PDA

View Full Version : Ladies can you empathize?

BelleKP
08-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Now let me first say that I am not, nor have I ever been a "man-basher". I am married to a wonderful man, who 95% of the time is fantastic! Helpful, thoughtful, romantic, a great communicator . . . so why is it then that the other 5% of the time I completely lose it with him!! :mad:
I have been away at a friends cottage with my DD for the last 3 days (my DH has to work, I am a teacher on holidays). I was due home Wed. around 4-4:30pm and it is a 3 1/2 hour drive non-stop. My DH called me Tues night to say that our Thurs. night dinner guests could no longer make it and were wondering if Wed. night would be okay. Now normally I would say no (too short notice), but this would be our last time to touch base with these friends this summer, as they are moving in 2 weeks time. So I agreed and said it was okay.
Now . . . here is where I guess I expected a little too much ;). I was thoroughly annoyed as I arrived home at 4pm to a house that needed sweeping, vaccuming, dishes done, dinner prepared, guest washroom cleaned, dining room table tidied and set up (just the necessities to make the house presentable for guests!). Well I was livid. :mad: My DH arrived home at 5:30pm (guests were to be arriving at 6pm), fully expecting me to be excited to see him, when all I could do was bite my tongue as to not blow up at him in front of my DD. When I explained to him why I was upset (having spent the last hour and a half remedying the situation), he said he didn't have time to clean up last night because he was painting the outdoor window and door frames :confused::confused::confused:
I don't know, I guess our priorities are a little different sometimes . . . . sigh, I have to remember, he is a "boy"! ;)
Thank you for listening . . . I am calmer now that I got that off my chest!!

IloveDisney71
08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I think we (ladies) have all been in your shoes before - I know I have! I love my husband to death, but I think men just think differently than women. :) Thank goodness for the other 95% of the time! :funny:

Ian
08-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I am married to a wonderful man, who 95% of the time is fantastic! Helpful, thoughtful, romantic, a great communicator . . . so why is it then that the other 5% of the time I completely lose it with him!! :mad:I'm not a woman basher, but I think I can safely say he's mystified by your behavior far more than 5% of the time. ;)

Woman and their inner-workings are largely a mystery to men. Although I have to admit, even I would have figured out that cleaning and guest prep comes first and window-fixing second.

disneydeb
08-08-2007, 07:32 PM
My husband never ceases to amaze me--- like when I am in a hurry to finish dinner and I ask him to slice a tomato. He then sharpens all the knives in the house before he slices the tomato or when he "cooks" dinner and has to alphabetize the spices first
I'm sure he thinks I'm Wonder Woman, because I manage to prepare dinner with dull knives and disordered spices.:D

I LOVE him! He IS the reason my knives are sharpened twice a year!:thumbsup:

thrillme
08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I think men and women are on totally different planets sometimes. Yep...I think we've all been there. Alas too he was probably just thinking of seeing them and to him the house was FINE. If it was a male/female pair...chances are the guy would have walked in thinking (I hope he has a cold one ready or...I wonder if the game is on??? I wonder if the little ladies would be up for a rousing hand of poker) the woman probably would be thinking (...I chipped a nail...I wonder if they'll notice that dark hair on my lip...I KNEW I should have waxed...then onto...I've got to remind Laurie Sue to pack her dolls and Bobby Joe has got to be at Tommy's party at 3:00...)

I'm sure the clean house is in there somewhere. But...I feel your pain. I've come home from work only to have the man of the house watching TV happily telling me that "a bunch of people are coming over tonight for dinner...OK honey???"

Dracula766
08-08-2007, 07:49 PM
In your DHs defense I ask you this...

Did you actually instruct him on what to do by starting off with "I need you to do the following..."
and then stating each individual task needed to be done?

I'll be the first to admit, yes, sometimes we can be that dumb :goof:

LauraF
08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh I can totally relate!

My BF is a human tornado - he scatters things behind him and never even notices. He's usually willing to clean up if he doesn't get distracted first. And he usually gets distracted by something shiny first . . .

I came home once from a week long business trip where I'd asked him to clean up the house before I walked in the door. I walk in to a disaster - empty water bottles on the floor, open bags of food everywhere, a sink full of not only regular dishes but PAPER dishes. (He ran out of dishes so rather than wash them, he started using paper ones.:D ) Here's the best part - I walk in and he turns to me and says "Sweetie, I did as you asked. I took the trash out."

!:mad:
He's lucky I didn't break up on the spot.

BelleKP
08-08-2007, 09:28 PM
In your DHs defense I ask you this...

Did you actually instruct him on what to do by starting off with "I need you to do the following..."
and then stating each individual task needed to be done?

I'll be the first to admit, yes, sometimes we can be that dumb :goof:

You know . . . normally I do . . . a list is always good . . . but couldn't you come up with this list on your own? Just once!?! ;)

magicofdisney
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
My husband never ceases to amaze me--- like when I am in a hurry to finish dinner and I ask him to slice a tomato. He then sharpens all the knives in the house before he slices the tomato or when he "cooks" dinner and has to alphabetize the spices first
I'm sure he thinks I'm Wonder Woman, because I manage to prepare dinner with dull knives and disordered spices.:D

I LOVE him! He IS the reason my knives are sharpened twice a year!:thumbsup:

That is so funny.

I once saw a commercial where a woman took pictures of EXACTLY what she needed from the grocery store so he'd have a clue what to buy. I keep threatening my husband with this. I appreciate him helping with the shopping, I just need him to get items I actually use. Poor guy hates to come home from the grocery store anymore. Other than that he's the best! :)

MsMin
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
It reminds me of a couple I know. I ran into her hubby in the grocery and he was buying beautiful roses. I asked- is it your anniversary and he replied, no I was supposed to clean the house ;)
Smart man (but I don't think they were expecting company).

Dracula766
08-09-2007, 12:32 AM
You know . . . normally I do . . . a list is always good . . . but couldn't you come up with this list on your own? Just once!?! ;)

AHA!!!

Ladies and gentleman of the jury, the plaintiff has stated "normally I do..." which indicates there is a precedence of making lists to be followed. There was no list of tasks given so I ask the court to drop all charges against the defendant. :judge:

ok... I really need to quit goofing around and get back to work :surf:

Dsnygirl
08-09-2007, 04:24 AM
:D That is so funny... I'm not sure what my DH would have done in the same situation - probably some of the stuff (dishes) but certainly not all of it! :blush:

Reminds me, though, of a situation a few weeks ago that happened to us.... I had to head off to work after dinner, and my girls had come home from camp at 5pm. I usually was the one to go through their backpacks, pull out wet & dirty towels, swim suits, water shoes, etc., throw them in the laundry and grab new stuff for the next day. Well, I just didn't have time this day, so I asked my DH if he could grab the towels, etc., and do it and he said, "sure, no problem...." well, the next morning, we talked before he left the house and he was mad at himself b/c he'd done just what I'd asked - he'd grabbed the towels and washed them - but never looked at anything else in their backpacks, and woke up to damp backpacks full of wet swimsuits, wet water shoes, etc., and he had to deal w/ it all before they left. ;) I bit my tongue and just said, "sorry honey...." and left it at that - he was already annoyed w/ himself for only doing what I'd specifically asked, and not looking beyond it. I just smiled... lesson learned....:blush:
(Not like I've ever done the same thing, of course.... ;))

conorsmom2000
08-09-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't know, I guess our priorities are a little different sometimes . . . .

See, for me, that line sums it all up right there - at least for Mike and I. Totally different priorities. Totally! :D I personally wouldn't think vacuuming the pool comes before vacuuming the house, but, alas, he does! :mickey:

AHA!!!

Ladies and gentleman of the jury, the plaintiff has stated "normally I do..." which indicates there is a precedence of making lists to be followed. There was no list of tasks given so I ask the court to drop all charges against the defendant. :judge:

:funny::funny:

I have to say that after (almost) 10 years of marriage, I have learned to be that specific with Mike - also, knowing that he doesn't have quite the same priorities, and that I can be a "bit" of a control freak :blush: I would have "gently" made suggestions about what "might" have needed to be done!

Just as I woke up to a note on my keyboard this morning about pool chemicals and getting the water tested. :shake:

Priorities...... :funny:

Momof2boys
08-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Ok, I think I'm in the minority here. My husband does all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc whereas I shuttle the boys to practice, help with homework, etc. I help when I can but with working FT with sometimes longer hours than him, and being on PTO my time is stretched.

We've had a time (or 5) where we've had people coming over for dinner & he left work early to clean & start the meal and I need to stop at the store on the way home to buy a new rug for the foyer, hang a picture, and buy a new Welcome Mat before going home to help him.

If he doesn't leave me a HUGE note saying Turn On The Dryer or Defrost Chicken it just doesn't get done :blush:

Thank goodness he loves me so much.

Ian
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I definitely agree that priorites are different between men and women ... also the timing of said priorities.

For example, DW will say to me, "Can you do X, Y, and Z?" and I'll say, "Sure!"

But like as not I have my own X, Y, and Z that also need to be done and like as not I do those first. Then I may take a break, watch a little T.V., surf the 'Net, read up on my INTERCOT, practice a little guitar, etc. before I get around to her chores.

Little did I know she actually meant she wanted them done right this minute! :blush:

mdearmas
08-09-2007, 11:10 AM
AHA!!!

That is hilarious! I agree all charges must be dropped! If there is no list you must aquit!
:goofy:

crazypoohbear
08-09-2007, 11:17 AM
AHA!!!

I Object your honor... Said wife was Away from the family home at the time of the phone call and had no idea the condition that DH allowed the house to deteriorate into.
Therefore, DH should have known to at least return the marital home to the condition in which it was left!!
Whereas for now the jury has no choice except to find the DH guilty as charged;):D

mdearmas
08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I Object your honor... Said wife was Away from the family home at the time of the phone call and had no idea the condition that DH allowed the house to deteriorate into.
Therefore, DH should have known to at least return the marital home to the condition in which it was left!!
Whereas for now the jury has no choice except to find the DH guilty as charged;):D

As Foreman of the jury it is my duty to inform the accused, one DH that we the jury find him guilty as charged! I sentence you to one day of proper marital home cleaning and flowers for the wife! Court is Ajourned!
:goofy:

ShelbyAD
08-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I am definately in the minority here. In our house it is the exact opposite. DH does most of the cleaning and all of the dishes. We share the laundry duties.

For the past few weeks, he has been working on repairs/renovations on our house - ok, just 1 bathroom - ran into MANY problems, so it's taking a bit longer and more expensive than he thought.

He has gotten on to me about getting the laundry done and cleaning the kitchen. I will admit that I am not the most domestic person on the face of the earth - so I really don't like doing household chores. I am hoping to get out of work on time today, so I can finish up the laundry & the kitchen.

DH works nights and is doing the work on the house during the day. He is completely exhausted. Especially with the heat being between 100-107 here this week.

BelleKP
08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
AHA!!!

Here . . . here!! I've hired the best lawyer on the INTERCOT block!! :thumbsup:

As Foreman of the jury it is my duty to inform the accused, one DH that we the jury find him guilty as charged! I sentence you to one day of proper marital home cleaning and flowers for the wife! Court is Ajourned!

Woohoo!! I win!:clappy: :yay:
Thanks for making me laugh everyone!! The situation has since diffused! But to just give everyone a laugh . . . the DH of the couple that came over that night walked in and said . . . "hey tim, did you paint the windows and frames outside . . . cause they look great!" :shake:
What's a girl to do? :D

crazypoohbear
08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Here . . . here!! I've hired the best lawyer on the INTERCOT block!! :thumbsup:

Woohoo!! I win!:clappy: :yay:
Thanks for making me laugh everyone!! The situation has since diffused! But to just give everyone a laugh . . . the DH of the couple that came over that night walked in and said . . . "hey tim, did you paint the windows and frames outside . . . cause they look great!" :shake:
What's a girl to do? :D

I was hired??? Cool, Is the check in the mail?? :D

Glad things have diffused.
Sounds like guys :confused:
You could have left the house a mess, the men wouldn't have noticed and just explained to the other woman that "I just got home, he left the house a total disaster, can you believe him!" She would have sympathized, they wouldn't have noticed and you all would just have a good time.!
That's what friends are for :D

conorsmom2000
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
the DH of the couple that came over that night walked in and said . . . "hey tim, did you paint the windows and frames outside . . . cause they look great!" :shake:

:funny::funny: That cracked me up!! Your DH must have loved that!!! :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-11-2007, 12:24 AM
You should hear Crazypoohbear in a real court of law. She is quite good. She should have been a lawyer!
If the husband lived alone, would he leave the house in that condition?