PDA

View Full Version : Is Wishes scary?

watchaminnie
08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a 6 and a 4 year old. They are afraid of fireworks- like sitting in a football stadium with fireworks on the 4th of july is out. Would we be able to attend Wishes and Illuminations? Is there somewhere we could sit/stand that would be not so loud or close. And don't tell me the contemporary because that's just too far to make it worth it!

mttafire
08-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I have a 6 and a 4 year old. They are afraid of fireworks- like sitting in a football stadium with fireworks on the 4th of july is out. Would we be able to attend Wishes and Illuminations? Is there somewhere we could sit/stand that would be not so loud or close. And don't tell me the contemporary because that's just too far to make it worth it!
Actually the C.R. is VERY close to the M.K. and is a great place to watch Wishes. Actually, If your children are scared of fireworks it might BE WORTH it to try it there.:mickey:

Speedy1998
08-06-2007, 10:15 PM
If they are scared of fire works on the Forth of July I would say yes. Wishes is about 15 minutes of Fireworks and some light effects on the Castle. Illuminations is also about 15 minutes probably 1/2 of that consist of fireworks. Also there are quite a few fireworks in Fantasmic, but they probably make up only 2 or 3 minutes of that show.

dolphinmickey9170
08-06-2007, 10:22 PM
My suggestion for Wishes would be back toward the train station. We sat up there in May (pix in my profile - home page) and the "bangs" aren't anywhere near as loud as if you were standing at the castle. Hope this helps, my 7mo DGD slept through it.

4 DAYS:cloud9:

ibrowse17
08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
The Cont is a great place to watch Wishes if you can get up to the Observation deck at the Cali Grill. I would also suggest either the Poly or the GF to watch from. You could also get a fireworks cruise, but that may be a bit much.

Polynesian Dweller
08-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not quite sure what too far away to make it worth it means. We stay at the Poly and we find that the show is actually a lot better at that distance and the sound is piped into the Poly dock. Its gorgeous from there. You can also see Wishes from the Ferry or the Ferry dock at the TTC. Again both good.

Illuminations is harder to get a quiet spot. There really isn't one since some of the louder fireworks are shot off all around the lagoon. But in general its much quieter with some beautiful effects on the globe.

DisneyGiant
08-06-2007, 11:50 PM
We saw Wishes right before our own town's fireworks for the 4th of July - Wishes was tame compared to "normal" every day fireworks.

My nephew saw it for the first time this year when he turned 6. At home - he was still petrified of the loud booms and we had to leave!

Cinderelley
08-07-2007, 02:57 AM
I second the suggestion to try the train station at the end of Main Street. I don't like watching from there because it seems pretty remote, which sounds like it is exactly what you're looking for. I'll see if I can find the pictures I took from there to post, so you'll at least have some idea of what it is like.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2245621370100927225ugSYMs?vhost=travel This is a photo from the hub in front of the castle.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2986018080100927225mqfYyb?vhost=travelThis was taken from the train station. We were sitting on the chairs up there.

mickey&missy
08-07-2007, 06:46 AM
First, Cinderelley I love your Wishes shots! Beautiful!!

I agree with everyone else, try for a spot down near the train station for a good view and less booms. Also, you'll have an easier exit if their scared.

Wishes seems to be a little more tame the a lot of fireworks displays. I think its because of the music. I was worried DS was going to scared his first trip when he was 2, he hates loud noises. But he was fine. He was fine with Illuminations too.

Meteora
08-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I HATED loud noises as a kid (and still do). My suggestion is to get ear plugs or cotton balls (aka the low cost version of earplugs). My parents used to bring them everywhere they took me.

BelleBeauty
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree, of the two, Wishes is the tamer show. Illuminations has a lot of big bangs and fire and really no place to watch at a distance that would make your little ones feel comfortable.

I would try the train station platform for Wishes. It is nice becaue unlike other fireworks shows, there is music and narration. You never, this could distract your children enough so that they forget to be scared.

If they are scared, you have a quick exit from the train platform. Then you might want to try another night at CR or beach at Poly or even take the boat to the TTC and watch as you sail across the Lagoon.

Cinderelley
08-07-2007, 03:36 PM
First, Cinderelley I love your Wishes shots! Beautiful!!

Thank you very much.

I also wanted to add that, since the train station is at the end of Main Street, your getaway is a little quicker. You can see all the people on Main Street in the second photo. You get a little bit of a head start out the gate.

bleukarma
08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
As for Illuminations, the main show is centered around the globe in the middle of the lagoon. So if you aren't standing around the lagoon then you will miss the awe of the show, but of course that's where the fireworks are the loudest. However if you want to see the fireworks in a tame environment you could alway exit through the International Gateway and watch the fireworks from the Boardwalk. I was at the Boardwalk a few weeks ago and you can see the fireworks very well from a row of benches that is outside of the Atlantic Dance Hall. Since it's a distance from the barge in the middle of the lagoon it isn't that load. But there are pauses in the fireworks for the globe show in the middle of the lagoon so sometimes we thought the fireworks were over but they weren't.

Cinderelley
08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
I've been trying to wrack my brains for a place to watch Illuminations. Has anyone watched it from the Fountain area? How is the view? What about inside a restaurant? Would being inside help your kids not be afraid?

mook3y
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
I would suggest having dinner at Ohana's. Make your dinner reservations 1 hour before wishes starts.

They dim the lights and play the soundtrack that goes with wishes.

Then you get the full experience without the percussion.

You can also do this from Narcoossee's and California Grill (the one on top of CR, think that is name). But Ohana's is probably the most kid friendly of those.