PDA

View Full Version : Alone in WDW

Dreamer14
08-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I booked a trip to WDW on August 21-24 and the person I was going with decided to cancel on me. So I'm trying to find someone else to go but if I can't, I'm going by myself. I'm not going to give up a trip to WDW.

So my question is... has anyone done WDW alone?

Are there any advantages? such as a "single rider" line?

or does anyone want to go with me? :)

mouseketeer mom
08-09-2007, 09:40 PM
No, I haven't been alone. I have to say tho, it sounds like an amazing adventure. Just go where the wind takes you and enjoy. I bet you have a terrific time on your own. What a safe place to be by yourself, and I bet you get extra attention if CM's notice you are alone.
By the way, I'm heading up to your neck of the woods the week you are in WDW. To Smugglers Notch resort in VT. for one last vacation blast before school begins again.
Go and enjoy yourself. Don't give up the trip!

iheartmickey
08-09-2007, 09:45 PM

I can't go with you, but maybe head over to 'meets' and see if anyone is going to be there while your there. You could at least hook up (with someone from here) for a meal and some rides. That way you won't be alone the whole time.

I wish I could go ... I would in a heart beat, but I HAVE to work. :( I'd much rather be in WDW!
Go and have fun regardless! :thumbsup:

Donalds Duckie
08-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I go to WDW solo all the time! I'm going solo again Aug. 31-Sept. 4 for an extended Labor Day weekend:mickey:

Going solo allows you to design the trip to your liking. You set the pace, as busy or as relaxed as you want. You can maneuver the parks very quickly solo, take advantage of single rider lines, you can easily find a good solo spot for a parade or fireworks at the last minute, you can ride favorite attractions multiple times, you can stop to shop, grab a beverage or a snack, head back to resort for breaks, etc. whenever and wherever you like. If you set an itinerary you can change your mind at any time and do something else.

I find I actually SEE a lot more of the parks, resorts, rides, and attractions visiting WDW solo than when I travel with friends or family and engrossed in conversation or keeping up with the group. I find CMs very friendly and chat with me whenever they can.

Solo dining is fun too! I never have trouble finding ADRs for one and because I'm the only one at the table I get great service from the waitstaff.

Gosh, I could go on and on. I enjoy WDW as much solo as with travel companions. It's not easy to find friends and family that want to go to Disney. So, I go by myself and have a blast!

So, even if your friend cannot go with you, go for it solo and have a magical trip!

Let us know how it goes!

DisneyGRL7
08-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I never have but i would love to do a solo trip sometime. I find that when Ive gone w/ friends in the past I've just been concerned that they were enjoying themselves even though Disney really takes care of that! Anyways, i bet you'll have a really great time. Enjoy!!

BelleKP
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm traveling Aug 24-29 . . . too bad our trips don't overlap more, or I would make time to hook up with you! :sadwave:
I say go it alone . . . my original plan this trip was to do it alone, but my BestF ended up having a pretty tough year, so I invited her along. Don't regret my decision, but I will definitely go it alone at some point in my life!
Have a great trip! :mickey:

wedway fan
08-09-2007, 11:39 PM
did the MK alone on a one-day trip a few years back- it was awesome. in retrospect, i think it would have been a great idea to have done the keys to the kingdom tour. but it was still fun to do the whole park on my own pace, talk to cast members, and pretty much eat my way through every land!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I booked a trip to WDW on August 21-24 and the person I was going with decided to cancel on me. So I'm trying to find someone else to go but if I can't, I'm going by myself. I'm not going to give up a trip to WDW.

I'm going solo in September! Just booked it in full yesterday in fact - everything is paid for. Same situation - a friend backed out on me.

Looking forward to it now though - plan on doing what I want, when I want, HOW I want! And will be hitting up PI for a few of the evenings as well.

You'll have a blast - how can you NOT....its Disney! :mickey: Let me know how it goes!!

Chris :hatter:

snowflakegirl
08-10-2007, 12:26 AM
I haven't done WDW alone, but I did find myself with a few hours of alone time one morning and one evening when I was in Disneyland last year. It was some of my favorite time spent in Disneyland that trip. I was able to move quickly when I needed to to get somewhere, but I was also able to stop and smell the roses, so to speak, whenever I wanted to. I spent a little while sitting on a bench people watching and just soaking in the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with friends/family, but I saw enough to know that I plan on doing a solo trip at some point in the future and just see where the trip takes me. Enjoy! :mickey:

BronxTigger
08-10-2007, 06:31 AM
I'm going solo August 18-22. Well, my friend is a CM and I'll be seeing her a bit, but otherwise I'm on my own. This will be my first solo trip, but last year I spent a morning on my own in the MK (DH wanted to sleep in, so we compromised!), and it was great. I got to do what I wanted, when I wanted, etc. I did get a bit lonely but I met a bunch of people on the queues and even in the restaurants. I'm looking forward to it! PM me if you want to hang out for part of the time our trips overlap.

Gottaluvgoof
08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
I can't say I have ever been there alone. Heck, I hardly ever get to be at home alone! With 4 kids, a DH, 3 dogs, and a cat, I don't know what alone is :D

Wish I could go along, but my trip is not far behind yours. Not thinking the DH would go for that one. I hope you have a great time. I would think you would probably make lots of friends in all the lines.

CaptainSad
08-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm going alone Dec 16th - 23rd. I can't wait. I have it all planned out. I even have tickets for two nights at the MVMCP on the 18th and 21st. I am going to hit my favorite rides over and over and over and over. You get the picture....

Rich

jakeybake
08-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I have never gone alone, but I have always secretly (shhhh don't ever tell DW that I said this!!) dreamt of having a day alone in each park.

Don't get me wrong, I love going with my wife and children but I have always wanted to be able to go at my own breakneck pace and not have to hold back for anyone.

Being a dad I am usually the one that concedes for the good of the family!!!

Jay

True Disney Fan
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
:secret:I'll be doing the solo trip, for the first time,Nov.12-21st. Have always,for over 25 years, had family or friends with me.

i like the idea of being at my own pace and doing things when I am ready. I love going with family and friends,esp. watching their excitement and the grandchildren's responses. This will be a new experience and I think that I am going to make the best of it..:mickey:

kurt
08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
i've done WDW alone last few trips. i really enjoy going by myself. it allows me to set my own schedule. occsionally getting pulled to the front of the line on rides.:number1: it also allows me to rest up during the day:number1:

Dreamer14
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I had an amazing time while alone in WDW. I went to MK and EPCOT and it was fantastic. I did what I wanted to do and it made the day perfect. Thank you everyone for your advice and information.

I recommend going by yourself at some point in your life.

like2workout
08-29-2007, 08:57 AM
dreamer14, i've had the exact same thing happen to me. i almost didn't go, but then decided why let that stop me. i had always been with family and the first day was a little different not having them around, but after that, i got into the groove of things and it was great. so i say go and have a GREAT time! i ended up meeting more people than i would have otherwise that way too. you're going to do fine.

sportsguy2315
08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Disney alone is not as bad as you'd think, mostly because of the fact that you can choose to do what you want when you want, and single rider lines cut down the wait so much!

PlutoToo
08-29-2007, 10:25 AM
I've done single days at the parks when my DH wasn't feeling well. It was lots of fun and really nice to do exactly what I wanted to do. I could slow down and take photos and look at the theming I normally wouldn't have seen. I could speed up and hit only the things I wanted to ride or see. I could see the live shows he doesn't care for. Eat what and where I wanted. It's always fun to share the magic with others, it's a different kind of magic to see it alone.

DVC2004
08-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I was in the area on business for quite a length of time earlier this summer and I often went alone to the parks, to DTD and to many restaurants. It was fine- I had a nice time and did what I want, ate where I wanted to etc. I say go and enjoy. I never felt wierd or out of place.

Simba's Mom
08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

I've gone solo about 8 times, and I'm going again September 4. The only single riders line I can think of is TT. Even when I go with DH, we use that line since we don't mind being in separate cars. For some, it takes a while to get used to sit-down dining solo. For my first several solo trips, I almost always ate Counter Serve-the rare times I used TS, I felt odd. But now I'm OK with it. A solo trip is great!

DisneyKim22
08-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I had this happen to me a few years ago. I was going to meet my friend from another state there - and she had her boyfriend call me an hour before she was supposed to arrive at the airport to say she changed her mind!! It should be no surprise that we're not friends anymore (she also stuck me with the cost of her 6-day parkhopper ticket and share of hotel).

However, it turned out to be a FANTASTIC trip! I was able to secure a spot on the Backstage Tour (which I LOVED). No one ever wanted to go on it with me on my other trips. I never once felt lonely. Plus, despite the fact that I had been there many times before, I was able to take my time and discover things I never noticed before. I met so many wonderful people because I would strike up more conversations with strangers while in lines or waiting for parades, etc.

I doubt that you will regret going solo if that is what you decide. Have fun!!!

2Epcot
08-29-2007, 02:05 PM

I've had the same thing happen to me on a couple of trips I planned. Either people canceled just before the trip, or I had a hard time finding someone who could go when I wanted to go.

The trips I did by myself were great, I had a good time. If you have never done some of the long tours like Backstage Magic, being solo is a good time to do them.

I can't go with you, but maybe head over to 'meets' and see if anyone is going to be there while your there.

I was going to suggest the same thing. It's nice to have Intercot where you can go to this section and see the people who are traveling the same time you are. I wish Intercot was around, or I knew about it, during some of my earlier solo trips.

tomatoe pie
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
if i had known i could have scheduled a trip to be there at the same time.

i have never scheduled a "me, myself, and i" trip to wdw but i have arranged to stay a day after the other family members left. i did enjoy my time alone. it was different but very relaxing and pleasant. not as much rushing around. by now you are back home. i hope you enjoyed the trip. how could you not? after all it is disney and mickey :mickey: (or minnie:minnie2:) was your date!!!!!::thumbsup:

murphy1
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Lots of Florida residents do, I did when I used to go to Orlando from Tampa and wanted to go for just a little while or eat dinner there. Just think when you are at home, you would go to the park or mall by yourself, it's the same when you live near the mouse.

jclightchasr
08-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I go to WDW solo all the time! I'm going solo again Aug. 31-Sept. 4 for an extended Labor Day weekend:mickey:

Going solo allows you to design the trip to your liking. You set the pace, as busy or as relaxed as you want. You can maneuver the parks very quickly solo, take advantage of single rider lines, you can easily find a good solo spot for a parade or fireworks at the last minute, you can ride favorite attractions multiple times, you can stop to shop, grab a beverage or a snack, head back to resort for breaks, etc. whenever and wherever you like. If you set an itinerary you can change your mind at any time and do something else.

I find I actually SEE a lot more of the parks, resorts, rides, and attractions visiting WDW solo than when I travel with friends or family and engrossed in conversation or keeping up with the group. I find CMs very friendly and chat with me whenever they can.

Solo dining is fun too! I never have trouble finding ADRs for one and because I'm the only one at the table I get great service from the waitstaff.

Gosh, I could go on and on. I enjoy WDW as much solo as with travel companions. It's not easy to find friends and family that want to go to Disney. So, I go by myself and have a blast!

So, even if your friend cannot go with you, go for it solo and have a magical trip!

Let us know how it goes!

I went solo once and I found all this to be true however I did find myself wishing for a sweetheart to enjoy all the fun and romantic sites. But if you don't mind being alone you will have a blast.

ncscgirl2005
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I have never gone alone, but I have always secretly (shhhh don't ever tell DW that I said this!!) dreamt of having a day alone in each park.

Don't get me wrong, I love going with my wife and children but I have always wanted to be able to go at my own breakneck pace and not have to hold back for anyone.

Being a dad I am usually the one that concedes for the good of the family!!!

Jay

:party: LOL! That sounds exactly like the answer I was going to post. The only exception is that I am a mom and I ALWAYS concedes for the good of the family!!!!!!!!

I am secretely planning a solo trip (only in my head right now) for about 5 years from now when DDs will be pretty self-sufficient being left along with DH.

WDWgoofy
08-30-2007, 10:20 PM
In March, this year I was to attend a seminar in Tampa so of course I had to go to WDW.

This was my first solo trip; it was enjoyable and I will do this again. Different than with the family and not as much fun, but you can do whatever you want, whenever you want at the speed that you want to go.

For instance, I truly enjoy Off-Kilter and one day I enjoyed 3 performances.

On another day I rode RnRC 6 six times in a row back-to-back-to-back....

I took time to visit Tom Sawyer Island, watch the fountain in Future World. A really fun time!:mickey:

DawsonAR
08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
I have been to Disney on business several times. During these trips, I go to the parks alone. It is a different experience but a very enjoyable experience. I get to spend as much time doing what I want whenever I want. I love to spend extra time shopping and just watching the faces of all the kids in the parks.