PDA

View Full Version : My sad story re: Japan ADR being cancelled

wagjb
08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I know everyone probably has their own sad story but I am a master planner and right now I am very frustrated:mad:

Today I found out that the Teppanyaki restaurant was not re-opeing on schedule. My son has gluten allergies and finding a restaurant he likes is hard enough. I let him pick any restaurant for our last night and he picked Japan. We made the ressies 6 months ago. I got a 7:15 slot so we could see Illuminations when we finished.

I was never contacted about the restaurant not being open and when I called tonight I was told that every restaurant in Epcot is booked. I had very limited choices on times and locations and settled on Spoodles at 8:50PM. I am not sure my son will find something to his liking and now we will miss Illuminations. We paid for the DDP so skipping the meal is not an option.

I hope Spoodles is good but right now I am picturing the end of the trip being a downer.

Well, I've vented and now I guess I need to get myself in a Disney frame of mind and put it behind me unless any of you have suggestions on how I could fix this mess.

Thanks for listening - errrr...I mean thanks for reading.

Greg.

KCMom
08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
I would call evey day until your trip, maybe even several times a day, hoping that somebody cancels something in Epcot for the evening you need. Good luck!

Pirate Granny
08-08-2007, 12:11 AM
I've eaten at Spoodles..it was OK...but we had reservations for 9:45, so that we could watch Illiminations first and then walk over...can your son wait and eat after the fireworks? How about Cape May's in the YC or is it BC?

You will have a great time...you can call ahead and request a special meal for your son...

:pirate:

Sunshine1010
08-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Suggestions:

-Lunch instead of dinner?
-The CS Japan place?
-I think there are other places to eat in Japan in that building - perhaps that?

Regardless....I'd leave the last night ending w/Illuminations. I think you'll be disappointed without that ending.

ElenitaB
08-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Sorry that you're missing out on Teppanyaki. My DS enjoyed eating there and it was one of his first forays into "adventurous eating." However, maybe you can leverage his choice and show his some menus from other places, including Spoodles.

I think it would be hard for any night that includes Illuminations to end on a down note (except for the fact that it's the END of your trip). We've always wanted to have dinner at Spoodles. If you're really not excited by the prospect, maybe your DS would like the ESPN Zone. Are there any reservations available at Cape May or Beaches & Cream? They --or the Yachtsman Steakhouse-- might be an alternative. (The Disney-owned restaurants will accomodate his special dietary needs.)

I do think that Carolee's suggestion of having a TS lunch that day (or breakfast) and then a CS dinner might be your best bet!

Good luck!

moe513
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I was never contacted either. I found out about Japan on interecot. I called 3 times and couldnt even get spoodles. I ended up taking 2 tables in France. Yuck. I would try to do lunch and a cs for dinner. We are going to do that because thats all we could get for Le Cellier. I dont think you shoul miss illuminations. I dont know you ds restrictions but the cs in the land pavillion is very good. I think its sunshine season. Good Luck.

BRJARE3
08-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I just called my sister to let her know the news. She will be in WDW in 2 weeks and has an ADR for Japan. Now she is furious, because she is assuming that she will not be able to get another reservation for the same time. I don't understand why Disney did not call people to let them know the situation.

wendy*darling
08-08-2007, 10:19 PM
My son has gluten allergies and finding a restaurant he likes is hard enough. I let him pick any restaurant for our last night and he picked Japan.

I have to agree that Illuminations is one of the best ways to end a WDW trip. I would keep that in the plan.
There is nothing in the DDP that says you have to use TS credits for dinner. Plan a nice TS lunch, or even a character breakfast for your last day instead. Then just get a CS dinner and watch Illuminations.

And remember, that with food allergies or other dietary concerns, most every WDW chef will bend over backwards to accommodate your son's likes and dislikes while adhering to his dietary needs. Don't worry about what is on the menu. Just make sure you speak with every chef when seated and let you son tell them what he likes. I think you (and he) will be pleased.

But, relax and adapt to the unplanned change for your last day. Call back and see what IS available for lunch or breakfast that day and pick your son's favorite.