PDA

View Full Version : What is the nastiest thing you've ever eaten?

Marilyn Michetti
08-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I just got back this past Sunday from my class reunion, (1962 - you do the math), and while I was there, I went into an Amish cheesehouse, and they had samples out to taste. Wellllll..., I was doing fine with the cheese's, and had something that I THOUGHT was ham or maybe pepperoni. IT WAS SQUIRREL JERKEY!! Not only was it salty and greasy, it had a "gamey" taste. I was close to gagging, and almost chocked trying to swallow it. That Amish man belly laughed at everyone that found out what they were tasting, so at least he enjoyed my reaction.:sick:

What is the worst thing you've ever put in your mouth? And, how did you handle it?

snifflesmcg
08-10-2007, 09:53 PM
BUTTERMILK!!! What a disgusting vile fluid. I thought "Oh buttermilk, this should be great". NOPE! :ack:

RenDuran
08-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Years ago at mom's I was eating a Twinkie in the dark and it tasted funny. I turned the light on and the entire cream filling was dark green with mold! I'm gagging thinking about it! :sick:

conorsmom2000
08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Years ago at mom's I was eating a Twinkie in the dark and it tasted funny. I turned the light on and the entire cream filling was dark green with mold! I'm gagging thinking about it! :sick:

:ill: :sick: :ack: That made me gag just reading that!!!

But, that happened to me once too - I was a few months pregnant with Conor and Mike and I went to an Ice Cream Shop. I ordered this dish that came with mint chocolate chip ice cream and a slice of pound cake. I noticed the top of the pound cake looked green, but I thought the ice cream had gotten on it - only when I was about to take a bite did I realize that no, it wasn't ice cream - it was mold! :ill:

I can't really think of anything that would really be nasty that I've had, though I do remember the worst thing - I was at Mike's Dad's bar and someone had a bottle of some kind of atomic super hot sauce - the kind that would make a grown man cry! Someone dared me to take a little taste - why I did this, I don't know as I don't like anything hot or spicy at all! But, I couldn't refuse a dare! :blush: I was immediately sick from it and I still get queasy when I think of it! :sick:

MsMin
08-11-2007, 12:28 AM
A cookie made from the Durian Fruit :ack: It's aroma filled the room.

PirateLover
08-11-2007, 02:52 AM
One of my bf's favorite foods is Sesame Chicken (A Chinese food). Well I never liked the way it smelled which is my number one rule of thumb when it comes to eating... if I don't like the smell, I won't like the taste as I'm very picky...but one night he basically forced me to try it. (Mind you it was reheated in the microwave to boot!) Well it barely got into my mouth when my body decided it couldn't handle it and I ran into the bathroom and starting throwing up. Yea... I have really sensitive tastebuds....lol.

Flower
08-11-2007, 08:21 AM
In college I used to work at a sports store and every Canada Day - July 1st, the store owner would close the store and have an all-day BBQ at his 'cottage'. His house had about 10 acres and his cottage was actually on the property!

It was about an hours drive so a bunch of us met at a local coffee shop so we could car pool. Of course, everyone went inside the coffee shop before the drive. I grabbed a chocolate milk and went outside, I took a HUGE drink and it was curled - I am gagging as I type this! :sick: Fortunately I was in the parking lot and was able to spit it right out, and I had a bottle of water to try to get the taste out. I could not drink chocolate milk for about 2 years!

tink'72
08-11-2007, 10:40 AM
The worst thing I've ever eaten was frogs legs! YUCK I was about 15 and my Dad came home with what looked like chicken wings...they were longer but I was 15 and my Dad gave them to me and said they wer okay. It was only until I had taken a bite that he told me what they were. Needless to say I got quit sick , they were gross. :sick:

jillluvsdisney
08-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Can anyone top pig brain tacos?

I had some at a roadside stand on a highway coming from Vera Cruz back to Mexico City. I was married at the time and we were visiting in laws. I thought it was pork or chicken. Tio Manuel had a very funny sense of humor:ack:

disneydeb
08-11-2007, 05:09 PM
:D Mountain Oysters! No, they are NOT fresh water oysters (as I thought they were) when my parents told me that was the meat for dinner that night.:sick:

I'm afraid that the moderators will censor me if I tell you what they are.:blush:

princessjojo
08-11-2007, 06:06 PM
I love seafood and will eat oysters and hold my own at any "raw bar" with any man I know. Anyways, shrimp is probably one of my favorites. DH & I were eating at the beach one evening for dinner and knowing that he didn't like them, I reached to his plate and took what I though was a shrimp from his plate and quickly put it in my mouth.

Let me tell you something. Crawdads and shrimp taste nothing alike :ack:. I thought it was kinda fishy smelling, but I thought it was just the other fish dishes around us. Nope, it wasn't. I have yet to eat anything off of his plate again, and that was 6-7 years ago.

drummerboy
08-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Deep-fried rattlesnake. Tasted like chicken of course.

Melanie
08-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm not even sure what some of the things I've eaten here in Japan are. :blush:

Magic Smiles
08-11-2007, 10:12 PM
:D Mountain Oysters! No, they are NOT fresh water oysters (as I thought they were) when my parents told me that was the meat for dinner that night.:sick:

I'm afraid that the moderators will censor me if I tell you what they are.:blush:

Looked them up on the internet. That is so DISGUSTING!

Stan
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Worst thing I ever tried to eat had to be some kind of tofu concoction an unnamed family member served to me a few years ago. :ack:

DS has a much better story. Back when he was dating our future DDIL, the 2 of them were looking in her parents' fridge for leftovers because DS was hungry. DDIL found a nice dish of spaghetti, heated and served it to him- he ate every bite. Later DDIL's grandma asked, "What happened to the dish of plate scrapings we saved for the dog?" :-o :sick: DS had wondered why it was a bit spicy- it was because DDIL's dad uses a lot of tabasco.

snifflesmcg
08-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Looked them up on the internet. That is so DISGUSTING!

Me too.....EEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!! This thread is so gross yet fastinating!:sick::)

disneynarula
08-12-2007, 12:13 AM
I grew up in the north and had never had real Mexican food before. The first time I had a tamale I ate the cornhusk too. It was not good.

TheDuckRocks
08-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I have had 2 things that were just way over my comfort limit. The first was when we went to a very fou-fou French restaurant with a fixed menu. Now to many of you I know that escargot is not that odd of an item but I had never had them. Probably everything would have been fine if we had not spent the afternoon gardening and my kids had not been grossly collecting and destroying the snails. Having made up my mind that I would at least try everything that was served to me I actually got the little bugger in my mouth and then coul not, could NOT make myself swallow it. All dressed up, fancy restaurant, paying a fortune for the meal and I'm sitting there with a mouth ful of snail trying to remember the proper etiquette on how to gracefully extract said snail from mouth.:blush:
The other really awful thing I had was beef stroganoff at Bakers Square that tasted exactly like canned dog food smells. :sick: That lead to a mad dash to the restroom!

Dracula766
08-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Wow.

I can't really think of anything I wouldn't eat.

I've had brains, tongue, snails (stir fried were great), rattlesnake, alligator, ostrich, durian... it's all good :chef:

I'd like to try to make a rattlesnake chili but its like $50 for 1 snake. :eek:

You guys should watch Anthony Bourdain's shows or Bizzare Foods on travel channel. Now thats fun TV

SurferStitch
08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I can't watch "Bizarre Foods". I get totally :ill:.

The worst thing I've ever had is caviar. Yes, caviar. I had it once at V&A (so it was the best), and scooped up a spoonful into my mouth. It was so disgusting, but I wasn't about to spit it out, so I choked it down.

That one moment ended my desire to try something "tres chic" and considered to be high class cuisine. Way overrated. Tasted like fishy salt water encompassed in bursting gelatinous shells . :sick:

SBETigg
08-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I have had 2 things that were just way over my comfort limit. The first was when we went to a very fou-fou French restaurant with a fixed menu. Now to many of you I know that escargot is not that odd of an item but I had never had them. Probably everything would have been fine if we had not spent the afternoon gardening and my kids had not been grossly collecting and destroying the snails. Having made up my mind that I would at least try everything that was served to me I actually got the little bugger in my mouth and then coul not, could NOT make myself swallow it. All dressed up, fancy restaurant, paying a fortune for the meal and I'm sitting there with a mouth ful of snail trying to remember the proper etiquette on how to gracefully extract said snail from mouth.:blush:

Too funny! My DH spent summers in France as a kid, and he used to sell snails he picked off houses and out of gardens to local restaurants for escargot.

I happen to love weird food, escargot and frogs legs are favorites and the two things I was determined to get him to try on our honeymoon. Fortunately, we were in Disney, which put him in a great mood, and he was far too willing to please. He loved the escargot at Chefs de France, and didn't mind the frogs legs at the Empress Room(formerly at the Empress Lilly, now Fulton's).

The most vile thing I have ever eaten was a special caviar imported from Russia, a gift from a friend. Big red eggs, very salty, and it is the only thing I haven't been able to choke down. I had to spit it in the sink. Thank goodness I was home at the time. I've enjoyed other types of caviar, but not this one.

Ian
08-12-2007, 03:16 PM
My Grandfather was raised during the Depression and he and his Dad actually used to have to hunt and trap for extra meat for the family. Desperation lead them to eat pretty much anything ... possum, muskrat, squirrel, rabbit ... you name it.

That translated later in life to him eating ... pretty much anything! He'd eat frogs legs, pigs feet, sardines, anchovies, goose, rabbit, liver, etc. He also had a motto that you had to try something at least once before you can say you didn't like it.

He was a hunter and used to make my Grandmother cook whatever he bagged, so I was "fortunate" enough to get to try duck, goose, pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, and a host of other stuff there. In addition, he made me try things like turtle soup, sharkfin soup, oysters, clams, and all kinds of other yuckies.

But I gotta say, I think the worst for me was some caviar I had once. It was the most God-awful taste I've ever had in my mouth. Like pulling a trout out of a stream and just taking a big-ole, uncooked bite. BLECH! :sick: :ack: :sick:

Chipfan
08-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm the kind of person that will do anything for a reaction so when I was Senor in High School I was working at the Winter Carnival we had every year. Well I was working the redemption booth for goldfish and I thought this could be interesting so I grabbed a cup took out one of the goldfish and swallowed the thing whole still moving around as it was making its way down my throat. It was so gross but definitley made it worth it when I was grossing out everyone else.

crazypoohbear
08-12-2007, 05:19 PM
You people have had some REALLY gross things!
I think the worst I have tried was caviar, duck and dom perrion champagne.
The caviar was like a salt lick, the duck was stringy and gamy and the Dom tasted like Penicillin smells :sick:

As a kid we use to eat canned brown bread,
canned lasagna :confused: ( I know!)
Dinty Moore Beef Stew :ack:
But seeing what some others have had I guess this stuff is pretty mild

SurferStitch
08-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Okay, I feel much better now knowing I'm not the only one who almost gagged on caviar.:blush:

KCMom
08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I didn't eat this, but my DH did. Blood sausage in Germany. I felt so bad for him. He had ordered a plate with lots of different kinds of sausages. Most of them he really liked, and he was eating with gusto. The look on his face was really terrible. I didn't know what was wrong, but I was certain he was going to throw up right at the table. He held it together, but just barely. Stay away from it.

BrerGnat
08-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Tasted like fishy salt water encompassed in bursting gelatinous shells . :sick:

I would say caviar tastes like little balls of sweaty gym socks. :)

I tried some on a cruise and I couldn't even swallow it. I had to discreetly spit it out into my napkin. Never again!!! And why people pay SO much for it, I'll never understand.

However, the NASTIEST thing I've eaten was a piece of Friskies dry cat food (seafood mix flavor). I was about 13 and my little sister dared me to eat some. I ran to the bathroom and :ack: before I even swallowed it!

JanetMegan
08-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Pretty funny thread. Nastiest thing ever-Polenta. I hate it. I hate the way it tastes. I especially hate the way it feels in my mouth-BLECH!

DVC2004
08-13-2007, 08:25 AM
I hate raw oysters. I ordered steamed oysters once and they made a mistake and served them to me raw. I was looking at them, thinking these sure don't look steamed, then popped one in my mouth anyway- ew!:sick:
Slimy, gritty, cold! I guess you are supposed to just swallow them, which I tried to do. But my throat closed up. I ended up having to discreetly move them into my napkin. Yuck, never again.

MMouse6937
08-13-2007, 11:42 AM
This thread is cracking me up, not making me hungry for lunch! :D

Years ago after I had just moved her to NM I was at my roommate's parent's house and right after dinner her mom started cooking again. When I asked what she was making she said Menudo for breakfast tomorrow. Well that turns out to be pig endtrails and a whole bunch of really disgusting stuff. Well after smelling it "brewing" all night when we sat down for breakfast I couldn't do it. I was every shade of green.:sick: Her mother offered me some fruity pebbles, so while everyone was eating this gross stew for breakfast, I was enjoying my fruity pebbles!

offwego
08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Liver...ordinary calves liver I just cannot eat it.
Lord knows my mom made me try.
(and weirdly I may be one of the few on this thread that likes caviar but then I'm a saltaholic so that could be why).

Momof2boys
08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
We love watching Bizarre Foods !

I tried Boiled Peanuts while in the South and they were nasty. I couldn't get over the texture, talk about :ack:

I've also tried Blood Sausage. Thought it would be ok if I didn't look at it. Tastes just as bad with my eyes closed.

ElenitaB
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
A cookie made from the Durian Fruit :ack: It's aroma filled the room.
Even the guy from Bizarre Foods can't stand the durian fruit. I've only seen them and thought they might be interesting but I've now been sufficiently forewarned! :eek:

And that is probably for the best!

Some of the nastiest things I've ever eaten include:

Blood sausage in Spain
Turtle eggs in Central America
Sweetbreads (I do like those though)

Ian
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Anyone ever tried haggis? That's right up there ...

My Grandfather used to eat head cheese, too, but I drew the line at that one ... NO WAY I'm eating brains!!

Momof2boys
08-13-2007, 03:27 PM
My Grandfather used to eat head cheese, too, but I drew the line at that one ... NO WAY I'm eating brains!!

My father in law ate head cheese & really liked it. I almost :ack: the first time I saw him eat it.

ldn324
08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Hmm, I don't really eat a ton of animal, with the exception of seafood. But I guess the nastiest thing I ever had was octopus - sushi style. I thought I would be so cool eating it, but I ended up doing that little "oops, I must have something on my mouth" napkin spit take. I felt one of those sucker things on my tongue and that did it for me...yuck.

I've seen people eat things far worse than that though. The worst is the whole bone marrow thing. Someone told me one time how they loved to spread it on buttered bread. Actually, just typing this I think I threw up a little...:ack:

My #1 food rule is that I don't eat anything that at one time performed a bodily function. :mickey:

DisneyDog
08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, I love frogs legs and escargot. But, I'm thankfully allergic to gefilte fish. Everyone in my family and DH's family love it, and I just sit there and watch them all eat that gelatenous stuff it floats in. Ugh!! So gross. It smells like cat food.

Caroleh
08-13-2007, 04:30 PM
My MIL and BIL are vegans...which is fine with me...but my MIL makes this loaf that we call nut loaf...every time we visit. Let's just say we now invite them out to eat with us when we go to visit. I can eat veggies...I love vegies, just not nut loaf that you feel sitting in your stomach for days!!! Then there's the strawberry tufu cheesecake she made for us...I want the killer cheesecakes I make..3 packages of cream cheese and a cup of sour cream!!!!

Jasper
08-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Did you know that in addition to Mountain Oysters coming from cattle and hogs that you can also have turkey oysters? I live in the county that produces more turkeys and turkey products than any other county in the country so I have been exposed to them many times. Frankly, I don't think they are as terrible as most people do.

While I will eat just about anything my wife is much more timid about what she will put in her mouth. My wife had been dating about 3-4 months when I took her to my maternal grandparents and introduced her for the first time. ((They lived 75 miles away at the time so I didn't get there as often as I would have liked.) Anyway, my grandparents did live on a farm but ate things that would be considered fairly normal by anyones standard. Of course they decided to make an exception to that case at the meal they fed my future bride for her first meal with them. The day before my grandfather caught an oppossum in one of his traps and convinced my grandmother to serve it along with fried chicken.

Neither my wife nor I had any idea what we were eating but it certainly was the same size and similar in shape to the fried chicken. While we were eating it both of us thought it was decent tasting but knew that it didn't taste right for chicken. After dinner my grandmother spilled the beans and told us what we were eating.

Needless to say it took a few months before my wife would eat at my grandparents!!

Marilyn Michetti
08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Turkeys have mountain oysters?:D

Dracula766
08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
This thread is cracking me up, not making me hungry for lunch! :D

Years ago after I had just moved her to NM I was at my roommate's parent's house and right after dinner her mom started cooking again. When I asked what she was making she said Menudo for breakfast tomorrow. Well that turns out to be pig endtrails and a whole bunch of really disgusting stuff. Well after smelling it "brewing" all night when we sat down for breakfast I couldn't do it. I was every shade of green.:sick: Her mother offered me some fruity pebbles, so while everyone was eating this gross stew for breakfast, I was enjoying my fruity pebbles!

The Menudo I've always had was made with cow stomach not pig. I admit it smells really foul when cooking since it takes severeal hours to do so, BUT it goes down really good on a sunday morning with some cilantro , diced onions & a squeeze of lime juice. Especially when you've been out all night drinking heavily :wine:

Anyone ever tried haggis? That's right up there ...

Haggis is on my must do list if i ever get to cross the pond. I saw it on an episode of Bizarre foods and it looked tasty.

Hmm, I don't really eat a ton of animal, with the exception of seafood. But I guess the nastiest thing I ever had was octopus - sushi style. I thought I would be so cool eating it, but I ended up doing that little "oops, I must have something on my mouth" napkin spit take. I felt one of those sucker things on my tongue and that did it for me...yuck.

I've seen people eat things far worse than that though. The worst is the whole bone marrow thing. Someone told me one time how they loved to spread it on buttered bread. Actually, just typing this I think I threw up a little...:ack:

My #1 food rule is that I don't eat anything that at one time performed a bodily function. :mickey:

yumm, I haven't had bone marrow in years. my mom would put the bones in beef soup. We'd take the inch thick bone "rings" and scrape the salty jelly out of the middle then spread it on corn tortillas

seriously, i'm getting hungry :D

disneydeb
08-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Turkeys have mountain oysters?:D

Only Tom turkeys! :D

Marilyn Michetti
08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Maybe we should move this thread up to Accomodations and title it SOG.:D

drummerboy
08-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Anybody ever tried a not-quite-ripe persimmon?

alpro2
08-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Anybody ever tried a not-quite-ripe persimmon?
Yes! The inside of your cheecks feel great don't they? :sick:

mrsgaribaldi
08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
The shrimp cocktails that come in the little glass containers with the lids. The shrimp look like large maggots.

TINKERBELL_82
08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
The shrimp cocktails that come in the little glass containers with the lids. The shrimp look like large maggots.

:sick: I used to like those things!! :(

I used to absolutely love raw oysters. I ate them all the time. One day I ordered a dozen, squeezed my lemon on them, and right as I took my fork and lifted the first one out of the shell, I noticed something...squiggling??? :( It was A WORM!!!!:sick:

I have never been able to look at another oyster.

Mufasa
08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
I've encountered many strange foods in all the travel I've done- and often you have to at least try something in order to not offend your hosts.

The one thing I just couldn't handle has been Durian- even if you can get past the smell, it's the texture which will make you want to :ack:

I can remember that I think it was the summer after 5th grade when I was chosen to attend a special program where they had kids as representatives from all across the country gather and take part in a discussion and summit about the future and issues we might face.

One of the books I remember we read and discussed quite a bit was "The Kid's Whole Future Catalog" which now looking back at it was a great book (ironically was put out in 1982- the same year as Epcot opened and also as a big part of the introduction or dedication was to Buckminster Fuller who came up with the term Spaceship Earth)

Anyway, one of the sections of the book dealth with future foods and there was a lot of attention put on insects and worms in particular as good sources of protein and potential food sources in the future. Well, that's nice except it included a recipe for making chocolate chip worm cookies and of course that was one of the activities we did as part of this program.

We took about 15 worms- small to medium sized worms because they're apparently more tender and cleaned them well and then boiled them first to cook them thoroughly (which was pretty gross because when they hit the water they turned white and immediately resembled ordinary spaghetti).

Then just cut them up and added them to a batch of regular chocolate chip cookie dough and baked them and otherwise you wouldn't know that these cookies had bits of worm in them- they sort of looked like regular, white chocolate chip cookies and really didn't have much of any taste to them.

None of the kids were forced to eat them but I of course had to try them for the gross out factor and it really wasn't a big deal.

ElenitaB
08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Okay, did anyone see Bizarre Foods (or was it No Reservations) last night (the one about Viet Nam)? I was fine until they got to the monkey coffee :ack:

January-2007
08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh my gosh this thread makes me :sick: One of my brothers used to eat fermented tofu and the other one would microwave kimche in the middle of the night and man does that stuff reak when you're trying to sleep. I think I must have blocked out anything I've tried that's uber discusting, 'cause I'm drawing a blank... The grossest thing I can think of is instant pudding. Ick. I actually don't mind squid even when it looks like baby octopi. I could never eat frogs legs, makes me think of the Muppet Movie, I just can't eat Kermit, it's just plain wrong. :ill:

BlueDorrie
08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a pretty open mind when it comes to food and there really isn't much I don't like. I will not try raw oysters (or clams), blood sausage, haggis and you guessed it, durian.

When I was growing up fresh durian was never sold in any of the NYC Chinatown groceries, only the frozen stuff or the various "flavored" biscuits, cookies and candies. Well, my mother had to make me try a packet of the durian flavored cream filled wafers. I smelled those wafers even before she opened the package, truly gag inducing. The smell is as nasty as people say it is. The closest I can come to describing the smell is a cross between very sweaty rotten sweat socks and the smelliest rotten cheese. So you can imagine the difficulty tasting the "smell" and trying to swallow without throwing up. Just remembering the incident makes me feel :ack:.

ldn324
08-15-2007, 01:58 PM
I have a pretty open mind when it comes to food and there really isn't much I don't like. I will not try raw oysters (or clams), blood sausage, haggis and you guessed it, durian.

When I was growing up fresh durian was never sold in any of the NYC Chinatown groceries, only the frozen stuff or the various "flavored" biscuits, cookies and candies. Well, my mother had to make me try a packet of the durian flavored cream filled wafers. I smelled those wafers even before she opened the package, truly gag inducing. The smell is as nasty as people say it is. The closest I can come to describing the smell is a cross between very sweaty rotten sweat socks and the smelliest rotten cheese. So you can imagine the difficulty tasting the "smell" and trying to swallow without throwing up. Just remembering the incident makes me feel :ack:.

I've been so curious about the whole durian fruit thing and now that they sell them in Chinatown, every trip into the city, I'm so tempted to buy one but I just don't do it. I'd rather try a little piece already cut up but I imagine that if the grocers did that, they would NEVER sell any of it :blush:.

yumm, I haven't had bone marrow in years. my mom would put the bones in beef soup. We'd take the inch thick bone "rings" and scrape the salty jelly out of the middle then spread it on corn tortillas

seriously, i'm getting hungry :D

UGGGH, I'm feeling rather green right now. :sick: All I can say is, more to go around for you! LOL

BlueDorrie
08-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been so curious about the whole durian fruit thing and now that they sell them in Chinatown, every trip into the city, I'm so tempted to buy one but I just don't do it. I'd rather try a little piece already cut up but I imagine that if the grocers did that, they would NEVER sell any of it :blush:.

Actually there are afficianados of the stuff. My SIL loves durian and she will eat it fresh or frozen. Besides the smell, the textural component leaves a lot to be desired, i.e. slimy. You either love it or hate it, there's no middle ground with this fruit.

If you want a prime example of the love - hate, catch the episode of No Reservations - Indonesia and Bizarre Foods - New York. Tony Bourdain LOVES the stuff while Andrew Zimmern hates it. Zimmern has tried the stuff twice, once I think in some country in SE Asia and the NY episode.

meloneyb21
08-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Ugh! What a thread :ill:...lol

I haven't really eaten anything gross in my lifetime, that I can remember. Stuff like that I just never have the guts to try. I have a fear of being sick and missing out on something so I usuallly just go for what I know. Although I absolutely love Bizarre Foods w/ Andrew Zimmern. I still can't get over that episode where he ate those boiled duck eggs with the poor dead duck still in it. Grossed out wasn't the word :sick:.

ldn324
08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Anthony Bourdain I love - even when he eats nasty stuff, he never really rubs it in your face. Plus, he's funny. Andrew Zimmern on the other hand - I just simply cannot handle watching his show. I realize those foods are customs in other countries and they probably think we're odd for eating things we eat in the US, but I just can't stomach it.

Back before Andrew Zimmern had his own show, he did a special on odd foods in Asia - maybe it was Thailand or Singapore... Anyway, there were some nasty things on that show. The bird nest soup, blood clot pudding/soup stuff - that one definitely made me gag, some bat dung stuff...I'm all for ethnic cuisine, but I really draw the line with stuff like that.

Hmm, suddenly things like liver and onions doesn't seem so odd :confused: I'm still not gonna eat it, it just seems a little more normal after thinking about those bizzare foods shows ;)

Stitchahula
08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Well I have to agree with my sister crazypoohbear about the canned food but she left out the spam. We had it every way imaginable. I also have forbidden my monster (mother)in laws meat stuffing or meat pie in my house. Not only does it taste horrible but it smells as bad as it tastes and stinks up the house.

I grew up hearing about one sister when my dad got transferred to I think France she picked snails off the stonewall and started eating them, shells and all because she heard they ate snails in france. Not the brightest bulb.

Mousefever
08-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Yes, Spam is gross, but I actually like brown bread in a can. Had it a couple of weekends ago.

I went to the Soviet Union in 1988 with a group of other students. One of the places we went was Khasakstan. In our hotel we were served (as usual) some cold sausage before the rest of the meal came. I was very hungry that day, but there was an unusual, if familiar odor coming from the sausage. I ate a few bites anyway, before I realized that I was smelling the same odor as the dog food we gave our dogs at home. Horse meat! I, of course, couldn't eat another bite, especially since we owned horses as pets.

:dory:

missbunny
08-19-2007, 05:33 PM
My dad is from the mountains of West Virginia and will eat most anything. When my sister and I were younger, he would come back from hunting trips and have something cooking on the stove. We would eat a little before he would tell us it was bear, squirrel, dear, possum, rabbit, or what ever else he caught.
When my mom first visted the in-laws, she went to my Uncle Hugh and Aunt Nina 's farm. The farm was from the 18th century with an outhouse, well water, no electricity and all sorts of critters raised for food. My mom grew up in the Bronx and only knew food come from the corner market.
My aunt asked her what she wanted for dinner. My mom said real southern fried chicken. My aunt went outside to the barn. My mom followed thinking there was a freezer there. My aunt grabbed a chicken, put it over a stump and picked up the axe. After removing the head, she let the blood drain. My mom ran out to the outhouse and well, :ack: After that she was afraid to ask for anything else.
I love watching No Reservations and another one of my favorite is Dinner Impossible. I also love Good Eats.

crazypoohbear
08-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Nuf said :sick::sick::sick::sick::ack::ack::ack:
to me they look like dead green worms

Ariel_Fan
08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
So, I had to take a business trip to Cordoba, Argentina. I had told some of my coworkers that I will try anything and in Argentina, they have the BEST beef. Its so tender and delicious. We ate at a cute place in one of the neighboring hill towns and two of my coworkers got the complete BBQ. Half of the table knew spanish and the other half didn't. I just know enough to be dangerous. The complete BBQ had lots of interesting stuff on it....they had me try some since I'll try anything once. I had cow intestine (which is just very chewy) and I had marcilla (blood sausage, black pudding, etc). That just about turned my stomach inside out! They were even nice enough to take a picture of me when I took a bite and shared it with the rest of my coworkers. I don't believe I'll make the mistake of eating it again. :ack:

meloneyb21
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, Spam is gross, but I actually like brown bread in a can. Had it a couple of weekends ago. :dory:

WHAT THE HECK IS "BROWN BREAD IN A CAN"?!?!?!

:sick::sick:

jennbunn
08-21-2007, 01:21 AM
when i was a kid my uncle would make his sunday morning breakfest which was eggs,hot dogs,cheese and spam. just the look of it was :sick:

mrsgaribaldi
08-21-2007, 02:58 AM
My aunt asked her what she wanted for dinner. My mom said real southern fried chicken. My aunt went outside to the barn. My mom followed thinking there was a freezer there. My aunt grabbed a chicken, put it over a stump and picked up the axe. After removing the head, she let the blood drain. My mom ran out to the outhouse and well, :ack: After that she was afraid to ask for anything else.
I love watching No Reservations and another one of my favorite is Dinner Impossible. I also love Good Eats.

Oh no, your poor mother:( I would have been devastated. I prefer not to know my food too.

Dracula766
08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
any of you ever eat a military MRE?

To test your mettle I'd recommend the Frankfurters affectionately reffered to as The Four Fingers of Death :thedolls:

Spaceship Tigger
08-22-2007, 11:05 AM

Having now just come off of my second trip there, I can understand. Some of my not-so-favorites:

Chicken cartilage
Raw octopus
Squid
Eel pancakes
Scallops with feet attached
Whole fish with heads and full of eggs
Cow stomach
Boiled, unsalted peanuts

k_reile
08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
When DH and I were in Germany...we ate at a little Greek resturant and I ordered grilled shrimp and french fries. Well I did not know that in european countries...their eyes are still on the shrimp. Needless to say, I could not eat them because I do not want my food looking at me. DH also ate ostrich that trip which he said was actually pretty good...I was not about to try it since I am a picky eater.