PDA

View Full Version : Possibly our last "Family" vacation final thoughts

JRocker
08-10-2007, 07:49 AM
We had a great time on this trip. If you haven't been to Disneyland I highly recommend that you pay a visit.

I mentioned in an earlier post about the attitudes of the cast members. Since emotion is difficult to communicate in the message board environment I think I need to make sure you understand my own attitude before I get into the cast members attitudes.

I don't let anything ruin my vacations. I blew a transmission in the van a couple of years ago on vacation, and we had a great time on that trip, so something as small as a frowning cast member doesn't get me fired up. I am just sharing a sociological observation from my short three day tour of the parks.

For the most part, the cast members at the Disneyland Resort weren't as friendly or welcoming as the cast members at the Disney World Resort. Smiles were really infrequent among the cast members working the rides and at the park entry. My wife said it took away a little of the "magic". I can't say that I noticed that part, but it was an interesting observation.

One direct comparison I can make involves those buttons you can pick up at City Hall. In February my wife and I picked up a couple for our anniversary.
Throughout Walt Disney World cast members of every level congratulated us on our anniversary. At Disneyland four of us were able to wear "first visit" buttons, we picked these up late in the afternoon of our first day. One cast member mentioned it to us the entire trip, one. This was a huge difference.

Over the years I have really come to expect a lot from the cast members. In most of my experience at the World, they treat you like they are genuinely happy to see you. I never got that feeling at Disneyland. Good, bad,or indifferent...just an observation.

Anywho, enough of that.

Disneyland itself was a fun park. When you look at the park map the first thing you think is "been there, done that...in Orlando". That is simply not true.

Most of the attractions do share names and themes with those on the other coast, but do not assume they are the same experiences. There was something at each attraction that differed from its' Orlando counterpart. While the parks are similar, the experiences are different enough to warrant a trip out to California. So if you are on the fence about going....do it.

California Adventure had an unfinished feel to me. Not to mention a lack of character (or characters). It's almost like they wanted to make a park that wasn't Disney (at least parts of it). If I wanted a non Disney park, I would have gone down the road to Knotts.

The Backlot was nice, but I still couldn't shake that something is missing feel.
Maybe a lack of street performers on the days we were there?

Other than King Neptunes carousel, Paradise Pier was void of any Disney feeling.
Now I'm not saying the rides weren't fun, because we had a blast over there.
But come on, the name of the park is Disney's California Adventure...gimme some Disney with that adventure.
I really think they are missing an opportunity with Grizzly River. This looks like a perfect spot to plant Goofy and his boys on some fishing expedition.

And not to mention the queues for a lot of the attractions. Definately not done well at all....Did they hire Six Flags to set up these cattle runs? Where were the Imagineers for this stuff?

Maybe it's not lack of characters (I do love EPCOT), but something is missing....
I really did enjoy the park and the rides and would definately visit it again.
But, it does need something.

I like the way Downtown Disney is laid out. A lot of places to sit, relax, and people watch. The one dissapointment was that you couldn't buy almost anything found in the parks at DTD, like you can at Disney World's DTD. We had to go back into Disneyland to get a Tinkerbell item that my daughter wanted and a couple of other trinkets not found in DTD. Really not a bad thing, but I got used to being able to browse in the parks and then buy everything at once at DTD in the World.

The entire visit was great and we will do it again someday. The crowds were nowhere near what they are in Orlando this time of year, which makes for a pleasant easy going day.
Now I have to plan my next visit to WDW with just me wifey.

disneydrmr
08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Well, I hope the cast members take their happy pills in time for my trip in November... they really do add or subtract from the magic of one's visit! Thanks again for sharing your trip... I've enjoyed reading your reports!

Maleficent's Dad
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

I noticed a lot of similarities in what you wrote to what I experienced a month ago. The parks are great - especially DLP. But the CM's are lacking a bit (sorry to all you out there who want to strangle me, it's just my opinion and I agree with JR!).

We did like DCA - primarily due to the lack of crowds - but I completely understand what you mean about the queues and lack of "Disney" in the park.

NotaGeek
08-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your reports, and glad to see all the comparisons and opinions! I am never really bothered by the CMs, but I do think that the face characters and talent are much better at DLR with the Hollywood unemployed actor pool to fish from ... I have also been disappointed before when visiting DLR on my birthday and I keep count of the "happy birthdays" I get and most are from other park goers. :nono:

Because of this I make it a point to say "Happy Birthday!" with gusto to anyone wearing the button or sticker!

Lizzie
08-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all your reports!

ChipnDaleGal
08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds like your family really appreciated what Disneyland has to offer. It is such a great park. I guess I have never personally noticed anything less friendly about the CA cast members over their FL counterparts, but I am glad that it wasn't enough of an issue to detract from your trip. Thanks for the reports, I enjoyed them all. :mickey: