planning on trading them anyway, and it would make me happy if everyone who wants one can get them.

wizardmickey
08-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Green's not my colour anyway...
unless you count those really hot looking ty.eats I spring on y'all now and then! :thumbsup:

RicksCafe
08-11-2007, 03:06 AM
It's VMK's fault really, for making certain items rare and desirable to begin with. I wouldn't blame VMK for anything here. The entire Virtual Magic Kingdom, like much of the western world, is based upon a capitalistic-barter economy. To that extent, it is by definition tinged with "greed" and the value of any commodity is based upon what the market will bear.

On a macroeconomic level, when VMK re-releases an item, it is merely simulating a glut. Wait another two years, and any item re-released today will rise in "value" in proportion to the number of players who join the game. Want your stuff to be rare? Recruit new players. Brilliant, really.

And in the market, timing is everything. You can just as easily make a good deal as a bad one. In this case, the real whiners are those who made a bad deal based on the winds of change in this virtual market. They would have done well to read point #1 in my Tao of VMK: "Expect the unexpected."

Meh, and the other whiners are largely bored kids who need to go back to school desperately.

Ricks (who would LOVE to see green flips re-released just to watch their little jaws drop... Woot! Schadenfreude! )

TinkRocks
08-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Green's not my colour anyway...
unless you count those really hot looking ty.eats I spring on y'all now and then! :thumbsup:

:photo:

LittleDragonErin
08-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't blame VMK for anything here. The entire Virtual Magic Kingdom, like much of the western world, is based upon a capitalistic-barter economy. To that extent, it is by definition tinged with "greed" and the value of any commodity is based upon what the market will bear.

On a macroeconomic level, when VMK re-releases an item, it is merely simulating a glut. Wait another two years, and any item re-released today will rise in "value" in proportion to the number of players who join the game. Want your stuff to be rare? Recruit new players. Brilliant, really.

And in the market, timing is everything. You can just as easily make a good deal as a bad one. In this case, the real whiners are those who made a bad deal based on the winds of change in this virtual market. They would have done well to read point #1 in my Tao of VMK: "Expect the unexpected."

Meh, and the other whiners are largely bored kids who need to go back to school desperately.

Ricks (who would LOVE to see green flips re-released just to watch their little jaws drop... Woot! Schadenfreude! )

Y'know for once, I actually understood you. Hahaha!!! And I agree wholeheartedly. Release the green flips! Muahahaha!!!

tarjaybuff
08-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Well said. VMK prides itself on values and being a good character. When in all actuality it teaches kids to be cruel. Fighting over items, seperating the rich from the poor, refusal to share. It's all crazy.

I also have been away from VMK lately, because of all of the drama. Just make all items available to everyone. I feel horrible for the young kids whose parents can't afford to take them to DL to get a Stitch hat. The game is not about who has more; it is about creativity, interaction, and the love of disney.:mickey:

terri.m
08-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Aww Erin you should have come to visit me! We had a hula line going in our new Lilo dress!!

As for the hat, I think it's a good life lesson for some of those VMK'ers. It's not what you have that makes you special.

The silliest thing I saw was a group dressed in blue holding a strike on main street. ( insert rolling eye smilie here )

I also can't wait for school to start again...

mickeynuts
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah it was fun to go around and pick fights with the whiners (oops I mean try to make them understand it's all part of the guessing game of trading) for a while, but it got old really fast. One girl was actually saying, 'but now nobody will give free rare cause there wont be any rare!' That did it for me, let them whine to each other. I'd rather have fun.
:cool: Mamacita

Chescat
08-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Its sad. You think people would be happy the hat came out so everybody could get it. At least there not a lot of "have nots" with this hat! :)

Funny thing is nobody was upset when the peter pan hat came out.
:funny::funny:

I predict also that the princess hat and that ugly musketeer hat are next since it was those 4 that came out together.

TinkRocks
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
I predict also that the princess hat and that ugly musketeer hat are next since it was those 4 that came out together.

...and people are whining now, with the green baseball flip hat being re-released????

Can y'all remember the mad stampede for those musketeer hats? :rotfl:

I heard rumors the princess hat will be released in the not too distant future. I foresee many 'happy' people about that decision too...

:secret: Oooh - now there's a thought... Ice in his ty-eats and a Princess Hat!!! :cloud9:

cheshirecollector
08-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Oooh - now there's a thought... Ice in his ty-eats and a Princess Hat!!!

Oh, the fashion "don'ts" I used to see with that hat! Please don't encourage a repeat! :rolleyes:

LittleDragonErin
08-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Oh, the fashion "don'ts" I used to see with that hat! Please don't encourage a repeat! :rolleyes:

I believe everybody should be free to express themselves in a fashion sense...

...in the privacy of their own guest rooms, that is. ;)