PDA

View Full Version : Old Disney Dollars?

offero
08-07-2007, 07:58 AM
While going through some of my old collectibles (comics and coins and such) from when I was a kid, I came across a 1987 Disney Dollar. I apparently was a big Disney freak way back when, because I managed to seal it inside and envelope so it did not get damaged and stuff it away. It survived a three day car ride and twenty years sealed up next to Spiderman and GI Joe comics.

My question is, besides sentimental value, is this worth something? I believe it is the first year Disney had dollars, should I put this in some kind of protective holder, or is it still only worth the dollar it says?

mook3y
08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi, it is funny you mention this. Recently we purchased some newer Disneydollars as rewards for our children to earn for our upcoming trip. They have Dumbo on them.

A couple weeks ago, my DS5 asked why Mickey wasn't on them. I told him I actually had a couple of Dis $ with Mickey on them and he asked me to show them to him yesterday.

Anyways....

If it is the 1987 Series A (serial number starts with A) from Disneyland then on ebay they go for between $5 and $7 if in mint shape (no folds, crease, dented corners, etc).

I have seen them priced much higher at collectible shops - $20 - $25, but have no idea if they sell them for that or not.

Personally, I got 2 in series and plan to have them framed - one of these days (been saying that 20 years now) :D

Definately put it in a protective folder. You want one that is acid free so that it will not dis-color the bill. You can find them at any coin shop.

Also, if you ever do decide to frame it, you need to make sure the matting they use is acid free too.

Polynesian Dweller
08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Disney $1 bills from around the period are generally about $4-$5 at the top end. As stated, collector stores will charge a premium. There are two problems with them from a money point of view.

1. coin collectors aren't really interested in them because thay aren't real money so are a novelty to them, They aren't around to bid up the price.
2. but the biggest problem is that they aren't rare. Its one of those items that thousands and thousands of people have kept as a souvenir. Not rare, not high value.

mook3y
08-07-2007, 02:53 PM
2. but the biggest problem is that they aren't rare. Its one of those items that thousands and thousands of people have kept as a souvenir. Not rare, not high value.

Which was pure marketing brilliance. Disney literally printed money. Knowing that many people would hang on to them.

It would be interesting to know what $ amount of Disney Dollars are out of circulation because of collecters. It has to be millions if not tens of millions of dollars.

offero
08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks a lot guys.

I could on imagine how much Disney has made on these dollars. I have an aunt who buys 1 of each denomination as a souvenir. And I assume she is not the only one.

Altair
08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks a lot guys.

I have an aunt who buys 1 of each denomination as a souvenir. And I assume she is not the only one.

And they will always be worth at least $16. A $30 T-shirt lasts maybe two washings, then becomes a rag.:mickey:

Altair
08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
A 2002 D series Tinkerbell $10 Disney Dollars note just went for $167.51 on eBay. While that is extreme, D series tens routinely go for $50-$70.:mickey:

Altair
10-13-2007, 05:00 PM
The Holy Grail of Disney Dollars, a $1 1996 D series note went for $227.50 on eBay today. This is the rarest Disney Dollar I know of and rarely comes up for bid on eBay.

Check those old notes, you may have a hidden treasure.:mickey: