PDA

View Full Version : Pal Mickey?

GottaluvTiggr
08-07-2007, 03:17 PM
I bought a Pal Mickey in August 2006. I am going to Disney World in September 2007. Is the Pal Mickey they sell now different than the one I bought in 2006? If there is more info on the new version, is there any way to upgrade? I know when I was there last year, they did not have the Nemo ride or the Nemo show. Since those attractions weren't there, does that mean my Pal Mickey won't work for those attractions? I appreciate any help.

Figment!
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I bought a Pal Mickey in August 2006. I am going to Disney World in September 2007. Is the Pal Mickey they sell now different than the one I bought in 2006? It sounds like you have version 2 of 3.

Pal Mickey v2.0 ended distribution September 30th, 2006 and Pal Mickey v3.0 started distribution around the last week of September 2006.

Version 2, the Happiest Celebration on Earth Edition, came standard with Tux attire.

Version 3, the Where Magic Lives Edition, came standard with Sorcerer Mickey attire.

If there is more info on the new version, is there any way to upgrade? Not to add information about new rides.

I know when I was there last year, they did not have the Nemo ride or the Nemo show. Since those attractions weren't there, does that mean my Pal Mickey won't work for those attractions? Yep.

Version 2's park knowledge should end with Expedition: Everest.

Version 3 was designed to "know" about attractions being added during the Year of a Million Dreams.

MMouse6937
08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Darn, I thought there was a way to get them updated :( Mine is the first one I think. I got it in 2004. I guess maybe I'll have to buy a new one. I really like him, but not if it's just the same old stuff.

Jasper
08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
So how much does PAL Mickey cost now-a-days?

Figment!
08-07-2007, 05:25 PM
The phrases and such are stored on the actual hardware of the doll. Currently the only way to get a new hardware is to buy the latest Pal Mickey version.

Locations that sell Pal Mickey's can do a what they call a "memory update", but this reportedly only re-sets some of the triggers at most. At most this can make Pal Mickey say different words to certain sensors, but it can not make him say in new words.

Due to the limits of infrared technology, only triggers are sent by the sensors (think of them like numbers). Those numbers correspond to a saying embedded on Pal Mickey's hardware.

For example if Pal Mickey knows the word "Show" (but not "Everest" ) and he is originally programed to say "show" to to Trigger 10. The afore mentioned update might be able make him say "Show" to Trigger 10 and 11, but not say a "Everest" to Trigger 10.

Barring changing out the whole hardware of the Pal Mickey, there is not a way for him to learn new words--and officially Disney does not offer such a replacement service.