PDA

View Full Version : "Back to back" cruises

buzz638
08-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Hello everyone,

Did someone ever did the "back to back" cruises ? DW and i are thinking about it, it's our dream:mickey:
Like to hear about your experience, is 2 weeks too long ? Did you get the same room ? same servers ? Do they threat you like new passengers on the second week or you don't have to go through the whole process on embarking ?

Thank you very much...

TammiMcMan
08-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I've never done it, but it sounds wonderful. You'd see the eastern Caribbean one week, then the western the next week.

As far as some of the logistical items, when you book a cruise, you can normally choose a stateroom, so you can ensure that you are in the same one on both cruises. I'm also sure it would be no problem to request the same servers if you'd like to do that. Just stop by guest services at some point during your first cruise. What I'm not sure of, is whether you'll need to disembark. I think that is going to depend on the customs agent.

Ed
08-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Re: getting the same servers, remember that crew members work on a "rotation" basis; for example, a server might work three straight cruises, then be off the ship for the next week or two, replaced by someone else. (I don't know the exact schedule, but I'm sure you get the idea.)

On our last 7-night cruise, our servers, both of whom were from the Phillipines, told us that they had worked several weeks in a row (and remember that they work 7 days a week, serving all three meals), but were heading home for a few weeks before their next assigned cruises.

I've wondered the same thing about taking back-to-back cruises; I'll be curious to see if anybody knows the authoritative answer.

I suspect you would be required to leave the ship and clear Customs before embarking for the second cruise.

Chipfan
08-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I believe that you have to disembark after the first cruise and then embark again. I've worked debark a few times and there are always a few people that we say goodbye to and they say that they are leaving and then getting ready to turn around and come right back on.

As far as same servers it shouldn't be a problem as long as they aren't going on vacation following your first cruise. Normally servers work a five to six month contract if not longer so odds are pretty good you could get the same servers for both cruises.

Hope this helps

thejens
08-12-2007, 10:19 PM
My mom is doing that very thing right now on another cruise line back and for between New York and Bermuda. She is doing 3 weeks total and called me today after two weeks. She is LOVING it. She keeps the same room and is being doted on by all the staff and treated like a VIP. Extra snacks in the evening, cocktails with the Captain, etc. She says the disembark/embarkment day is the best because they stay on the boat and have the whole boat to themselves. I have no idea what it is like on the Disney Cruise. She is surprised by the little extra perks. I must say, I envy her!!

buzz638
08-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Thank you everyone for your help.:thumbsup:

If we have the chance and of course the $$$$
to do it i'll post a very complete trip report for you all.:mickey:

ElenitaB
08-13-2007, 03:01 PM
On DCL at Port Canaveral, as Chipfan says, you do have to debark and then embark again.

An alternative if you don't want to get off only to get on again, is to take a relocation cruise, such as when the Magic sailed to Europe earlier this summer (and is returning later this week) or to the West Coast next summer (two weeks through the Canal in May... the return trip in August is sold out).

Whatever you do, we'd love to hear all about it! :mickey: