PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Tink's European Vacation

Tink's Mom
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi All!
Just had to share my recent trip with all my friends here. Well, I had to have a medical test that I could not get here on this island, so I needed to go to a base in Italy to have it done. I had to stay for the whole week, so I decided the best thing was to do a little traveling while I was there. My DH could not go because he was working on a project, but a friend of mine said that she would go with me. Our flight left at 2am, and it was only a 4 hour flight, and with a 2 hour time difference, we arrived at 8am. My appt was at 1pm, so we just hung out for awhile. Everything went great with my test, and around 4pm we took a taxi to the train station, where we then hopped on a train to Venice. We spent the evening and next day shopping and sightseeing, and then we were off again on an overnight train to Paris.
We settled into our couchette, which by the way sleeps 6, us and 4 other people we have never met. I personally will never do this again. Some people are not familiar with deodorant. Anyway, around 9pm I became very sick, which we assume must have been food poisoning, and It continued until right as we arrived in Paris. I never slept. What a way to start the day! But I was determined to have a great time, so I went on like a trooper. We actually had a pretty good day after I ate and freshened up. We ended the day by climbing the stairs all the way to the second level of the Eifel Tower. The sight was amazing. Needless to say I slept very sound that night.
The next day we visited many sites, and did alot of shopping. Funny thing happened. My friend wanted an authentic french beret, and when she asked the concierge where to get one, he sent us on a 2 mile walk to a place where we could get "braids". On the third day I talked my friend into going to Disneyland Paris! It was only a short 30 min train ride away. We did not even get there until around noon. O.K. I had heard it was small, but it was REALLY small. We rode almost all of the rides, except for a couple of the very little kiddy rides. Yes, us 2 fourty somethings probably looked a little crazy, but we were having a great time. We finished the night at Planet Hollywood with a couple of drinks while waiting for the return train.
My overall impression of DLP was not really all that great. Yes it was Disney, but it can not compare to WDW. It is very small, which would be O.K., but it was so very dirty, everywhere. It seemed as though they never do any painting or refurbishing. If I had brought my family, and went to all of that expense, I would be very, very dissapointed. I did like the castle, and got to see the dragon underneath. All in all, I missed the magic. (and the VMK cards)
The next morning we started heading back. We took a 8am fast train to Milan, and then hopped on another train to Verona, where we were going to stay the night. Once in Verona, we decided not to stay there and head back to the base a day early for some well needed rest before we would finally head back home. Thats when everything got "Crazy". My friend went to look for some information, and some how we got separated. I went and got on the train, but I could not find her, so I jumped off just as it was pulling out of the station. Guess what, it was the last train to where I needed to go. I decided to go out of the station to find a taxi to a hotel, and that is when I realized that I had been robbed! When I travel I use my Mickey Mouse camera case sorta like a purse. I keep my camera, my money, credit cards and a lip gloss and such in there. Well, someone took it. I filed a report with the Italian police, and they said that someone probably cut the strap. They let me call the base, where I asked them to call my DH and tell him to cancel all of our credit cards. (Thank goodness my passport was in my backpack.) Then they sent me on my way. Which was nowhere. I had no phone card to call my DH, or nothing to eat or drink. I did have 20 euro in my pocket, but the train station had closed, and there was nowhere within walking distance to buy anything. So, I sat outside the train station from 10:30 pm until 5 am, where it was very cold and windy, very lonely, and very scary. When the train station opened again, at 5am, I bought a ticket to Pordenone train station, and with the 3 euro I had left, I bought a phone card to call the base so that someone could come pick me up.
Back at the base, I got into a nice, comfortable room. I found my friend. Who by the way had taken the wrong train and ended back up in Venice. Go figure. I finally got to call my DH and DD's who had been terribly worried about me. Then I slept very well before heading back home the next morning.
So if you are wondering why the "Crazy" in Crazy Tink's is there, It is not that mentally I am so Crazy, as the Crazy things that happen to me!

SBETigg
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow, what an adventure! I'm glad you found your friend and ended up where you were supposed to be, with some fun and trials along the way, apparently. Thanks for the report.

jjramsey
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
WoW! What a trip!!!!!

Glad it all turned out OK at the end (you are safe that is).

RenDuran
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Wow....I'm simply amazed reading that story! I'm glad everything worked out okay. You did have a pretty crazy time!

And I hope your medical test turns out okay.

terri.m
08-08-2007, 01:19 AM
That was quite the adventure! Glad it all worked out in the end. Too bad about DLP though.

Chescat
08-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Wow Crazy, that's something. We also knew somebody that had the same thing happen where they just slit the strap. I guess its common.

You did have an adventure and at least you are save. :)

chrisb26
08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Wow what a trip you had. It certainly did sound crazy. Also sounded like alot of fun execpt for the end part. Sorry to hear you where robbed I'm sure that wasn't any fun at all :(. Glad to hear you got back alright I certainly would have been scared to sleep outside all night. Glad everything worked out well and you made it back safe.

wizardmickey
08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Y'know, we had considered a DLP trip a few years ago & in the course of doing research had decided against it. The overall consensus we got from people was that the castle was the only must do there, and that the CM's/staff overall (and most guests) were just way too rude (especially since they hate us Americans.) We were told there was no such thing as patiently being in lines for rides or to meet characters as the locals would just push past you and smirk as they did it.
Now I read your description as we sat here contemplating doing some overseas Disney park for our 10th anniversary, and we're certain now it won't be to DLP!
Glad your Ok though. What Island were you visiting when all of this extra "fun" broke out?

Tink's Mom
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey Ice,
The island I am on is where I live right now.
DH's job brought us here a little over a year ago. It is called Terceira. It is in the Azores island chain.This island is the third largest of nine islands. It is only 18 miles long by 11 miles wide. It only takes about 3 hours to drive around the whole island. So as you might guess, there is not a whole lot to do here. If you look at an atlas, we are the little dot out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. We are 4 hours later than eastern standard time, so that's why I am never on late at night when all you guys are partying. Maybe I will just get up really early one morning so I can hang out with everyone. Take care.

Things you miss when living on a small island:
Taco Bell
Malls
McDonald's
Wal-mart (yes, wal-mart)
Starbucks
And of course WDW!