PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of a Disney compromise on the DDP?

SignguyTom
08-09-2007, 01:16 PM
There really seems to be a lot of discontent regarding the new version of the DDP. What do you think the chances are that Disney will make adjustments to the plan? Such as offering a choice between appetizer or dessert, lowering the cost a bit more, or any other ideas? What would have to happen to get them to make a concession or two. Do they EVER make a concession at all? I honestly don't know & would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

I kind of wonder if the folks here at Intercot as well as the other boards are really in the vast minority, simply since we know what it used to be like. A Disney newbie making their first vacation plans to WDW would have no idea what they had been missing and might just think the new DDP is the greatest thing ever. Do you think the Disney decision-makers even read these boards? If so, what are the chance that they actually take the comments here into consideration. Hmmm...

Jared
08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I would love the option of choosing either an appetizer or dessert. That way, my family could split two or three of each instead of wasting food or not ordering what we already paid for.

Crow
08-09-2007, 02:16 PM
:thedolls:.....uh i dont think so
of course there was a lot of flack about something a few yrs ago everyone on the boards was against and they relented. I think it was dealing w AP and no resort discounts.
if there bookings or those buying the DDP goes down they might look at it.

LauraF
08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Personally, I think Disney will wait a year or so and then make any changes. They would likely review data on the results of the changes before considering concessions. Money talks, and so do package bookings. :)

The thing is, the more I consider the plan, the less I hate it. Sure, it's not as much of a bargain as it used to be, but it's STILL a bargain (on the order of 10-15% instead of 40%). I probably won't get it again, but who knows. The 2008 version is the way it is and we have the choice of using or not. (Like my mother used to say, "dinner choices are take it or leave it.")

DizneyRox
08-09-2007, 02:18 PM
They do read these boards.

The comments posted here are taken into consideration, however they would be taken with a grain of salt, since you're bound to get more people complaining than praising on the Internet.

I don't think the comments posted here will have any bearing on the decision. All of this has already been taken into account before the annoucement was made, they will wait and see what the bookings turn out. Seeing as though they did a survey, I'm sure it's what we wanted.

If people opt out of the DDP more than they predicted, maybe a change will be made. If they are right, then the bean counters were right once again.

My guess is there won't be any changes, people will continue to use the DDP thinking they are saving some money.

Wells
08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I would think that there is very little chance of Disney making changes to the dining plan at this point.
Remember that the current changes are adjustments that are being made based on the acceptance and profitability of the plan over the last three years.
Now that they have "plugged the holes" like distinguishing between adult and children credits, limiting the items that can be obtained with snack credits and finalizing the 1TS/2TS requirements, they are likely to keep the plan the way it is for another test period.
Another thing to keep in mind is that they don't have to offer a dining plan option at all. Most of the year, only a small percentage of guests are on the dining plan anyway.
Personally, I'm tempted to go with the deluxe plan and do signature dining every night, using the other TS for lunch or breakfast TS or CS...

Clotho
08-09-2007, 03:45 PM
My theory was and is that they are trying to get less people to do the plan. I believe that the plan as it was was intended to train people to eat at the TS restaurants, and get people who wouldn't otherwise have ever tried them to get spoiled and want to do so in the future. But pay full price.

So I don't think much will change. It was intended to be a bit less attractive so less people would do it, but would still eat at TS OOP.

I am still hopeful they will change it so you have an option between appetizer or dessert! *fingers crossed* It would be a small concession which would make a HUGE difference to me when considering it. I don't usually get dessert, but we almost always get an appetizer.

HOLITRIN
08-09-2007, 04:41 PM
If enough people contact Disney, they just might make a change - especially for the choice of appetizer or dessert. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago stating that I would like the DDP changed in this way due to people with health issues such as Diabetes.

We have people in our family that would not be able to eat the dessert because of this, however, they could enjoy an appetizer. So speak up and send them an e-mail or letter with your comments.

SignguyTom
08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
If enough people contact Disney, they just might make a change - especially for the choice of appetizer or dessert. I e-mailed them a couple of days ago stating that I would like the DDP changed in this way due to people with health issues such as Diabetes.

We have people in our family that would not be able to eat the dessert because of this, however, they could enjoy an appetizer. So speak up and send them an e-mail or letter with your comments.

Diabetes is also part of my DW's side of the family. Perhaps an e-mail is in order. Is there a specific e-mail address to which I would send it? If you can't post it here, where might I find it?

HOLITRIN
08-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Here is the address for writing a letter and the E-mail address.

Executive Offices
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Or [email protected]

SignguyTom
08-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Here is the address for writing a letter and the E-mail address.

Executive Offices
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Or [email protected]

Awesome! Thank you very much!

jszczur5
08-11-2007, 12:23 AM
3 words:
Zip
Zero
Zilch

TheRustyScupper
08-11-2007, 10:33 AM
3 words:
Zip
Zero
Zilch

4 words:
Nope
Nada
Negative
NoWay

snifflesmcg
08-11-2007, 10:41 AM
My theory was and is that they are trying to get less people to do the plan. I believe that the plan as it was was intended to train people to eat at the TS restaurants, and get people who wouldn't otherwise have ever tried them to get spoiled and want to do so in the future. But pay full price.

So I don't think much will change. It was intended to be a bit less attractive so less people would do it, but would still eat at TS OOP.

I am still hopeful they will change it so you have an option between appetizer or dessert! *fingers crossed* It would be a small concession which would make a HUGE difference to me when considering it. I don't usually get dessert, but we almost always get an appetizer.

I think your theory is probably correct!

jszczur5
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
4 words:
Nope
Nada
Negative
NoWay

That's cheating Rusty - "No Way" is 2 words.
How about "Never"?

TheRustyScupper
08-11-2007, 07:05 PM
That's cheating Rusty - "No Way" is 2 words.
How about "Never"?

It is spelled properly, according to the 2006 version of TheRustyScupper Thesaurus, Dictionary, WDW Guidebook and Sushi Handbook (Prentiss Hall, 1794 pages, $225.95, postage prepaid).

bicker
08-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Talk is cheap. Disney needs to see their actions affect purchasing behaviors. If they make more money this way versus the old way, because enough guests still dine at their restaurants (which is almost surely going to be the case IMHO), then they will rightfully look at these changes as successful. They'll, of course, make course-corrections along the way -- THIS CHANGE is indeed a course-correction with regard to the original Dining Plan, which was arguably too generous, and underpriced.

Magic Smiles
08-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Our family has never done the dining plan and probably never would as we could not possibly eat that much food at one meal. If we were to order an appetizer, then we would never eat our main dish. However we do like to have dessert after our meal sometimes. The new DDP is still a bargin IMHO if you enjoy TS meals.

magicofdisney
08-13-2007, 01:36 AM
It is spelled properly, according to the 2006 version of TheRustyScupper Thesaurus, Dictionary, WDW Guidebook and Sushi Handbook (Prentiss Hall, 1794 pages, $225.95, postage prepaid).
Prepaid postage? Where do I send my check?

BTW, I agree with all who say, money talks and if the plan generates as much revenue as before (or more), then there's no need to make changes. And from what I'm hearing, tourism is up and Disney continues to be one of the most popular vacation destinations.