PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Shopping

ShelbyAD
08-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Am I the only one who has started thinking about shopping for Christmas already?

I haven't actually bought anything, but have been looking around and will start to put together a Christmas List (gifts & cards) soon.

I've mostly been looking at stocking stuffers. I think the girls will be getting more stocking stuffers than "main" gifts.

We're doing ALOT of remodeling/renovations on the house and $$$ will be thin this year for Christmas. The girls understand.

disneydrmr
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Nope, you aren't the only one...I usually start looking around this time of year also.. try to catch some of the clearance toys (hey - even summer themed toys can make good christmas gifts)... we are down to about 4 months you know!

offwego
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Nope no gifts yet. Does hiding wine in the basement for the family invasion count?

DVC2004
08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't start even thinking about it until the end of September. I like to have my shopping done before Thanksgiving, but there's always something that comes out later that the kids want that I end up picking up. My goal every year is not to have to walk into a toy store after Thanksgiving through New Years Day.;)

Mickey'sGirl
08-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I bought a gift for DS3 last month, and a gift for my new nephew from the boys yesterday, and gifts for DS3's Nursery teachers as well. I do bits and pieces as I see them. (Nat -- I'll take some of your wine if you want to hide it here...:D)

BronxTigger
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I used to do my shopping in December when I lived in a smaller town. However, Christmas shopping in NYC is a nightmare, so I've already started my Christmas shopping for this year and plan to finish all of it by Thanksgiving.

Scar
08-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I haven't even started thinking about last year's yet. ;)

offwego
08-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I bought a gift for DS3 last month, and a gift for my new nephew from the boys yesterday, and gifts for DS3's Nursery teachers as well. I do bits and pieces as I see them. (Nat -- I'll take some of your wine if you want to hide it here...:D)

Uh...thanks I think but I should be able to hide it from DH on my own.

Since we still buy for all the adults I need the wine to recover from the shopping parts.

DizNee143
08-09-2007, 03:33 PM
i have started to think about it...everyone is getting way less than what i usually give..but if i want to at least get everyone a little something...i have start soon..its the only way i can afford it...
only 138 days to christmas!!! :tree:

bleukarma
08-09-2007, 04:04 PM
I have started thinking about Christmas shopping this year, but I haven’t bought anything. I’ve decided that only my immediate family is going to get a gift from me this year and I’m not going to buy for my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. It’s just too much family which = too much money!!! They do a pool where they pick one name and only have to buy for that person but they haven’t put me in it since I’m not married so I’m expected to give a gift to everyone. I’m just going to tell everyone to not buy me anything because I’m not giving gifts (except for my parents and my brother) this year. I just bought a new car (my old one was getting ready to leave me stranded on the side of the road!) and with the higher payment plus the higher insurance, money is tight!

I think I have decided that instead of buying my mom and dad something individual I’m going to give them both one gift to share. I’m hoping to find a nice, luxury sheet set on sale + my discount at JC Penney’s for them.
:santa3:

crazypoohbear
08-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Nope no gifts yet. Does hiding wine in the basement for the family invasion count?

Are we related??? :D
I'm not even hiding it. I think I'll start drinking it now to be prepared.:marg:

IloveDisney71
08-09-2007, 09:27 PM
I usually don't start shopping this early, but we are going to Disney in Dec. and will be there until the 20th. I know if I don't get my shopping done early, I'll be out of luck! So I have already started shopping for my family and only have my two kids left and then I'll be done. Now I just have to remember where I've put everything! :funny::santa3:

Flower
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Toys R Us had a good sale on a few weeks back so I bought Battleship for my friends 2 boys and Brandon the singing Spider Man.

Presents will be light this year and mostly stuff for the kids. I think we may head to Florida to spend Christmas at our in-laws, so presents will be minimal anyway as the $$ will go towards our trip!:santa3:

BRJARE3
08-09-2007, 10:22 PM
I have three children and my oldest turns 5 Dec. 1st. We are leaving for Disney Black Friday. I have already bought a lot of toys for them and have them all in the attic. I bought a lot of summer gardening tools when Target had them for 75$ off. They love to help me and now they have their own tools. I hate shopping in Dec., especially because we have to get our oldest daughter birthday as well as Christmas within 24 days.

conorsmom2000
08-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I've started thinking about it, but that's about it! :D I'm kind of up in the air on what to do this year - Conor really, really wants the Wii (he's played it at his cousins house)...but, I'm not sure. :confused: He'll be almost 8 by Christmas but I don't know too much about it, so I need to see what ages the games are geared towards. Also, I'm not sure if he's old enough to understand if he gets something like that, it takes up a big chunk of what Santa would leave him..... (he still appreciates quantity vs. quality! :D ) So, that's my big decision this year - and of course, Mike is no help, as he'd love a Wii in the house! :mickey:

snowflakegirl
08-10-2007, 01:37 AM
I've been thinking about it and actually have a couple of gifts already. Picked my mother-in-law up a couple of things from Yankee Candle during their semi-annual clearance sale (I also work there part time so a lot of my gifts end up being from there). Picked my sister-in-law up a couple of things from the Discovery Channel Store on China (she visited a couple of years ago and really loved it) when the store was closing. And I've started makings lists of who else we're buying for and what we might get them. I can't believe how proactive I'm being ... usually DH and I are running around in between working (we both work in retail) in November, early December hoping we can pick up everything we need for everyone.

kaylamag
08-10-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm actually almost done shopping! When we decided to go to Disney in January, i also decided to do a disney themed christmas, so i've been picking things up here and there (Disney shirts, mugs, antenna toppers, towels, swimsuits, pjs, and lots of pins!). I was also smart and opened up a christmas club at my bank (since walmart doesn't have layaway anymore) i plan on using that to get disney gift cards for my cousins and brother that are going to disney with us.

ShelbyAD
08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I’m hoping to find a nice, luxury sheet set on sale + my discount at JC Penney’s for them
DH & I bought sheet sets from JCP a few years ago. We got the 300 count Egyptian Cotton sheets. They are THE best!!! We love them. :cloud9: We got them on sale for $60. We got them for a King (deep pocket) mattress & a Full (deep pocket) mattress. I'm hoping they still carry them AND have a sale on them so I can get them for my mother also. She said her sheets feel like sandpaper.

I'm really big on stocking stuffers and have found quite a few for everyone - just haven't bought them. If I see them again, I will start picking them up. Buying little by little saves alot of time and $$$$$ rather than buying everything all at once. The only thing is hiding it from the people you live with and trying to remember where you hid them. :blush:

i also decided to do a disney themed christmas, so i've been picking things up here and there (Disney shirts, mugs, antenna toppers, towels, swimsuits, pjs, and lots of pins!).
Awww you shouldn't have. I would love a mug with Piglet or Dopey on it if you can find it. hehehehehehe:fresh:

JanetMegan
08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm going to hand make a lot of my smaller gifts this year. Stationary sets with homemade note cards for the girls in the office and neighrbor chicks. Photo Calendars for family etc. So I better get a move on pretty soon!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I've started thinking about it, but that's about it! :D I'm kind of up in the air on what to do this year - Conor really, really wants the Wii (he's played it at his cousins house)...but, I'm not sure. :confused: He'll be almost 8 by Christmas but I don't know too much about it, so I need to see what ages the games are geared towards. Also, I'm not sure if he's old enough to understand if he gets something like that, it takes up a big chunk of what Santa would leave him..... (he still appreciates quantity vs. quality! :D ) So, that's my big decision this year - and of course, Mike is no help, as he'd love a Wii in the house! :mickey:

My sons got the Wii for their big gift last Xmas. They were 7 and 9. They LOVE it. My younger son is more hand/eye coordinated then my older son so he does great with it. The oldest does well too, even my 3 year old can play with it. Because it is Nintendo, there are a lot of great games for their age. My kids have Cars, Happy Feet, Monster Truck Racing, one of the Mario games and a sports game. They are all very age appropriate. There are a lot more games out now then there was when it first came out last Xmas. They have a few more games on their list for this Xmas.

I really recommend it if you are leaning towards it. DH was the one who wanted to get it for the kids last year. He was the one standing on line at Walmart at 3am until the store opened at 8. ;)

One little tip if you do get the Wii. Make sure he keeps the wrist strap on when using the controllers. Friends of ours had their 5 year old throw the nunchuk controller through their new plasma tv when they first got it. :covered: I had heard of it happening when they first came out. Never thought it would until they told us though. My kids are fine with it. They even get some great excercise when they play it. :)

conorsmom2000
08-10-2007, 11:23 PM
One little tip if you do get the Wii. Make sure he keeps the wrist strap on when using the controllers. Friends of ours had their 5 year old throw the nunchuk controller through their new plasma tv when they first got it. :covered: I had heard of it happening when they first came out.

We actually already had that happen at my brother's house the first time Conor tried it! :blush: He got a little too crazy when bowling and the controller went flying but luckily didn't hit anything and didn't break!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Wii - it definitely makes me more interested in getting it! I do like that it's somewhat physical too! :thumbsup: We were in NYC recently and went to the Nintendo store, where we all got to try it, and I have to say, I liked that it was something we could all play, as Mike and I could actually work the controller - Conor does have PS2 but he really only plays when he has a babysitter here as Mike and I have never really figured out the controllers! :blush:

PirateLover
08-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Jen, I would definitely take a serious look into the Wii for Conor. They are STILL selling like hotcakes right now and I'm sure demand will only rise again as the holidays get closer. I was just over a friends house playing Mario Party 8 tonight.
It seems different and complicated at first but it is perhaps the most fluid, easiest system ever released. I've been playing video games since 1989 when my brother got the original NES for Christmas.... I was 4, he was 8. If I could master NES at 4, I'm sure Conor can handle Wii at 8 (almost). Growing up I always received the major gaming systems for Christmas- I got Super Nintendo and N64. I always understood that it was a big and expensive item, especially when you take into account the games you have to buy. My parents usually impressed this notion upon me and I was always happy.
(By the way, if you do get the Wii, I would look into places like GameStop to purchase some used games).
Oh and to answer the original question... Since I don't have a job right now, no, I am not currently Christmas shopping, lol. ;)

ShelbyAD
08-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I will be asking my step-daughters what they want for Christmas or what they are "in to" and work from that. The oldest - 14 yrs old - is currently into candles. Will poke around to see if she would be interested in making her own and buy her a kit (depending on how much they are). If not, I will buy her some with some cute candle holders.

DH needs new pants desperately. He was on meds for 16 months (for his kidneys), once he was done he went from a size 38 to 34. Now all of this pants are waaay to big. But I probably won't wait until Christmas to get him some.

conorsmom2000
08-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Jen, I would definitely take a serious look into the Wii for Conor. They are STILL selling like hotcakes right now and I'm sure demand will only rise again as the holidays get closer. ........
(By the way, if you do get the Wii, I would look into places like GameStop to purchase some used games).

Thanks Maryanne! That's how naive I am - I didn't realize the Wii was still that in demand until my SIL went to get it for my Nephew at the end of June - she thought at that point she could just stroll in and get it....nope! She ended up with herself, her daughter and her daughters friend all going out to different stores (in Paramus, NJ - shopping mecca of the US! :blush: ) looking all over for it! So, if we decide to go for it, we'll start looking into getting it next month so we're not desperate by December.

Thanks for the tip about GameStop - we've shopped there for Con before and bought him used games for the PS2. We've also sold used game boy games that he never played for credit towards new stuff. Last time we were there we asked about the Wii and I know they said they had a waiting list - I may go back and see how long that list is and what they are selling it for! :D

Just to show how dated Mike and I are - the last system we both owned was Atari! :D

disneynarula
08-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I try to get it all done before Halloween. Since my kids are so young I can do it when they are with me.

Magic Smiles
08-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Since we will be in Disney World from the 5 - 21 Dec 07, I will have to be very organized this year. Normally I start shopping about now and continue right up until Christmas Eve with my DH doing all the wrapping the week before Christmas. Believe me it takes him a week to wrap everything, as no two packages are wrapped the same. This year I have told DH that everything has to be decorated, wrapped and all baking done before we leave on the 5th.
I have picked up a few small things, but I think everyone will be getting a lot less this year.

For Conorsmom2000, the WII is so much FUN! My DS got it last Christmas and it is fun for the whole family.