PDA

View Full Version : Advise Please... Going to WDW in 2 weeks and DD broke her wrist

princessgirls
08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
UGHHHH!

My Daughter Morgan broke her wrist on Monday. She is 6 and a total thrill rider. She got a waterproof cast on, and the doctor isn't concerned about her riding on the attractions.

What have other people done in this situation. The cast is only on her lower arm.

I'm hoping that we will be able to enjoy being in Disney without too many issues.

Julie:mickey:

GrumpyFan
08-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I would say, don't worry about it too much.
Most of the rides at WDW aren't that wild, so she should be able to hold on, where necessary with just one hand. If you're concerned, then just ride with her and help her hold on if needed.

lyle21
08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
i broke my wrist in 6th grade so i kind of know what i'm talking about. after the first week or so you get used to it. the pain isn't so excruciating. the swelling is no longer an issue.

i would think there would be few issues. i don't know anything about the waterproof casts. mine was old school plaster. my only concern would be strain. crowds bumping into her, slamming her arm on a bumpy ride, having to get it recast, etc. i would "baby" the arm, take it easy. at 6 years of age she may resent her limitations at the happiest place on earth so i would try to do special things for her like an extra souvenir or mickey bar or whatever floats her boat.

all in all though i think you'll do fine.

CU Tiger
08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
My suggestion is to bring some type of sling. The cast will get heavy and holding your arm down towards the ground, while you do a lot of walking, will cause it to swell. The swelling can cause a lot of discomfort and pain if the cast starts to pinch her. The sling will help rest her arm and you can elevate it to reduce the swelling. Just my :twocents:. Have a great time!! :mickey:

shan-ash
08-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Good idea about the sling, especially since Morgan is only 6!!!
I would keep in mind that her arm may get itchy. Check with your doctor if there is anything for that!!!
You guys should still have a wonderful time!!

Kairi_7378
08-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I broke my arm when I was 9. After the first week you're very used to having the cast. I like the idea of bringing a sling. I decorated a few slings when I had my cast to make them more fun. I would suggest starting on the slower "thrill rides" like Barnstormer to see if the rides jostle her around too much. Make sure to bring painkiller and get your free ice to keep swelling down. You might want to bring something to cover her arm up if she's tall enough to ride Splash Mountain or the Kali River Rapids. (I have seen waterproof casts fall off when they get wet.) When I had the cast, I had to sleep with my arm elevated at night, so I might call your resort to see if they can supply some extra pillows for her.
Sending some pixie dust that she feels better soon!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Sorry about Morgan's arm. (I LOVE her name btw, I wanted to name my DD Taylor, Morgan but my DH wouldn't go for it :()

You got some great tips. My younger son broke his ankle when he was 2 and also had a waterproof cast. They are great. It held up really well for the six weeks he had to keep it on.

I think the sling is a great idea. I would think she would be more comfortable with it.

I hope it does not put a damper on your/her trip in any way. :mickey:

Nekochan
08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
You could cut off the toes of a large sock, cover the cast and use it for pin collecting :mickey:

gueli
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
for one thing good luck.
The sling idea is excellent. I never broke an arm, but my leg on the other hand...
There is no reason that it should totaly spoil your vacation (or hers), but you should be wary of overtaxing her and the break. Odds are that you will have a wonderful time, hopefully the CM's & characters can help...

Be strong.
you will get by, morgan will survive...
Have a good day, & let us know how your trip goes.
:mickey:

SurferStitch
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
You could go to your local AC Moore, Joanne or other craft store and get Disney print fabric, and make her special Disney slings for the trip. She would probably get a big kick out of that, and I bet more than one CM will comment on it and make a fuss over her. They seem like they would be a snap to stitch together.

I've seen Princess, Mickey/Minnie/Fab 5, Tinkerbell and Pooh fabric at these places. Oh, I've also seen it at Wal Mart, too.

Have a magical trip!!!

PAMOUSELOVER
08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi, we are in the same boat. My son broke his wrist on Monday at football.:confused:
He has a full cast up past his elbow. I am hoping next week when he goes back to the doctors, they will cut it down some for us.
:thumbsup:We leave for WDW in 15 days.
We are driving from Pa. so I am a bit worried about how confortable he will be in the car. He was in pain for two days, but is doing better. He does have a sling.He is an active kid, that likes to go outside and it is killing him. I have a thread also on the vacation planning thread. I just hope he can ride everest as we were looking forward to that this trip. What are you dates, maybe we will see you down there!:mickey:

BelleBeauty
08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm so sorry for your DD and for PAMOUSELOVER's DS! But it is Disney and they will still have all the magic (and probably more so) with their casts.

I love the idea of making a Disney sling, or at least decorating it for Disney. Covering the cast with a sock and putting pins on it is great - you could also do that with the sling.

You might want to consider renting strollers. In the hot weather with all of that walking around, it could cause swelling and be generally uncomfortable. Resting in the stroller (even propping the arm if possible) might help out. I would also look into buying the icepaks that get cold when you open the package (or when you crack them), not using real ice of course. This way you can have them in your bag and use them when needed.

Enjoy your trips! :mickey:

princessgirls
08-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi, we are in the same boat. My son broke his wrist on Monday at football.:confused:
He has a full cast up past his elbow. I am hoping next week when he goes back to the doctors, they will cut it down some for us.
:thumbsup:We leave for WDW in 15 days.
We are driving from Pa. so I am a bit worried about how confortable he will be in the car. He was in pain for two days, but is doing better. He does have a sling.He is an active kid, that likes to go outside and it is killing him. I have a thread also on the vacation planning thread. I just hope he can ride everest as we were looking forward to that this trip. What are you dates, maybe we will see you down there!:mickey:

I'm so sorry about your son's wrist. That is a bummer to have the cast past the elbow. I think we may be in Disney the same time as we are there August 26-Sept.3. I hope you have a wonderful trip in spite of the arm.
Morgan is doing fine, and I thank all my intercot friends for their wonderful advise. I will make work of making a sling this weekend, and I am bringing my very reliable stroller. I have one nice umbrella stroller for each of my girls. I think that will work well.
Julie:mickey:

PAMOUSELOVER
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
:mickey:Hi, Yes we will!
We will be there Aug. 26-Sept.2nd.
We are staying at CBR!
My DS is 14 so it is a bit easier then for your little one. He is doing much better today.
He even tried to go outside and play B-ball.
Yes with one hand, he can shoot!:cool:
Good luck and a magical time to your family and you!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh me, I know how you feel. My oldest broke his arm the next to the last day of school (on the monkey bars) when he was in kindergarten. We had a trip planned to Six Flags Over Texas in San Antonio, which has both amusement rides and a water park. He also had a waterproof cast. I was like you concerned about him not being able to do things and have fun. Best Advice: Be sure to rinse the waterproof cast out each night with fresh water.
Let me tell you...Do not be worried. :mickey: He did everything he would normally do, :yay: including the roller coasters. :coaster: The only time it proved to be a problem was when we were in the wave pool he wacked my youngest in the head with it. :(
We definitely took the sling and propped it up with pillows/blankets while in the stroller during the day and also at betime. I love the idea of disney designed slings!
Hope you both find encouragement by this!
Have a fun & safe trip!
TxTinkToo!

Brainy Belle
08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
This is going to sound silly - I'm 22 and I recently broke my upper arm. I had surgery to get it repaired about a week ago and I'm going to the World in two weeks. My arm is healing up but I'm concerned about bumping it or getting it bumped. I was thinking that I might bring wear my sling even though I don't necessarily need it. Are there rides I should avoid that are particularly "bumpy?" Any advice would be great!

Jared
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I've seen guests with casts on virtually every thrill ride. If your doctor does not say anything is off limits, your vacation should be unchanged. Unless Morgan's arm still hurts, enjoy the rides and have a wonderful trip.

pixiesmimi
08-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear about Morgan and the other boy's accidents. This sounds like something that would happen to us just before leaving for WDW. :)If it is going to happen, usually happens to us. :) I like the idea of Disney slings. That will get them some attention from the characters. We are going to be at CBR at the same time, Aug. 26 - 31. If I see some children with Disney slings or casts, I'll wave or speak, hoping it is you. :) Good luck!

illini
08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Awww, poor Morgan. I hope she's feeling better.

My youngest DD broke her leg when she was 3. I painted a Tink on her cast. She got loads of attention for it, which she loved, of course. Not sure if you can do that with a waterproof one, but it was a lot of fun and looked so much better than signatures all over it.